Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: HIGH TIME  (Read 16729 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re: HIGH TIME
« Reply #30 on: April 14, 2009, 07:58:29 AM »

In the Changeling department, I, too, did not like the "acting" of Miss Jolie, and yet she gets nominated and acclaimed and reviewed as if she was the equal of someone like Meryl Streep.  And I agree that the Changeling script was not that good - it should have been, and yet, it, too, got nominated (I think) and wonderfully reviewed.  Which tells you something.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #31 on: April 14, 2009, 07:58:44 AM »

Good morning!

It's gray this morning and a bit cool. Maybe the sun will come out later.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #32 on: April 14, 2009, 07:58:47 AM »

I believe I'm up, and I believe I'll be jogging in about an hour.

Ben

« Reply #33 on: April 14, 2009, 07:59:42 AM »

A day of too much work and too little time.

This evening I go to the theatre to relax and see some English history.

Mary Stuart , originally by Friedrich Schiller and newly translated by Peter Oswald is at the Broadhurst and stars Janet McTeer and Harriet Walter.

My only concern is that it is directed by Phyllida Lloyd who directed Mamma Mia! I am not a fan of Mamma Mia (stone me now). But this particular production got rave reviews and I love English history so I'm looking forward to another night in the theatre.

I didn't care much for Distracted (I saw it Sunday afternoon). Most people really liked both the play and the performances. I think the performances were fine but I don't care for the play.

I did enjoy the revival of Accent on Youth, a play from 1934 written by Samson Raphaelson. He also wrote the 1925 stage version of The Jazz Singer. It's a classic 3 act 1930s Broadway comedy. It's been put into 2 acts but that doesn't affect the play in any way. Gorgeous sets and costumes! It's a sweet and funny production. Not great, but well worth seeing and it was a nice way to end my theatre marathon weekend.

DAW, I hope your your penultimate day at work is stress free (I believe you said tomorrow is your last day). Good luck with everything that comes after. Hugs to you as the new door opens.

Ben

« Reply #34 on: April 14, 2009, 08:00:55 AM »

To try and make up for the fact that I won't be riding the bike this evening I will walk to the theatre, unless it's raining when I leave.

Ben

« Reply #35 on: April 14, 2009, 08:01:10 AM »

I must return to the Sprint Foundation.

Matt H.

« Reply #36 on: April 14, 2009, 08:03:25 AM »

Like others, I have never tried any drugs and have never even been tempted. (Same with cigarettes.) I like feeling "regular." I don't need artificial means to feel good, happy, joyous, etc.

Matt H.

« Reply #37 on: April 14, 2009, 08:05:10 AM »

Today I'll be working on Season 6 of MISSION IMPOSSIBLE. This was the season of Lynda Day George, and I remember loving her on the show. I hope my memories haven't been clouded by time.

Matt H.

« Reply #38 on: April 14, 2009, 08:07:02 AM »

On TV Tonight!™

NBC - THE BIGGEST LOSER
CBS - WITHOUT A TRACE
ABC - ACCORDING TO JIM (two episodes), DANCING WITH THE STARS, CUPID
FOX - AMERICAN IDOL, FRINGE
CW  - REAPER, 90210
FX   - RESCUE ME

Matt H.

« Reply #39 on: April 14, 2009, 08:09:08 AM »

In the Changeling department, I, too, did not like the "acting" of Miss Jolie, and yet she gets nominated and acclaimed and reviewed as if she was the equal of someone like Meryl Streep.  And I agree that the Changeling script was not that good - it should have been, and yet, it, too, got nominated (I think) and wonderfully reviewed.  Which tells you something.

No, the script wasn't nominated at the Oscars, but Jolie was, of course. The script may have gotten nominations somewhere else.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #40 on: April 14, 2009, 08:16:17 AM »

Maybe it was nominated for a Golden Globe - I just know it got good reviews, although the film was not a success.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #41 on: April 14, 2009, 08:47:36 AM »

Where are you going for your walk, Elmore?

I read in the paper that after three attempts, our giant  $2.4 million floating jellyfish public art piece is finally in place. Maybe I'll go photograph that today.

I walked West across 82nd Street to Riverside Park and walked down past the basketball court and playground to the beginning of the park at 72nd Street, then  I walked East up 73rd Street admiring the row houses and old apartment buildings to Broadway. I stopped at Broadway Market on 77th and Broadway for some 15-grain bread and canned bean salad and walked up Broadway till I got home.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #42 on: April 14, 2009, 08:50:03 AM »

Now I have to work on Babes In Toyland for a while, adding footnotes to my report. I'll do this for a couple of hours and then jump over to THE MOST HAPPY FELLA.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Kerry

« Reply #43 on: April 14, 2009, 09:02:27 AM »

Good Morning.  I think that's it for now.
I like boat races.

Matt H.

« Reply #44 on: April 14, 2009, 09:09:25 AM »

I'm running way behind this morning, so I need to head down quickly now and get lunch started.

WBBL.

MBarnum

« Reply #45 on: April 14, 2009, 09:09:45 AM »

When I was about 18 or 19 and living in an apartment in Ashland I did finally sample some mary jane, as provided by my room-mate Howard.

To me, it was not an enjoyable experience.

And I find the smell of it to be disgusting.  :P

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #46 on: April 14, 2009, 09:19:10 AM »

Just for the record, alcohol is a depressant, not a stimulant.

And there is a link between alcohol abuse and depression.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #47 on: April 14, 2009, 09:20:18 AM »

Today was supposed to be a Personal Holiday.  I've been called in to work.  Say "La Vie."   :-\
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #48 on: April 14, 2009, 09:26:33 AM »

Esteemed BK:

A quick question for Mr. J.R.B. for tonight, or maybe not that quick.

Two of your songs, favorites of mine, are "All the Wasted Time" from Parade, and "I'd Give It All For You," from Songs for a New World.  Besides their both being love duets, they both appear (to my untrained ear, at least) to have similar, if not the same, time signature.  So, Mr. Brown, I'm curious: Do you find yourself gravitating to certain tempos when writing certain kinds of songs?
« Last Edit: April 14, 2009, 09:28:44 AM by S. Woody White »

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #49 on: April 14, 2009, 09:27:54 AM »

Workies (and the weather here in Rehoboth is foul - bleh!)

Jennifer

« Reply #50 on: April 14, 2009, 09:48:11 AM »

My throat is still not great, but quite a bit better than yesterday. I tossed and turned most of the night. But at least i sort of slept. I found that ricolla's and peppermint candies seem to really make my throat feel good. I also had hot chocolate.

It still hurts when i swallow. But if i try not to swallow then i feel much better. And although swallowing hurts, it isn't excruciating like yesterday.

My sister had asked me if i'd watch my niece because tonight is the only night before the baby is born that they can tour the hospital. But i don't want to go over there. So i asked my mom if she would go in my place.

I usually also stay with my niece on wednesday night. But unless i feel near perfect i don't think i will go. I don't want to get her or my sister sick.

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #51 on: April 14, 2009, 10:04:35 AM »

Slow news day around here. 

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #52 on: April 14, 2009, 10:17:37 AM »

For Jane and possibly MB--Bill Bradbury is who I was referring to yesterday:

http://www.blueoregon.com/2009/03/2010-bill-bradbury-for-governor.html

Betsy was his Media Director in the State Senate many years ago, and went on to be his Media Director and later Program Manager at an environmental organization he founded. 
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

MBarnum

« Reply #53 on: April 14, 2009, 10:23:38 AM »

I think I have run into Bill Bradbury a few times, or maybe I was at a meeting that he was at.

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #54 on: April 14, 2009, 10:31:55 AM »

Listening to "Two For the Seesaw" and loving it.  My first real foray into the world of film soundtracks, this is such great music.  Of course, I'm preaching to the choir here, but it's really fun.  Maybe it's the time period, too.  And of course, the sound. 

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #55 on: April 14, 2009, 10:35:26 AM »

Back from the long jog, which was lethargic.  Quite a pretty day out, though.  Also did an errand and shall now shave for the first time since Saturday.

Jennifer

« Reply #56 on: April 14, 2009, 10:37:01 AM »

DR RonP, if you wanted me to watch that video of BRITAIN'S GOT TALENT all you had to say was that simon cowell was a judge! ;)

I was unfamiliar with the show. And surprisingly had no idea simon was a judge.

I think the moment i teared up was when she hit her first note and then the camera panned to simon's reaction.

It's funny but even after reading the comments here i was unprepared for what i heard. Unbelievable performance.

How does the show work? Does she only get to perform again at the end? It seem pointless to me for them to continue the competition. They already have their winner.

Jennifer

« Reply #57 on: April 14, 2009, 10:42:11 AM »

BK, i have seen the film Sweet November. They updated it a few years ago with Charlize Theron. The update is one of my favorite movies.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #58 on: April 14, 2009, 10:49:47 AM »

DR JMK, it's cool that you did the doggie DNA thing.  I've always wanted to do that.      :)

Have you doubts about your pedigree?

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #59 on: April 14, 2009, 10:56:53 AM »

... it's quite dark, involving parricide, murder, spousal abuse and a Madoff ponzi scheme that bankrupts several impotant characters.

Why are the studs immune from the scheme?

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10   Go Up