Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: THE MERRY MONTH OF MAY  (Read 13262 times)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
Re: THE MERRY MONTH OF MAY
« Reply #90 on: May 01, 2009, 01:22:44 PM »

While I ate lunch, I watched last night's BONES. I loved the Muslim intern; he has an easy-going but ingratiating persona that meshes well with the rest of the crew.

The producers have said they think they'll continue with the round-robin set of interns and not settle on one. I think that's a real cop-out.

The episode was interesting. I didn't guess the murderer though I probably should have been more suspicious of this person.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #91 on: May 01, 2009, 01:22:57 PM »

Page Four Dance!!!

Matt H.

« Reply #92 on: May 01, 2009, 01:23:51 PM »

I had thought I might wait for the UPS afternoon delivery in the hopes that BRIDE WARS would arrive today. Glad I didn't since it didn't arrive!

Matt H.

« Reply #93 on: May 01, 2009, 01:27:07 PM »

Instead, I watched NOTORIOUS about the 1990s rapper Biggie Smalls aka NOROTIOUS B.I.G. As a biography, it's pretty cliched and muddled. Very choppy writing and acting from excellent (Angela Bassett) to amateurish.

I will say the concert scenes were well staged and shot, and many of the actors really look like the people they're playing.

But I thought the script was pretty terrible,  and with a poor script, the movie is going to sink no matter how talented the cast or director is.

Matt H.

« Reply #94 on: May 01, 2009, 01:27:58 PM »

I had about an hour left and got the rather copious bonus features watched. Lots of repetition in them from one to another, but glad to be done with this disc.

Matt H.

« Reply #95 on: May 01, 2009, 01:29:11 PM »

Tonight I'll work on the first X-MEN movie and the bonus features I haven't already seen. I hope to be able to watch GHOST WHISPERER before I turned off the equipment this evening. At least, that's my plan.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #96 on: May 01, 2009, 01:36:17 PM »

Swine flu prevention....what should Adults sign while they wash their hands?

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=103576804

This morning I read to sing Happy Birthday. 

Jane

« Reply #97 on: May 01, 2009, 01:37:23 PM »

Congratulations DR Druxy!

Jane

« Reply #98 on: May 01, 2009, 01:45:17 PM »

Last night we finally got around to watching THE MENTALIST.  After Patrick Jane explained how he concluded the victim worked at an arcade, instead of going there for fun, I looked at Keith & said "You have just been insulted BIG time!" ;D

Matt H.

« Reply #99 on: May 01, 2009, 01:50:14 PM »

I'm going to start writing now so I need to hop off-line. Then, it's back down to continue with my weekend Blu-ray marathon.

WBBL.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #100 on: May 01, 2009, 01:56:54 PM »

Last night we finally got around to watching THE MENTALIST.  After Patrick Jane explained how he concluded the victim worked at an arcade, instead of going there for fun, I looked at Keith & said "You have just been insulted BIG time!" ;D

How did you like LITTLE DORRIT?
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #101 on: May 01, 2009, 02:07:19 PM »

CHICAGO CHICAGO
THAT JOSEAN TOWN

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #102 on: May 01, 2009, 02:09:05 PM »

I am now "officially" a Texan.

Just registered by cars here and got my DL.

HI TEX !!!

Jane

« Reply #103 on: May 01, 2009, 02:30:41 PM »

While we enjoyed it very much we didn't love LITTLE DORRIT as you did.  I found the last episode a bit confusing, and after some online research found I wasn't the only one who was mistaken regarding Amy & Arthur's relationship (I just revised that not to give anything away).  The Frenchman with the think accent & hissing like voice rushed through those details too quickly.  What happened to Pet?

I can't find my copy of the novel or I would have sped-read it after the 2nd episode.  It has been so long since I read Little Dorrit I have little memory of the story.  If I had read as we watched it might have filled in a few details we found missing.

Ginny

« Reply #104 on: May 01, 2009, 02:35:23 PM »

Friday afternoon greetings from beautiful downtown Fort Wayne, IN!  My sister and I survived the Vera Bradley outlet sale, but just barely.  We stood in line outside the venue for an hour (fortunately the weather was beautiful), inside in the lobby for about 15 minutes, shopped for about an hour, and stood in line to check out for 1.5 hours.  We decided that, now that we've done it once, we never have to do it again.  I only have to feel about $90 worth of guilt.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #105 on: May 01, 2009, 02:37:21 PM »

Shocking news about Danny Gans.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #106 on: May 01, 2009, 02:37:30 PM »

Shocking that we are still on page four.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #107 on: May 01, 2009, 02:37:58 PM »

Back from USC, lunch at Langer's, and a trip to Costco for waters and Diet Coke and Fruity Snacks.

Ginny

« Reply #108 on: May 01, 2009, 02:39:45 PM »

BK - sorry to hear about the turmoil at LACC.  Having spent about 2/3 of my librarian career in and around academia, I can tell you that it's a very political arena, no matter the specific institution.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #109 on: May 01, 2009, 02:53:12 PM »

I enjoyed the first four episodes of "Little Dorrit" immensely, but like Jane, I thought the final episode was confusing. Primarily, it's because it was so rushed to get to its ending.

It's very confusing also that even though Miss Amy Dorrit was to inherit an "unexpected" fortune, she indicated it didn't matter to her.  Apparently, she didn't get it! ?? !   But then....all was well that ended.

I've not read the book, so it's possible Dickens just tied up all the loose ends in a quick installment and that's what they had to work with.

Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Jane

« Reply #110 on: May 01, 2009, 02:57:15 PM »

LOL Ron.  The more I thought about Amy not caring about money & how she enjoyed the simple life she grew up with, she really should have married John.

What did you think of Laura Linney's "dramatics".  Keith kept asking WHY she kept turning to the side. ;)

Jane

« Reply #111 on: May 01, 2009, 02:59:15 PM »

Pete Seeger will be celebrating his 90th birthday, and performing at the celebration!
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090501/ap_en_ot/us_music_pete_seeger_s90th

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #112 on: May 01, 2009, 03:01:08 PM »

LOL Ron.  The more I thought about Amy not caring about money & how she enjoyed the simple life she grew up with, she really should have married John.

What did you think of Laura Linney's "dramatics".  Keith kept asking WHY she kept turning to the side. ;)

I felt really sorry for John.  But....whatchagonnaDO?!?!?!

As for Linney, I wasn't paying attention to her. I was probably grabbing some last-minute snack or something while she was talking each week.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2009, 03:04:16 PM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #113 on: May 01, 2009, 03:15:29 PM »

I got some packages today, including a pretty fabulously fabulous original window card from the estate of David Klein, the window card's artist - for the original B'way production of The Music Man - amazingly beautiful and came with a Certificate that it's from the estate of the artist.  This was originally on eBay for a really expensive price.  It didn't sell, so they relisted with a pretty low starting bid for something of this vintage with this provenance.   I wrote them and asked what price it would take to shut down the auction and sell to me - they were cagey and wanted to see the auction through because they really thought they'd get a lot more than their opening bid.  In the end, I put my top bid in as a proxy and I won it for only $75 over the opening bid.  They could have done much better had they suggested a number to me and shut the auction down, as I was willing to go at least $150 higher.  My good, their bad, my window card.  Since it's one of the three B'way window cards I'd ever care to own, I'd say I got an amazing deal.  This same artist did The Most Happy Fella, too, and they were selling a one-sheet style, which was great, but which went for over $1200, and then a window card that just wasn't in great shape, but even that went for over $1000.  So, I got the bargain of bargains on this.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #114 on: May 01, 2009, 03:24:13 PM »

Okay, someone really REALLY needs to explain to me why we have fallen so low on postings over the last week.  I'm ready, willing, and able to listen, and I want a list of the no-shows so I can bitch-slap them from here to eternity and hell and back. 

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #115 on: May 01, 2009, 03:24:24 PM »

Meanwhile, gaze at THIS:

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #116 on: May 01, 2009, 03:24:57 PM »

And THIS:

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #117 on: May 01, 2009, 03:29:15 PM »

Am still at work, lusting in my heart over somebody's new window card (I have a perfectly fine reproduction of same, but it "ain't" the same, if ya knows what I means).

François

« Reply #118 on: May 01, 2009, 03:33:37 PM »

20 years ago, day for day, I was part of the opening crew (Cast member, in Disney lingo) for the Grand Opening of the Disney Studio theme park in Florida; more precisely, the Backstage Studio Tour whose entrance looked exactly like that (See picture)

http://land.allears.net/blogs/andreamckenna/mgm5a.jpg

In fact, it could almost be me on that picture near the sign on the right and with the red shirt. I think I know who that is but I can't remember the fellow's name!

20 years ago!

I thought you HAD to know! :D
« Last Edit: May 01, 2009, 03:36:54 PM by François »

td

• td
« Reply #119 on: May 01, 2009, 03:35:51 PM »

I am listening to "Naked Boys Singing."
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8   Go Up