Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 12   Go Down

Author Topic: FEBRUARY WITH AN R  (Read 29331 times)

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
Re: FEBRUARY WITH AN R
« Reply #60 on: February 01, 2009, 07:59:50 AM »

DR Elmore:

I must shame-facedly admit that I didn't realize Victor Herbert wrote my favorite Jeanette MacDonald aria "The Italian Street Song."

DR Matt H, I cannot believe that! Well, the good news is you've got a Victor Herbert composition to thnk about today!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Cillaliz

« Reply #61 on: February 01, 2009, 08:12:19 AM »

This is the front page story in the Des Moines Register this morning

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/article/20090201/NEWS/902010351/1001

Keeler: Warner's legacy beyond football is already written

Thought the Cardinal fans may find it interesting.  He was a quarterback at the University of Northern Iowa and played with the Iowa Barnstormers in the indoor football league, so Iowa claims him as one of our own

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #62 on: February 01, 2009, 08:14:37 AM »

As promise a recap of my London theatre orgy:

I timed the trip so we could catch AUGUST: OSAGE COUNTY with the original Steppenwolf cast at the National Theatre with my old theatre colleague, Tony-winning Deanna Dunagan in it.  She and it were magnificent.  It turned out we were staying in the same hotel as the cast, so we had a couple of chances to chat, usually going to or from the theatre.  And on our last night there, Deanna, The Lovely Wife, and I all went to see The Pitman Painters at the National.  In fact, of the eleven shows we saw, five were at the National. 

Both The War Horse, a exquisite epic that utuilized intricate puppetry as well as actors, and Tom Stoppard's rarely performed collaboration with Andre Previn, Every Good Boy Deserves Favour, a fully staged play with a full orchestra, were also grand and moving pieces of theatre.  Toby Jones starred in the latter. 

The only absolute dog we saw...which almost never happens at the National...was Mrs. Affleck -- a reworking and updating to the fifties of Ibsen's Little Eyolf.  I like Ibsen a lot and this play in particular.  This rewritten updating neither further illuminated Ibsen's original nor brought any particular insight to the fifties era it was set in.  I found it also badly staged with a cumbersome set.  The preview night I saw it, I watched the set-change which was supposed to be done during a fifteen
minute interval.  It took twenty-five and seemed more like a set strike than set change.

The Old Vic's production of a new play called COMPLICIT, directed by Kevin Spacey and starring Richard Dreyfuss, Maureen McGovern, and David Suchet, got raked over the coals by the critics.  I didn't think it was as bad as all that and liked the message of the play and, particularly, the second half.  Despite wearing a visible ear-piece where he was being fed as-yet-unlearned lines, Richard Dreyfuss was okay, very Dreyfuss, and moving and effective in the climax of the play.  McGovern was too young to play his wife and wasted in an underwritten part.  Acting honours went to Suchet.  Spacey had converted the Old Vic into a theatre in the round and it was an interesting, intimate space.  Despite the Old Vic's great history and consistently great work ; I've always found the space a bit unintimate and the sightlines troubling in its original configuration.

We saw two Joe Orton plays, LOOT, starring the terrific David Haig, and ENTERTAINING, MR. SLOANE, starring the equally terrific Imelda Staunton.  I'd never seen either onstage before and enjoyed both.  In SLOANE, Ms. Staunton came on at one point in the sheerest of nighties, displaying all her charms and fluffy bits.  Tres daring.

We saw a new play at the Donmar written by and starring Ian McDiarmid (The Emperor in all the Star Wars movies) called BE NEAR ME.  After a first act with two characters doing impenetrable Scottish slang accents of which only every third sentence was understood, the play really came on and centered around McDiarmid's charming, funny, sad performance.  Certainly worth the price of the ticket.

Two Shakespeares rounded out the bill.  Oddly enough, they are the two plays I have seen more than any other, could care less if I ever see again, and don't find the epitome of Shakespeare to begin with.  Both, however, were delightful.  The first was Twelfth Night with Derek Jacobi playing Malvolio, assisted ably by several other actors we've seen frequently over there -- Ron Cook, Guy Henry, and Victoria Hamilton, not household names here, but very respected over there.  While sturdily done and perfectly enjoyable, I suspect the reason it didn't kick me in the butt was my indifference to the play in general. The second Shakespeare was an RSC production of Midsummer Night's Dream, which was magically done.  They made the usually tedious lovers interesting and fun, the 'rude mechanicals' were quite amusing, and the array of faeries mischievous and real characters.

Alas, all that said, London...while still the greatest city in the world...gets to looking like an American Mall a bit more every time I go.  The block of Charing Cross road that used to be nothing but used bookstores has now replaced many of those bookshops with a Subway or a Quiznos or a coffee shop (sometimes a Starbucks, sometimes a British franchise).  I've never seen so many sandwich and coffee shops.  If you don't like a particular one, go two doors down and you'll find another.  Several of my Favourite bookstores have disappeared all over London (and another is about to go online), as have so many quirky little shops replaced by dull franchise stores or eatries, far too many of them American brands.  Thankfully, Cecil Court (and BK's and my friend, Nigel Williams) remains pretty much intact and seems to have added a few refugee bookshops from other places around town.

If it hadn't been for the National, the West End would have been pretty dismal.  I fear it's looking more like Broadway all the time.  We saw nothing in Shaftsbury Avenue this trip, because there was nothing worth seeing.  Merely an array of tired musical revivals, comedian one-man shows, and dreary rockish musicals.  In the weekly theatre guide, I counted 26 musicals to 11 straight shows...most of those musicals were tedious, tired crap like Stomp; We Will Rock You; Diry Dancing; Les Miz; or inervating revivals of Grease; Sound of Music; Phantom; Joseph and the Amazing Technicolour Dreamcoat.  And then there are the long runs like Chicago -- come on already, the movie came out years ago!  I'm so tired of long runs that should have been shuttered eons ago, bad rock musicals, and musicals made from movies.   Thank God for the RSC and the National!

Cillaliz

« Reply #63 on: February 01, 2009, 08:15:50 AM »

Today is the 50th Anniversary of the day the music died.

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/article/20090201/BUDDYHOLLY/902010336

Cillaliz

« Reply #64 on: February 01, 2009, 08:16:12 AM »

HAPPY BIRTHDAY DR KERRY~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Cillaliz

« Reply #65 on: February 01, 2009, 08:16:32 AM »

HAPPY BIRTHDAY DONALD F ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Cillaliz

« Reply #66 on: February 01, 2009, 08:17:42 AM »

Time to hang wallpaper

td

• td
« Reply #67 on: February 01, 2009, 08:20:22 AM »

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ WELL-HUNG WALLPAPER VIBES FOR DR CILLALIZ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #68 on: February 01, 2009, 08:31:08 AM »

Good Morning!

I'm up, I'm up... And I'm restoring my iPhone... I hope.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #69 on: February 01, 2009, 08:34:07 AM »

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, DR KERRY!!!!!
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #70 on: February 01, 2009, 08:34:23 AM »

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, DJ DONALD!!!!!
Make Your Own Luck.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #71 on: February 01, 2009, 08:38:44 AM »

DR MATTH - if you would like an anaglyph DVD of Kiss Me Kate that might work on your TV....send me your snail mail.

It's okay....and better than nothing.

I think I will just stick with Brent Barrett's KISS ME KATE.  It isn't perfect - but he is!
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #72 on: February 01, 2009, 08:45:18 AM »

DR Charles Pogue - "Little Eyolf" becomes "Mrs. Affleck"?  Hmm...
Make Your Own Luck.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #73 on: February 01, 2009, 08:45:31 AM »

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, DR KERRY!
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #74 on: February 01, 2009, 08:46:51 AM »

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, DONALD FELTHAM!
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #75 on: February 01, 2009, 08:49:14 AM »

This is the front page story in the Des Moines Register this morning

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/article/20090201/NEWS/902010351/1001

Keeler: Warner's legacy beyond football is already written

Thought the Cardinal fans may find it interesting.  He was a quarterback at the University of Northern Iowa and played with the Iowa Barnstormers in the indoor football league, so Iowa claims him as one of our own

Kurt Warner's face makes him look like SHREK in that photo.
“One thing’s universal,

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #76 on: February 01, 2009, 08:57:16 AM »

I'm up, I'm up.  And welcome to February.  The sky is blue, and I am groggy, it's really true that soon I'll joggy.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #77 on: February 01, 2009, 09:04:07 AM »

DR MATTH - if you would like an anaglyph DVD of Kiss Me Kate that might work on your TV....send me your snail mail.

It's okay....and better than nothing.

I think I will just stick with Brent Barrett's KISS ME KATE.  It isn't perfect - but he is!

I loved the Broadway revival, but this was a disappointing transcription of it, particularly the direction.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #78 on: February 01, 2009, 09:07:34 AM »

The thing I remember most about CANNERY ROW was that Raquel Welch was originally cast and was replaced after filming started by Debra Winger. Miss Welch filed a huge lawsuit but I'm not sure whatever became of it (the lawsuit, not Miss Welch).

Matt H.

« Reply #79 on: February 01, 2009, 09:08:45 AM »

I must head down now and start cooking lunch. Then, on to my work assignment.

WBBL.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #80 on: February 01, 2009, 09:19:51 AM »

DR Charles Pogue - "Little Eyolf" becomes "Mrs. Affleck"?  Hmm...

Jose, sadly, it didn't become much of anything.  One prominent critic suggested a more enjoyable evening might be spent tearing out one's fingernails by the roots.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #81 on: February 01, 2009, 09:26:44 AM »

A special birthday message to Kerry from friends he may not even know he had!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWlEf0pd-VM

This is great!  ;D

Jane

« Reply #82 on: February 01, 2009, 09:29:46 AM »

HAPPY BIRTHDAY DR KERRY! HOPE YOUR DAY IS PERFECT!

Jane

« Reply #83 on: February 01, 2009, 09:32:00 AM »

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO RADIO HOST DONALD FELTHAM!!!

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #84 on: February 01, 2009, 09:59:47 AM »

I am figuring that I will get to see most of the second half of the Super Bowl today.  GLORIOUS runs approximately 2 hours; 5 minutes with the intermission.  The cast is expected to do the "meet and greet" with the audience after the show, but I may just put in a brief appearance.  The house is practically sold out today.
“One thing’s universal,

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #85 on: February 01, 2009, 10:00:51 AM »

DR Jane:  Regarding your comment about remembering the keyboard characters to create smilies, I'll ask if you have a printer.  If you do, you can click on "quote" to a post that contains a smiley you like.  When you see the text, you will see the characters rather than the emoticon they create.  Make a note you can keep next to your computer that for a big grinning smiley, you'd type a colon ( : ) and a capital ( D ) with no space between them.

For a winking smiley, you'd type a colon ( : ) and a semi-colon ( ; ).

Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #86 on: February 01, 2009, 10:03:45 AM »

The thing I remember most about CANNERY ROW was that Raquel Welch was originally cast and was replaced after filming started by Debra Winger. Miss Welch filed a huge lawsuit but I'm not sure whatever became of it (the lawsuit, not Miss Welch).

From wikipedia:

Raquel Welch was originally cast to play Suzy, but was fired after five days' filming. It was alleged she was taking too long to get ready each day. Welch sued the studio, MGM, and won a multi-million dollar settlement in the mid-eighties, but by then her film career was badly damaged. Because Turner Entertainment owned the film when she won the settlement, Turner had to pay it.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2009, 10:06:06 AM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Jane

« Reply #87 on: February 01, 2009, 10:12:35 AM »

DR Jane:  Regarding your comment about remembering the keyboard characters to create smilies, I'll ask if you have a printer.  If you do, you can click on "quote" to a post that contains a smiley you like.  When you see the text, you will see the characters rather than the emoticon they create.  Make a note you can keep next to your computer that for a big grinning smiley, you'd type a colon ( : ) and a capital ( D ) with no space between them.

For a winking smiley, you'd type a colon ( : ) and a semi-colon ( ; ).

If you saw the junk on my little desk you would know there isn't room for me to print out a cheat sheet. ::)  I'm rather hopeless.
I saved all the details on my computer, though at this point it is faster to use the preview :D  In reality I use the preview box a lot, simply because it is easier to see what I'm typing in the preview box.

Jane

« Reply #88 on: February 01, 2009, 10:15:54 AM »

Matt H I am very impressed you have gone TWO MONTHS without chocolate.  I should strive to be as good as you are.  I have been slowly reducing the amount of chocolate I eat (don’t want to go through withdrawal).  I get so sick when I eat too much chocolate you would think it would be easy to give up.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #89 on: February 01, 2009, 10:19:25 AM »

I cannot and will not believe that it is now February! What happened to January? What happened to 2008?

:o

Hell, what happened to the 20th Century!
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 12   Go Up