Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: HIGH TIME  (Read 16802 times)

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
Re: HIGH TIME
« Reply #120 on: April 14, 2009, 02:45:52 PM »

I quickly learned in my early 20's to stay away from all alcohol if I was depressed.

And so you lost your best excuse for tripping over your own feet!

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #121 on: April 14, 2009, 02:49:34 PM »

Simon Cowell is not a judge on "America's Got Talent",

Who said he was?

No one, DR Ron Pulliam.

I was just trying to inform DR Jennifer whom the judges were for the US version, and that Piers Morgan does appear on both.  And that Simon Cowell does not.

I see....you were being pro-active in anticipation of possible questions.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #122 on: April 14, 2009, 02:50:48 PM »

DR RonP, if you wanted me to watch that video of BRITAIN'S GOT TALENT all you had to say was that simon cowell was a judge! ;)

I was unfamiliar with the show. And surprisingly had no idea simon was a judge.

I think the moment i teared up was when she hit her first note and then the camera panned to simon's reaction.

It's funny but even after reading the comments here i was unprepared for what i heard. Unbelievable performance.

How does the show work? Does she only get to perform again at the end? It seem pointless to me for them to continue the competition. They already have their winner.

I'm sorry, but I wasn't wowed over by the woman.  Yes, she has a nice, above average voice but it isn't anything that I would think of as spectacular.  And that entire video segment is incredibly manipulative!  Clips of young and attractive audience members rolling their eyes at this woman.  Yes, I'm sure the video cameras just happened to capture those looks at that particular moment.  And then we get Simon Cowel's tramsformation from dismissful smirk to angelic rapture.  Puh-leeze...

Sorry to say, that was my exact reaction - the typical manipulated footage and editing - plus the outrageous three standing ovations in the MIDDLE OF THE SONG?  You want to know why Broadway theatergoing is such a joke these days - blame shows like this - now the minute a singer in a B'way show open their riffing mouths the audience whoops and hollers and totally ruin the show for normal people - and this is why shows now get mid-show standing ovations - absurd, ridiculous and why I don't go to the theater much anymore.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #123 on: April 14, 2009, 02:52:01 PM »

Had some pasta papa for lunch - very good.  Got my motor car washed, which I hadn't done in about four months.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #124 on: April 14, 2009, 02:55:19 PM »

It was not a good sky day. But here is our new $2.4 million public art piece:

Sadly, my exciting "A Ride on the Light Rail" video is too big for photobucket.

I'm sorry but to me, that is truly ridiculous looking.  At first I thought it was a new kind of satellite dish.

Jennifer

« Reply #125 on: April 14, 2009, 03:02:31 PM »

DR Jennifer - First of all, I believe I was the first DR to post a link to Susan Boyle's performance. ;) -Of course, I didn't mention Simon Cowell, but I did mention Paul Potts - who was mentioned quite a few times on this here site last year when he started his "climb" on "BGT".

I did not notice your link.  I think sometimes i tend not to click on links if someone just says, "look at this". But if the link is explained i will usually click!

Secondly - WOW!!!  So there is a reality/competition TV show that you did not know!?!?!??!  ;D

Yep, well probably because it is from the UK. I'm not really that familiar with all foreign reality comps! Although i did know simon was not a judge on the US version.

Jennifer

« Reply #126 on: April 14, 2009, 03:04:54 PM »

My throat is still not great, but quite a bit better than yesterday. I tossed and turned most of the night. But at least i sort of slept. I found that ricolla's and peppermint candies seem to really make my throat feel good. I also had hot chocolate.

It still hurts when i swallow. But if i try not to swallow then i feel much better. And although swallowing hurts, it isn't excruciating like yesterday.

My sister had asked me if i'd watch my niece because tonight is the only night before the baby is born that they can tour the hospital. But i don't want to go over there. So i asked my mom if she would go in my place.

I usually also stay with my niece on wednesday night. But unless i feel near perfect i don't think i will go. I don't want to get her or my sister sick.

Good idea to stay away from them until you are completely well, which I hope is soon.

Well if my sister wasn't pregnant i might have reconsidered. Since my niece is exposed to so many viruses.  I felt bad because they really needed a babysitter. But my throat still really hurts. Although like i said, definite improvement from yesterday.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #127 on: April 14, 2009, 03:05:30 PM »

Ben, Schiller's Mary Stuart sounds interesting.  Great cast.

BK, I remember seeing SWEET NOVEMBER when it originally came out.  No, it definitely did not work.  I think my Dragonheart pal, Jason Isaacs, was in the remake...don't know if he played the Newley part.

My problem with THE CHANGELING was I felt it couldn't make up its mind what kind of film it wanted to be...there were like three movies in there.   The whole subject matter made me very uncomfortable...more so, because it was true.  I'm a great, great admirer of Clint as a filmmaker, but one just didn't click for me.

Jane

« Reply #128 on: April 14, 2009, 03:05:35 PM »

DR Jennifer, was your mother able to fill in for you?

Laura

« Reply #129 on: April 14, 2009, 03:15:32 PM »

I signed on today to let you know they finally put it up- I can see it from my classroom. Funny how when I see a floating jellyfish, I think of you  :D

Ha ha! I saw it today. There's lots of junk in the way. It's hard to get a good shot. Maybe some day that park will be open and we can get closer to it.
"That's a lotta hamsters."

Laura

« Reply #130 on: April 14, 2009, 03:19:45 PM »

It occurred to me, DerBrucer, that I need to upload it to youtube and not photobucket. But thanks for being willing to fix it for me.

Jane

« Reply #131 on: April 14, 2009, 03:21:08 PM »

Ben, Schiller's Mary Stuart sounds interesting.  Great cast.

BK, I remember seeing SWEET NOVEMBER when it originally came out.  No, it definitely did not work.  I think my Dragonheart pal, Jason Isaacs, was in the remake...don't know if he played the Newley part.

My problem with THE CHANGELING was I felt it couldn't make up its mind what kind of film it wanted to be...there were like three movies in there.   The whole subject matter made me very uncomfortable...more so, because it was true.  I'm a great, great admirer of Clint as a filmmaker, but one just didn't click for me.

Keanu Reeves played the Newley part.  I never saw the remake & can't comment on it.  My friend's daughter was the stand in for Theron & had a fun time on the set.  She said everyone thought Reeves was a great guy.

I've read reviews of Changling with similar comments to yours.  Keith & I felt the stories were all connected and added to the plot and we liked the movie very much.  Not that I have any interest in watching it again, as you said it isn't a comfortable subject matter.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #132 on: April 14, 2009, 03:28:07 PM »

Betsy and I try to avoid films featuring plotlines involving missing children.  :)
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

DERBRUCER

« Reply #133 on: April 14, 2009, 03:31:22 PM »

I think my Dragonheart pal, Jason Isaacs, was in the remake...don't know if he played the Newley part.

He was, he didn't.

der Brucer

DERBRUCER

« Reply #134 on: April 14, 2009, 03:36:31 PM »

Betsy and I try to avoid films featuring plotlines involving missing children.  :)

Well, so much for Pinocchio and Peter Pan!

der Brucer

You might also consider a pass on Lord of the Flies
« Last Edit: April 14, 2009, 03:38:21 PM by DERBRUCER »

Jane

« Reply #135 on: April 14, 2009, 03:42:29 PM »

I know what you mean.  Whatever age my children are that is the worst age group for me to watch.  Now that they are getting old I need to get over this problem.

Jane

« Reply #136 on: April 14, 2009, 03:43:06 PM »

I do not like Lord of the Flies, never did.

Jane

« Reply #137 on: April 14, 2009, 03:43:37 PM »

I'm not a Pinocchio fan either ;D

Laura

« Reply #138 on: April 14, 2009, 03:44:19 PM »

Speaking of "High Times," Sasha has been enjoying the catnip sock today and has been acting a little goofy. She's at least 12 years old.

Jane

« Reply #139 on: April 14, 2009, 03:44:54 PM »

I signed on today to let you know they finally put it up- I can see it from my classroom. Funny how when I see a floating jellyfish, I think of you  :D

Ha ha! I saw it today. There's lots of junk in the way. It's hard to get a good shot. Maybe some day that park will be open and we can get closer to it.

That was a floating jellyfish? ;D  I asked Keith to take a guess & he just shrugged.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #140 on: April 14, 2009, 03:46:13 PM »

I do not like Lord of the Flies, never did.

What Jewish mother would!

der Brucer

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #141 on: April 14, 2009, 03:48:48 PM »

I guess I just don't "get" modern art -- sorry but I am not a fan of the floating jellyfish.  I hope that you are not too offended Laura!   :D
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

vixmom

« Reply #142 on: April 14, 2009, 03:50:29 PM »

FJL -

Since we have refrigerator full of colored hard boiled eggs I was wondering if you thought Skip would share his wonderful deviled egg recipe with us

Those were truly the best deviled eggs I have ever had in my life.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2009, 04:42:02 PM by vixmom »

vixmom

« Reply #143 on: April 14, 2009, 03:51:09 PM »

I need to bringthe Vixter to her Girl Scout meeting

LATERS!

Jennifer

« Reply #144 on: April 14, 2009, 03:52:20 PM »

DR Jennifer, was your mother able to fill in for you?

Yes they are together now!

My niece is so sweet she called and asked me "auntie, how are you feeling?"

Jane

« Reply #145 on: April 14, 2009, 03:52:41 PM »

Short but sweet visit DR Vixmom :)

Laura

« Reply #146 on: April 14, 2009, 03:52:54 PM »

The name of the piece is "Her Name is Patience." It is supposed to look like a saguaro blossom.

It is purple on the outside and orange on the inside. Saguaros are white with yellow centers.

Jane

« Reply #147 on: April 14, 2009, 03:53:21 PM »

That is sweet of your niece DR Jennifer.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #148 on: April 14, 2009, 03:56:16 PM »

I'm not a Pinocchio fan either ;D

I think the films that distress me the most are those in which a perfectly vile character can totally destroy innocence (Think One Flew Over The Cukoos Nest).

der Burcer

I still get the creeps whenever Louise Fletcher shows up on the screen.

Jane

« Reply #149 on: April 14, 2009, 03:56:45 PM »

The name of the piece is "Her Name is Patience." It is supposed to look like a saguaro blossom.

It is purple on the outside and orange on the inside. Saguaros are white with yellow centers.

At least it isn't a floating jellyfish ;D  I still don't get how a city could authorize such an expense, honestly for any expense to commission that.  I'm looking at the photos together and don't see it.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2009, 04:22:02 PM by Jane »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10   Go Up