Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: FIG NEWTON  (Read 16726 times)

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
Re: FIG NEWTON
« Reply #90 on: November 09, 2008, 12:33:13 PM »

And the word of the day is: VETITIVE!

I bet John McCain wishes he had been more vetitive with regard to Ms. Palin.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #91 on: November 09, 2008, 01:05:42 PM »

I adore every SECOND of HOW THE WEST WAS WON. I think it's one of THE most entertaining westerns ever made, and I never tire of watching it. I've owned it in almost every home video incarnation including VHS, laserdisc, DVD, and now Blu-ray (which features stunning color and a razor sharp picture).
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #92 on: November 09, 2008, 01:08:33 PM »

I decided on CSI: NY to watch while I ate lunch. Pretty good episode, and I was fooled by the identity of the murderers. I chose wrong, so it was a satisfying denouement.

I hope the seed planted in the episode to dispense with A.J. Buckley's role is just a red herring. He's lots of fun on the show.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #93 on: November 09, 2008, 01:08:51 PM »

Ann- I am sorry that you had to call out the robber repair man yesterday - did he show you what was wrong?  Pur current repair man is  plumber who had placed an ad  in the local "PennySaver"  magazine.  He is a little old man , as round as he is tall.  He is the one that showed us what was wrong with the furnace and told us how to start it ourselves - he told us that we would be silly to spend the money on him for for such a simple fix - its nice there are still a few honest repair guys out there - I hope you can find one to check out your furnace. 

Perhaps your local Craig's List might have suggestions?   

I have always found hard workers on Craig's List.

Well, I guess "hard workers" is one way to put it... That could be a euphemism - or not.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #94 on: November 09, 2008, 01:10:04 PM »

Good Afternoon!

Greetings from Bryant Park!

*And the Hot Chocolate is back! :)
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

« Reply #95 on: November 09, 2008, 01:11:34 PM »

I managed to watch 4 1/2 episodes of HAWAII FIVE-O this afternoon. My favorite episode of those I watched had quite a guest star list:

Patty Duke as an informant. Larry Kert as the man she marries during the show. Carol Lawrence as a newswoman/photographer and former girl friend of McGarrett. Lane Bradford as the mob boss.

I wonder if Larry and Carol talked about WEST SIDE STORY old times while shooting this episode?

BTW, Larry was quite gorgeous at this period in his life. He should have had a bigger career.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #96 on: November 09, 2008, 01:11:52 PM »

My favorite exchange at brunch today:

Me: So, does he need a website?
Him: I don't know, but he has a great body.
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

« Reply #97 on: November 09, 2008, 01:12:38 PM »

Another episode I had featured Robert Foxworth (very young and handsome) as a psychiatrist and Greg Mullavey as a genius psychotic making his life a living hell.

Matt H.

« Reply #98 on: November 09, 2008, 01:14:23 PM »

On another of today's episodes, Meg Foster and Richard Hatch played a young couple who stole babies to sell to a baby broker. Richard Anderson played the broker.

I still have 6 more episodes to go, and the guest star list for this season is already HUGE. In the episode I'm currently in the middle of, Monte Markham is the big name.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #99 on: November 09, 2008, 01:14:27 PM »

AMERICA THE BEAUTIFUL

(FROM YESTERDAY)

Rogue River, Oregon, 4.30 pm.

Lubbock, Texas, 6.37 pm.

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #100 on: November 09, 2008, 01:19:26 PM »

td-You don't have your grandmother's recipe or you do-?

Nope, that recipe, like all of grandma's was stored in her head.

And is now stored in your head?  You should write it down so it isn't lost.

Jane

« Reply #101 on: November 09, 2008, 01:29:20 PM »

The photos are beautiful.  Rogue River is about 45 minutes from us.  I wonder why I never go there.

Matt H.

« Reply #102 on: November 09, 2008, 01:52:02 PM »

Heading down now to settle back into HAWAII FIVE-O until TRUE BLOOD time.

WBBL.

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #103 on: November 09, 2008, 01:52:42 PM »

I managed to watch 4 1/2 episodes of HAWAII FIVE-O this afternoon. My favorite episode of those I watched had quite a guest star list:

Patty Duke as an informant. Larry Kert as the man she marries during the show. Carol Lawrence as a newswoman/photographer and former girl friend of McGarrett. Lane Bradford as the mob boss.

I wonder if Larry and Carol talked about WEST SIDE STORY old times while shooting this episode?

BTW, Larry was quite gorgeous at this period in his life. He should have had a bigger career.

Larry Kert was a big fan of Al Jolson.  I never met him, but he was the person responsible for my one person play on Jolson getting performed at the Florida Studio Theater in Sarasota, which led to several subsequent stagings of my play.

Had he lived, he would have played the role.
You can dream…or you can do.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #104 on: November 09, 2008, 01:55:15 PM »

Just had some eggs and an English muffin. 

DERBRUCER

« Reply #105 on: November 09, 2008, 02:04:25 PM »

The photos are beautiful.  Rogue River is about 45 minutes from us.  I wonder why I never go there.

Pulchraphobia - a fear of beauty.

der Brucer

DERBRUCER

« Reply #106 on: November 09, 2008, 02:09:40 PM »

THE INCREDIBLE SHRINKING EVERYTHING!

LATIMES

Steven Senne / Associated Press

A tape measure shows the depth of the indentation of a 16.3 ounce jar of Skippy peanut butter next to an 18 ounce jar of the same product.

On store shelves, stealthy shrinking of containers keeps prices from rising

Quantities of peanut butter, soap and other products are reduced to keep up with rising costs. Shoppers may not know they're getting less for their money.

By Jerry Hirsch

November 9, 2008

It is hard to spot what happened this year in the peanut butter aisles of local supermarkets.

But a careful look at the jars of Skippy on the shelves may reveal a surprise. The prices are about the same, but the jars are getting smaller.

They don't look different in size or shape. But recently, the jars developed a dimple in the bottom that slices the contents to 16.3 ounces from 18 ounces -- about 10% less peanut butter.

At international food giant Unilever, "we have chosen to reduce package sizes as one of our responses" to rising commodity and business expenses, said spokesman Dean Mastrojohn. He said the new smaller sizes are clearly marked on labels.

Unilever also changed the shape of its Breyers ice cream containers, reducing the contents to 1.5 quarts from 1.75 quarts. Competitor Dreyer's Grand Ice Cream did the same, shortening its carton.

In June, Kellogg Co. reduced the weight of many popular cereals -- including Cocoa Krispies, Corn Pops, Apple Jacks, Froot Loops and Honey Smacks -- an average of 2.4 ounces per box to offset rising grain and energy expenses.

The reduction wouldn't be obvious to shoppers walking down the cereal row. From the front, the size of the box remains the same; only the depth was reduced, Kellogg told The Times.

Dial shaved its soap bars to 4 ounces from 4.5 ounces but kept the size and look of its packaging the same, spokeswoman Natalie Violi said.

Dial didn't want to increase the price of its soap but needed to do something to maintain its profits because of the skyrocketing cost of tallow. Made from beef and chicken fat, tallow is one of the primary raw materials of bar soap. Its price has doubled over the last 18 months, in part because of increased demand for it as a component of biodiesel fuel, Violi said.

Consumers are confronting similar packaging changes in the toilet paper aisle.

In its promotional materials, the Quilted Northern brand likes to talk about its history of innovation. In the 1920s, it was among the first bath-tissue brands to be sterilized. Quilted Northern went "splinter-free" a decade later and upgraded to two layers in the 1960s.

This year's innovation was to shave half an inch off the width of its Ultra Plush product. Quilted Northern owner Georgia-Pacific said the savings allowed it to make the tissue three-ply instead of two, but it means consumers are getting fewer square inches of paper.

Shoppers on the candy aisle will find that the formerly 8-ounce Hershey's chocolate bar is now 6.8 ounces, a 15% reduction.

I love the "packages are clearly marked" bit; I'm sure we'll find:

NEW - IMPROVED -  SMALLER SIZE!

DIET SPECIAL - GET FEWER CALORIES FOR THE SAME PRICE!

der Brucer

Jane

« Reply #107 on: November 09, 2008, 02:17:23 PM »

I knew ice cream & other products were shrinking in size.  I missed Skippy has also shrunk, interesting method.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #108 on: November 09, 2008, 02:20:23 PM »

How can we still be on page four.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #109 on: November 09, 2008, 02:21:48 PM »

I'm watching a Demy TV film from an autobiographical Colette story - so far, about ninety percent of it is narration, which is a little trying, nice as it is to hear Colette's words - and even though there are others in the cast, it's basically a one-woman show.  Pretty to look at, though.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #110 on: November 09, 2008, 02:22:21 PM »

After that, it's Bay of Angels, then I'll take a break from Demy until Tuesday, when I'll start on the short films.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #111 on: November 09, 2008, 02:31:37 PM »

Is anyone besides me keeping tabs on THE REAL HOUSEWIVES OF ATLANTA?It's amazing how Bravo finds in all these cities a group of clueless, classless nouveau riche ladies who spend lots of money andact like fools. I've just watched the blonde mistress - not a housewife - of some rock or country western star "Big Poppa" who claims to be a country singer. She worked with a coach, proved she couldn't match a pitch on the pian, was advised by the coach that she she had vocal problems and responded "what does she know? I'm a singer." Yeah, a really lousy stupid one!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

MBarnum

« Reply #112 on: November 09, 2008, 02:43:04 PM »

I put off raking leaves long enough for the rain to finally begin today, so since that project is now on hold (hee, hee) I will maybe watch another Bollywood movie and/or take nap.

I am currently full of Indian food.

Danise

« Reply #113 on: November 09, 2008, 02:46:57 PM »

Hi all!  I am indeed safe and sound and in my hotel room relaxing.  Those wonderful HHW vibes have worked their magic once again!

I had a smooth trip.  A little too smooth--I feel asleep on the plane.  Which leave me to wonder if I snored.  I know my throat was somewhat dry when I woke up so that leads me to believe I did.......    Oh well. 

Touch Magic, Pass it on!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #114 on: November 09, 2008, 02:48:51 PM »

Hi all!  I am indeed safe and sound and in my hotel room relaxing.  Those wonderful HHW vibes have worked their magic once again!

I had a smooth trip.  A little too smooth--I feel asleep on the plane.  Which leave me to wonder if I snored.  I know my throat was somewhat dry when I woke up so that leads me to believe I did.......    Oh well. 

DR Danise, I'm sure you did not. Someone would have wakened you and told you to stop. Well, I would have.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Danise

« Reply #115 on: November 09, 2008, 02:52:04 PM »

I got a GREAT little PT Cruzer for my car.  A 2009 with under 200 miles!  I didn't know if I would like it or not but about half way to the hotel, I fell in love with it and now I wish I had one instead of Bonnie.  I love Bonnie but she is a gas hog.  (Say it isn't so!)

The GPS was the star of the show.  I preprogramed the sites I needed to get to before I left home and didn't have a bit of a problem finding my way around.  I'll confess there was some rather steep hills and some very winding curves but I just slowed down.  It the people behind me didn't like it then that was their problem.  I drove in what was a safe manner for myself.  I wasn't going to go around some of those curves at 50 mph not knowing what was on the other side.

Sadly I saw a poor deer on the side of one of the roads.  It broke my heart.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2008, 02:53:46 PM by Danise »
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Jane

« Reply #116 on: November 09, 2008, 02:52:10 PM »

DR elmore have you ever woken a stranger up during a flight & told them to stop snoring?  I haven't no matter how much I wanted to.

Not to make you feel worse Danise, I think it is funny.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #117 on: November 09, 2008, 02:52:35 PM »

She worked with a coach...

Not to be confused with those that work with a couch.

der Brucer

Or does that come later in the show?

Jane

« Reply #118 on: November 09, 2008, 02:53:10 PM »

DR Danise, glad you are enjoying your rental car :)

Jane

« Reply #119 on: November 09, 2008, 02:54:19 PM »

DR Danise, did you do what you went there to do, or are you scouting your options first ;)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8   Go Up