Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10   Go Down

Author Topic: THE LIKES OF ME  (Read 24562 times)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
Re: THE LIKES OF ME
« Reply #240 on: February 16, 2009, 08:22:37 PM »

Thanks Ann and Jose. I am looking at reviews to see if the router I bought is a good one, or if I should look for something else.

If anyone has recommendations just holler.

Linksys?
Make Your Own Luck.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #241 on: February 16, 2009, 08:23:29 PM »

We have survived buying a new car.  Nice 2009 Chevy Cobalt, silver, 5-speed, could get up to 44mpg highway, which I'm thrilled about.

Congrats, JMK! 
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #242 on: February 16, 2009, 08:24:35 PM »

PAGE NINE ROUTER DANCE!!!!

Make Your Own Luck.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #243 on: February 16, 2009, 08:26:40 PM »

Ended up coming in to work tonight due to sick student. We have had an entertaining evening. Before I got here, we had a man masturbating outside of library...

Big convo on the FArgo network about it..
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

Cillaliz

« Reply #244 on: February 16, 2009, 08:29:35 PM »

I think I shall go wireless. I went to Best Buy today to look at printers/scanners since mine seems to not like to work. A clerk offered his assistance and we got to talking about wireless...I asked him if Comcast offered wireless, and he informed me what the internet provider does not provied the wireless but that I just needed to get a wireless router...well who knew?

He showed the contraptions to me and helped me pick one out.

So how many here at HHW use wireless? Was it painless to hook up?

I love being wireless. It's not hard to hook up at all.   I like being able to be on my laptop anywhere in my house and still be able to be online.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #245 on: February 16, 2009, 08:30:32 PM »

I got waylaid by some phone calls after I went downstairs, so I didn't have time to watch an entire movie before CHUCK began. Darn!
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #246 on: February 16, 2009, 08:32:29 PM »

Instead I watched another MOONLIGHT episode. This one was about the older vampire selling a drug made from vampire blood. Not one of the best episodes of the run, but it was OK.

Cillaliz

« Reply #247 on: February 16, 2009, 08:32:43 PM »

Well today we celebrated President's Afternoon.   We worked this morning, but I needed to be here for the repair man to come about the thermostat and I couldn't talk to most of the people I needed to talk to - they were off for the holiday. So we just closed the office. 

I did end up needing a new thermostat. Yikes! Who knew they were so expensive!  This one has a 5 year warranty so if it happens again

Matt H.

« Reply #248 on: February 16, 2009, 08:33:10 PM »

I skimmed through today's BIZARRE episode of AS THE WORLD TURNS. Nothing and nothing in the previews.

Cillaliz

« Reply #249 on: February 16, 2009, 08:33:49 PM »

I also worked on my taxes today, just to see how much I need to save up to pay before April.  The days of refunds are gone forever and being single, childless and self-employed, nothing in the stimulus will change that

Matt H.

« Reply #250 on: February 16, 2009, 08:34:36 PM »

I had enough time to watch an episode of NCIS from the first season box set. This was the one with Terry O'Quinn playing a colonel on the run from the FBI and Gibbs' attempts to help him. Very surprising ending, very touching. Glad I revisited this episode. I didn't really remember much about it as I was watching.

Cillaliz

« Reply #251 on: February 16, 2009, 08:34:55 PM »

I haven't finished them and need to get some more of my expense figures from the office, but so far it's not as bad as I was afraid it might be.  Looks like cashing in a big chunk of my retirement last January really did work out for the best.

Matt H.

« Reply #252 on: February 16, 2009, 08:35:54 PM »

I also worked on my taxes today, just to see how much I need to save up to pay before April.  The days of refunds are gone forever and being single, childless and self-employed, nothing in the stimulus will change that

I am in the same boat, DR Cilla. I haven't even started thinking about working on mine (late March is when I usually do them), but refunds are never in the cards for me.

Cillaliz

« Reply #253 on: February 16, 2009, 08:36:31 PM »

Edith and her husband stopped over tonight and picked up the 9x12 roll of carpet I got last summer at the going out of business sale at a local furniture store for $15.  I had thought about using it, but decided against it.  She said her daughter will love it in her room.   I am SOOO happy to have it out of my house. It was a big roll of carpet taking up a lot of space

Matt H.

« Reply #254 on: February 16, 2009, 08:37:22 PM »

CHUCK had an entertaining episode tonight, but I still think the show should completely drop having a "B" story with the Buy More folks each week. We get involved in this exciting spy mission with Chuck et al and have to continually keep cutting back to the ridiculous stuff at Buy More.

Matt H.

« Reply #255 on: February 16, 2009, 08:38:26 PM »

'24' revealed some secrets tonight which had been kept close to the vest since the season began. Very interesting developments. I am really enjoying this new season of '24.'

Cillaliz

« Reply #256 on: February 16, 2009, 08:39:10 PM »

I also gave them 5 of the 10 hockey tickets I got at the fundraiser a couple weeks ago.  The idea of a group going was an ok one, but the idea of a family outting and their kids going with them just seems better.   They told me they had been talking about going, so this is really great.  I still have enough tickets to go enjoy a match or two and we may all go together.

Matt H.

« Reply #257 on: February 16, 2009, 08:39:16 PM »

And I ended my evening with MEDIUM. Bizarre behavior from Allison always makes for a good time, and this was no exception. I really enjoyed the episode.

Matt H.

« Reply #258 on: February 16, 2009, 08:40:36 PM »

TOmorrow I will be working on the LAST disc in my review stack. I got nothing new all last week nor did I get anything today, so Criterion's next John Cassavetes movie FACES will be my last review disc until something new arrives.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #259 on: February 16, 2009, 08:43:05 PM »

I think I shall go wireless. I went to Best Buy today to look at printers/scanners since mine seems to not like to work. A clerk offered his assistance and we got to talking about wireless...I asked him if Comcast offered wireless, and he informed me what the internet provider does not provied the wireless but that I just needed to get a wireless router...well who knew?

I've been wireless for some time now.  It's a snap to set up, but it gets a little complicated when you add security such as WEP encryption and MAC address filtering.  But don't let that freak you out--once you learn about it, adding security is easy.

I've been using Linksys products for no reason in particular.  I currently have a combo modem/router unit that they don't seem to make anymore.  I think you are safe going with either Linksys or Netgear--just go with whichever is on sale this week at Best Buy.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Cillaliz

« Reply #260 on: February 16, 2009, 08:44:57 PM »

I've been wireless for some time now.  It's a snap to set up, but it gets a little complicated when you add security such as WEP encryption and MAC address filtering.  But don't let that freak you out--once you learn about it, adding security is easy.

I've been using Linksys products for no reason in particular.  I currently have a combo modem/router unit that they don't seem to make anymore.  I think you are safe going with either Linksys or Netgear--just go with whichever is on sale this week at Best Buy.

I have a Linksys modem/router too.  I didn't know they quit making them.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #261 on: February 16, 2009, 08:45:39 PM »

Kerry - When you and Laura come to NYC, we'll have a dessert bash to rival any in the city.

I'll bring me.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #262 on: February 16, 2009, 08:47:48 PM »

Well today we celebrated President's Afternoon.   We worked this morning, but I needed to be here for the repair man to come about the thermostat and I couldn't talk to most of the people I needed to talk to - they were off for the holiday. So we just closed the office. 

I did end up needing a new thermostat. Yikes! Who knew they were so expensive!  This one has a 5 year warranty so if it happens again

Hmmm...I often get a static shock when I touch my programmable thermostat.  Maybe I better start discharching myself somehow for now on before I short mine out too.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #263 on: February 16, 2009, 08:52:16 PM »

I have a Linksys modem/router too.  I didn't know they quit making them.

I've been casually eyeballing the store shelves for them lately, but I never see any.  Maybe they just call them routers now?
-- Anaïs Nin

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #264 on: February 16, 2009, 08:52:46 PM »

I'm back from a wonderful dinner with Lorin McGlinn Reiter, who's absolutley fantastic and completely bewildered by the eccentricities of her late brother John, estrangement from and hostility to his three siblings, and his death.  While we were at O'Neal's, Ron and Dona Raines showed up and it was great to introduce her to other acquaintances of her brother who had similar conflicted feelings of anger and ruined friendship. I think she and I consder ourselves great new friends and I look forward to meeting her family. Given the trauman for her of the past days, I think it was quite a lovely time. I really enjoyed myself.

BK, thanks for the post on Broadwayworld.com!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Matt H.

« Reply #265 on: February 16, 2009, 08:55:03 PM »

I'm heading downstairs to bed now.

Good night!

MBarnum

« Reply #266 on: February 16, 2009, 08:56:09 PM »

Netgear is the wireless router I bought, it was on sale for $66. I think I might take it back and get the Netgear Rangemax for $99. It has a pretty blue light on it.

FJL

« Reply #267 on: February 16, 2009, 08:56:44 PM »

JMK - new-car congrats to your family

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #268 on: February 16, 2009, 08:57:23 PM »

Bedtime for this Bonzo, too.

Nytol!
-- Anaïs Nin

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #269 on: February 16, 2009, 09:08:43 PM »

Netgear is the wireless router I bought, it was on sale for $66. I think I might take it back and get the Netgear Rangemax for $99. It has a pretty blue light on it.

I think you'll be safe with the one you currently have. The Rangemax is geared more toward larger offices and houses.

Do you have a laptop? Or are you primarily using the wireless for your printer?  Are you using DSL? Cable? How fast is your modem? Etc., etc., etc.?
Make Your Own Luck.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10   Go Up