Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: A MOOT POINT  (Read 42650 times)

Lulu

• "Big hair makes the rest of me look smaller!"
Re:A MOOT POINT
« Reply #90 on: February 28, 2004, 04:57:46 PM »

What a great topic you proposed earlier today, Panni.

I would love to "go on a date" with Vincent Price and Coral Browne.  I just have an idea they were a really fun couple. :)
NOW: Becca in "Rabbit Hole."

Lulu

• "Big hair makes the rest of me look smaller!"
« Reply #91 on: February 28, 2004, 04:58:56 PM »

Oh, and Roddy McDowall!  But only if he'll tell me ALL those stories he had saved up! ;)
NOW: Becca in "Rabbit Hole."

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #92 on: February 28, 2004, 05:00:27 PM »

JMK I look forward to the book.  It will be a success and Panni will transfer it to the big screen.   :)

JMK is doing his own screenplay, Jane. I don't want to hog all the screenplay work today! :)

Michael

« Reply #93 on: February 28, 2004, 05:01:57 PM »

Had a great afternoon with Jason Graae and Liz Callaway. My friends also wnjoyed and one especially. It seemed that we were the only ones laughing in the smallish theater which was made up of mostly older people who sat there like so much fish. They really are top notch performers. Someone should write a show for them.
Never stop dreaming.

Panni

« Reply #94 on: February 28, 2004, 05:08:31 PM »

Oh, and Roddy McDowall!  But only if he'll tell me ALL those stories he had saved up! ;)

I was once invited to a Hallmark Hall of Fame anniversary celebration. Everyone who'd had anything to do with the program for the last 20? 30? years was there. For some reason we had to walk down a long outdoor path to get to the screening theater. As I was walking I realized that Roddy McDowall was walking right in front of me. I didn't want to disturb him, but as the long walk went on I just couldn't resist. So I tapped him on the shoulder, introduced myself and said, "I just want to tell you, Mr. McDowall, how very very much I've enjoyed your work through the years."
He looked me in the eyes and replied, "Madam, you are a woman of infinite taste."

(I used a variation of the line today or yesterday with Jrand53 when he complimented something I wrote.)  
« Last Edit: February 28, 2004, 05:09:45 PM by Panni »

Panni

« Reply #95 on: February 28, 2004, 05:13:04 PM »

When I found my mother’s missing father, though in essence I only found  his communal unmarked grave, I cried.  The thought of it always brings tears to my eyes.  As SWW put it so eloquently, I had found the piece to my gaping hole.  One day I hope to go there and leave something of mine behind.
I think you already did, Jane.

Panni

« Reply #96 on: February 28, 2004, 05:13:44 PM »

Michael Shayne - Did you ever work with Tommy Ambrose in Canada?

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #97 on: February 28, 2004, 05:14:07 PM »

JMK is doing his own screenplay, Jane. I don't want to hog all the screenplay work today! :)

No doubt you will get the rewrite!  LOL.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #98 on: February 28, 2004, 05:49:25 PM »

Good evening!

Took a very nice leisurely walk through Carytown this afternoon.  Did some shopping - mainly some odds and ends.  Had dinner.  And now it's "Trading Spaces" time.

A nice quiet evening - which is what I'm in the mood for tonight.  -And since I was up "early" at 9:00 today... We'll see if I make it past the 11:00 news tonight.

So...

Check back in later...

And thank you for sharing all your stories about family, adoptions and "gaping holes".  :D
Make Your Own Luck.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #99 on: February 28, 2004, 05:52:15 PM »

Too bad we all can't see his photo albums - he was quite the amateur photographer. When SWW and I went to BK's taping of a Jason Grae album at the Cinebar in Hollywood, Roddy stood in back and was snapping away.

BK, being the shy lad that he is, spent the entire evening in a Trailer parked outside!

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #100 on: February 28, 2004, 05:59:22 PM »

OUCH!!

The first "rerun" episode of "Trading Spaces" is doing the follow up with the homeowners... One couple loved their room.  One couple did not love their room.  At all.  -And they apparently were "very kind" when they did the reveal on the show.  -It was Frank's "Red Lips" room.

OUCH!
Make Your Own Luck.

Panni

« Reply #101 on: February 28, 2004, 06:02:37 PM »

Too bad we all can't see his photo albums - he was quite the amateur photographer.
More than amateur, I'd say.There are 4 or 5 coffee table books of his photos available. The first is DOUBLE EXPOSURE and then, I think, DOUBLE EXPOSURE TWO, or something like that, working up to five. They're very good.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2004, 06:03:26 PM by Panni »

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #102 on: February 28, 2004, 06:03:01 PM »

I'm back.  I had a most splendid day.  Devoured a lamb dip at Phillipe's before my walking tour.  The tour itself was interesting and the weather was really gorgeous.

The tour was sponsored by the L.A. Conservancy.  They host a multitude of different walking tours of downtown L.A. (and some other L.A. neighborhoods.)  

Check it out the next time you visit Lalaland:

http://www.laconservancy.org/tours/tours_main.php4
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Panni

« Reply #103 on: February 28, 2004, 06:05:01 PM »

I have a friend coming to visit from Toronto, Jay, and she's been asking me about walking tours. So now I can give her the info. Thanks!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #104 on: February 28, 2004, 06:07:49 PM »

I have ONE of the Roddy Photo books UNFORGETTABLE HOLLYWOOD...very nice pictures.

DRJANE - I don't know Bill Rauch, but I would guess you are safe with the show, unless the Appel peel is involved someway.

DR PANNI you make me laugh....and yes, what a great subject...of course I would go out with the luscious Allison Hayes!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jay

« Reply #105 on: February 28, 2004, 06:12:42 PM »

If I recall correctly (IIRC in internet lingo), the question this morning was about reality shows.  I pish-posh most of them, believing them, based on what I've read, anti-intellectual, unfunny and, in some cases, mean-spirited.

One exception I would like to cite, however, is "Taxicab Confidential."  I only saw it a couple of times a few years ago when I was on business travel, as I never subscribed to HBO at home.  It's a variation on "Candid Camera," in which taxicab passengers, unbeknownst to them, are videotaped.  The cab driver encourages his/her fares to talk, and talk they do.

I was completely mesmerized by the tales I heard.  At first I thought this show absolutely had to be scripted, as the passengers were very articulate and their stories were incredibly engaging and touching and/or sad and/or funny and spoke volumes about the human condition.

But they are real stories.  The producers of this show must have gone through lots and lots of passengers to get the stories they put into the programs.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2004, 06:55:37 PM by Jay »

Jay

« Reply #106 on: February 28, 2004, 06:14:07 PM »

I have a friend coming to visit from Toronto, Jay, and she's been asking me about walking tours. So now I can give her the info. Thanks!

Most excellent.  Who says this here site doesn't serve a practical purpose?

Panni

« Reply #107 on: February 28, 2004, 06:16:07 PM »

Jay - I'm glad you decided to unselfishly share Monty. I've even written a play (well, half-written) in which his name figures prominently in the title.
I haven't answered my own question... I think I'd like to spend an evening with Dylan Thomas. He'd probably get roaring drunk, which I wouldn't like one bit - but still. Another one would be Leonard Cohen (which is actually possible - so it's not as much fun to think about). I lean towards poets, I guess, when it comes to fantasy outings, Monty we've got covered 'cause Jay is sharing. I'll have to think of others...
« Last Edit: February 28, 2004, 06:20:41 PM by Panni »

Panni

« Reply #108 on: February 28, 2004, 06:19:02 PM »

One exception I would like to cite, however, is "Taxicab Confidential."

Love it! I don't know when it's on, so I only catch it accidentally when I do, but it's fabulous. Within one show you can cringe in disgust and five minutes later be weeping or laughing your head off. Great show.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #109 on: February 28, 2004, 06:21:17 PM »

I am back from a long day of shooting.  We ultimately only had two marks go for the bit, but they both bought it hook, line, and sinker and there's some really funny stuff.  I got very sunburned (who knew a) the sun would even be out, and b) that it would be so strong), and now look red as a beet.  Both marks told me they bought the bit because I was so convincing and sincere, so that was nice.  At the end of the bit we did a Candid Camera-type "reveal" and our first mark was so hilarious when I pointed out where the cameras were that he must have lauged for ten minutes straight - really funny.  If I dyed my hair blonde I could be a surfer dude.  Thanks to all for keeping the home fries burning.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #110 on: February 28, 2004, 06:33:28 PM »

Taxicab Confessions - what people won't say or do if they think they are completely alone with a complete stranger....one they will never see again....  And the heartbreaking stories have stayed in my mind from only one viewing of each episode.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #111 on: February 28, 2004, 06:33:35 PM »

Nice fish, Danise!

Tom, I always love your bird pictures.

Reality Shows: COPS

Dream Date: Donny Osmond, of course. He's still groovy.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #112 on: February 28, 2004, 06:38:30 PM »

...I had a most splendid day.  Devoured a lamb dip at Phillipe's before my walking tour....
NOT to be confused with a sheep dip!   :P
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #113 on: February 28, 2004, 06:41:28 PM »

...I got very sunburned (who knew a) the sun would even be out, and b) that it would be so strong), and now look red as a beet....
I've always had the worst time with hazy/overcast days, the sort where I'd forget that the UV rays would burn through the cloud cover.  

On the other hand, there are golden beets, a little harder to find but I understand quite tasty.  Here's hoping that's the direction you head in, and that this just gives you a head start on a great summer tan!
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #114 on: February 28, 2004, 06:46:45 PM »

Oops, I’m very sorry JMK.  You wrote screenplay and my brain registered novel.

Panni, thank you very much for pointing out my error.

Jay

« Reply #115 on: February 28, 2004, 06:49:07 PM »

NOT to be confused with a sheep dip!   :P

Definitely not!  Phillipe's famous French Dip:  thinly sliced tender and delicious roast beef on a roll that has been dipped in delectable beef jus.

Lamb dip:  the same only substitute "lamb" for "beef" above.

In both cases:  slather with incredibly hot but delicious mustard.

Sheep dips are an entirely different story.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2004, 06:58:10 PM by Jay »

Jay

« Reply #116 on: February 28, 2004, 06:51:25 PM »

Taxicab Confessions - what people won't say or do if they think they are completely alone with a complete stranger....one they will never see again....  And the heartbreaking stories have stayed in my mind from only one viewing of each episode.

Taxicab Confessions.  Forgive me if I mangled the title.

I agree.  I can relate with some detail today the stories from an episode I saw years ago.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #117 on: February 28, 2004, 06:57:54 PM »

DRJANE - I don't know Bill Rauch, but I would guess you are safe with the show, unless the Appel peel is involved someway.

I can't find any evidence of her involvement, unless she hired the director. ::)  I will ask my friends for feed back before I purchase tickets.

Danise

« Reply #118 on: February 28, 2004, 06:58:00 PM »

I LOVE Roddy McDowall's voice.  He was one of those who could say "Shoehorn" and make it sound great.  

Humm, I missed the "date" question.   Not romantic just friends, right?  Errol Flynn? (I'm assuming he would have aged so a romantic date would be out.   I'd still like to meet/talk with him).   Geee...  Frank Herbert would be GREAT choice.  I'd LOVE to talk/ discuss Dune with him.  

Humm, it's hard to seperate romantic from "just" friend!

Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #119 on: February 28, 2004, 06:59:50 PM »

OMG two really nice rooms on Trading Spaces.....of course they had two designers who are interested in making rooms to LIVE in!

Edward & Kristie are maybe my favorites....where has Vern been this year?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8   Go Up