Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: WHAT I MISS  (Read 18235 times)

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
Re: WHAT I MISS
« Reply #30 on: April 20, 2009, 08:00:04 AM »

And the word of the day is: CUNCTATION!

And The Song Of The Day Is:   T'MORRA',T'MORRA'

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #31 on: April 20, 2009, 08:01:09 AM »

AS IF BY WIZARDRY PAGE 2

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #32 on: April 20, 2009, 08:02:18 AM »

More box unpacking today.

AND CONGRATULATIONS ON YOUR MOVE

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #33 on: April 20, 2009, 08:03:43 AM »

Locally, there were kiddie shows in the afternoons on both local stations. One showed "The Little Rascals" while the other showed cartoons.

There was a Friday night horror show that ran for years. When it eventually went off the air, it was replaced by the station playing old serials like FLASH GORDON and CAPTAIN AMERICA. After those were played out, they used to program old black and white series. In a typical evening we'd have, say, BURNS AND ALLEN, OUR MISS BROOKS, and PRIVATE SECRETARY.

In the first instance, are you referring to WLOS' "Shock Theater"?  Many a Friday night I would be allowed to stay up to watch "Shock Theater" with the understanding that I'd still get up at my regular time and any nightmares I might have because of the movies I watched would be my personal responsibility.

WFBC had afternoon show called "Monty's Rascals" with host Monty Dupuy and his sidekick Mr. Doohickey, played by Stowe Hoyle.  Dupuy was the station's meteorologist and Hoyle was also a weather man.  This show gave me my "Little Rascals" fix during my teenage years.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #34 on: April 20, 2009, 08:05:46 AM »

Other shows I enjoyed as a kid:

Howdy Doody
The Pinky Lee Show
My Little Margie
I Married Joan
Burns and Allen
Ozzie and Harriet
Beulah
Amos and Andy
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

FJL

« Reply #35 on: April 20, 2009, 08:07:51 AM »

No-hassle move vibes to druxy

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #36 on: April 20, 2009, 08:14:38 AM »

KUKLA,FRAN AND OLLIE

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #37 on: April 20, 2009, 08:21:55 AM »

No, DR Ron, we didn't get WLOS when I was a kid (only later with a rotor antenna in the mid-60s). Our Shock Theater came on Channel 3 (WBTV). There was a semi-campy ghoul host for awhile, but I don't recall him lasting all that long. The station usually just ran the movies at 11:30. I was always planning to stay up to see them, but most of the time, I'd fall asleep before 11:30 arrived. Or if I made it, I'd fall asleep during the movie.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #38 on: April 20, 2009, 08:23:29 AM »

Oh, yes, AMOS AND ANDY. Long before political correctness, AMOS AND ANDY was a great favorite at our house.

Matt H.

« Reply #39 on: April 20, 2009, 08:24:04 AM »

I guess I need to head downstairs now to get cleaned up for lunch out with best friend John.

WBBL.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #40 on: April 20, 2009, 08:31:10 AM »

elmore, I see we both remember Ruth Lyons' 50-50 club!  Why was it called that anyway?  I remember she used to always have the manager of the Cincinnati Reds baseball team on and give him advice on how to run the club.

The Grand Ole Opry rip-off was also a WLW, Taft show...Midwestern Hayride with Bonnie Lou, sort of Dolly Parton without the boobs,  if memory serves.  Kenny Price was a local fixture on it who later appeared on Hee-Haw as a regular.

http://poguespages.blogspot.com

Ruth Lyons was very bossy; she gave advice to the weather man! I never knew why it was called the 50-50 club, perhaps because it was at noon?  Tickets were sold out years in advance; when my mother and her sisters were on the show, it's my memory that they waited 2-3 years before the tickets arrived.

Her band leader was a very gay man named Cliff Lash, and I used to hear bits of gossip about him in the 1970s. There was a gay weather man on one of the Dayton stations who got mugged cruising the levee and he wasn't waiting for the Robert E Lee. People I worked with in a dinner theatre outside Dayton called him the Weather Witch.

For the life of me I have no memory of Bob Shreve at all, or the Cool Ghoul.

This all reminds me of a local urban rumor story that very strongly made the rounds in Philly during the late 80s about then-local KWY weatherman Jerry Penacoli (the guy who is currently working on Extra.)  It was the same story that was attached to Richerd Gere, but in this case it was a gerbil.  Of course, everyone knew a nurse that was actually in the emergency room the night Jerry was brought in.  To KYW's credit, they rode out the storm with him and he stayed with them for quite a few years after the whole thing blew over.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #41 on: April 20, 2009, 08:32:29 AM »

I am swamped with Producers pre-production stuff.  Spent most of the weekend getting stuff input and recorded for the choreographer, who is very young and very anal.  ;)  Now I am making up the supplementary Keyboard I book, filling in measures here and there where she'll have to play as I manically switch synths and patches.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #42 on: April 20, 2009, 08:37:28 AM »

I am swamped with Producers pre-production stuff.  Spent most of the weekend getting stuff input and recorded for the choreographer, who is very young and very anal.  ;)  Now I am making up the supplementary Keyboard I book, filling in measures here and there where she'll have to play as I manically switch synths and patches.

A WANDERING MINSTRAL I
A THING OF SYNTHS AND PATCHES

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #43 on: April 20, 2009, 08:43:44 AM »

BK-

I suppose that you are not ready to reveal the Movie Score that you are working on.?????????

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #44 on: April 20, 2009, 08:48:24 AM »

MILLION DOLLAR MOVIE On Channel 9 WOR

WONDERAMA with BOB McALLISTER

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #45 on: April 20, 2009, 08:55:59 AM »

THE ERNIE KOVACS SHOW

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #46 on: April 20, 2009, 08:57:31 AM »

BK-

I suppose that you are not ready to reveal the Movie Score that you are working on.?????????

It occurred to me the other night that since BK has cracked the MGM/UA vaults, perhaps we're finally going to get UP THE DOWN STAIRCASE, something I've been pestering BK to try to release for years.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #47 on: April 20, 2009, 09:02:55 AM »

I was stood up. I waited at the French Roast from 10:55 to 11:35 and Mr Morgan didn't show. Either he forgot or i really screwed up the date, time and place.

And on the way back, I passed Debra Monk and Andrea Martin.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #48 on: April 20, 2009, 09:08:58 AM »

I was stood up. I waited at the French Roast from 10:55 to 11:35 and Mr Morgan didn't show. Either he forgot or i really screwed up the date, time and place.

And on the way back, I passed Debra Monk and Andrea Martin.

Did you forget to bring your book and a rose?

;)

*Or is it possible that Mr. Morgan wanted to meet at the French Roast down in Chelsea?
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #49 on: April 20, 2009, 09:16:36 AM »

Good Afternoon!

Oh!  It looks like the storms won't be moving until around 6:00 now.  Hmmm... -In fact, the sun has come back out, and the skies are blue.  Hmm...
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #50 on: April 20, 2009, 09:18:56 AM »

I've asked about Up The Down Staircase and they can't license it because they have no paperwork on it - too bad.  Not quite ready to reveal the soundtrack title, but will reveal the show title tomorrow.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #51 on: April 20, 2009, 09:19:54 AM »

I spoke to Jim just now and he totally forgot. We're now set for Wednesday at 10 am. i think I will email him tomorrow to remind him.

And now, a trip to the library.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #52 on: April 20, 2009, 09:21:19 AM »

Good morning, everyone.

Another hot day. I'm one who does not like the heat, but I must say that yesterday's heat here in LA was sooo much more bearable than East Coast humidity!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #53 on: April 20, 2009, 09:21:26 AM »

I'm up, it's pretty out, and I'd better jog before it gets to be 100 degrees.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #54 on: April 20, 2009, 09:23:17 AM »

I've asked about Up The Down Staircase and they can't license it because they have no paperwork on it - too bad.  Not quite ready to reveal the soundtrack title, but will reveal the show title tomorrow.

MGM/UA wouldn't have rights to "Up the Down Staircase", would they?  That's a Warner Brothers title.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #55 on: April 20, 2009, 09:23:54 AM »

The tv news gossip concerns that skank Madonna and her fall off the horse this weekend. How did she ever get it into the sling is my question?

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #56 on: April 20, 2009, 09:28:48 AM »

Druxy, I sympathize with your moving and unpacking. As for the broken lamp, isn't it great when the damage is to something you no longer wanted or needed? I hope that was the case here.

I, too, have been unpacking. I do have lots here now. Why so much? I really don't know how long it'll take me to find a place of my own and I felt I'd better be prepared.

Hope you're soon getting settled and more comfortable.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #57 on: April 20, 2009, 09:32:15 AM »

TOD:
I remember
SKY KING
THE LONE RANGER
SOUPY SALES
OUR MISS BROOKS
MY LITTLE MARGIE
OH SUSANAH!
LASSIE

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #58 on: April 20, 2009, 09:34:21 AM »

Movies watched over the weekend:

From TCM on my DVR:  Bombshell with Jean Harlow and Lee Tracy; The Star of Midnight with William Powell and Ginger Rogers.

On BD:  From Russia With Love and Goldfinger.  Both look stunning in Blu-ray.  Sound on the latter film was incredible.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #59 on: April 20, 2009, 09:36:15 AM »

Sometime in high school Bruce introduced me to TV wrestling and I became quite addicted to it. Now THAT was a favorite!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9   Go Up