Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: I'M GONNA WASH THE NOTES RIGHT OUT OF MY HAIR AND SEND THEM ON THEIR WAY  (Read 22500 times)

Danise

Re: I'M GONNA WASH THE NOTES RIGHT OUT OF MY HAIR AND SEND THEM ON THEIR WAY
« Reply #90 on: November 30, 2008, 12:15:15 PM »

I guess I was wrong.  Sorry to say, it must have been an accident or something.  Usually when you hear sirens around this time of year, the local fire station has Santa on a fire truck throwing candy to the kids.  I think that is very sweet of them to do.  I always make sure I run out and wave Hi to him. 

So many people don't even bother--or don't even know.

Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Danise

« Reply #91 on: November 30, 2008, 12:20:30 PM »

Hi all!

Is it possible that my 4 day weekend is almost over and I still didn't get everything done that I planned on doing?  Don't ya just HATE that?

Just remember: Weekends were meant for doing nothing.  Especially holiday weekends.  :)

I wish!  :)

I made some wonderful Turkey/Veggie soup.  Nothing to it.  Just put in the left over turkey I pulled off the bird, one package of frozen mixed veggies (corn, peas, sting beans, etc  No potatoes because they get mushy--No okra because that gets slimy), one can of mushrooms, one can of diced tomatoes, two sliced parsnips, two chopped onions, my left over celery from the stuffing, water and vola! Turkey soup! 

I didn't add any seasoning because the turkey already had it on it.  All I'm going to add is some noodles before I serve it and I'll have Turkey/veggie/noodle soup for dinner!  It smells wonderful, even if I do say so myself.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2008, 12:30:02 PM by Danise »
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Danise

« Reply #92 on: November 30, 2008, 12:22:12 PM »

(((((((((JRand)))))))))

((((((((VixMom))))))))
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #93 on: November 30, 2008, 12:24:01 PM »

PAGE FOUR CHRISTMAS "ON THE AVENUES" IN RICHMOND DANCE!!!!

Make Your Own Luck.

Danise

« Reply #94 on: November 30, 2008, 12:31:59 PM »

Well, I guess I'd better get back to the salt mines. 

Laters all!

Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #95 on: November 30, 2008, 01:11:36 PM »

It has rained on and off all day here, and it's nasty cold outside, too. A miserable day overall.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #96 on: November 30, 2008, 01:12:36 PM »

I watched last week's DEXTER while I ate lunch. Intriguing episode and now a cat-and-mouse scenario for the reaining episodes of the season.

Matt H.

« Reply #97 on: November 30, 2008, 01:15:03 PM »

Then I watched THE MAN WHO FELL TO EARTH. This is the full length version which is WAY too long for the story they're telling. Always an offbeat, quirky sort of movie, and ultimately, I find it very sad, an innocent alien falling from grace, undone by our hedonistic, materialistic  society. A very 70s message to be sure.

Matt H.

« Reply #98 on: November 30, 2008, 01:16:47 PM »

Criterion has ported over the commentary from the laserdisc that has Roeg and Bowie together and comments by Buck Henry added to the mix. It's an informative, somewhat chatty (Henry more than Roeg and Bowie) conversation.

I'll do the remaining bonus features tonight. There don't appear to be hours of them, so I should be in OK shape to watch DEXTER at 9.

singdaw

« Reply #99 on: November 30, 2008, 01:17:16 PM »

Good day, DRs.  I, too, enjoyed bk's theatre reportage.  Hoping for the same thing with Road Show.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #100 on: November 30, 2008, 01:19:27 PM »

...sting beans...

Careful, don't get hurt.

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Matt H.

« Reply #101 on: November 30, 2008, 01:44:36 PM »

I've just finished my quick internet surf and must now hop off-line to do some writing. Then back downstairs for more viewing.

WBBL.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #102 on: November 30, 2008, 02:01:14 PM »

This may be almost-old news for some DRs...

‘Doctor Who’ Producer Receives Royal Honor

Make Your Own Luck.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #103 on: November 30, 2008, 02:38:15 PM »

...Clarients are required in the middle of a phrase to stop playing and turn a page

WANTED: Immodest clarinet players with trainable stunt c**cks!

der Brucer

I gotta hand it to you; when I think you can go no lower . . .
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #104 on: November 30, 2008, 02:41:02 PM »

I just sent the copyist a list of where to put the turns in the parts that need adjusting. He's a good fellow, but his attitude today that he's taking the weekend off to be with his family doesn't register well with me: do you want the work and do you want my recommendation or not?

Listen to "Finishing the Hat" and get back to work.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #105 on: November 30, 2008, 03:01:06 PM »

First off, re machine - it's not brain surgery - the machine I normally use has to be right because I base it all on what speed I'm doing and how long it's taking me vis a vis what it takes in LA.  On today's machine, I was going more than double the speed I run in LA - it was absolutely crazy.  I don't get winded and I did today.  It was, in fact, a joke.  And if you run eight miles, I'm sorry, you burn 1000 calories.  Anyway, it doesn't matter - I don't run tomorrow and on Tuesday I will only use the machine I'm used to.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #106 on: November 30, 2008, 03:05:18 PM »

I didn't hate Road Show but I sure didn't love it.  I really don't like John Doyle or his concepts (he's an avowed Brecht and Grotowski disciple), and I think they hurt the show, which is, by the way, brown.  Michael Cerveris was really great, but the show is so dark and relentless I can't imagine that any of the original concept (a Hope and Crosby road picture) is left, although with a different director there might be more laughs.  The score is very derivative of every other Sondheim show, sometimes shockingly so (something very close to an Assassins tune, the water number from Anyone Can Whistle, even a Who's That Woman knockoff - almost like a parody of Sondheim at times).  There are some nice tunes and a LOT of lyrics.  Wasn't thrilled with Alexander Gemignani, but did like Bill Parry very much, as well as Alma Cuervo.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #107 on: November 30, 2008, 03:07:31 PM »

After, we ate at a little place Bill took us to - I had a bacon cheeseburger and a really tiny side salad with vinaigrette.  Took us a few minutes to find a cab, what with his ridiculous rain (supposed to go away tomorrow, according to Bill), and the wind was awful.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #108 on: November 30, 2008, 03:07:54 PM »

I have to leave in about twenty-five minutes for rehearsal and pray I can find a cab.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #109 on: November 30, 2008, 03:10:06 PM »

While I was away the squirrels ate a hole in the top of the bird house...

Maybe they're desparate for food!

WASHINGTON POST

Acorn Watchers Wonder What Happened to Crop

The idea seemed too crazy to Rod Simmons, a measured, careful field botanist. Naturalists in Arlington County couldn't find any acorns. None. No hickory nuts, either. Then he went out to look for himself. He came up with nothing. Nothing crunched underfoot. Nothing hit him on the head.

Then calls started coming in about crazy squirrels. Starving, skinny squirrels eating garbage, inhaling bird feed, greedily demolishing pumpkins. Squirrels boldly scampering into the road. And a lot more calls about squirrel roadkill.

But Simmons really got spooked when he was teaching a class on identifying oak and hickory trees late last month. For 2 1/2 miles, Simmons and other naturalists hiked through Northern Virginia oak and hickory forests. They sifted through leaves on the ground, dug in the dirt and peered into the tree canopies. Nothing.

"I'm used to seeing so many acorns around and out in the field, it's something I just didn't believe," he said. "But this is not just not a good year for oaks. It's a zero year. There's zero production. I've never seen anything like this before."

"Once I started paying attention, I couldn't find any acorns anywhere. Not from white oaks, red oaks or black oaks, and this was supposed to be their big year," said Greg Zell, a naturalist at Long Branch Nature Center in Arlington. "We're talking zero. Not a single acorn. It's really bizarre."

Zell began to do some research. He found Internet discussion groups, including one on Topix called "No acorns this year," reporting the same thing from as far away as the Midwest up through New England and Nova Scotia. "We live in Glenwood Landing, N.Y., and don't have any acorns this year. Really weird," wrote one. "None in Kansas either! Curiouser and curiouser."

Rachel Tolman, a naturalist at Long Branch, smeared a big glop of peanut butter on one of the nature center's trees. She grabbed handfuls of store-bought hazelnuts and placed them atop boxes to attract the tiny, nocturnal flying squirrels that tend to mass in the oaks every winter. Within seconds, the squirrels dive-bombed in from nearby trees, legs outstretched like fist-size silvery-gray sky divers. "They're so much more willing to be seen this year," Tolman said. "It's because they're so hungry."

Tolman was the first naturalist to notice that there were no acorns or hickory nuts this year. Each fall, starting in September, she takes daily walks through the forest to collect nuts and acorns to feed the flying squirrels and other animals at the center through the winter. This year, she found nothing. "I'm hoping this is just some weird anomaly," she said.
Hazelnuts gone and peanut butter licked clean, the still-hungry flying squirrels scampered high into the tree canopy and chirped angrily for more.

Iowa had an acorn shortage in 1999- maybe it's back

der Brucer

« Last Edit: November 30, 2008, 03:17:04 PM by DERBRUCER »

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #110 on: November 30, 2008, 03:12:17 PM »

First off, re machine - it's not brain surgery - the machine I normally use has to be right because I base it all on what speed I'm doing and how long it's taking me vis a vis what it takes in LA.  On today's machine, I was going more than double the speed I run in LA - it was absolutely crazy.  I don't get winded and I did today.  It was, in fact, a joke.  And if you run eight miles, I'm sorry, you burn 1000 calories.  Anyway, it doesn't matter - I don't run tomorrow and on Tuesday I will only use the machine I'm used to.

...And you could have gotten winded simply because your body is tired.

*And the belt/motor on the treadmill could also be due for servicing.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #111 on: November 30, 2008, 03:18:23 PM »

...Clarients are required in the middle of a phrase to stop playing and turn a page

WANTED: Immodest clarinet players with trainable stunt c**cks!

der Brucer

I gotta hand it to you; when I think you can go no lower . . .

That well is deep.  Very deep.
Make Your Own Luck.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #112 on: November 30, 2008, 03:20:05 PM »

[I gotta hand it to you; when I think you can go no lower . . .

Please - you know my depravity knows no bounds :D

der Brucer

singdaw

« Reply #113 on: November 30, 2008, 03:27:12 PM »

He's depraved on account-a he's deprived!    :D

DERBRUCER

« Reply #114 on: November 30, 2008, 03:33:16 PM »

He's depraved on account-a he's deprived!    :D

Must be the acorn shortage!

der Brucer

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #115 on: November 30, 2008, 03:36:01 PM »

WASHINGTON POST

Acorn Watchers Wonder What Happened to Crop

The idea seemed too crazy to Rod Simmons, a measured, careful field botanist. Naturalists in Arlington County couldn't find any acorns. None. No hickory nuts, either. Then he went out to look for himself. He came up with nothing. Nothing crunched underfoot. Nothing hit him on the head.

Then calls started coming in about crazy squirrels. Starving, skinny squirrels eating garbage, inhaling bird feed, greedily demolishing pumpkins. Squirrels boldly scampering into the road. And a lot more calls about squirrel roadkill.

But Simmons really got spooked when he was teaching a class on identifying oak and hickory trees late last month. For 2 1/2 miles, Simmons and other naturalists hiked through Northern Virginia oak and hickory forests. They sifted through leaves on the ground, dug in the dirt and peered into the tree canopies. Nothing.

der Brucer

It is getting harder and harder to find enough nuts to get you thru the winter!
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Ben

« Reply #116 on: November 30, 2008, 03:40:05 PM »

Greetings folks. We are back in Manhattan after a loverly Thanksgiving on Long Island. I pushed out vibes galore as we trained through Deer Park.

I will be busy tomorrow with volunteering. It's supposed to rain off and on all day though the temperature may get into the 50s. I just finished updating some things on the computer and we seem to be up and running OK.

We are going to elfyourself.com some time this week to play around with JibJab movies. Since we now have high speed it should be fun.

Oy, it's already December 1st tomorrow. Where did the time fly and I only hope my vacation will not speed by as quickly as the rest of the year.

Ben

« Reply #117 on: November 30, 2008, 03:40:52 PM »

That's it for now. Dinner, a shower, maybe some television and bedtime for me.

Later, gaters.

Cillaliz

« Reply #118 on: November 30, 2008, 03:48:37 PM »

der Brucer

Or maybe they are just spoiled because I give them corn and they empty the birdfeeder every day!   I have 4 or 5 squirrels who are normally out here. I threw them some corn and filled the feeder that's here today.   I was gone long enough that their food supply was just cut off.  There are a number of neighbors who put food out as well, so I'm sure they found some.  It's very cold and misty out right now..I may put some more corn out tonight.   

It's almost time to just buy it in bulk .  It looks from the tracks last time it snowed that the deer have been looking for food too. They don't like it on the cob and will be here if I just put it in the yard. 

Cillaliz

« Reply #119 on: November 30, 2008, 03:51:20 PM »

Hey! With my new saws, I can build a deer feeder.  My dad built one that looks like a manger. Hmmm that's a thought
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Up