Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: THE DAMN NOTES  (Read 20884 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
THE DAMN NOTES
« on: February 15, 2009, 12:32:10 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, the notes were damn notes, and now it is time for you to post until the damn cows come home - they're currently starring in a production of Damn Yankees.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re: THE DAMN NOTES
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2009, 12:34:08 AM »

And the word of the day is: INELUCTABLE!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2009, 12:38:54 AM »

And a happy haineshisway.com birthday to former dear reader steveg.  And to Geof, whoever that is.  I can now pretty much see that the sender of the PM that was forwarded to me will now also be a former dear reader.  Very sad indeed, and I happen to know for a fact that this person hasn't even had the courtesy to even open the PM I sent explaining how I felt about it (it was a very even-keeled PM - nothing bad in it).  And life goes on here at haineshisway.com - as it always does.  And I think we can thank something that happened long ago for planting the specious seeds that poisoned several dear readers against both me and the site.  We shall never forget said specious seeds EVER.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2009, 12:39:53 AM »

And now - Dino at the piano.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2009, 12:52:17 AM »

...and I happen to know for a fact that this person hasn't even had the courtesy to even open the PM I sent explaining how I felt about it (it was a very even-keeled PM - nothing bad in it).

BK, it's possible that this person has actually read the message.  When one sends a PM, an e-mail with the message is also sent to the recipient if said recipient has his or her e-mail address in his or her profile.  So one does not have to actually log into HHW to read the PMs.

Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2009, 01:07:13 AM »

And now, I'm off to bed. :)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2009, 01:07:47 AM »

But before I go, as part of yesterday's topic (favorite disco songs), Der Brucer posted this:

TOD

(not yet mentioned)

Disco Annie
Disco Evita

der Brucer

Which made me realize that I forgot "The Disco Ballad of Sweeney Todd"! ;D

Good night.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2009, 01:25:44 AM »

...and I happen to know for a fact that this person hasn't even had the courtesy to even open the PM I sent explaining how I felt about it (it was a very even-keeled PM - nothing bad in it).

BK, it's possible that this person has actually read the message.  When one sends a PM, an e-mail with the message is also sent to the recipient if said recipient has his or her e-mail address in his or her profile.  So one does not have to actually log into HHW to read the PMs.

I was told this was not the case here.  It doesn't matter.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2009, 01:42:31 AM »

Yesterday, Michael S. wrote:

Re: MY FUNNY VALENTINE
Reply #384 on: February 14, 2009, 11:19:08 PM   

Quote from: Druxy on February 14, 2009, 08:19:10 PM
Quote from: JRand58 on February 14, 2009, 06:57:12 PM

_________________________________________________ _________________________________________________ _________
I made the mistake of switching to TCM and finding LOVE IS A MANY SPLENDORED THING.....one of my favorite romantic/tragic movies.....

And such beautiful music...and lovely CinemaScope photography....
_________________________________________________ _________________________________________________ _________

Did you know that the title song for that film, written by Paul Francis Webster and Sammy Fain, was almost thrown out of the picture?

No major recording artist wanted to record it.  Not Tony Martin.  Not Doris Day.  Not Nat "King" Cole.  Nobody!

Finally, Fox got The Four Aces to record it, but in order to do that, they had to cover the cost of an entire album.

Of course, the tune went on to win the Oscar and become one of the greatest love songs of all time.
_________________________________________________ _________________________________________

but didn't Frank Sinatra sing it in the film uncredited?

No, its lyric was introduced in the film by the 20th Century-Fox chorus at the end of the film. 

Sinatra sang "Three Coins in the Fountain", uncredited, the year before, but it was The Four Aces who made a commercial hit with it first.

I know that Fox introduced the song prior to the film's release by getting it out to radio stations and the fact that it was recorded by The Four Aces instead of a single artist may be where this allegation about no one wanting to record it came from. 

I would imagine the reverse is more likely true.  Since The Four Aces had scored so big with "Three Coins...", it would have been strange for Fox to have had any reservations about the song or that the studio would have gone with anyone else.  The Four Aces were huge in the early 1950s and made hits of songs like "Secret Love" and "Mr. Sandman."   With the previous year's mega-hit "Three Coins in the Fountain" and the succeeding year's "Love is a Many-Splendored Thing" and the title tune to Fox's "(It's A) Woman's World,"  Fox and The Four Aces were HUGE on the radio waves. 

Also, at the time the song began playing on radio, it had already been integrated into Alfred Newman's score because he felt it set the right tone throughout the film.  It would have taken a serious misfire during  previews for the song to have been taken out.    
« Last Edit: February 15, 2009, 01:54:31 AM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

DAW

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2009, 02:26:05 AM »

Congratulations as well on their stupendous weight loss to DR Edisaurus and to bk.

DAW

« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2009, 02:26:27 AM »

DR Anne, adorable photo of little Toby!!   :D

DAW

« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2009, 02:27:29 AM »

February half over so soon!  It won't be long before we'll be ringing those Christmas bells once again!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2009, 05:16:08 AM »

Well whatever happened, it's a perfect song for the film.  But Frank Sinatra did not sing it in "Love Is A Many Splendored Thing" uncredited or not.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

FJL

« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2009, 05:35:55 AM »

My coffee this morning was a many-Splenda'd thing

FJL

« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2009, 05:38:27 AM »

Vangelis with food poisoning - that's the title of my next food recall bulletin

(a notes reference)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2009, 05:43:39 AM »

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.....Vangelis, where the wind comes sweeping down the plain.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2009, 05:49:33 AM »

Of course I have to work today.  I am not as busy as MR BK because all of my activity is in ONE place.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2009, 05:49:48 AM »

AMAZING RACE starts tonight!!!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2009, 05:49:57 AM »

Off to work.

Jennifer

« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2009, 06:07:05 AM »

I will second what george wrote. How can you know if someone read their email. I rarely open the PMs on this site. Because i've already read them in my email. I only open it if i want to respond.

Jennifer

« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2009, 06:07:43 AM »

Btw, count me in as someone who is excited that THE AMAZING RACE starts tonight. This is my favorite reality show.

Also new are DESPERATE HOUSEWIVES and BROTHERS & SISTERS.

Kerry

« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2009, 06:13:52 AM »

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.....Vangelis, where the wind comes sweeping down the plain.

You'll just encourage FJL!!!!
I like boat races.

Kerry

« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2009, 06:26:12 AM »

I am up; it is freezing, and I had to take Sugar out to do her thing.  Lovely having her here, but I'll admit, the days when I cold just open the door and let her out loose in her own big fenced yard were easier on cold mornings.  She is cutely curled on the couch now.  And yes, walking 20 miles in the snow so she can pee is worth it.   Thank God we live in the desert!
I like boat races.

FJL

« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2009, 06:31:24 AM »

When I was your age, if we wanted to pee, we had to walk 20 miles in the snow, uphill - both ways

Michael

« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2009, 06:51:28 AM »

Those who keep records on this sort of thing.........

It seems that The Amazing Race has won six consecutive (since the category was started) Emmy Awards for Outstanding Reality/Competition Program

Has any program drama, comedy or music program won six emmys for best program?
I know Frasier won 5 consecutive Emmy Awards
Never stop dreaming.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2009, 07:13:11 AM »

But before I go, as part of yesterday's topic (favorite disco songs), Der Brucer posted this:

TOD

(not yet mentioned)

Disco Annie
Disco Evita

der Brucer

Which made me realize that I forgot "The Disco Ballad of Sweeney Todd"! ;D

Good night.

Most people do forget TDBoST...

Or try to...

Only to have it come back...

Late at night...

As part of a fevered dream...

Caused by bad peanut butter products...

Well, at least the sound effects match.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #26 on: February 15, 2009, 07:18:28 AM »

Bonnie, Buster, Mikey and Fletcher are surprisingly calm this morning.

What is surprising is that they are calm while we are out of doggy kibble.

I must awaken der Brucer, and get ready for workies, so that we can go pick up said doggy kibble before I actually go to work.

Have fun, everyone.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Ben

« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2009, 07:24:06 AM »

I am up; it is freezing, and I had to take Sugar out to do her thing.  Lovely having her here, but I'll admit, the days when I cold just open the door and let her out loose in her own big fenced yard were easier on cold mornings.  She is cutely curled on the couch now.  And yes, walking 20 miles in the snow so she can pee is worth it.   Thank God we live in the desert!

Freezing! Oh, Mary, get off my dress :)

You're from Arizona. Freezing to you is 65 degrees ;)

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #28 on: February 15, 2009, 07:26:09 AM »

Good morning, all! I was up way too late; I couldn't sleep and I kept getting emails about McGlinn. I would have slept in longer but it means I'll be in bed early tnight, I hope, because I'm moving very slowly.

I've got a lot of BABES IN TOYLAND to work on today so I'll be back later.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Ben

« Reply #29 on: February 15, 2009, 07:26:24 AM »

Good Morning. I am waiting for an exterminator that seems to have decided not to come this morning. We have a once a month service and it seems very spotty. He wasn't here two months ago. Last month he was early and this month he seems not to have shown up again.

Oh, well. I will now eat my breakfast. I put it off because I didn't want to be interrupted by a buy sprayer. Too bad for him.

I don't have to go to work tomorrow!!! Hooray!!!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Up