Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9   Go Down

Author Topic: MOMENTUM  (Read 23433 times)

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
Re: MOMENTUM
« Reply #150 on: February 24, 2009, 05:00:54 PM »

So, there I was, doing the long jog, approaching the halfway point (two miles), when what do I hear?  Well, I'll tell you what I hear, loud and clear, being shouted from a VW bug - "Hey, fag!"  Yes, in the year 2009, in Los Angeles (or Studio City), someone leaned out the window of a VW bug and yelled, "Hey, fag!"  Now, perhaps seeing a sixty-one year old Jew in cutoff jeans with great legs stirred something deep inside him that was disturbing and this was his way of combatting it.  Or maybe he's just another intolerant teenage asshole with a brain the size of a barbecued almond.  Or maybe his parents taught him well.  Whatever it is, I found it astonishing, and not in a good way.  We think we've come a long way, baby, and yet people prove time and again we have a long way to go.  I wish for this person a cataclysmic event in his life that will shake him to his very foundation, so that he perhaps learns what tolerance and good manners mean, and that creating positive energy brings good things and yelling, "Hey, fag" makes the world more of a cesspool than it already is.  Yes, a nice, cataclysmic event for that young man is just the ticket.

Consider yourself lucky, BK.  You could have been physically attacked.  Anything from a thrown object, a can or bottle, to having a group jump out of the car with malice in mind.

Yeah, sure, Matthew Shepard comes to mind, but he's just the guy who got all the attention.  It was going on long before, and is still happening.  Exact numbers are not available.  Sorry.

My turn was 28 years ago, in the building where I was living.  I was jumped by a gang of six or seven, and managed to escape with just a broken nose and an impacted shoulder.  Back then, we didn't have the phrase "hate crime" to cover what had happened.  It was called a queer bashing, the implication being that it was my own fault somehow, because I wouldn't have been attacked if I weren't queer.

I hid the truth for a while, calling it a mugging.  And then I got angry.  And then I learned how to turn that anger into a different kind of strength.

Hate is a peculiar thing.  What we too often forget is how good it feels, how empowering and superior, to deny those whom we hate their very humanity.  And it is a terrifying thing to witness, because how does one stand up to hatred, to something so primal and lacking concern?  It is so much easier to simply stand by and let it happen, to not stand up in defiance, because if one stands up to hatred one can become the target of that hatred.  Did someone mention the Holocaust? 

What was that different kind of strength I mentioned?  I like to think of it as compassion.  But would I be strong enough to step up and side with those being attacked, if I were to witness it again?  I do not know.

I've said before that I avoid using the word "hate" to simply mean "dislike."  We have so many other words to define aversion, distaste, or mere boredom.  I reserve hate for the fearsome phenomenon that people use to justify their attacks on others.

And I wish, back in Biblical times, someone had included another commandment: Thou Shalt Not Hate.

Bows politely, steps down from soapbox, and quietly walks away.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

DAW

« Reply #151 on: February 24, 2009, 05:00:59 PM »

***VIBES OF SUNSHINE AND LOLLIPOPS***
for DR JM"Used to be Cool"K and Company

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #152 on: February 24, 2009, 05:05:25 PM »

Well said, Woody.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

DAW

« Reply #153 on: February 24, 2009, 05:08:17 PM »

Thanks for that, DR SWW.

td

• td
« Reply #154 on: February 24, 2009, 05:15:59 PM »

Woody is the man.
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

DAW

« Reply #155 on: February 24, 2009, 05:21:49 PM »

Woody is the man.

Dare I ask who might be the Madame?    ;)

td

• td
« Reply #156 on: February 24, 2009, 05:22:06 PM »

Following the discussion of ALL THAT CHAT, I'm listening to the most enjoyable A TIME FOR SINGING.

td

• td
« Reply #157 on: February 24, 2009, 05:22:36 PM »

Woody is the man.

Did you look in the mirror?  ;)

DAW

« Reply #158 on: February 24, 2009, 05:28:44 PM »

Did you look in the mirror? 

No one can even SEE my profile!

td

• td
« Reply #159 on: February 24, 2009, 05:30:47 PM »

Woody is the man.

Ann-Margret, Emily Skinner, Dolly Parton, Carlin Glynn. . .

and, for the truly esoteric:  Ethel Merman.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #160 on: February 24, 2009, 05:40:56 PM »

Woody is the man.

Ann-Margret, Emily Skinner, Dolly Parton, Carlin Glynn. . .

and, for the truly esoteric:  Ethel Merman.

And, for a very nice run in Los Angeles, Alexis Smith.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #161 on: February 24, 2009, 05:44:43 PM »

And it's too bad the world never saw a production of Best Little... with the involvement of Wayland Flowers!

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #162 on: February 24, 2009, 05:54:57 PM »

The weather reports says it is currently raining in Portland.

NO WATER DAMAGE VIBES FOR DR JMK!!!

Cillaliz

« Reply #163 on: February 24, 2009, 05:56:56 PM »

TOD: There have been several Titanic was a big one, before that it was the Chicago 8 Conspiracy trial.  I really got interested in that after I met Tom Haden and Bobby Seale.  I also know several of the lawyers who were involved pretrial. Of course there was geneology research at one time..

Cillaliz

« Reply #164 on: February 24, 2009, 05:57:33 PM »

Momentum is the new Weight watchers diet

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #165 on: February 24, 2009, 06:04:38 PM »

Woody is the man.

Do you have a wad of $20s tucked into your cleavage?
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #166 on: February 24, 2009, 06:07:16 PM »

I've had the most extraordinary day.  Someone from my 1970s past has found me on Facebook and has opened a great flood of good memories, whole names and contact e-mail addresses for folks we know in common.

My cup runneth over, so to speak.

It's been a "bit-by-bit" correspondence through the day, each new message opening up another door...for me and for my friend. 

I'm really happy about this.  I've googled some of these names dozens of times and sought them on Facebook and Classmates.com  and Reunion.com.   And now a nice bit of paydirt.

I'm totally psyched!
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Cillaliz

« Reply #167 on: February 24, 2009, 06:31:21 PM »

DR Cilla, Have a great, feel good, time in New Orleans.
SAFE  EASY TRAVEL VIBES!

Thanks!  Today was insane, I had SOOO much to do at work before leaving and somehow I managed to get most of it done and the rest of it successfully put off until next week.  I really can't believe everything fell into place.   For the first time in weeks I really feel healthy and great.

I do have one immigration hearing in the morning.  I'll go to the court in Omaha for that. (I fly out of Omaha in the afternoon) The judge appears on a video screen from Chicago. So, when I appear via telephone, which I usually do, the government attorney is in the courtroom, the judge is on the video screen and I am on the speakers in the courtroom.  It's really pretty bizarre

Jane

« Reply #168 on: February 24, 2009, 06:32:19 PM »

I've had the most extraordinary day.  Someone from my 1970s past has found me on Facebook and has opened a great flood of good memories, whole names and contact e-mail addresses for folks we know in common.

My cup runneth over, so to speak.

It's been a "bit-by-bit" correspondence through the day, each new message opening up another door...for me and for my friend. 

I'm really happy about this.  I've googled some of these names dozens of times and sought them on Facebook and Classmates.com  and Reunion.com.   And now a nice bit of paydirt.

I'm totally psyched!

That's great! :)

Jane

« Reply #169 on: February 24, 2009, 06:33:52 PM »

DR Cilla, sounds like you have an interesting morning planned.

Cillaliz

« Reply #170 on: February 24, 2009, 06:34:09 PM »

DR Jennifer I have had burns hurt for days, weeks. I would begin using an antibiotic ointment today.  I find aloe ointment bothers my skin so I often avoid products with it.

Thankfully when i woke up it was not hurting. I have never had a burn hurt for more than an hour.

It is very odd looking. It is a big red square. But it is on the underneath side of my arm (between hand and elbow).

I have antibiotic ointment and a light wrap around it.

Mine was in the shape of Australia

Jennifer

« Reply #171 on: February 24, 2009, 07:11:11 PM »

I finally saw Slumdog Millionaire tonight.  The theatre was very crowded. Although tuesdays are only $4.95 here. So every movie is full!

3DDiffusion

« Reply #172 on: February 24, 2009, 07:11:30 PM »

The period I simply cannot comprehend is the Holocaust. I don't understand the hatred, and I certainly don't understand the systematic annihilation of a race of people with (seemingly) no second thoughts about it and certainly no guilt or shame. No matter how many books I read on the period, I can't wrap my mind around how this happened and was allowed to happen.

Other than the German efficiency, I fail to see how the Holocaust differs from any other genocide in history. Are the Nazi's more incomprehensible than todays Palestinian culture that supports suicide bombers? And to the issue of "allowed to happen" just look at the relative ease with which we dismissed Rwanda and are dismissing Darfur and you'll see how convenient it was to turn away from the Holocaust.

der Brucer

What's this dismissing Darfur? I think we're at a point now where we expect other countries to not let these genocides happen. We're always criticized as trying to be the "policemen of  the world" and yet when we go in and try to help (Somalia) they turn on us.  There's a lot of racism in Rwanda and Darfur... no one talks about *that* though, since it's not white racists...
I never look back. It distracts from the now.
---Edna Mode

Jennifer

« Reply #173 on: February 24, 2009, 07:15:07 PM »

re: Slumdog Millionaire (mild spoilers)

I can't say that i loved it. Although i did love the last 45 minutes. I thought the first hour was just okay for me. I wish we could have seen less kids and more of the adults. I loved every part of them as adults.  Maybe part of what i didn't like of them as kids is i don't like violence.

But overall i'm glad i saw it. And the technique of telling the story was very interesting!

Jennifer

« Reply #174 on: February 24, 2009, 07:16:36 PM »

Well my burn can fit under 3 bandaids all going sideways.  I had to cover it since it was rubbing against my shirt.

Jane

« Reply #175 on: February 24, 2009, 07:26:19 PM »

That is a lot of band aids.  I try to keep extra large ones around.  Fortunately I don't need them very often, but when I do they are nice to have.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #176 on: February 24, 2009, 07:27:31 PM »

Well my burn can fit under 3 bandaids all going sideways.  I had to cover it since it was rubbing against my shirt.

Do you have some gauze and tape?
Make Your Own Luck.

Jane

« Reply #177 on: February 24, 2009, 07:30:04 PM »

I also keep gauze & tape handy.;)  I think I might prefer band aids to tape.

Jane

« Reply #178 on: February 24, 2009, 07:36:28 PM »

Keith has discovered a new person in my family tree:

Philo Taylor Farnsworth (August 19, 1906 – March 11, 1971) was an American inventor. He is best known for inventing the first completely electronic television. In particular, he was the first to make a working electronic image pickup device (video camera tube), and the first to demonstrate an all-electronic television system to the public.

In his later life, Farnsworth also invented a small nuclear fusion device known as a fusor.

I believe he is my 6th cousin 3x removed.

This is my consolation prize, Keith was pursuing a link to Jane Austin.  Now that would have been something-darn!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #179 on: February 24, 2009, 07:44:30 PM »

Dinner was great! I'm sure the first part of the evening for all of us was a bit of dancing around the kitchen and feeling each other out. Catching up was a lot of fun, Betsy's dinner was quite deelish, and I had a wonderful time. I think we'll be seeing more of each other.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9   Go Up