Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]   Go Down

Author Topic: A MOOT POINT  (Read 42665 times)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
Re:A MOOT POINT
« Reply #210 on: February 28, 2004, 11:01:02 PM »

DR Panni - Re: Reading in Bed

I remember watching a segment on sleep disorders, getting enough sleep, etc., on a talk show a few years ago.  The doctor they had on highly discouraged reading in bed.  Since you're in bed, your mind is already in the mindset to go to bed, and that could affect your comprehension (if needed).  And if you happen to get really comfortable reading in bed, then you could end up associating your bed with reading and not with going to bed.  Basically a lose-lose situation.  My point...

Well, that "advice" has stuck with me for years...  Even when I really "try" to read in bed, I can never do it.  Once I'm in bed, I'm in sleep mode.  And on those occasions when I find myself reading in bed just because... I usually find myself waking up a few hours later with all the lights on, and the book or magazine or even my laptop still in my hands (or in my lap).

Point?  Was there a point?

???
Make Your Own Luck.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #211 on: February 28, 2004, 11:02:46 PM »

Late night trivia question:

What do Robert Redford, George C Scott, Martin Lawrence, Christopher Lee, Paul la Matt all have in common?

Where oh where is TCB when we need him?

;D ;D :o ;D ;D
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Michael

« Reply #212 on: February 28, 2004, 11:04:45 PM »

Where oh where is TCB when we need him?

;D ;D :o ;D ;D

I left a clue in the earlier posting
Never stop dreaming.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #213 on: February 28, 2004, 11:16:06 PM »

What a lovely bunch of coconuts we are, and what a lovely Saturday, thanks to all of you who kept the home fries burning.

Michael

« Reply #214 on: February 28, 2004, 11:28:54 PM »

Well I think I will try to go back to sleep. See y'all later today and to the west coast people see y'all tomorrow and I guess Tom from Oz I will see you Monday.
Never stop dreaming.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #215 on: February 28, 2004, 11:29:52 PM »

I watched "CAMP" tonight and can, to a certain extent, agree with a lot of what BK has said.  The only reason I don't whole-heartedly agree with him is that...well, my standards are lower.  (I'm sure I've admitted that here before. ::) )  I liked "CAMP" but I didn't love it.  I don't know if I'll still like it in a few days, but I didn't hate it.  I liked most of the musical numbers (of course), mainly because I hadn't seen some of them staged.  And I totally did not understand the significance (if any) of the opening number. ??? At first I was wondering if it was the last year's closing number and then we fast forward to the new year, but then there was no audience (shown) watching the number and not really a good transition into the new summer.  Not a good way to start a movie.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #216 on: February 28, 2004, 11:30:15 PM »

OK, BK -

Now I've got the phrase "I've got a lovely bunch of coconuts" going through my head... to the tune of "I've got a brand new pair of roller skates.."

Maddening, I tell you!  Maddening!

And it's all your fault!  (Ah, a Sondheim reference!)
Make Your Own Luck.

George

« Reply #217 on: February 28, 2004, 11:38:46 PM »

For the past many years I have never watched the Oscars live. I always tape them and watch them that way. I simply fast foward through and can generally watch the whole show within 45 minutes to a hour. Sometimes stopping to watch something in real time if it looks interesting

I have to tape the Oscars tomorrow night because my mom and I are going to see Sarah Brightman in concert in Seattle.  It was my Christmas gift.  I've never seen her live, but I have three of her concerts on DVD.  I will admit that I like her earlier stuff (after TPOTO) more than the newer stuff...so far.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #218 on: February 28, 2004, 11:41:49 PM »

Late night trivia question:

What do Robert Redford, George C Scott, Martin Lawrence, Christopher Lee, Paul la Matt all have in common?

Clue: A Movie connection.

It's nothing anatomical
Yeah, yeah, DR Michael, change the question with a clue after I IM'd you a wisecrack.

I've got four of the five, but I'm missing Christopher Lee.

Redford starred in The Hot Rock
Scott starred in Bank Shot
Lawrence starred in What's the Worst That Could Happen?
La Matt starred in Jimmy the Kid

All were based on novels written by Donald Westlake.  (Redford and Scott playing the same character!)
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #219 on: February 28, 2004, 11:41:53 PM »

Awww... Currently watching the re-broadcast of the Independent Spirit Awards on Bravo...  And they're introducing the Best Movie nominees with song parodies... So... For In America, to the tune of "Three Little Maids"...

"Two Little Irish Girls are we
In America illegally..."

-or something like that... very cute.

-and I think that got "I've got a lovely..." out of my head...

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

George

« Reply #220 on: February 28, 2004, 11:42:31 PM »

So, since I must get my rest so that I may be rested for the long drive tomorrow, I'm going to bed now.  Good night all!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #221 on: February 28, 2004, 11:45:22 PM »

I think the late-night denizens should get an early start on tomorrow's postings, so stay up you people, notes will be up in a mere fifteen minutes.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #222 on: February 28, 2004, 11:52:14 PM »

OK, OK, OK... Twist my arm... Guess I'll stay up until the new notes are posted... It's been a while...

WOW!  I've been up for 18 hours!  That hasn't happened in a while.  -BUT that also means I'm getting back to my "normal" schedule. ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #223 on: February 28, 2004, 11:54:35 PM »

Panni,

I've tried the Aktins, South Beachy thing twice...where you're supposed to be able to jump-start your diet by losing 13 lbs in two weeks.  The first time I only lost six or seven.  I just ended my second time for two weeks last week and went to my doctor who said I weighed a pound more than I did a month ago.  It doesn't seem to work for me.  My exercise has been sporadic (always is on deadline situations) too.

The most effective diet I started when I was in Bratislava on location with Draognheart.  My I ate breakfast at the hotel, usually cereal or eggs. Had a big meal with the Caterer at noon (my main meal), and usually ate pasta at Raffaella DeLaurentiis' at night or went to the pub and had the usual eastern European fare...pork and Pivos (beer...getting sloshed with Pete Postlethwaite is an experience.  Given the amounts he drinks, the man should be dead by now.)  I kept up the regimen at home.  Two meals. One around eleven or twelve...breakfast or lunch...some form of pasta (sometimes with chicken or something else).  Despite the carbos, weight fell off of me, I got back to my college weight of 175 at one point.  Of course, I was walking 4-6 miles every morning and working out three times a week too.  The real key is exercise, I think.

RE:  Sophia.  I thought this date stuff was a fantasy situation where there were no consequences.  My lovely wife understands my drooling obsession with Sophia...and I don't care how old she is.  I actually encountered her a few years back at the Century City Mall and I could not believe it.  At first, I didn't think it was her, because she just seemed too young.  I followed her discreetly down the mall into Macy's or one of those department stores until I finally had to leave for fear I would be arrested for stalking.  I got on the escalator and she'd come around the other way and was suddenly right in front of me again.  Even the back view was nice.  It was amazing the command of presence she had.  She was by herself, no entourage at all and strode boldly everywhere she went.  Passers-by jaws dropped and but everyone gave her wide berth and no one accosted her at all.

I'm rarely in awe of movie stars at all.  I go in awe if I'm in England and see someone like Michael Gambon toddling home after a performance or encounter Simon Callow at Orso's or Derek Jacobi on a street corner or Peter Brook coming inside a theatre before a show to check out the place, or Ian McKellen coming into my local bistro (in his pre-Gandalf days) those kinds of artists make my jaw drop, but not movie stars...Well, Cary Grant and  Laurence Olivier and Kim Novak...but no one else.  I've rubbed shoulders with guys like Stephen Spielberg at Disney parties and could care less.  But Sophia, well she's on a level all her own.

Jed

« Reply #224 on: February 28, 2004, 11:54:46 PM »

OK, BK -

Now I've got the phrase "I've got a lovely bunch of coconuts" going through my head... to the tune of "I've got a brand new pair of roller skates.."

Maddening, I tell you!  Maddening!

And it's all your fault!  (Ah, a Sondheim reference!)

Damn it, Jose, now I've got "I've got a brand new pair of roller skates" in my head!!! :D
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #225 on: February 28, 2004, 11:55:56 PM »

TOP SECRET MEMO
[/size][/font]

TO: Jed, Ann, George, Tomovoz

How can we possibly take over the earth, if these East coasters keep hanging around so late?

(This message will self-destruct)
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #226 on: February 28, 2004, 11:56:45 PM »

tick...tick...tick...tick...tick...tick...tick... tick...tick...tick...

-Is the theme for "60 Minutes" copyrighted?
Make Your Own Luck.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]   Go Up