Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: A MOOT POINT  (Read 42681 times)

Jenny

• May we come to trust the dreams we must fulfill.
Re:A MOOT POINT
« Reply #150 on: February 28, 2004, 08:11:27 PM »

Thanks for your opposing viewpoint, Jenny.  I know it was liked by those who've experienced it first-hand.  I just thought it wasn't done well enough, and I wanted more atmosphere (even the geography of the camp would have been nice) and more with the teachers (who are just ciphers, really) and more joy.  I wanted more joy.

I've wiped my eyes and I'm ready to stop talking about "Camp" with nostalgia!  Okay!  ::Cracks knuckles::

I agree that it wasn't done particularly well.  It was filmed at Stagedoor Manor, an absolutely beautiful summer camp in NY, and I don't understand why they didn't take advantage of that location.  The acting is pretty crummy, and I agree that it would be nice for the characters of the teachers to be better developed.  At least in my experience, the teachers had an enormous influence on their students; in fact, the kids positively woshipped them!  They should have played a more key part in the film.  I certainly found the movie to be joyful (Especially the musical numbers), but I think that I might be misinterpreting your point.  I think that it's a great movie for people who can relate to the experience of attending a performing arts camp, but that's not an enormous group of people.  I imagine that "Camp" isn't the least bit entertaining for someone who hasn't experienced that, and it must be positively hellish for a viewer who doesn't love musical theatre!

I just saw a quote that relates to "Camp" that I really like.  Todd Graff said this of the actual camp that the movie is based on: "I was born at Stagedoor Manor.  The camp is like Oz.  Your real life is in black and white, but the minute you step off the bus, everything is in color."

Dammit!  I promised to stop getting sentimental!
"I am always thinking of myself, and I expect everyone else to do the same.  That is what is called sympathy." -Oscar Wilde

Danise

« Reply #151 on: February 28, 2004, 08:11:51 PM »

Well, it IS late here on the East coast and I think it's time for me to hit the hay.  I have lots and lots to do on the morrow.

Good night all!

Touch Magic, Pass it on!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #152 on: February 28, 2004, 08:14:01 PM »

Phillipe's famous French Dip:  thinly sliced tender and delicious roast beef on a roll that has been dipped in delectable beef jus.

Lamb dip:  the same only substitute "lamb" for "beef" above.

In both cases:  slather with incredibly hot but delicious mustard.

Hmmm..... Such wonderful culinary memories!  :D

Did you get a double-dip?
Make Your Own Luck.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #153 on: February 28, 2004, 08:17:53 PM »

I should rephrase my Anna Kendrick question. What did she sing?

Jenny

« Reply #154 on: February 28, 2004, 08:18:30 PM »

Jenny, my love, hang in there!  You're only 490 posts away from becoming a Goddess!   :D

Yay!

Glad to see you back, DR Jenny.

YAY!

Oh, and Jenny, don't be dropping off the face of the earth.  We like you here, and you write well and have interesting things to say.  So there.

YAY!

:)
"I am always thinking of myself, and I expect everyone else to do the same.  That is what is called sympathy." -Oscar Wilde

Jenny

« Reply #155 on: February 28, 2004, 08:19:49 PM »

I should rephrase my Anna Kendrick question. What did she sing?

She played Fritzi and sang the second half of "Ladies Who Lunch".  

CharlieToft

« Reply #156 on: February 28, 2004, 08:20:56 PM »

Yikes. I went to Usdan. Didn't go as a performing arts student, but rather as a painter and visual arts kid.

The only two things thing I really remember well are my painting teacher - a huge, flamboyant queen with whom I subsequently met up with (many years later) at a bar and the buildings on the facility which were very beauifully constructed out of dark wood with very large, airy interiors.

If I tell you what I want and then you do it, it doesn't count because I had to tell you.

Panni

« Reply #157 on: February 28, 2004, 08:23:10 PM »

For some stupid reason I'm still hungry. :P
I may have some cereal. Description for bk: Medley, the cereal lovers cereal "If you harbour a secret desre to mix breakfast cereals, it's a passion we share with you.".
It has raisins, apples, Cheerio-tyoe "O's", flakes and granola. AND I put blueberries on top. Just writing about it and I'm full.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2004, 08:23:51 PM by Panni »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #158 on: February 28, 2004, 08:23:51 PM »

Oh, Jenny, I love the IDEA of Camp.  And I thought it had the potential of being brilliant.  The numbers ARE fun.  By "joy" I mean we never really see the absolute joy that these kids should get out of the experience - I'm speaking of the characters.  I never got the chill factor believing that they had stepped into Oz.  That IS a great quote and it IS what the movie should have been but isn't.  Todd Graff goes on and on about why he opened the movie with that endless number, and I'm sure it made perfect sense TO HIM.  For an audience looking to become involved in a film, it starts the movie off on such a wrong note I felt it basically killed it.  We're all Monday morning quarterbacks or, at the very least, Tuesday morning half-dollarbacks, but it should have started with either the arrival at camp or a swift montage of our characters packing and preparing - something dynamic, fun, exciting and that would show the thrill of the adventure they're about to embark on.  Instead we get this strange number sung by characters we haven't met and know nothing about and it's just deadly.  

Again, there is no wrong or right, it's just what makes horse-racing.  

Panni, Anna Kendrick was the slavish girl, the one who "took care of" the spoiled rich kid, and then poisoned her and took over The Ladies Who Lunch.  I thought Anna's version of that song was really spectacular.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #159 on: February 28, 2004, 08:23:54 PM »

(By the way, I've found it handy to make a batch of roux in advance, which I keep in a plastic bag in the butter compartment of the fridge.  That way, when I want to thicken a sauce or gravy, it's already ready.

Basic roux: one part butter to one part flour (tsp per tsp).  Melt butter in saucepan, dump in butter and keep stirring as it cooks.  After five minutes or so, it should start to take on a nice golden color and smell slightly nutty.  This a) makes the flour blend in better with sauces, and b) gets the raw flour taste out of the flour.

Of course, when I'm making it in advance, I make more than just a tsp/tsp at a time, silly!)

Have you tried one of those canned - well, bottled - rouxs that are on the market?  Pretty darn good - and a big time saver.  Oh, these are rouxs for making gumbo, etoufee, etc... Cajun food.  No need to stand over a pot of roux, stirring and stirring for hours on end.  I gave them a chance after seeing a clip on "Food Finds"... glad I did.

*I also have to thank "Food Finds" for introducing me to Dinstuhl's Candies in Memphis, TN.  That Cashew Crunch is totally addictive.  And their chocolate covered grapes(s), chocolate covered strawberries, and chocolate covered raspberries(!!!) are amazing too!  They cover the whole fruit, so that the fruit stays very juicy and delicious!  -And they ship too!

And don't get me started on Jane & Michael Stern's "Road Food" columns...

-Hmm.. I'm getting hungry!  Wonder why?!?!?
Make Your Own Luck.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #160 on: February 28, 2004, 08:25:09 PM »

Matt:  It was indeed The Movie Game with Larry Blyden.  It was syndicated and it used to be on Channel 12 in Seattle when I was a kid.  I used to watch it every day when I got home from school

BK:  go to Ralph's (it's not Gelson's, but then, what is) and get the new Oroweat Carb Counting Whole Wheat Bread.  It's surprisingly good.  I've lost significant poundage just switching to it.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2004, 08:25:39 PM by JMK »
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #161 on: February 28, 2004, 08:30:12 PM »

Ooh, I'll try it.  That would make this diet so much easier - to just be able to eat sandwiches again.  I would be little BK, happy at last.

Panni

« Reply #162 on: February 28, 2004, 08:30:15 PM »

Panni, Anna Kendrick was the slavish girl, the one who "took care of" the spoiled rich kid, and then poisoned her and took over The Ladies Who Lunch.  I thought Anna's version of that song was really spectacular.

Oh Yes! I remember her now. She was very very good. I got chills when she sang Ladies - the way I always do when I see a fabulous musical performance.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #163 on: February 28, 2004, 08:30:53 PM »

Have I mentioned that I am completely red-faced on account of the sun shining on me all the livelong day.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #164 on: February 28, 2004, 08:33:34 PM »

Now this is a Saturday night, baby!  Has anyone noticed that we have twelve GUESTS as well as nine posters?  GUESTS, come on in, the water's fine.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #165 on: February 28, 2004, 08:35:43 PM »

I had turkey, gravy, and smashed taters for dinner, topped off with tapioca pudding with whipped cream and a handful of Dots candy.  They're selling big boxes of Dots down at Bed, Bath, and Beyond for only 99 cents.

Frustrations of frustrations.  Roddy McDowell left an autobiography but with the caveat that it could not be published until fifty years after his death.  Finally, the one bio I'd really loved to read and I'll be dead when it comes out.  What tales I imagine he tells.  Met him once when a friend was doing Charley's Aunt with him in Dinner Theatre.  Very nice man.

Was watching Roddy's and Donald Crisp's wonderful performances in John Ford's as-close-to-perfect-as- anything-gets movie, HOW GREEN WAS MY VALLEY last night on TCM...easily one of my top ten favourite movies of all time, probably one of my top five.

Dream Date...Sophia Loren!  But nothing sexual can happen?  Can't I at least give it the old college try?  Maybe first or second base?

Jenny

« Reply #166 on: February 28, 2004, 08:42:39 PM »

Oh, Jenny, I love the IDEA of Camp.  And I thought it had the potential of being brilliant.  The numbers ARE fun.  By "joy" I mean we never really see the absolute joy that these kids should get out of the experience - I'm speaking of the characters.  I never got the chill factor believing that they had stepped into Oz.  That IS a great quote and it IS what the movie should have been but isn't.  Todd Graff goes on and on about why he opened the movie with that endless number, and I'm sure it made perfect sense TO HIM.  For an audience looking to become involved in a film, it starts the movie off on such a wrong note I felt it basically killed it.  We're all Monday morning quarterbacks or, at the very least, Tuesday morning half-dollarbacks, but it should have started with either the arrival at camp or a swift montage of our characters packing and preparing - something dynamic, fun, exciting and that would show the thrill of the adventure they're about to embark on.  Instead we get this strange number sung by characters we haven't met and know nothing about and it's just deadly.  

I couldn't agree more about the opening number (Which I had completely forgotten about)!  I like to pretend that it never happened and that it was a coming attraction or something.  The film could easily begin with the scenes depicting the campers in their every day high school lives (Ellen's brother making fun of her, Michael getting beat up at the prom, etc.) and then segue into the arrival at camp, and that would be a much better opening.  I can't think of any logical reason for that song begining the movie.  I think that that "chill factor" that you mentioned could have been achieved had a character experiencing summer camp for the very first time (Besides Vlad who has no personality) been added.  Someone who could be completely in awe and overjoyed to be there.  Not only was the movie lacking joy, it also lacked the sadness that these kids must have felt at the end of the summer.  Come to think of it, the musical number that ends the movie is just as random and pointless as the one that begins it!  "Camp" has a lot of heart and it is a truly wonderful idea, but you're completely right that it wasn't executed the right way.  I think that Graff almost loved the subject of "Camp" too much to do it the right way.  It seems that there were so many experiences that he wanted to include that he couldn't properly flesh out any of them.  Also, he seems to have made it with the idea that everyone has had these experiences in mind.  This film could easily have been made so that people who went to football camp or, I don't know, horseback riding academy could relate to it.  Sadly, that's not the case.

td

• td
« Reply #167 on: February 28, 2004, 08:44:34 PM »

Bk is red-faced while td is incredibly blonder!  I took a long, well-deserved drive to a music store this afternoon (with the sunroof opened wide); sunlight streaming onto my too-long locks as the wind blew it all asunder.
This music store is fantastic, but, it is far from town, and I am even further from town!  Probably fifteen miles outside of the city of Pittsburgh, while I myself am twenty-three.  It's still the finest music store in the area, and I do so love a good browse.
I picked up what I went for (3 Joe Nichols songs. . .for a refresher, check out the notes from the other day http://www.haineshisway.com/community/index.php?board=4;action=display;threadid=188;start=150 ), the Vocal Selections for Thoroughly Modern Millie and a score which I've been searching for for years: THE BOYS FROM SYRACUSE.
Tonight I picked out the arrangements on the piano while listening to the respective cds; now, I believe it is indeed time for bed.  OR, maybe, I'll be a late-nite denizen again.  Who knows? Who knows? Who knows? (ah!  a jerry herman reference!)
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #168 on: February 28, 2004, 08:49:13 PM »

Jenny: Exactly right, and very well put.

Don't forget to visit The DVD Place at http://dvds.allaccessworld.com

I've posted my Camp thoughts there, and there a litte different than what I wrote here in my notes.

Isn't it funny?  As soon as I pointed out our twelve GUESTS, they took to the hills.  What is it with these guests?  

Jenny

« Reply #169 on: February 28, 2004, 08:53:48 PM »

And to respond to something completely different...

My favorite reality shows are "An American Family", "Subway Q&A" (Does that only air in NY?), and "American High".  

And I'd go on my celebrity date with Oscar Wilde.  We'd have a ball!  A blast!  A gay old time!
« Last Edit: February 28, 2004, 08:55:11 PM by Jenny »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #170 on: February 28, 2004, 08:55:49 PM »

Oscar Wilde?  Yes, you'd have a Wilde time all right.  I'm watching The Children's Hour.  Not so great William Wyler.  

Jenny

« Reply #171 on: February 28, 2004, 08:57:54 PM »

Thanks for pointing out the DVD Place, BK!  Now I have yet another site to distract me from my chem homework!  ;)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #172 on: February 28, 2004, 09:02:01 PM »

Post your thoughts there, too, if you have a moment.  We're trying to turn it into a lovely place and need all the help we can get giving it the HHW vibe or, at the very least, the HHW xylophone.

Jenny

« Reply #173 on: February 28, 2004, 09:07:00 PM »

Post your thoughts there, too, if you have a moment.  We're trying to turn it into a lovely place and need all the help we can get giving it the HHW vibe or, at the very least, the HHW xylophone.

I'm not sure if I can achieve the HHW vibe or even xylophone, but I have faith that I can provide the HHW synthesizer.  Perhaps I'll post there!  (Then again, I said those exact words to derBrucer about HHW months ago and it took me an awfully long time to actually do it!)

Jed

« Reply #174 on: February 28, 2004, 09:11:11 PM »

How perfect that I catch up on the afternoon's posts, finding things about Jane, JMK, and Tomovoz's mysterious family pasts.  It's just so wonderfully fitting, as I've had a strangely productive day...

My father's father, James, has always been a genealogical enigma (as is my other grandfather's history, for that matter).  We've known his name and birth date/location, but nothing more about him since he last visited my dad and uncle on dad's 8th birthday.  My dad had done some digging about three years ago, and found info about James' parents and siblings, but nothing at all recent.  Dad mentioned to me the other day that he was gonna start digging again, so I decided to try to help out.  Well, I was far more successful than we possibly could have hoped for!

I first found out that my grandfather James had died just in July 2002 (making it clear why we hadn't found any death record in our 2001 searching :)).  More searching throughout the day, and we discovered that my dad has three half-sisters in Oregon and a half-brother (we think he's also in Oregon) out there that we never knew about!  So, just an hour or so ago, my father called up and talked to his sister Rhonda, neither of them having known that the other existed before today.  Quite bizarre all this!  Rhonda is going to contact her two sisters and fill them in on all this.  The sisters know nothing of the other half-brother out there, so we're still hunting for info on him.

A very interesting day, I'd say! :D
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

td

• td
« Reply #175 on: February 28, 2004, 09:14:01 PM »

Verrrrry interesting, DR Jed, but, where is your father TCB tonight?
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #176 on: February 28, 2004, 09:14:31 PM »

Well, posting here is definitely more important than posting there - because this will soon be the most popular site on all the Internet.  Since you came from the Sondheim board - do you have all the Sondheim albums I produced?  Yes or no?

Panni

« Reply #177 on: February 28, 2004, 09:19:46 PM »

I had turkey, gravy, and smashed taters for dinner, topped off with tapioca pudding with whipped cream and a handful of Dots candy.  They're selling big boxes of Dots down at Bed, Bath, and Beyond for only 99 cents.

Dream Date...Sophia Loren!  But nothing sexual can happen?  Can't I at least give it the old college try?  Maybe first or second base?

First - the meal - eccentric but yummy. I see you're not on the Atkins Diet, FS Pogue.

As for Sophia - NO bases. I asked the question and I made up the rules. So NO touching, you hear? Anyway, she's too old for you. And what would the lovely Julianne say?

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #178 on: February 28, 2004, 09:22:10 PM »

Hello everyone!  I'm backstage (kinda) at opening night of Pirates of Penzance!  It's going really well, and the audience is the BEST!  They laugh at everything...

Wish us luck!

Tomovoz

« Reply #179 on: February 28, 2004, 09:22:56 PM »

Verrrrry interesting, DR Jed, but, where is your father TCB tonight?
My thoughts too! Why did you just not ask TCB for the family history?
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Up