Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: THE YAHOOS  (Read 11855 times)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
Re: THE YAHOOS
« Reply #30 on: June 03, 2009, 07:42:37 AM »

Yep, I was going to comment on Chekov not showing up on STAR TREK until season 2, but DR Michael Shayne beat me to it.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #31 on: June 03, 2009, 07:42:53 AM »

Page Two Dance!!!

Laura

« Reply #32 on: June 03, 2009, 07:43:33 AM »

... with highs in the upper 80s, so it's not going to be cool or pleasant.

We call that "spring."

Seriously, I do hope you rest better tonight.

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #33 on: June 03, 2009, 07:44:40 AM »

And the word of the day is: GRIG!

And The Song Of The Day Is: I'VE GOT NO STRINGS

Matt H.

« Reply #34 on: June 03, 2009, 07:45:17 AM »

Reading those Spencer Pratt quotes from I'M A CELEBRITY sounds just like the Spencer on THE HILLS. No difference. He is a first class jerk whose fifteen minutes of fame have gone completely to his head making him assume he's deserving of special treatment or that he's better than everyone else. For me, he is the most heinous kind of celebrity, famous for nothing except being famous. Gag!

Matt H.

« Reply #35 on: June 03, 2009, 07:47:14 AM »

We call that "spring."

Thanks, DR Laura. I will rest better tonight because I'm turning on the AC later this morning. It's just too uncomfortable and "close" not to have it. The South has such muggy hot weather. It's not a dry heat but a moist, debilitating kind of heat that just exhausts you without proper cooling.

Matt H.

« Reply #36 on: June 03, 2009, 07:49:20 AM »

I'll be finishing up the six remaining episodes of PERRY MASON today for my work project. That will take all afternoon and into the evening, but I should have some free time tonight before LAW & ORDER comes on.

Ben

« Reply #37 on: June 03, 2009, 07:51:07 AM »

I won't be at the HHW Tony party because I'm going to the Tonys on Sunday.

A friend has a ticket she can't use (medical issues) and she offered it to me. I figure this is one of the only times I'll be able to go, even if I'm sitting in the first mezzanine of Radio City Music Hall, so that's one thing I can check off my list of things to do before I die.

Perhaps later in life When Anthony will be is nominated, we can go together.

There, much better.

You dear man! Thanks for that :)

Matt H.

« Reply #38 on: June 03, 2009, 07:51:15 AM »

On TV Tonight!™

NBC - I'M A CELEBRITY, LAW & ORDER (season finale)
ABC - WIPEOUT, THE GOODE FAMILY, SURVIVING SUBURBIA, THE UNUSUALS
FOX - SO YOU THINK YOU CAN DANCE?

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #39 on: June 03, 2009, 07:54:00 AM »

DR Kerry posted yesterday:

I was moving some boxes in my laundry room yesterday and came across two pages from LIFE magazine (It could be LOOK, but  the layout looks more like LIFE).  It's a two page spread from 1961 on the effervescent starlets on TV that season:  Judy Lewis (Outlaw), Lori Patrick (Tales of Wells Fargo), Gigi Perreau (Follow the Sun), Roberta Shore (Bob Cummings Show), Cynthia Pepper (Margie), Joan Patrick (Dr. Kildare), Mary Tyler Moore (Dick Van Dyke), Joan Freeman (Bus Stop) and Karen Kupcinet
(Mrs. G Goes to College).

Karyn Kupcinet name is actually spelled Karyn Kupcinet. Two years later she was found murderd in her Hollywood apartment November 25, 1963. The reason why I remember her name is because for many. many years when Weekly Variety was a "real" b & w newspaper there was on page 2 or 3 (I think) there was a memorial ad with her picture and years of her life. At the time I used to read Variety there was no internet and I never knew who she was. Years later I found out.

Her murder was never solved.

At the time she was seeing actor Andrew Prine. He was questioned and released amoung many other people including two other actors.

"By 1962 Kupcinet was living in Hollywood, had a relationship with actor Andrew Prine, and was getting positive reviews for her acting. However, the relationship was problematic, Kupcinet was abusing diet pills along with other prescription drugs, and she had been arrested for shoplifting.

The problems with the relationship were mainly due to Prine's objections to making the relationship exclusive. After the actress underwent an illegal abortion in July 1963, the relationship cooled and Prine began dating other women. In turn, Kupcinet began spying on Prine and his new girlfriend.[1] It was later determined that Kupcinet had sent threatening and profane messages, consisting of words and letters she had cut out of magazines, to Prine and herself."
(From a 2004 article)

Prine's career suffered after this due to his association with the murder.  He just became notice playing Helen Keller's brother in the film version of The Miracle Worker. He mostly worked in TV after that and made few theatrical releases none (IMHO) that were the quality of The Miracle Worker

Karyn's Father was IRV KUPCINET.He was a Newspaper Columnist for The Chicago Sun Times and A Broadcast Personality affectionately known as "KUP"
« Last Edit: June 03, 2009, 07:55:31 AM by ArnoldMBrockman »

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #40 on: June 03, 2009, 08:07:01 AM »

After what I've read on-line this morning ("Tony Squeezes Out Drama"), I've decided that I will be boycotting the Tony broadcast this year. 
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #41 on: June 03, 2009, 08:10:51 AM »

Good Morning!

I'm up, I'm up... And I'm back from New Jersey.
Make Your Own Luck.

Laura

« Reply #42 on: June 03, 2009, 08:11:59 AM »

We call that "spring."

Thanks, DR Laura. I will rest better tonight because I'm turning on the AC later this morning. It's just too uncomfortable and "close" not to have it. The South has such muggy hot weather. It's not a dry heat but a moist, debilitating kind of heat that just exhausts you without proper cooling.

I know the humidity is difficult to endure. Here, June is HOT and dry. We get our summer storms in July and August, when the temp goes down a little, but it gets humid after a rain. I turned on the AC when it hit 95, and it will stay on until October.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #43 on: June 03, 2009, 08:12:29 AM »

DR Kerry posted yesterday:

I was moving some boxes in my laundry room yesterday and came across two pages from LIFE magazine (It could be LOOK, but  the layout looks more like LIFE).  It's a two page spread from 1961 on the effervescent starlets on TV that season:  Judy Lewis (Outlaw), Lori Patrick (Tales of Wells Fargo), Gigi Perreau (Follow the Sun), Roberta Shore (Bob Cummings Show), Cynthia Pepper (Margie), Joan Patrick (Dr. Kildare), Mary Tyler Moore (Dick Van Dyke), Joan Freeman (Bus Stop) and Karen Kupcinet
(Mrs. G Goes to College).

Karyn Kupcinet name is actually spelled Karyn Kupcinet. Two years later she was found murderd in her Hollywood apartment November 25, 1963. The reason why I remember her name is because for many. many years when Weekly Variety was a "real" b & w newspaper there was on page 2 or 3 (I think) there was a memorial ad with her picture and years of her life. At the time I used to read Variety there was no internet and I never knew who she was. Years later I found out.

Her murder was never solved.

At the time she was seeing actor Andrew Prine. He was questioned and released amoung many other people including two other actors.

"By 1962 Kupcinet was living in Hollywood, had a relationship with actor Andrew Prine, and was getting positive reviews for her acting. However, the relationship was problematic, Kupcinet was abusing diet pills along with other prescription drugs, and she had been arrested for shoplifting.

The problems with the relationship were mainly due to Prine's objections to making the relationship exclusive. After the actress underwent an illegal abortion in July 1963, the relationship cooled and Prine began dating other women. In turn, Kupcinet began spying on Prine and his new girlfriend.[1] It was later determined that Kupcinet had sent threatening and profane messages, consisting of words and letters she had cut out of magazines, to Prine and herself."
(From a 2004 article)

Prine's career suffered after this due to his association with the murder.  He just became notice playing Helen Keller's brother in the film version of The Miracle Worker. He mostly worked in TV after that and made few theatrical releases none (IMHO) that were the quality of The Miracle Worker.

I've mentioned this before, but Mr Prine married an "actress" from Oxford OH, who played Kim MacAfee in a Miami University summer theatre production of BYE BYE BIRDIE I worked on. She was a trampy been-there-done-it high school senior at the time.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2009, 10:48:57 AM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #44 on: June 03, 2009, 08:13:05 AM »

And today is my Mom's birthday, so...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, MOM!!!!
Make Your Own Luck.

Ben

« Reply #45 on: June 03, 2009, 08:14:38 AM »

After what I've read on-line this morning ("Tony Squeezes Out Drama"), I've decided that I will be boycotting the Tony broadcast this year. 

Yes, I find the trends in this year's Tony broadcast unpleasant as well.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #46 on: June 03, 2009, 08:16:27 AM »

ON THIS DAY IN THEATRE HISTORY:

The original production of Kander & Ebb's CHICAGO, directed by Bob Fosse, opened on this date in 1975 at the 46th Street Theatre.

I'm having trouble wrapping my brain around this one--I could swear that it opened earlier in the year.  My mind must be playing tricks on me because I recall picking up the cast album (along with that of A CHORUS LINE) about a week after school let out for summer vacation.

That works out right, Dan.  Back in the 1970s, things like cast albums did come out around the same time a show opened.  Ditto for film soundtracks.  In fact, some soundtracks hit the street before movies premiered.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #47 on: June 03, 2009, 08:19:09 AM »

DR Ben - Just remember, you only have to check your camera if you tell them you have a camera.  ;)

Have a great time at the Tony's on Sunday!  *And I'm guessing you'll be there for the non-broadcast portion where all the Creative Arts awards will be given out.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #48 on: June 03, 2009, 08:22:26 AM »

After I took the PATH train back to Penn Station, I decided to go ahead and walk up Broadway to Columbus Circle before hopping on the A or D train back uptown to my apartment.  Well...

Once I got up to Columbus Circle, I saw this:

Make Your Own Luck.

Ben

« Reply #49 on: June 03, 2009, 08:24:53 AM »

DR Ben - Just remember, you only have to check your camera if you tell them you have a camera.  ;)

Have a great time at the Tony's on Sunday!  *And I'm guessing you'll be there for the non-broadcast portion where all the Creative Arts awards will be given out.

Yes, I'll be there to watch all the "unimportant" awards. We have to be "in the building" by 6:15.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #50 on: June 03, 2009, 08:27:44 AM »

And this:

They really seemed to get into it: sound effects, "stunts", even some spitting.  They even did some moves where "The Force" was their weapon.  There were six of "them", and, at one point, they even lined up in formation and went through a series of moves.  From what I could tell, some of the one-on-one "fights" were based on particular fights from the "Star Wars" movies - complete with bits of dialog.

It was quite fascinating and entertaining, and by the time I finished watching them, it was about 2:00am... And by the time I got home... Sleep.
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

« Reply #51 on: June 03, 2009, 08:36:48 AM »

I'm looking forward to watching the "unimportant" Tony technical categories on-line as I did last year (for the first time).

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #52 on: June 03, 2009, 08:36:50 AM »

Good Morning!

Jose, did I miss your reason for going to New Jersey?
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Matt H.

« Reply #53 on: June 03, 2009, 08:37:53 AM »

Now I'm heading downstairs to check the mail, take a shower, turn on the AC, and then fix some lunch before settling in with my work for the day.

WBBL.

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #54 on: June 03, 2009, 08:40:01 AM »

Question???

I purchased a relatively new SONY BLU RAY DISC PLAYER(BDP S-350) Will I have trouble with playing any Blu Ray Discs from the past or the future ???

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #55 on: June 03, 2009, 08:54:16 AM »

Question???

I purchased a relatively new SONY BLU RAY DISC PLAYER(BDP S-350) Will I have trouble with playing any Blu Ray Discs from the past or the future ???

I'm not sure if that is the Sony model I had (maybe mine was the 300?), but if it is, you won't have any Profile 2 capabilities, so no BDLive, etc.   But maybe the 350 is a different model than the one I'm thinking of (I sold my Sony, so can't check).
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #56 on: June 03, 2009, 08:56:48 AM »

Good Morning!

Jose, did I miss your reason for going to New Jersey?

Possibly.

My new friend, Jerry - who I met on my return trip from Chicago - had a small gathering last night at his apartment, which he's still in the process of getting set up.  It was part house-warming party and part "Welcome Jerry To the East Coast/New Jersey" party.

Jerry is living in The Beacon in Jersey City.  The Beacon used to be a hospital, a BIG hospital, the New Jersey Medical Center, I believe. And the view from one of the rooftop decks, looks like this:

Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #57 on: June 03, 2009, 08:58:48 AM »

And, yes, that's the Empire State Building in the distance.

*And you can see the Statue of Liberty from the other side.
Make Your Own Luck.

Laura

« Reply #58 on: June 03, 2009, 09:02:10 AM »

TOD:

Dear BK,

What songs would you have suggested for Susan Boyle to sing (if she had asked for your input)?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #59 on: June 03, 2009, 09:03:42 AM »

ASK BK

You have commented that the soundtrack to Breakfast At Tiffany's really isn't a soundtrack recording. Do you know if the recordings still exist and would you consider releasing it?

Of course I'd put it out.  And the gates of Paramount are finally open in that regard, but we already know that there are problems because of the RCA album and their rights.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Up