Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: THE MADCAP HERRING  (Read 22474 times)

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
Re:THE MADCAP HERRING
« Reply #120 on: March 05, 2004, 07:17:59 PM »

Another thought:

As if (I love sentences that begin with "As if."  Don't you?)  Hmm, that parenthetic apostrophe seems to have broken the flow.  I'll start over:

As if K-Mart didn't already have a big enough barrel full of problems, now they've got stores plastered with the image of a convicted criminal.
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Jay

« Reply #121 on: March 05, 2004, 07:19:30 PM »

Sounds to me like Lizha's denturhz are coming loosch again.

Or scheesch schanneling Sean Connery.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2004, 07:21:09 PM by Jay »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #122 on: March 05, 2004, 07:19:49 PM »

Yes, it's Thomas Dolby Kathleen is married to - three children.  Her ex was the actor Michael Hoit.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #123 on: March 05, 2004, 07:21:12 PM »

.  She once asked me why I didn't like cats (the animal, not the musical) and I did my standard "cats suck baby's breath" remark.  I cannot print her response but it was rather shocking and hilarious at the same time.

You deserved whatever she said.  I wish I had been there. ;D

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #124 on: March 05, 2004, 07:36:35 PM »

It wasn't directed at me - it was just an off-the-cuff remark that was hilarious in its raunchiness.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #125 on: March 05, 2004, 07:41:00 PM »

Gay Bingo was a load of fun. $8000+ raised for a good cause, and lots of campy laughs, skits, and general R-rated naughty (but not nasty) fun. I didn't get close to a bingo, but met some nice people. Looking forward to the next one in April.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Jed

« Reply #126 on: March 05, 2004, 07:44:40 PM »

Hello all.  Very tired.  Long day.  Long week.  Not that the day and/or week were bad, just long.

Anyway, media check...
DVD - threw in one of the The West Wing Season One discs again the other day
VCR - empty
CDs - Paul Simon "Graceland"; She Loves Me OBC; Blood, Sweat, & Tears: Greatest Hits; Mandy Patinkin "Experiment"

Good vibes to one and all, all and one!
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #127 on: March 05, 2004, 07:45:05 PM »

We have had a fabulous dinner.

Well, a good dinner.

It was OK.

Roast pork, which ended up a wee bit dry.  Baked potatoes and broccoli florets.

Trying to plan ahead for dinner later over the weekend, we picked up some Brussels sprouts, which leaves me to dig around and find out how to pair them with roasted chestnuts.  It's supposed to be a classic combo, but I've never had them served together and haven't the faintest idea as to how to cook them.

And there's bad news: our grocery store of choice doesn't have dried chiles of any kind.  They have chili powder, but that's not the same thing.  Hopefully I'll be able to find someplace nearby that has dried chiles, so I can make chili the way it should be made.

I like to soak the chiles and then puree and strain them before adding them to the seared meat, preferably chuck, cubed not ground.  Let's face it, how authentic is ground meat in chili?  Do you think the Cookies at their chuckwagons had time to waste grinding that meat?  Of course not!  They used real meat, cubed and simmered in a good broth until it was tender.  Ground beef wasn't brought into the picture until Depression-era housewives were trying to make their families good meals on a highly restricted budget, and ground meat was cheaper than chuck or most other cuts.

It was the Depression-era housewife that introduced beans as part of the dish, rather than something served with the chili.  Again, it was a sensible thing for them to do, a way of extending the meal in a healthy way while holding down the budget.  Adding pasta was another tactic (hello, chili-mac!), and so was adding canned tomatoes.

Me, I think Depression-era chili deserves a hero's congratulations, but I like my chili the old Texan way.  Like I say, I like to start with a good slab of chuck, and dice it into 1-inch cubes, or maybe a little smaller.  Frankly, I like to mix chuck and pork together, starting with some slab bacon or salt pork, diced and rendered down in the Dutch oven.  Toss the chuck and pork butt in some seasoned flour, and sear the meat in the rendered fat.  (Dieters can skip the rendering part.)  Add in the pureed chiles, some extra hot chili powder (if possible, from a single type of chile; it's less likely to have been cut with other spices), some cumin and oregano, diced yellow onions, some bell peppers that I've diced up, some minced garlic and minced jalapenos, some unsweetened powdered cocoa, add in some beef stock and beer (the darker the better), and just let it all simmer away over low heat for a few hours.  

Yes, you heard that right.  Cocoa.  It tames the chiles, and adds a really interesting background note.  Very yum.

When it's all tender and smells exactly right, it's almost dinner time.  At this point I like to add maybe a tablespoon of corn meal, which thickens up the broth and adds another interesting flavor.  The beans (red kidney or black beans) can be served on the side, and toppings like cheddar, sour cream, green onions, oyster crackers...

Am I making everyone hungry yet?

And, for all you Atkins people, follow this general recipe and simply don't add the questionable stuff that would be upping the carbs or overdoing the fats, you've got yourself and your fellow Atkinsers something to feast upon!  Yeah, this is more about method than actual proportions; you're all smart, you can figure out what to do.

There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #128 on: March 05, 2004, 07:51:17 PM »

Well, folks, maybe I have a different take on Martha than others.  I never liked the lady.  I never liked her show.  I thought she had the personality of a conger eel.  But when the story hit, and the media started to hound her and trumpet her wheeling and dealing like she had stolen millions--while the thieves at Enron seem to be finding all possible ways to slip through the cracks of the justice system--then I started rooting for Martha.  Oh yes, I wanted Martha to get off, because she seems to have been thrown to the lions for the crowd's entertainment.  I haven't followed the story closely, so I can't give you an opinion on her guilt or innocence, but it just seems like too many in the country had a vendetta against her from the get-go.
"Champagne to my real friends, and real pain to my sham friends!"
--Wayland Flowers

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #129 on: March 05, 2004, 07:55:05 PM »

And thank you again for all the good vibes for Rachel.
She's very upset tonight. A friend of mine in Boulder told me that a 21-year old friend of her daughter's had hanged himself....She asked me how things can change so much in a year. How do you answer a question like that?
Ouch.  There are no easy answers, Anna.  

I've come across research before this that indicated that some people, particularly men, go through a change in their brain chemistry during those years, which can cause a catastrophic depression so sudden that the person involved doesn't understand what is happening, or that help can be found.  No, I don't have a handle on where I found that research, but it is out there.  

Tell Rachel that I wish I was there for her, to give her a hug and listen to her, to help her through this.  It really does take a live person, at times like this.  I send her vibes, and hope she can find someone trained as a counselor.  She need not be alone while she works through this tragedy.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #130 on: March 05, 2004, 07:57:46 PM »

Gay Bingo was a load of fun....
Ah, yes!  I think I mentioned der Brucer and I attending the Valentine's Day Bingo Party here in Rehoboth Beach.  They really are great fundraisers, good ways to meet new people, and so retro that they're progressive!  Glad you had a good time!

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #131 on: March 05, 2004, 07:58:15 PM »

Sorry, Jane, but I tend to agree with bk about cats. I don't trust them. There's a cat who lives in the yard/pool area of the guest house in which I live. It has no home other than this yard. I feed it every day - because even cats have to eat, right? Well, each time I put her dish down she takes a swipe at me -- claws out. I now pull down my sleeves as I feed the beast.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #132 on: March 05, 2004, 08:02:42 PM »

Der Brucer has just brought me a very thin slice of cheesecake.  Marty is sitting on my bed, watching me and drooling.  How am I supposed to explain to him that doggies aren't supposed to like cheesecake?

(Of course, this is the same fellow that decided to clean der Brucer's plate a couple of nights ago when there was a puddle of A-1 sauce that needed to be cleaned up.  Slurpslurpslurpslurpslu...YIPE!  You'd have thought he'd singed his eyebrows!)
« Last Edit: March 05, 2004, 08:07:12 PM by S. Woody White »

Panni

« Reply #133 on: March 05, 2004, 08:04:49 PM »

SWW - Thank you for your wise and very loving words. I'll pass them on to Rachel.

Tomovoz

« Reply #134 on: March 05, 2004, 08:05:19 PM »

DR JED: a music mix for my tastes indeed.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2004, 08:05:44 PM by Tomovoz »
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

MBarnum

« Reply #135 on: March 05, 2004, 08:07:25 PM »

Now, now, Panni and Bk, if you come across the right cat you would soon become a great lover of them! My Freddy (and my previous cat Buford) were both very loveable and even the cat dislikers that I know succumbed to their charms!

Currently my niece and her fiance are living at my sister and brother-in-laws home for a short time while they get situated in Salem. My nieces two cats are living there as well. My sister and brother-in-law have never liked cats at all...but both have totally fallen in love with these two kitties! It was a total shock to me!

But there are those cats who are not terribly friendly, and they are what most people think of when they think of cats, unfortunately!

MBarnum

« Reply #136 on: March 05, 2004, 08:08:25 PM »

And DR Panni, I am so sorry to hear of your daughters school pal. That is so sad. I guess sometimes you can never know what is going through a persons mind or what they may be dealing with.

Panni

« Reply #137 on: March 05, 2004, 08:23:04 PM »

WFO - I agree with you about Martha. I can think of quite a few people, starting with the Vice-President (of the U.S.), who deserve jail time for  less than honest business dealings more than she does.

Panni

« Reply #138 on: March 05, 2004, 08:24:34 PM »

My previous sentence is too convoluted to actually make sense. But I'm tired and I'm sure you all know what I mean.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #139 on: March 05, 2004, 08:41:32 PM »

Denizens come out of your dens.  I'm trying to slog my way through American Splendor but I'm not loving it, I must say.  

Jane

« Reply #140 on: March 05, 2004, 08:49:32 PM »

Sorry, Jane, but I tend to agree with bk about cats. I don't trust them. There's a cat who lives in the yard/pool area of the guest house in which I live. It has no home other than this yard. I feed it every day - because even cats have to eat, right? Well, each time I put her dish down she takes a swipe at me -- claws out. I now pull down my sleeves as I feed the beast.

One day with my cuddly Bogie and you would feel differently. It's nice you feed the ungrateful cat.  I have met very few cats I couldn't tame but they do exist.  We had a rather fiesty cat that was the first to reach crying babies to check on them, and if I got mad at the children when they were young she sat in front of them.  She even sat in front of the 80 pound dog when I got mad at the dog. :D

Jane

« Reply #141 on: March 05, 2004, 08:50:14 PM »

p.s I have never been attacked by a cat, unlike numerous dogs I had close encounters with.

Jay

« Reply #142 on: March 05, 2004, 09:06:16 PM »

American Splendor was the toast of the indie-lovers crowd last year.  I walked in wanting to like this film based on what I had heard, but found it a struggle.  Certainly, the cross cutting and interaction between the real people being depicted and the actors depicting them was fun, and the merging of the graphics and comic book typeface with the movie proper was clever, too.  But the characters were soooo unappealing, I never engaged with the film.  I suppose I can see why its screenplay got nominated for so many awards.  Hope Davis was up for best actress, believe it or not, at the Golden Globes.  Well, maybe her fright wig and outsized eyeglasses were.

Panni

« Reply #143 on: March 05, 2004, 09:16:53 PM »

I rather enjoyed AMERICAN SPLENDOR. Could be that it caught me just at the right moment. I think I was in the middle of doing a very linear script when I went to see it. It was such a pleasure to get away from
"A leads to B leads to C and now let's explain it all"... That I found the film a refreshing relief. It's possible that if I saw it today I wouldn't like it, but it's possible I would. I do know that I do NOT want to see it again, so I guess we'll never find out.

My poor doggie has been inexplicably sick tonight, Right now he's sleeping on my bed. Whenever I go near him he cuddles right into me, looking at me with that "Help me feel better" look. Breaks my heart. I think I'll get into bed and cuddle up with him for a while. If I don't come back, good-night. If I do, see you later!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #144 on: March 05, 2004, 09:17:55 PM »

Good Evening!

Whew!  Another 250 auditionees today! -And most of them sang too!  Another good day of people, and the companies seem to be finding people to cast.

DR Noel - I do remember playing "When in Rome" - but I don't remember specifics... which means it went well.  I only seem to remember the bad ones and the train wrecks. ;)

OH!  After I had posted this morning, I was chatting with a friend in NYC, and it seems that he may spending this summer out of the city... And since I had been toying with finally making the move up... And since I've been having roomie issues... And since my lease is up in April anyway.... We'll talk when I'm up there next week, and we'll see what happens... But, I'm very excited about having an apartment in Chelsea - even if just for a few months - and basically for the cost of utilities! :)  Again, we'll see what happens.

Well, one more batch of 250 people tomorrow, so...

Goodnight.
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #145 on: March 05, 2004, 10:18:56 PM »

Denizens, wherefore art thou?

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #146 on: March 05, 2004, 10:55:54 PM »

This denizen is falling asleep.  I'm watching Bonnie dreaming away, twiching her paws and almost barking.  She's got the right idea.  Only I sound funny when I bark.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #147 on: March 05, 2004, 11:10:36 PM »

We haz been deserted by the denizens.

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #148 on: March 05, 2004, 11:58:50 PM »

This denizen is here!  Tired, and still in stage makeup, but here!  Tonight's show was simply wonderful.  The house was sold out, the audience was warm and receptive to all jokes big and small, and everyone in the cast did a superb job.  Now I'm tired and ready for some sleep
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up