Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: THE SHORT FUSE  (Read 23936 times)

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
Re:THE SHORT FUSE
« Reply #30 on: March 10, 2004, 09:15:20 AM »

WFO - Thinking of you and Joe.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #31 on: March 10, 2004, 09:15:32 AM »

Here's something everyone ought to take notice of -- it's about music and how "personal" it has become:

http://www.liquidgeneration.com/rumormill/ipod_killing.html

WOW!!!!

Now I have to wonder if anyone got bludgeoned to death with a Walkman due to a mix-tape dispute?!?!?

;D
Make Your Own Luck.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #32 on: March 10, 2004, 09:22:28 AM »

What Hollywood couples do you most admire?

A friend and I used to play a game called "Who Shall We Invite This Weekend?" whenever we went to his family's place at the Jersey Shore.  There were no stakes involved--you just had to name a couple who you thought would be fun to spend some time with.  I remember that I chose Phil Donahue and Marlo Thomas a lot.  

A question for BK:  Do you own a typewriter and do you ever use it? When was the last time you did use one?  (I'm asking 'cause I just came across my old electric Smith-Corona and I have a nostalgic yen to plug it in and use it.)

Bad casting for The Producers?  My immediate response is Steven Newport as Max (for those who are unfortunately familiar.)  
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #33 on: March 10, 2004, 09:31:49 AM »

The Road to the Producers, a classic Hollywood musical comedy:

Bing Crosby as Max
Bob Hope as Leo
Dorothy Lamour as Ulla
Cary Grant as Roger
Randolph Scott as Carmen
and Jack Benny as Franz.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #34 on: March 10, 2004, 09:33:06 AM »

Just fixed a couple of computer problems. Hurray!
(And althought the question was for bk - When I was around 12 or 13, I wanted a typewriter more than anything in the world. Was given one - a portable Olympus in a black case - for a birthday or some similar occasion. Held onto it all these years. Got rid of it just before moving back to LA. Probably shouldn't have done that.)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #35 on: March 10, 2004, 09:35:45 AM »

DR Panni - Be sure that your other window is not just "hiding" behind the new one.  Otherwise, the easy workaround is to open an Internet Explorer window "outside" of AOL.  I know it's possible to do that on a Mac, I'm just not sure which menu and/or keystrokes you would have to use.

OH!!!  And today's mail just came in.  And in today's mail was my monthly newsletter from the DC Local of the musician's union (AFM).  And on the cover of this month's newsletter is a picture of me(!) with the rest of my Camelot pit mates.  And accompanying the picture is the story of how our french horn player had Super-Glue'd his fingers together one night before the show, and how he got his fingers unstuck during the first act.  I'm truly LOL-ing!

I'll see if I can get the pic scanned and posted here along with the story.

Oh, and the headline:

LOCAL MUSICIAN 'STUCK ON HIMSELF'

;D

And for my most recent, amazing meal.. Has to be in New York City this past January at Becco.  Between me and Steve we supped on:
Antipasti: Octopus, various roasted vegetables (zucchini, tomatoes, asparagus, red peppers), bononcini (marinated mozarella balls), homemade ricotta cheese with honey and black pepper, caesar salad, etc.
Entrees: Pasta (three types - vegetable canneloni, farfalle with veal bolognese and spaghettini con pomodoro), and a seafood (salmon, shrimp, lobster) "misto" in a saffron cream sauce with polenta.
Dessert: We had the sampler - chocolate zabaglione "cake", cinnamon and walnut gelato, italian bread pudding, vanilla panna cotta, ricotta cheesecake.
And a nice bottle of Est! Est!! Est!! - a nice, reasonably priced white - and one of my favorites since it just about goes with everything - or simply by itself.  Oh, and coffee and cappucino too!

YUM!

Hmm... I wonder if I can make reservations for this weekend... Hmm....

NOW I have to get ready and pack!....
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #36 on: March 10, 2004, 09:36:54 AM »

This is a Mac problem, not one with AOL.  First of all, just minimize HHW if you open another window, then it won't disappear.  Second, you shouldn't have to re-log in if you've checked the proper box.  Yes, if you open google and leave HHW behind it, and then you close out google by using the "X" everything behind it will also disappear.  So, either use your "back" button to go back to the HHW screen, or, as I said above, minimize it (by using the - button).

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #37 on: March 10, 2004, 09:37:34 AM »

Short Fuses:  I have a pretty long fuse, I'll tell you.  But it has burned down a lot lately for reasons well known to you.  I am spending the morning fielding phone calls from relatives, attorneys, wardens, and the kitchen sink.  I may have to drive out to the end of the Island of Long to file an Emergency Writ of Habeas Corpus with the Supreme Court, because that is faster than getting a lawyer to move his tuchis.

In between all that, I have a pleasant way to vent.  I opened all the windows (to vent, of course) on the side of our house by the Castle of Evil.  I replayed "No One Mourns the Wicked" for about half an hour at loud volume.  I am now on repetitions of "No Good Deed".  Next will be "Epiphany".  I don't know what effect it is having on others, but it is certainly calming me down.

Any other musical requests would be welcome.
"Champagne to my real friends, and real pain to my sham friends!"
--Wayland Flowers

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #38 on: March 10, 2004, 09:39:41 AM »

I used an IBM Selectric typewriter until 1997, I think.  Then I made the switch to computer and have never looked back.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #39 on: March 10, 2004, 09:49:08 AM »

Short Fuses:  I have a pretty long fuse, I'll tell you.  But it has burned down a lot lately for reasons well known to you.  I am spending the morning fielding phone calls from relatives, attorneys, wardens, and the kitchen sink.  I may have to drive out to the end of the Island of Long to file an Emergency Writ of Habeas Corpus with the Supreme Court, because that is faster than getting a lawyer to move his tuchis.

In between all that, I have a pleasant way to vent.  I opened all the windows (to vent, of course) on the side of our house by the Castle of Evil.  I replayed "No One Mourns the Wicked" for about half an hour at loud volume.  I am now on repetitions of "No Good Deed".  Next will be "Epiphany".  I don't know what effect it is having on others, but it is certainly calming me down.

Orff - Carmina Burana
Britten - War Requiem
Berlioz - Hmm.. almost anything would work...
Night on Bald Mountain - preferably the disco version from Saturday Night Fever!!
Janacek - Sinfonietta - The one with the great opening horn call figures

I'll have to think about other musical theatre related ones...

And if you're interested and need a break - and can take a break - I'll be up in the city from Thursday-Sunday.  I can't remember if you live in Manhattan or on Long Island, but if you'd like to grab a dinner someplace...  The invitation is extended... And, heck, maybe we could have an impromptu East Coast H/K gathering?  Hmmm...

However, I do know that family comes first.  And Joe most certainly is your family.

-Hey, didn't I say I was packing?!?!
« Last Edit: March 10, 2004, 09:53:37 AM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #40 on: March 10, 2004, 09:50:01 AM »

MBarnum:  I have a confession to make:  I was a childhood tv theme junkie.  One of my faves was "Julia," with all those nice recorders.  No joke:  I had two piano lessons a week back in those days, my private lesson (which was at some ung-dly hour before school) and a group theory lesson on Tuesday nights, which ended too late for me to get home to hear "Julia" (I didn't care about the show--it was the theme I needed!!).  I remember very well screaming at my parents one night, "When am I ever going to have to know about double-flats?" in a futile attempt to get them to let me out of my theory hell.

LOL!  I had to read JMK's post over three times.  I kept reading that he had a group therapy lesson on Tuesday nights.   I thought it was very brave of JMK to tell us about his early emotional problems.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #41 on: March 10, 2004, 09:55:35 AM »

LOL!  I had to read JMK's post over three times.  I kept reading that he had a group therapy lesson on Tuesday nights.   I thought it was very brave of JMK to tell us about his early emotional problems.

Hey, as someone who went through all those classes too... Sometimes theory was therapy.  Well, at least for me.  But I'm weird that way.

OK - NOW I'm packing!  -Hmm.. I've heard that before...
Make Your Own Luck.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #42 on: March 10, 2004, 10:00:00 AM »

Here's something everyone ought to take notice of -- it's about music and how "personal" it has become:

http://www.liquidgeneration.com/rumormill/ipod_killing.html

I don't know if it changes each time a different person accesses the page, but under "Related News" was this link:  "Get great deals on the new Apple iPod mini. Starting at under $250"  Is that appropriate?

Okay, I get it.  I just looked around the rest of the webpage and this whole thing is a joke!  Pretty darned funny!
« Last Edit: March 10, 2004, 10:02:43 AM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #43 on: March 10, 2004, 10:02:27 AM »

Jose:

Thanks for the musical suggestions.  I am trying to concentrate on loud music with simple, easy to interpret lyrics.  If I had a song called "You Butt Cheeks Are the Most Disgusting People in the World", that would be most appropriate.

As for dinner, well I live on the Island of Long, and the wake is Friday, funeral Sunday, and I may have out-of-town relatives staying here, so I'll have to pass.  Maybe in happier times, because they will come, you know.

"Champagne to my real friends, and real pain to my sham friends!"
--Wayland Flowers

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #44 on: March 10, 2004, 10:11:36 AM »

I just caught up with yesterday afternoon's and evening's posts.  Heartfelt condolences to Dear Reader WFO, Joe, Dear Reader George, and their families and loved ones.
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #45 on: March 10, 2004, 10:17:16 AM »

Short Fuses:  

How about Nobody Steps on Kafritz (Henry Sweet Henry):

Nobody steps on Kafritz
If they do then they must be crushed
Out of my way you half-wits
No-body-steps-on-Kafritz!

Or one of these from Superman:

Revenge
So Long, Big Guy
I'm Not Finished Yet
« Last Edit: March 10, 2004, 10:36:43 AM by Dan-in-Toronto »

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #46 on: March 10, 2004, 10:26:19 AM »

Well...if you could put a song on continuous play (i.e.  a loop), and you were planning to leave the house for several hours or more, you should put on "My Heart Will Go On" and let it rip!

That would drive me to the loony bin REALLY QUICKLY.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #47 on: March 10, 2004, 10:26:55 AM »

Or, maybe, "You Light Up My Life."
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Jay

« Reply #48 on: March 10, 2004, 10:27:09 AM »

Elektra's dance at the end of Strauss' Elektra should do the trick, for more than one reason.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #49 on: March 10, 2004, 10:29:06 AM »

I am afraid that I, too, miss yesterday afternoon and evening's posts.  My heartfelt sympathties to WFO and Joe, and to George, as well as both of their families.  It never ceases to amaze me the way some family members react to tragic situations.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Jay

« Reply #50 on: March 10, 2004, 10:34:28 AM »

My finest recent meal was a few weeks ago when I was in Palm Springs.  It was at a restaurant called Johannes.  The first course was called Menage a Trois, which consisted of pieces of perfectly cooked lobster, shrimp and scallop bound by an outrageously complex citrus mayonnaise dressing.  The main course was a thoroughly delicious fan-sliced roasted duck breast, accompanied by grilled pineapple.  Dessert was a trio of chocolate delicacies:  white chocolate creme brule, milk chocolate mousse and a slice of dark chocolate flourless cake.

I was happy.

Jay

« Reply #51 on: March 10, 2004, 10:36:55 AM »

I am wholly intrigued by the Hollywood Couple comprised of Miss Susan Sarandon and Mr. Tim Robbins.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #52 on: March 10, 2004, 10:38:18 AM »

DR George,

My thoughts are with you and your family.

Jay

« Reply #53 on: March 10, 2004, 10:49:28 AM »

I attended a fascinating concert at Walt Disney Concert Hall last night, Dear Readers.  The program consisted of excerpts from all three of Duke Ellington's Sacred Concerts.  The Los Angeles Master Chorale was augmented by the Faithful Central Bible Church Heritage Chorale and the Luckman Jazz Orchestra.  There were about 135 singers on stage, along with the 16 piece orchestra.

The music was a wonderful amalgam of jazz, swing, blues and gospel, and the house shook with all the joyful noise the musicians made.  75 year old Ardie Bryant and a much younger Channing Cook Holmes performed some amazing tap dance routines in two numbers that had dancing before God as their subject.  Nmon Ford and Darius de Haas were terrific male solo vocalists, and Bobette Jamison-Harrison was superb in her renditions of both "The 23rd Psalm" and "Come Sunday."

Emily

« Reply #54 on: March 10, 2004, 11:00:29 AM »

My sympathies to both WFO and Joe and the rest of your family.  

My curses to the MacBeths and all their kind (btw "I Will Survive" is a pretty good bad song to play on on loop really loud - they will be insane by the third time)
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #55 on: March 10, 2004, 11:07:09 AM »

BK, I think you have a short fuse, because you're not getting enough carbos.  Eat a nice big bowl of pasta and chill, man!

Panni, I do know that Charles Boyer did commit suicide right after his wife died.  I don't remember whether it was the day after or not, but it was within a week of her death, I believe.

My BK question:  So last night you said, once I have my photo on my computer just add it to my profile page.  Yeah.  Right.  I've had the photo on the computer and TD kindly emailed it to me all properly downsized and everything.  The question is HOW do I add it to my profile page?

I've looked at my profile page and can't decipher how to do it.  Me confused.  Me no understand.  Remember you're talking to a Luddite here, a technological idiot.  Speak slowly and simply and step-by-step with any directions.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #56 on: March 10, 2004, 11:11:57 AM »

From the NY Times front-page article:

"Now, the Search for the Next Diva of Domesticity"

"This was like a tectonic plate shifting," Dan Gasby, Ms. Smith's [one of the Diva of Domesticity contenders] business partner and husband, said yesterday.

Emily

« Reply #57 on: March 10, 2004, 11:16:34 AM »

Now for the big post about my recent "Ms. Emily Goes to Ottawa" Expedition.

It was one of the greatest experiences of my life thus far (which either shows I have lead a relatively boring and uninteresting life or the trip really was that great).

We (i.e. 18 female poli. sci. students from McGill) arrived on Monday where we checked into our spiffy hotel and then went on a tour of Parliament.  All of us had been there before but it was nice to get to see the buildings and here the anecdotes about them and the pieces of artwork which are found both inside and on the grounds.  The tour guide, who was a poli. student at Carleton was generally dorky and kept treating us like 5 year olds, so we kind of started to talk back to him in the same way which was hilarious - if kind of mean.  :(

You Yanks will all be pleased to know that the American Embassy sits right across the street from Parliament and is situated in the ugliest modern monstrosity.  Of course, the rest of the buildings around it are mostly constructed in the Neo-Gothic style, so the Embassy really sticks out like a sore thumb.  Oh well... I guess you all like it that way ;)

That day we also got to sit in the Public Gallery during the House of Commons' Question Period (and also for part of a very long-winded and poorly attended debate on the decriminalization of marijuana).  The Prime Minister wasn't there though so we had to see Deputy PM Anne McLellan get gang-banged instead.  

We were then supposed to meet with Sheila Copps but she (understandably after losing her riding nomination battle) was not present.  Instead we got Health Minister Caroline Bennett who basically spent her half an hour with us singing the praises of Paul Martin.  I wonder how she possibly could have gotten made part of cabinet (cough cough)...

NOW FOR THE BIG NEWS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That night the organizer of the committee was talking to us about how Kofi Annan was going to be giving a speech to the joint House of Commons and Senate the next day when we were supposed to be job-shadowing our parliamentarian.  Because the Senator of MP would have had to arrange for seating at the speech for us very early on, we weren't going to be attending but would be able to watch it on close-circuted television in the Government HofC lobby.  Everyone was kind of disappointed.  But then one of the organizers pulled ME aside and told me that the senator I was to be shadowing had her office had get me a seat in the Government Members' gallery so that I would see it!  I literally jumped out of my skin.  

Shoot... I have class.  I will continue this story later.  Believe me when I say it gets better!!!! :D

"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #58 on: March 10, 2004, 11:20:06 AM »

My finest recent meal was a few weeks ago when I was in Palm Springs.  It was at a restaurant called Johannes.  The first course was called Menage a Trois, which consisted of pieces of perfectly cooked lobster, shrimp and scallop bound by an outrageously complex citrus mayonnaise dressing.  The main course was a thoroughly delicious fan-sliced roasted duck breast, accompanied by grilled pineapple.  Dessert was a trio of chocolate delicacies:  white chocolate creme brule, milk chocolate mousse and a slice of dark chocolate flourless cake.

I was happy.

You are NOW on my "list."

Grrrrrr!

William E. Lurie

« Reply #59 on: March 10, 2004, 11:22:30 AM »

Thank BK and Jose for your answers to my movie theatre questions.  BK, I forgot that smaller theatres like Film Forum still use the old 2 projector method.  I would have thought that the distributors would send the one reel version to theatres that wanted them and the multi-reel to theatres that used that system.  Since there is often no projectionist in the booth, I am surprised that these multiplexes have someone who even knows how to splice the reels together.

And Jose, as for having less shows 100% full instead of more shows not full, I would think it would depend on the film itself.  A big popular movie could easily fill up every show whereas a film with less appeal would probably not fill up regardless.  I think maybe the real purpose is to sell tickets to other shows that would not sell as well when the big shows are sold out and the customer ends up seeing his or her second choice.  Just think... if 1954 theatres didn't want more shows a day Judy might verywell have won the Oscar® she deserved.
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up