Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: THOUGHT PROVOKING  (Read 23720 times)

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
Re:THOUGHT PROVOKING
« Reply #60 on: March 08, 2004, 12:21:28 PM »

Jrand, what play is it that you are doing?

Charles Pogue

« Reply #61 on: March 08, 2004, 12:26:28 PM »

Well, I have read the Martin parody on studio notes for  THE PASSION.  It's very funny.  And very scary!  Because it's closer to the truth than you know.  I think I've had these executives.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #62 on: March 08, 2004, 12:28:19 PM »

I think I've had these executives.

That's "almost" a "Woman of the Year" reference.

(just trying to lighten things up).

R
« Last Edit: March 08, 2004, 12:28:43 PM by RLP »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ben

« Reply #63 on: March 08, 2004, 12:32:05 PM »

According to AP and Yahoo:

Hollywood Screen Beauty Frances Dee Dies

Charles Pogue

« Reply #64 on: March 08, 2004, 12:35:54 PM »

I saw Frances Dee at a Preston Sturges retrospective a few years back.  She was still stunningly beautiful at 80-something.

Ben

« Reply #65 on: March 08, 2004, 12:40:55 PM »

The article I saw had very little info other than to say she died in Connecticut and her son confirmed her death.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #66 on: March 08, 2004, 12:41:35 PM »

I realize that today is not Ask Anyone Day, however, if anyone can answer a question for me, I would be much obliged:

At Amazon.com, on the listing for the film CAMELOT, under the cast of characters it lists, of course, Franco Nero as Lancelot du Loc, but it also lists Gene Merlino as Lancelot du Loc.  Is that the singing voice for Mr. Nero?  Now if he was the body double of Franco Nero, I might be interested in finding out more about this Mr. Merlino, but if it is just his voice, then to heck with him..
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #67 on: March 08, 2004, 12:46:51 PM »

Good afternoon!

-And did anyone catch Frank Rich's op-ed(?) piece on The Passion of Christ - well, more aptly, on Mel Gibson, in yesterday's New York Times.  Quite the read.

DR DERBRUCER - That list of keywords for Like Water... is interesting.  I'm surprised "full frontal male nudity" was not listed - although, it's a very brief moment in the film - but, hey, it's Marco Leonardi from Cinema Paradiso fame.  :)

Well, I got my errrands done - bank, Barnes & Noble (Kevin Burrows and Chris Sieber on the cover of this week's "Advocate"  :D), and Target.  Now I can nap... I hope...
Make Your Own Luck.

Jennifer

« Reply #68 on: March 08, 2004, 12:47:28 PM »

Welcome to our newest God DR Charles Pogue.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #69 on: March 08, 2004, 12:53:39 PM »

Yes, TCB -- Mr. Merlino was ONLY the singing voice for Lancelot.

Vocal Director Ken Darby was thrilled to have found the voice they needed to match Nero's speaking voice...and felt it was particularly ominous that the man's name was "Merlino".

The body was strictly Franco Nero's...including the camera-rape shot during the opening of "C'est Moi"!
« Last Edit: March 08, 2004, 12:58:54 PM by RLP »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #70 on: March 08, 2004, 01:15:47 PM »

The body was strictly Franco Nero's...including the camera-rape shot during the opening of "C'est Moi"!

Hmmm, I guess I will have to revisit that part of the film, because I don't remember that.  However, the scene where Guinevere comes to Lancelot's bed during the IF EVER I WOULD LEAVE YOU montage, is probably my favorite scene in the movie.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #71 on: March 08, 2004, 01:17:09 PM »

And I found the singing voice of Mr. Merlino only mediocre. I guess no one could compare to the hypermasculine sound that Robert Goulet projected when he did Lancelot.

If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #72 on: March 08, 2004, 01:19:04 PM »

Imagine my surprise when a friend picked me up for lunch today, and as we were driving away, I noticed that a huge oak tree had toppled last night in the big wind storm and smashed in the entire side of the apartment complex behind me. No wonder I lost power for awhile.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #73 on: March 08, 2004, 01:27:01 PM »

Well, that's Josh Logan for you!  He probably was frustrated by the limited number of ways to expose more of Lancelot
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Ben

« Reply #74 on: March 08, 2004, 01:54:42 PM »

Sad news regarding Spalding Gray

http://www.playbill.com/news/article/84806.html

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #75 on: March 08, 2004, 01:56:29 PM »

And I found the singing voice of Mr. Merlino only mediocre. I guess no one could compare to the hypermasculine sound that Robert Goulet projected when he did Lancelot.

Mediocre?  

Yes, Goulet has/had a hypermasculine sound...but...blech!  I'd rather Lancelot be a lot more passionate than was in Goulet's vocal range.  He always sounds "in love with his own voice" to me.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #76 on: March 08, 2004, 01:59:50 PM »

Geez, Ben....you're spreading all kinds of cheeriness today!

Matt H.

« Reply #77 on: March 08, 2004, 02:03:06 PM »

Mediocre?  

Yes, Goulet has/had a hypermasculine sound...but...blech!  I'd rather Lancelot be a lot more passionate than was in Goulet's vocal range.  He always sounds "in love with his own voice" to me.

Sorry, but I couldn't disagree more strongly. I found the Lancelot vocals blander than white bread in the film of CAMELOT. GOulet's vocals on the OCR are to me definitive.

I never saw Goulet in CAMELOT (as Lancelot or more recently as Arthur), but I saw him in THE HAPPY TIME in NYC and in a tour of SOUTH PACIFIC, and I'm telling you that he had what all the great stage matinee idols had: gorgeous looks, a huge voice, and a mesmerizing charisma on the stage that was literally overpowering. Both times I saw him, when he was revealed to the audience, there were gasps all over the theater. He did honestly take your breath away.

Michael

« Reply #78 on: March 08, 2004, 02:11:12 PM »

Sad news regarding Spalding Gray

http://www.playbill.com/news/article/84806.html

How sad. Too bad his depression got the worse of him. I understand when you hit bottom, but he must have gone beyond to have  killed himself. I feel for his family who will have to live with the aftermath.
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #79 on: March 08, 2004, 02:12:15 PM »

Fantasy Films:

7 Faces of Dr, Lao
Wizard of Oz
Lord of the Rings Trilogy
Many of the Ray Harryhausen films
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #80 on: March 08, 2004, 02:13:33 PM »

I have been listening to the Charles Pogue interviews. So far I am in the middle of the first part. Fascinating. He speaks very well and has a lot to say
Never stop dreaming.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #81 on: March 08, 2004, 02:28:31 PM »

WELCOME TO THE CLOUDS, FS POGUE. NO REWRITES HERE!

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #82 on: March 08, 2004, 02:30:50 PM »

Very sad about Spalding Gray. But, reading the article, it sounds like he really, truly wanted to end it. So for him it was perhaps the best thing. Who knows? My heart goes out to his young family.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #83 on: March 08, 2004, 02:52:22 PM »

Re: Robert Goulet -- Nope!  He doesn't do a thing for me.  

:D

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #84 on: March 08, 2004, 03:01:28 PM »

We saw the orthopedic surgeon today and the good news is, Gabe's bones seem to be perfectly aligned.  The bad news is, the doc wants us to leave him in the plaster cast for another week (at least) before transferring him to the fiberglass cast, which he will need to wear for another several weeks.  Since they have the plaster cast wrapped in an ace bandage, none of us (or his little school buddies) will be able to sign it.

And, though I may be accused of channeling Steve Martin in "The Jerk," may I just say THE NEW PERCY FAITHS ARE HERE, THE NEW PERCY FAITHS ARE HERE, including several LPs I've been waiting YEARS for--Held Over!, his last album of movie songs, and Music for Her, one of his most sublime outings from the 50s.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #85 on: March 08, 2004, 03:15:11 PM »

I've always liked Mr. Goulet.  I, too, saw him in The Happy Time and he was terrific - charming, funny, and sang beautifully.  He was a horrid King Arthur, though, and now he seems to just be a caricature of himself.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #86 on: March 08, 2004, 03:29:48 PM »

Actually, it's the "now" Goulet I'm reacting to.

I like to trade japes with DR Mr. MatHough every once in a while.

I liked Mr. Merlino's voice in "Camelot" (the movie) very much.  It was a good match for Franco Nero.  Goulet's voice would not have been a good match for Franco Nero.

Had a Goulet "type" been cast as Lancelot, Mr. Gene Merlino's voice would not have been a good match.

Since we do have Mr. Nero's filmed Lancelot, the notion that the singing voice that perfectly matches his speaking voice is nothing more than "mediocre" strikes me as being harsh.

I actually do like Goulet's voice on the Broadway cast album, but I also do feel he sometimes seems "in love with his own voice."  I WAS initially shocked by the difference in voices when I saw the movie, but Nero's intensely masculine, but quite gentle Lancelot won me over completely.

Charles Pogue

« Reply #87 on: March 08, 2004, 03:50:08 PM »

I come down on the side of pro-Goulet.  I'll always love him, if for nothing else, for DAYDREAMER.  But I also like his voice on CAMELOT & THE HAPPY TIME...I particularly like Walking Among My Yesterdays.  It's always surprised me as to why he wasn't a bigger star, But in film he usually did come off rather stiff.  Didn't he have drinking problem at one time?

But he did have star quality.  I remember once seeing a photo of him, Burton, and Andrews from Camelot and I turned to my lovely wife and said, "Look at this picture and tell what is similarly striking about these three people.  It's one of the reasons why all three became stars."  She saw it immediately. They all had striking eyes. You were drawn to their eyes.

Charles Pogue

« Reply #88 on: March 08, 2004, 03:54:50 PM »

I never much care for the entire cast of the movie CAMELOT.  Harris doing his shout/whisper modulating style of acting.  Nero pretty but empty...and dubbed.  And I always go hot or cold on Redgrave.  I seem to either love her or hate her...there's rarely any in between (even on stage, where I've seen her three or four times)...and I've never found her particularly sexy.  Camelot was a cold one for me.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #89 on: March 08, 2004, 04:00:23 PM »

Yes, Mr. Goulet's drinking problems were many, and said problems were part of the cause of his divorce from Carol Lawrence.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up