Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: THE DAMN NOTES  (Read 20727 times)

td

• td
Re: THE DAMN NOTES
« Reply #30 on: February 15, 2009, 07:26:33 AM »

When I was your age, if we wanted to pee, we had to walk 20 miles in the snow, uphill - both ways

Did you wear a paper hat?
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #31 on: February 15, 2009, 07:52:26 AM »

Good morning!

All the rain we were supposed to get yesterday was something of a pipe dream. We got .06 inches and that's all! It was basically clear by 10 a.m. Today is partly cloudy, but it doesn't appear that there will be any rain. Highs in the low 50s.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #32 on: February 15, 2009, 07:54:21 AM »

On TV Tonight!™

CBS - 60 MINUTES, THE AMAZING RACE, COLD CASE, THE UNIT
ABC - EXTREME MAKEOVER, DESPERATE HOUSEWIVES, BROTHERS & SISTERS
NBC - DATELINE, XIII (conclusion)

Matt H.

« Reply #33 on: February 15, 2009, 07:55:11 AM »

I'm still debating whether I want to do OUT AT THE WEDDING today or HIGH SCHOOL MUSICAL (on Blu-ray). Whichever one I don't do today will be done tomorrow.

Matt H.

« Reply #34 on: February 15, 2009, 07:56:42 AM »

I still have DAMAGES and THE OFFICE on my DVR which I'll get to today. DAMAGES while I eat lunch, and THE OFFICE later this evening. When Showtime has DEXTER and HBO has TRUE BLOOD running, Sundays turns into another logjam of shows, but when they're in the off season, I only have DESPERATE HOUSEWIVES and BROTHERS & SISTERS to deal with.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #35 on: February 15, 2009, 08:11:14 AM »

Yes, I'm incredibly stupid, take two:  How could Frank Sinatra sing something uncredited in a film that hadn't been released yet?

I think everyone would do well not to assume anything about anyone reading PMs or returning when they feel comfy.  That's all.  ;)
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

JMK

« Reply #36 on: February 15, 2009, 08:11:59 AM »

I started watching the most fascinating Stephen Hawking documentary last night that I have to review.  It's disconcerting to see a young and active Hawking in archival footage.

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

JMK

« Reply #37 on: February 15, 2009, 08:13:14 AM »

Still in my review pile (I've watched most of these, but have yet to write them up):  Akira BD, Amadeus BD, and The Yellow Rolls Royce.   Eclecticism, baby!

Betsy has Gabe at a swim meet so I must drag Zach out of bed (that damned attendant doesn't work weekends) and hie myself to church.

Matt H.

« Reply #38 on: February 15, 2009, 08:29:37 AM »

I guess I'll do OUT AT THE WEDDING today and save HIGH SCHOOL MUSICAL for tomorrow. Both come out Tuesday.

Matt H.

« Reply #39 on: February 15, 2009, 08:30:20 AM »

Heading down now to get laundry sorted for washing later and then I'll start thinking about what's for lunch.

WBBL.

Kerry

« Reply #40 on: February 15, 2009, 08:39:07 AM »

I am up; it is freezing, and I had to take Sugar out to do her thing.  Lovely having her here, but I'll admit, the days when I cold just open the door and let her out loose in her own big fenced yard were easier on cold mornings.  She is cutely curled on the couch now.  And yes, walking 20 miles in the snow so she can pee is worth it.   Thank God we live in the desert!

Freezing! Oh, Mary, get off my dress :)

You're from Arizona. Freezing to you is 65 degrees ;)

It was no more than 52 degrees, but i think it was actually officially 47 degrees at the time. 
I like boat races.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #41 on: February 15, 2009, 08:49:15 AM »

Good Morning!

I'm up, I'm up... I sort of slept in... Sort of running late... You know the drill...

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #42 on: February 15, 2009, 08:53:53 AM »

Yesterday, Michael S. wrote:

Re: MY FUNNY VALENTINE
Reply #384 on: February 14, 2009, 11:19:08 PM   

Quote from: Druxy on February 14, 2009, 08:19:10 PM
Quote from: JRand58 on February 14, 2009, 06:57:12 PM

_________________________________________________ _________________________________________________ _________
I made the mistake of switching to TCM and finding LOVE IS A MANY SPLENDORED THING.....one of my favorite romantic/tragic movies.....

And such beautiful music...and lovely CinemaScope photography....
_________________________________________________ _________________________________________________ _________

Did you know that the title song for that film, written by Paul Francis Webster and Sammy Fain, was almost thrown out of the picture?

No major recording artist wanted to record it.  Not Tony Martin.  Not Doris Day.  Not Nat "King" Cole.  Nobody!

Finally, Fox got The Four Aces to record it, but in order to do that, they had to cover the cost of an entire album.

Of course, the tune went on to win the Oscar and become one of the greatest love songs of all time.
_________________________________________________ _________________________________________

but didn't Frank Sinatra sing it in the film uncredited?

No, its lyric was introduced in the film by the 20th Century-Fox chorus at the end of the film. 

Sinatra sang "Three Coins in the Fountain", uncredited, the year before, but it was The Four Aces who made a commercial hit with it first.

I know that Fox introduced the song prior to the film's release by getting it out to radio stations and the fact that it was recorded by The Four Aces instead of a single artist may be where this allegation about no one wanting to record it came from. 

I would imagine the reverse is more likely true.  Since The Four Aces had scored so big with "Three Coins...", it would have been strange for Fox to have had any reservations about the song or that the studio would have gone with anyone else.  The Four Aces were huge in the early 1950s and made hits of songs like "Secret Love" and "Mr. Sandman."   With the previous year's mega-hit "Three Coins in the Fountain" and the succeeding year's "Love is a Many-Splendored Thing" and the title tune to Fox's "(It's A) Woman's World,"  Fox and The Four Aces were HUGE on the radio waves. 

Also, at the time the song began playing on radio, it had already been integrated into Alfred Newman's score because he felt it set the right tone throughout the film.  It would have taken a serious misfire during  previews for the song to have been taken out.   

I hate to dispute you on this, but I got this information directly from Paul Francis Webster.  I was his publicist for many years and he told me this story many times.
You can dream…or you can do.

FJL

« Reply #43 on: February 15, 2009, 08:54:53 AM »

td - Does anyone still wear a paper hat?

Michael

« Reply #44 on: February 15, 2009, 09:01:15 AM »

DR George

You said you saw Glorious! last night. I assume it is about Florence Foster Jenkins.

Is this the same play Souvenir under another name or different play?

I saw Souvenir with Judy Kaye on Broadway and there was no mention of the gay whorehouse.

My favorite moment is actually at the end of the play is when Cosmo muses what Florences heard in head when she sang. Judy Kaye then sang a beautiful rendition of Ava Maria
Never stop dreaming.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #45 on: February 15, 2009, 09:05:25 AM »

DR George

You said you saw Glorious! last night. I assume it is about Florence Foster Jenkins.

I saw Souvenir with Judy Kaye on Broadway and there was no mention of the gay whorehouse.

My favorite moment is actually at the end of the play is when Cosmo muses what Florences heard in head when she sang. Judy Kaye then sang a beautiful rendition of Ava Maria
SOUVENIR and GLORIOUS! are two different plays about Mrs Jenkins. The info on Cosme McMoon's later career as a brothel keep is in one of the CDs of Florence Foster Jenkins.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2009, 09:13:12 AM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #46 on: February 15, 2009, 09:11:12 AM »

Spending my long holiday weekend catching up with a number of various projects that had fallen to the sidelines during the past few months, one of which is making copies of various kinds of media that I had long ago promised to this DR and that DR.  Hold on to your horses, folks--the stuff should be in the mail this week!
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #47 on: February 15, 2009, 09:14:34 AM »

Or it might have been on this CD. There's also a great DVD available in Mrs Jenkins as well.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #48 on: February 15, 2009, 09:20:47 AM »

I'm up and my throat is feeling very funky.  With a recording and a reading this week, this is not so good, and I have no idea where this came from.  I guess I might not do the long jog and I'll certainly have a nice hot cup of EmergenC right now.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #49 on: February 15, 2009, 09:21:41 AM »

- Does anyone still wear a paper hat?

Most diners at a traditional English Christmas dinner - they're in the poppers.

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #50 on: February 15, 2009, 09:32:25 AM »

Sucking on a Coldeez and sipping some hot EmergenC.  Sippin' and Suckin' - isn't that a Bacharach and David song?

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #51 on: February 15, 2009, 09:33:55 AM »

I'm up and my throat is feeling very funky. 

Can you now play that funky music white boy?

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #52 on: February 15, 2009, 09:34:19 AM »

DR George

GLORIOUS is a different show than SOUVENIR, although both shows are about Florence Foster Jenkins.  GLORIOUS originally played in London and then toured in Canada.  Whereas SOUVENIR is more of a musical, GLORIOUS is a comedy, although the lead does sing three numbers during the course of the play.  No mention is made in the play about Cosme's gay whorehouse, although we did discuss it at the start of rehearsals.  As George mentioned, Cosme's sexuality is an accepted part of the play.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #53 on: February 15, 2009, 09:37:57 AM »

February half over so soon!  It won't be long before we'll be ringing those Christmas bells once again!

Hush your mouth, child!  I haven't bought one present yet!
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #54 on: February 15, 2009, 09:40:16 AM »

Yesterday, Michael S. wrote:

Re: MY FUNNY VALENTINE
Reply #384 on: February 14, 2009, 11:19:08 PM  

Quote from: Druxy on February 14, 2009, 08:19:10 PM
Quote from: JRand58 on February 14, 2009, 06:57:12 PM

I made the mistake of switching to TCM and finding LOVE IS A MANY SPLENDORED THING.....one of my favorite romantic/tragic movies.....

And such beautiful music...and lovely CinemaScope photography....

Did you know that the title song for that film, written by Paul Francis Webster and Sammy Fain, was almost thrown out of the picture?

No major recording artist wanted to record it.  Not Tony Martin.  Not Doris Day.  Not Nat "King" Cole.  Nobody!

Finally, Fox got The Four Aces to record it, but in order to do that, they had to cover the cost of an entire album.

Of course, the tune went on to win the Oscar and become one of the greatest love songs of all time.
_________________________________________________ _________________________________________

but didn't Frank Sinatra sing it in the film uncredited?

No, its lyric was introduced in the film by the 20th Century-Fox chorus at the end of the film. 

Sinatra sang "Three Coins in the Fountain", uncredited, the year before, but it was The Four Aces who made a commercial hit with it first.

I know that Fox introduced the song prior to the film's release by getting it out to radio stations and the fact that it was recorded by The Four Aces instead of a single artist may be where this allegation about no one wanting to record it came from. 

I would imagine the reverse is more likely true.  Since The Four Aces had scored so big with "Three Coins...", it would have been strange for Fox to have had any reservations about the song or that the studio would have gone with anyone else.  The Four Aces were huge in the early 1950s and made hits of songs like "Secret Love" and "Mr. Sandman."   With the previous year's mega-hit "Three Coins in the Fountain" and the succeeding year's "Love is a Many-Splendored Thing" and the title tune to Fox's "(It's A) Woman's World,"  Fox and The Four Aces were HUGE on the radio waves. 

Also, at the time the song began playing on radio, it had already been integrated into Alfred Newman's score because he felt it set the right tone throughout the film.  It would have taken a serious misfire during  previews for the song to have been taken out.   

I hate to dispute you on this, but I got this information directly from Paul Francis Webster.  I was his publicist for many years and he told me this story many times.

One obviously cannot argue with one of the writers.   Whatever the case about what the studio might have done, it all worked out extremely well in the end.  And my facts above are correct about the success of The Four Aces and those songs.  After "Three Coins...", it should not have been hard to accept when the group was offered "Love is a Many-Splendored Thing."  If audiences adored it upon first hearing, one might presume a singing group would recognize its considerable value.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2009, 10:01:58 AM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

FJL

« Reply #55 on: February 15, 2009, 09:42:54 AM »

singdaw - Was that a way of giving me a flimsy excuse to post another video link.  If only there were a song about it being February and wanting it to be Christmas again and - oh, never mind :)

FJL

« Reply #56 on: February 15, 2009, 09:43:48 AM »

Spoo, I meant DAW, not singdaw!!!

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #57 on: February 15, 2009, 09:45:25 AM »

Yes, I'm incredibly stupid, take two:  How could Frank Sinatra sing something uncredited in a film that hadn't been released yet?

Sinatra sang -- with no screen credit -- the title song to "Three Coins in the Fountain" over the film's main titles.

MBarnum

« Reply #58 on: February 15, 2009, 09:48:25 AM »

I feel like doing nothing but snuggling up on the couch with Cat Freddy and watching movies....right now I have SOUTH PACIFIC in the dvd player. I have not seen this film all the way through since I was a kid. It was never a favorite of mine. I always preferred musicals that took place in the city, rather then in the jungles...but this film does have it good points, and I image that Josh Logan had a lot of fun casting it  8)

Still, Ray Walston makes my skin crawl every time he is in a scene.

This DVD is not anamorphic. There must be a newer release that is.

FJL

« Reply #59 on: February 15, 2009, 09:50:32 AM »

Hmmm, I've watched the Debbie Reynolds "If I Had a Hammer" video so many times that it now comes up as a "Related Video" on youtube when I look at the screens with my own video uploads.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Up