Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: I'M GONNA WASH THE NOTES RIGHT OUT OF MY HAIR AND SEND THEM ON THEIR WAY  (Read 22283 times)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
Re: I'M GONNA WASH THE NOTES RIGHT OUT OF MY HAIR AND SEND THEM ON THEIR WAY
« Reply #30 on: November 30, 2008, 07:17:44 AM »

Good morning!

Rainier and colder than yesterday. Ugh! But we need the rain. We're running about 2 1/2 inches below normal of rainfall for the year, so every little bit helps.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #31 on: November 30, 2008, 07:17:57 AM »

Page Two Dance!!!

Matt H.

« Reply #32 on: November 30, 2008, 07:18:59 AM »

I'll be working on the next Criterion Blu-ray today: THE MAN WHO FELL TO EARTH. Haven't seen it in decades, so I'm sure much about it I will have forgotten. And it's LONG, so I'll likely be working on the bonus features into the evening.

Matt H.

« Reply #33 on: November 30, 2008, 07:20:46 AM »

On TV Tonight!™

ABC - EXTREME HOME MAKEOVER, DESPERATE HOUSEWIVES, BROTHERS & SISTERS
CBS - THE AMAZING RACE, COLD CASE, THE UNIT
NBC - NFL FOOTBALL (Chicago bears vs. Minnesota Vikings)
SHO - DEXTER

Matt H.

« Reply #34 on: November 30, 2008, 07:22:26 AM »

The score for SOUTH PACIFIC is one of the greats, and in the right hands, the show can be great, too. But I have seen SO many deadly dull productions of SOUTH PACIFIC. And the Glenn Close movie remake was badly cast and left a sour taste in the mouth for the show as well.

Sorry I couldn't see this first class production at Lincoln Center.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #35 on: November 30, 2008, 07:28:46 AM »

Good morning, all! I'm in a hybernatorial mood: last night I was in bed by 9:00, so I missed a phone call from BK some time later inviting me to join him and Adam.  Would that I could have but I was in limbo. I hope to see both of them tonight at the band rehearsal.

I love this SOUTH PACIFIC production and I'm a believer in the reinstatement of "My Girl Back Home" for several reasons:
   1. it's one more reinforcement of the theme of young Americans uprooted and moved to far sections of an unfamiliar world to cope as best they can in an irrational battlefield and once there forced to face their limited knowledge learned in their smalltown upbringing. I think the song is better placed in Act One than Act Two because Cable's smarter in Act Two and knows more about being "carefully taught."
   2. It's a good bonding moment for Nellie and Cable because, with all of the military personnel in and out of that musical, she needs a moment to get closer to him since their stories interlock so completely.

I do hope, BK, that you got to see the "big band" approach to the Entr'Acte, one of my favorite moments.

Today, Frank Loesser et moi and around 6 pm I will walk down to Carroll Studios, styraight down West End Avenue to 55th Street.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #36 on: November 30, 2008, 07:33:34 AM »

Thanks, BK, for the lovely review of South Pacific.  I love the CD and would love to see the show in New York.  I've only seen a couple of high school productions.  They were adequate for high school, but they were still high school.

George, too bad you didn't go see the Tacoma Musical Playhouse of SOUTH PACIFIC last month.  It was a wonderful production.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #37 on: November 30, 2008, 07:38:10 AM »

I am SO ANGRY right now I could choke a horse, and would if only there were a horse in my room.  I got down to the fitness room a little earlier than I thought.  There was one guy in there.  On MY machine.  Okay.  All machines are created equal, so I got on the second machine.  The man on the first machine seemed to be going at exactly my pace that I normally do on that machine, and glancing over at his control panel I was correct in that assumption.  So, I start up my machine.  I take it up to about three on the speed meter to begin walking for the first thirty seconds before I notch it up and begin running.  At three, I'm going almost as fast as he is.  I can't believe it.  So, I notch it up to exactly where I notch the other machine - to 5.7.  Now, when the machine reaches 5.7 it's supposed to immediately change the speed to what you're actually doing - and when the other machine reaches 5.7 it immediately changes to MY jogging speed of about 8.2, which I then notch up to about 8.5 during the run.  Well, the second machine reaches 5.7 and DOESN'T change.  Not only does it not change but I KNOW I'm going at least two clicks faster than I've ever gone on the other machine - in other words I have to be going about 10.2.  I don't get it, but I go with it because it's so annoying to me.  I then realize that the calories and distance is going to be half or more of what I do on the other machine, and that was exactly right.  Keep in mind, that when I did 6.9 miles on the other machine (my highest) and burned 1050 calories, it took just under fifty minutes, and I was going much faster than I've ever gone on my real run.  Today, on machine two I did thirty-five minutes and the machine totals were 370 calories burned and 3.6 miles run.  Keep in mind, that even when I did the 6.9 miles, I was NEVER EVER winded.  EVER.  On this lovely sickening stupid machine I was winded for the first time since July, and after ten minutes.  I was sweating nine minutes into the run.  By twenty minutes I thought I was going to die.   And all the while, this unmitigated TURD next to me is doing MY pace on MY machine.  He finally quite after about thirty minutes, and when I could take no more, I got on MY machine and sure enough, I got it to the exact speed I was going on the other machine and it was indeed 10.1 or so on the speed meter.  Which means I would have done something like 6.5 miles in thirty-five minutes and would have burned off 1000 calories or so.  And now I'm up here so exhausted and annoyed I could choke a horse - or, better yet, choke the living life out of that A-HOLE who took MY machine.  I shall now begin work on my lighting and projection script.  Oh, well, I'm not running tomorrow so maybe it was good.

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #38 on: November 30, 2008, 07:50:00 AM »

I am SO ANGRY right now I could choke a horse, and would if only there were a horse in my room.  I got down to the fitness room a little earlier than I thought.  There was one guy in there.  On MY machine.  Okay.  All machines are created equal, so I got on the second machine.  The man on the first machine seemed to be going at exactly my pace that I normally do on that machine, and glancing over at his control panel I was correct in that assumption.  So, I start up my machine.  I take it up to about three on the speed meter to begin walking for the first thirty seconds before I notch it up and begin running.  At three, I'm going almost as fast as he is.  I can't believe it.  So, I notch it up to exactly where I notch the other machine - to 5.7.  Now, when the machine reaches 5.7 it's supposed to immediately change the speed to what you're actually doing - and when the other machine reaches 5.7 it immediately changes to MY jogging speed of about 8.2, which I then notch up to about 8.5 during the run.  Well, the second machine reaches 5.7 and DOESN'T change.  Not only does it not change but I KNOW I'm going at least two clicks faster than I've ever gone on the other machine - in other words I have to be going about 10.2.  I don't get it, but I go with it because it's so annoying to me.  I then realize that the calories and distance is going to be half or more of what I do on the other machine, and that was exactly right.  Keep in mind, that when I did 6.9 miles on the other machine (my highest) and burned 1050 calories, it took just under fifty minutes, and I was going much faster than I've ever gone on my real run.  Today, on machine two I did thirty-five minutes and the machine totals were 370 calories burned and 3.6 miles run.  Keep in mind, that even when I did the 6.9 miles, I was NEVER EVER winded.  EVER.  On this lovely sickening stupid machine I was winded for the first time since July, and after ten minutes.  I was sweating nine minutes into the run.  By twenty minutes I thought I was going to die.   And all the while, this unmitigated TURD next to me is doing MY pace on MY machine.  He finally quite after about thirty minutes, and when I could take no more, I got on MY machine and sure enough, I got it to the exact speed I was going on the other machine and it was indeed 10.1 or so on the speed meter.  Which means I would have done something like 6.5 miles in thirty-five minutes and would have burned off 1000 calories or so.  And now I'm up here so exhausted and annoyed I could choke a horse - or, better yet, choke the living life out of that A-HOLE who took MY machine.  I shall now begin work on my lighting and projection script.  Oh, well, I'm not running tomorrow so maybe it was good.

Poor baby!
 :D
You can dream…or you can do.

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #39 on: November 30, 2008, 07:53:40 AM »

Today is going to be our family Thanksgiving dinner day.

Our 3 sons (sounds like a good title for a TV show, doesn't it?) are coming over for turkey and all that other good stuff.

:)
You can dream…or you can do.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #40 on: November 30, 2008, 08:25:39 AM »

Free for all day......

I watched the opening credits of HOW THE WEST WAS WON on Friday night.....one producer in the credits....ONE....for this huge movie.

Now every movie, no matter how small or crappy, has at least six Executive P, Producer, Associate P, Also P by.....  Does it take that many more people or that much more money....or have billing requirements changed?

I am sure that much changed after HTHWW as the Producer's Guild of America )just then being formed) exerted their influence. Since 1985 Health & Welfare and Pension benefits have been tied to Production credits.

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Matt H.

« Reply #41 on: November 30, 2008, 08:27:11 AM »

I'm heading down now to get laundry sorted and ready for washing later. Then, I'll start thinking about what's for lunch.

WBBL.

Cillaliz

« Reply #42 on: November 30, 2008, 08:33:28 AM »

DR Druxy, hope you have a wonderful day with your family

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #43 on: November 30, 2008, 08:37:07 AM »

I am SO ANGRY right now I could choke a horse, and would if only there were a horse in my room.  I got down to the fitness room a little earlier than I thought.  There was one guy in there.  On MY machine.  Okay.  All machines are created equal, so I got on the second machine.  The man on the first machine seemed to be going at exactly my pace that I normally do on that machine, and glancing over at his control panel I was correct in that assumption.  So, I start up my machine.  I take it up to about three on the speed meter to begin walking for the first thirty seconds before I notch it up and begin running.  At three, I'm going almost as fast as he is.  I can't believe it.  So, I notch it up to exactly where I notch the other machine - to 5.7.  Now, when the machine reaches 5.7 it's supposed to immediately change the speed to what you're actually doing - and when the other machine reaches 5.7 it immediately changes to MY jogging speed of about 8.2, which I then notch up to about 8.5 during the run.  Well, the second machine reaches 5.7 and DOESN'T change.  Not only does it not change but I KNOW I'm going at least two clicks faster than I've ever gone on the other machine - in other words I have to be going about 10.2.  I don't get it, but I go with it because it's so annoying to me.  I then realize that the calories and distance is going to be half or more of what I do on the other machine, and that was exactly right.  Keep in mind, that when I did 6.9 miles on the other machine (my highest) and burned 1050 calories, it took just under fifty minutes, and I was going much faster than I've ever gone on my real run.  Today, on machine two I did thirty-five minutes and the machine totals were 370 calories burned and 3.6 miles run.  Keep in mind, that even when I did the 6.9 miles, I was NEVER EVER winded.  EVER.  On this lovely sickening stupid machine I was winded for the first time since July, and after ten minutes.  I was sweating nine minutes into the run.  By twenty minutes I thought I was going to die.   And all the while, this unmitigated TURD next to me is doing MY pace on MY machine.  He finally quite after about thirty minutes, and when I could take no more, I got on MY machine and sure enough, I got it to the exact speed I was going on the other machine and it was indeed 10.1 or so on the speed meter.  Which means I would have done something like 6.5 miles in thirty-five minutes and would have burned off 1000 calories or so.  And now I'm up here so exhausted and annoyed I could choke a horse - or, better yet, choke the living life out of that A-HOLE who took MY machine.  I shall now begin work on my lighting and projection script.  Oh, well, I'm not running tomorrow so maybe it was good.

Poor baby!
 :D

Yes, it does seem BK has caught up with the "Me" generation's sense of entitlement.

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #44 on: November 30, 2008, 08:41:14 AM »

I've finished the lighting and projection script - faster than I thought.  I'm a little nauseous from the extreme exertion of that stupid second machine - I really should have stopped but I get ornery, which is pointless.

Cillaliz

« Reply #45 on: November 30, 2008, 08:43:50 AM »

While I was away the squirrels ate a hole in the top of the bird house, the garage door broke and the fire alarm battery went into low battery alert mode.  Thanks to a phone call from my cat sitter, I was able to call and get the garage door fixed before we got home.  I replaced the batteries within minutes of arriving home and now it's time to go get a new bird feeder.  I may also get a new bird feeder or two

td

• td
« Reply #46 on: November 30, 2008, 08:44:37 AM »

Yucky day here.
I've just finished a batch of Chex cookies - making them, not eating them.
Perhaps now I should gather up clothes and do a load or two of laundry.

Our handyman was here yesterday, so all of the seasonal decorations are up, inside and out.
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Cillaliz

« Reply #47 on: November 30, 2008, 08:46:27 AM »

Yucky day here.
I've just finished a batch of Chex cookies - making them, not eating them.
Perhaps now I should gather up clothes and do a load or two of laundry.

Our handyman was here yesterday, so all of the seasonal decorations are up, inside and out.

Chex cookies?  I've had chex mix, but not cookies....will you share the recipe?

td

• td
« Reply #48 on: November 30, 2008, 08:50:36 AM »

This is the recipe I used:
1 1/4 c. sugar
1 1/4 c. white corn syrup
1 1/4 c. peanut butter
1 tsp. vanilla
7 1/2 c. Rice or Corn Chex cereal
2 c. peanuts (no skins)

Bring to a boil, sugar and corn syrup. Add peanut butter and vanilla and stir. Pour hot mixture over Chex and peanuts and mix until all are coated - mix quickly, the peanut butter mixture cools fast.

Pour into a 9 x 13 greased pan and pat into corners. Cool, cut and enjoy.

Earlier this week, there was big bag of cookies in my mailbox at Borders, courtesy of one of my cafe customers, this particular type of Chex cookie was included, so I surfed the net to find the closest recipe. . .

Oh, I added 8 oz of shaved bittersweet chocolate to the Chex and peanuts before I stirred in the boiling peanut butter mixture.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #49 on: November 30, 2008, 08:53:50 AM »

Just noticed it's raining out - and we can just knock that off right now - don't need rain until I am in the air and heading back to LA - then the weather can do whatever it likes.  So, stop the rain.

td

• td
« Reply #50 on: November 30, 2008, 08:54:45 AM »

It's raining and sorta miserable here, too, BK.

Jennifer

« Reply #51 on: November 30, 2008, 09:21:11 AM »

I also very much enjoyed BK's recap of SOUTH PACIFIC!

Jennifer

« Reply #52 on: November 30, 2008, 09:22:34 AM »

Is any other THE AMAZING RACE fan here freaking out about the passport issue they showed on the preview for tonight's show. I have a very bad feeling it will happen to one of our favorites.

And i'm guessing that this issue is going to force that team out because one team definitely does not cross the finish line tonight (well if the info in my tv is to be believed). :(

Cillaliz

« Reply #53 on: November 30, 2008, 09:24:38 AM »

This is the recipe I used:
1 1/4 c. sugar
1 1/4 c. white corn syrup
1 1/4 c. peanut butter
1 tsp. vanilla
7 1/2 c. Rice or Corn Chex cereal
2 c. peanuts (no skins)

Bring to a boil, sugar and corn syrup. Add peanut butter and vanilla and stir. Pour hot mixture over Chex and peanuts and mix until all are coated - mix quickly, the peanut butter mixture cools fast.

Pour into a 9 x 13 greased pan and pat into corners. Cool, cut and enjoy.

Earlier this week, there was big bag of cookies in my mailbox at Borders, courtesy of one of my cafe customers, this particular type of Chex cookie was included, so I surfed the net to find the closest recipe. . .

Oh, I added 8 oz of shaved bittersweet chocolate to the Chex and peanuts before I stirred in the boiling peanut butter mixture.

Thanks TD. Sounds good. 

Cillaliz

« Reply #54 on: November 30, 2008, 09:25:39 AM »

Is any other THE AMAZING RACE fan here freaking out about the passport issue they showed on the preview for tonight's show. I have a very bad feeling it will happen to one of our favorites.

And i'm guessing that this issue is going to force that team out because one team definitely does not cross the finish line tonight (well if the info in my tv is to be believed). :(

Haven't seen the promos, I'm anxious to see what happens, but I am always suspicious of the way they edit the promos..

Jennifer

« Reply #55 on: November 30, 2008, 09:47:09 AM »

re: tonight's TAR

Haven't seen the promos, I'm anxious to see what happens, but I am always suspicious of the way they edit the promos..

Yeah i am too. On the promo they show every team saying "i'm in trouble" to make it seem like it could be any team. I also thought that perhaps the passport situation (they said one team loses their passports and money) was just a momentary lapse.

HOWEVER that said, when i looked in my tv it says that on tonight's TAR one team has trouble on the subway (and the promo clearly shows ken and tina on the subway) AND one team cannot cross the finish line (i'm just putting 2 and 2 together that it would be because of them losing their passport).

Anyhow on the promo they show the frat boys doing their speed bump (which means they've made it far enough to do that).

So i'm just going on my gut saying it is most likely one of the 2 favorites who have the passport issues. :(

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #56 on: November 30, 2008, 09:51:25 AM »

My copyist just sent me by pdf files the orchestra parts of the STUDENT PRINCE medley, which gets premiered next Sunday in Florida, and the page turbns are dreadful! Clarients are required in the middle of a phrase to stop playing and turn a page, the string section loses half their players during a noisy section while one player per stand has to trn a page.  Oy!

Why didn't he send me these two weeks ago so I could have stopped this madness? I just sent him a curt emai;l sdaying that sometimes having a fifth page instead of 4 is a vast improvement when it comes to sending out an orchestra part. I honestly thought he knew better.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #57 on: November 30, 2008, 09:53:31 AM »

Is it Jim Stenborg? :)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #58 on: November 30, 2008, 09:54:00 AM »

Shortly I shall hopefully be able to get a cab to take me to the Public Theater. 

FJL

« Reply #59 on: November 30, 2008, 09:57:55 AM »

BK - Don't assume your cab driver will know the Public Theater, though.  Have the address handy (425 Lafayette Street)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Up