Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14   Go Down

Author Topic: PARDON MY FRENCH  (Read 29894 times)

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
Re: PARDON MY FRENCH
« Reply #330 on: February 04, 2009, 06:27:52 PM »

Just heard from the director of THE PRODUCERS.  He is evidently close friends with his neighbor, Ken Thorne (AFTHOTWTTF film Oscar, and a bunch of Beatles related stuff), who wants to lend the show some keyboards.  Ken may also travel up north to see the show.  That will be fun.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #331 on: February 04, 2009, 06:28:25 PM »

~~~~CONTINUED VIBES FOR DEAR TOMOVOZ~~~~~~~~~
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #332 on: February 04, 2009, 06:29:49 PM »

Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

vixmom

« Reply #333 on: February 04, 2009, 06:31:07 PM »

Just heard from the director of THE PRODUCERS.  He is evidently close friends with his neighbor, Ken Thorne (AFTHOTWTTF film Oscar, and a bunch of Beatles related stuff), who wants to lend the show some keyboards.  Ken may also travel up north to see the show.  That will be fun.

I have NO idea what film JMK is referring to  - I am a bit dim though

vixmom

« Reply #334 on: February 04, 2009, 06:31:47 PM »

But congrats on the keyboard loans!

vixmom

« Reply #335 on: February 04, 2009, 06:32:26 PM »

OK I think I have to go sleep now - Laters!!

VIBES to all what needs 'em!!!!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #336 on: February 04, 2009, 06:32:53 PM »

Btw, the current commercial for the upcoming revival of West Side Story is lame.  -IMHO, of course.
Make Your Own Luck.

vixmom

« Reply #337 on: February 04, 2009, 06:33:23 PM »

~~~~Special Health Vibes and Prayers for Laura's sister~~~~

George

« Reply #338 on: February 04, 2009, 06:34:35 PM »

I have NO idea what film JMK is referring to  - I am a bit dim though

A Funny Thing Happened On The Way To The Forum.

;D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #339 on: February 04, 2009, 06:37:09 PM »

Oh, and TODAY IN THEATRE HISTORY...

Thorton Wilder's OUR TOWN opened today in 1938 at the Henry Miller Theatre. 

To celebrate, don't forget your rubbers!

That's also a Bye Bye Birdie reference. ;)

Cillaliz

« Reply #340 on: February 04, 2009, 06:38:08 PM »

Thanks for the decorating pics, DR Cillaliz!  Richard and I have been discussing some projects that we'll get serious about when the weather improves.  We like to be able to open the windows when painting is being done (notice I didn't say "when we're painting"  ;))

The new environmental friendly no VOC paints are amazingly odor free.  The primer did have odor, but the paint didn't

Cillaliz

« Reply #341 on: February 04, 2009, 06:39:18 PM »

Cilla it looks as if all your hard work is paying off.  Congrats!!!

Thanks Vixmom.  I really like the way it's shaping up

Cillaliz

« Reply #342 on: February 04, 2009, 06:40:19 PM »

Thanks George. 

Tomovoz

« Reply #343 on: February 04, 2009, 06:40:20 PM »

Thank you DRs for your support.

My lastest unseemly cell count is down from last time.  It is now down 0.4 from six months ago.
No-one knows why in fact what is going on - other than the effect of the wishes and prayers of supportive friends.  No more stress for another three months!

I don't know is I shared the information before but I did light a candle when in France - it was in Condom Cathedral.  It somehow seemed appropriate.  My surgeon will no doubt use that story!
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Laura

« Reply #344 on: February 04, 2009, 06:41:12 PM »

~~~~Special Health Vibes and Prayers for Laura's sister~~~~

Thanks, Vixmom. I heard from her yesterday. Round 2 was harder than Round 1, but at the moment she feels ok.
"That's a lotta hamsters."

Laura

« Reply #345 on: February 04, 2009, 06:42:31 PM »

Continued prayers for Tomovoz. Hopefully we can pray those unseemly cells away!
"That's a lotta hamsters."

Tomovoz

« Reply #346 on: February 04, 2009, 06:44:11 PM »

It appears that the theme song from Gran Torino (Jamie Cullum) is only available as a download.  I thus can not have a hard copy and can not compile  a disc of this year's Golden Globe and Oscar song nominees.

I've tried by converting to wave files but it still can't be copied.  I am vexed!

Tom, Google "Protected Music Converter" and download it--you get a couple of uses free before you need to pay the Shareware price, which isn't bad, as I recall.

Thank you DR JMK.  I hope I can cope with that.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

George

« Reply #347 on: February 04, 2009, 06:44:49 PM »

I have a question for the library workers here (or even people who use the library a lot).

Is it common to cut up little paperbacks?

My sister's library takes their small paperbacks and cuts off the front and back and glues it on to this hard covered frame.

Now it obviously makes the books last a lot longer. But it just seems so wrong to me to cut up books.

DR Jennifer - that's a standard rebinding practice for paperbacks.  The alternative would probably be discarding the book all together.

I did not know that. I need to check my library. But i have never seen a book rebinded in this way. Although all the soft covers i've taken out from my library have been the larger one. I am going to check and see what the smaller ones look like. But i just found it very odd (it looks odd too).

DR George may be able to confirm this, but I think libraries can even purchase new paperbacks pre-bound in the manner you describe.  The library from which I just retired acquired paperbacks with heavy-duty clear plastic covers.

Prebound books can be bought, but they're more expensive than regular paperbacks (of course).  But they do last a lot longer, so money is saved in the long run.  Otherwise, libraries can send tattered but otherwise still readable books to a bindery, where the covers are removed and the pages are put into new hardback covers with or without the original covers used as artwork.  It's done in our library system all the time.  Ultimately, it's the information in the book that the patron wants and the library wants to keep.  We're not storing "collectibles" to retain the value of historical items, so the original condition and format are not important.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2009, 06:49:36 PM by George »

Cillaliz

« Reply #348 on: February 04, 2009, 06:45:42 PM »

Continued vibes for DR Tomovoz and DR Laura's Sister~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ginny

« Reply #349 on: February 04, 2009, 06:49:20 PM »

I'm about to go watch CSI: NY, which apparently takes place in New York Public Library tonight.

Vibes to DR Laura's sister and DRs Vixmom, Tomovoz, Jose (travel), and anyone else who needs them!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Cillaliz

« Reply #350 on: February 04, 2009, 06:49:29 PM »

Travel Vibes to DR Jose~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

George

« Reply #351 on: February 04, 2009, 06:51:26 PM »

It appears that the theme song from Gran Torino (Jamie Cullum) is only available as a download.  I thus can not have a hard copy and can not compile  a disc of this year's Golden Globe and Oscar song nominees.

I've tried by converting to wave files but it still can't be copied.  I am vexed!

Well, maybe an HHW Techo-nerd can help you out. (George...Jeff...)

der Brucer

What format is the original file?  MP3 or m4a or something else?

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #352 on: February 04, 2009, 06:52:51 PM »

DR Tomovoz - :) :) :) :) :)
Make Your Own Luck.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #353 on: February 04, 2009, 06:53:23 PM »

der Brucer

It doesn't matter if it's a protected file, as a lot of downloads are.  I ran into this sometime ago and downloaded the program I mentioned to Tom and it worked great.  I can convert to all file formats but if it's protected, it's protected and you won't be able to copy it.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #354 on: February 04, 2009, 06:53:36 PM »

Thanks for all the pre-flight Travel Vibes!
Make Your Own Luck.

Tomovoz

« Reply #355 on: February 04, 2009, 06:53:47 PM »

MP3 .  Jeff's suggestion worked.

Thank you DRs for the suggestions etc.  I now have a "hard" copy.
James Thurber 1957

George

« Reply #356 on: February 04, 2009, 06:54:05 PM »

der Brucer

It doesn't matter if it's a protected file, as a lot of downloads are.  I ran into this sometime ago and downloaded the program I mentioned to Tom and it worked great.  I can convert to all file formats but if it's protected, it's protected and you won't be able to copy it.

I guess I've just never come across a "protected" music file. :-\

George

« Reply #357 on: February 04, 2009, 06:54:24 PM »

MP3 .  Jeff's suggestion worked.

Thank you DRs for the suggestions etc.  I now have a "hard" copy.

Great news!

George

« Reply #358 on: February 04, 2009, 06:56:15 PM »

der Brucer

I guess I've just never come across a "protected" music file. :-\

I do have a recorder on my computer that can manually record any sound that is played.  I have recorded streaming audio (usually RealAudio) that couldn't be downloaded and made recordings that way. ;)

Jennifer

« Reply #359 on: February 04, 2009, 07:00:37 PM »

RE: American Idol.

DR Jose, i think you are right. Some of the hollywood shows in other years might have been 2 hours. So maybe they are just saying that they are having extended 2 week coverage.

I'm guessing DR MattH will not like tonight's show. They focus a lot on the drama and very little on the singing. Also they cut a few people with potential. And there are 75 left and they have not shown most of them. It's very frustrating.

Does anyone know if there is a website that shows things like the group numbers. There were 25 groups. Yet they did not show most of them. Or they just featured one person in the group and did not show the rest!
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14   Go Up