Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: THE LAZIEST GUY IN TOWN  (Read 15828 times)

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
Re: THE LAZIEST GUY IN TOWN
« Reply #60 on: June 01, 2009, 10:15:18 AM »

Der B and I have had LOTS of romantic evenings.  I just don't care to discuss them, thank-you.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #61 on: June 01, 2009, 10:26:29 AM »

I am not interested in PIXAR films - the stories are all the same.....sometimes it's bugs, sometimes it's toys, sometimes it's penguins, sometimes it's robots.....but it's the same damn movie over and over.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #62 on: June 01, 2009, 10:27:12 AM »

I am optimistic about someday HAVING a romantic evening -

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #63 on: June 01, 2009, 10:45:12 AM »

Yes Facebook is VERY slow today.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #64 on: June 01, 2009, 11:07:48 AM »

Quiet day at HHW.....everyone must be outside enjoying the beautiful weather.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #65 on: June 01, 2009, 11:33:19 AM »

Message boards say that SOME Blu Ray players takes 5 minutes to load a disk....and does the software on players have to be updated regularly in order to play the latest disks?

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #66 on: June 01, 2009, 11:35:16 AM »

Message boards say that SOME Blu Ray players takes 5 minutes to load a disk....and does the software on players have to be updated regularly in order to play the latest disks?

Yes, and yes.  I have had three BD players thus far, and by far the best is the PS3.  Virtually instantaneous loads, and automatic firmware updates (if you have Wi-Fi).
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

DAW

« Reply #67 on: June 01, 2009, 11:35:24 AM »

We don't go out to see movies in theatres any more.  The last few attempts were ruined by rude, inconsiderate, obnoxious members of the public at large.  So we simply wait and view films we want to see at home.

The same could be said of live theatre, but in that instance there is no alternative or replacement for the electric connection between live performers and an audience.

Kerry

« Reply #68 on: June 01, 2009, 11:39:37 AM »

TOD:  I've had lots of romantic evenings, some great anniversaries and celebrations, and romantic lunches and strolls afterward.  I'm afraid they wouldn't tranlsate very well and would sound sappy or dull to anyone else. 
I like boat races.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #69 on: June 01, 2009, 11:46:21 AM »

Sounds very complicated, DR JMK.  Could I just put my Internet Connection into the slot on the back of the Player now and then....are we notified when updates are available? 

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #70 on: June 01, 2009, 12:02:21 PM »

First, Pixar has yet to make a film about penguins.

Happy Feet was made by Kennedy Miller Productions, same group that was behind Babe.

Surfs Up was by Sony Pictures Animation.

Madagascar (where a team of four penguins were supporting characters) was by DreamWorks Animation, the guys behind the Shrek films.

The closest Pixar has come in making a film including penguins was Wheezy, a single broken penguin squeeze toy in Toy Story 2.  The film was not about Wheezy.

Second, Pixar, for the most part, makes films about communities, and how individuals relate to the communities they live in.

This breaks from the Disney tradition, where the animated features tend to be about broken families trying to repair themselves.  (Broadly speaking, of course.)

Toy Story was about a community leader reacting (badly) when a charismatic outsider joins the community.

A Bug's Life was about three communities: a farming community terrorized by a criminal gang, rescued by a roving band who help the farmers learn self-reliance.  (Think The Magnificent Seven with additional legs and wings.)

Monsters, Inc. was about mid-level leaders of a community discovering and reacting to it's corrupt leadership.

Toy Story 2 - about loyalty, and the re-discovery of self-worth and heritage (it's villian rejecting same).

Finding Nemo - a father searches for his son, and in the process encounters several different communities and discovers how his own place in the world has value.

The Incredibles - about what happens to a family when the community it was a part of has been dispersed and destroyed.

Cars reverses the Toy Story tale, and focuses instead on the charismatic outsider learning to relate to his new-found community.

Ratatouille - again, the charismatic outsider, this time learning how to become a leader in a community of chefs.

Wall-E - hell, it's about an entire species that has lost it's way, and has to learn how to become a community in order to find it's way again.

These films are not identical.  They are telling variations on a theme, the theme of the individual's place within a community, but there has been a wide variety of stories to tell within that theme.

Up should be interesting, as it does not tell of a community (unless you count as it's focus a pack of dogs, which from everything I've read is not the story's focus).  As such, it makes for a departure for Pixar.

These, by the way, are not children's movies.  Their themes go beyond that of the simple "cartoon."  They are thus movies that anyone, from any age group, can enjoy, suitable for the entire family, and capable of engaging everyone within the family at their own level.

Too bad so many filmmakers have forgotten how to make such films.

There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #71 on: June 01, 2009, 12:07:34 PM »

We don't go out to see movies in theatres any more.  The last few attempts were ruined by rude, inconsiderate, obnoxious members of the public at large.  So we simply wait and view films we want to see at home....

The alternative der B and I have found is to go to weekday matinees - easier for us to schedule, since my weekends tend to fall on weekdays; cheaper (matinee prices, don't'cha know), and the denizens of Rehoboth tend to be more polite as a rule anyway.

I try to avoid taking der B's grandlads, since they can only go during regulation weekends, and the crowds do tend to be ruder when they are around.  Wait, that's just the older grandlad I'm referring to.  The crowds around us remain perfectly nice.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #72 on: June 01, 2009, 12:16:59 PM »

Like I said - it's all the same movie to me.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #73 on: June 01, 2009, 12:17:28 PM »

But I did forget that one was about rats.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #74 on: June 01, 2009, 12:17:36 PM »

DR George,

I got your PUSHING DAISIES recorded onto a DVD-R, and unless there are complications, I'll try to get it to the post office this afternoon.

:-*  :-*  :-*
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #75 on: June 01, 2009, 12:17:46 PM »

JRand, how many have you actually seen?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #76 on: June 01, 2009, 12:21:32 PM »

Back from the long jog and must now get ready for my work session - our leading lady is dropping by to pick up a DVD, music, and the demo.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #77 on: June 01, 2009, 12:22:22 PM »

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #78 on: June 01, 2009, 12:22:36 PM »

Of the ones on your list

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #79 on: June 01, 2009, 12:25:18 PM »

And to you they are all the same film.

Strange.  But that's horseracing.

George

« Reply #80 on: June 01, 2009, 12:25:55 PM »

On TV Tonight!™

BRAVO - MY LIFE ON THE D-LIST special (a retrospective of the show's run)

I didn't know about this...thanks for posting! ;D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #81 on: June 01, 2009, 12:27:18 PM »

Fascinating about why people aren't seeing Up, whereas lots of people here were first in line for other Pixar films.  It was the same with Wall*E.  I'm anxious for reports.  

I would LOVE to see "Up," but between rehearsals and helping with my sister's move, I have very little time. :P

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #82 on: June 01, 2009, 12:29:09 PM »

Der B and I are heading out for a bit.  Have fun, everyone.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #83 on: June 01, 2009, 12:33:47 PM »

Der B and I are heading out for a bit.  Have fun, everyone.

DR SWW - I was just pulling your chain....of course they're different movies....the technique wears on me....it ain't live action and it ain't a cartoon....it's some sort of weird computer game hybrid....that's what I don't like....the process....

Jennifer

« Reply #84 on: June 01, 2009, 12:41:31 PM »

I am looking forward to seeing tonight's season finale of MEDIUM.

I am also going to check out the NBC Show: I'M A CELEBRITY.

I was going to watch to see Spencer & Heidi from THE HILLS. But i just read that janice dickinson i going to be on. And Sanjaya from AMERICAN IDOL. Oy!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #85 on: June 01, 2009, 12:44:05 PM »

Leaving for rehearsal to get everything ready in the makeup area!  Scary!

Jennifer

« Reply #86 on: June 01, 2009, 12:46:19 PM »

Does anyone know when My Life on The D list starts again (so i can try to figure out when it will air here)?

I love this show!

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #87 on: June 01, 2009, 01:23:40 PM »

No, DR CP - Gary Cooper in DESIRE is only available on VHS or a Region Two DVD at the present.  I was most disappointed that it was not included in the Gary Cooper Box Set from a few years ago, or even the Marlene Dietrich BOX!

Something to look forward to.

I keep looking at the clearance SAMSUNG Blu RAY player for $198.....I may go tomorrow and get it if it is still there.....on line specs say that it will play DVD-R, but I am afraid......

I have a model 1500 Samsung Blu-ray player that plays DVD-Rs just fine.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #88 on: June 01, 2009, 01:24:36 PM »

I am not interested in PIXAR films - the stories are all the same.....sometimes it's bugs, sometimes it's toys, sometimes it's penguins, sometimes it's robots.....but it's the same damn movie over and over.

Boy, do we EVER disagree about that, but you certainly are entitled to your opinion.

Matt H.

« Reply #89 on: June 01, 2009, 01:27:44 PM »

Yes, and yes.  I have had three BD players thus far, and by far the best is the PS3.  Virtually instantaneous loads, and automatic firmware updates (if you have Wi-Fi).

I have two Blu-ray players, but I use the PS3 for all of my review Blu-rays. It has yet to have a single compatibility issue with any disc, and the number of adjustments which can be made in set-up are just astounding.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Up