Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Down

Author Topic: THE STRAIGHTFORWARD NOTES  (Read 37012 times)

Danise

Re:THE STRAIGHTFORWARD NOTES
« Reply #150 on: March 22, 2004, 06:01:09 PM »

Evening all.

It's turning chilly (again) here in the land of sunshine.  We're at 58 as I type this and it's going to be colder by morning.  

I'm worried about my garden.  Sigh. I just couldn't wait any longer to plant the seeds and my Michael Crawford Rose has a bloom on it already.  I thought spring had well and truely sprung.  

On a happy note, I received my Michael Ball tickets.  I guess that means I'm not dreaming and I am going.  It's only 53 days away but who is counting?   ;)

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]Good vibes and welcome home to Joe![/move]

At least its over.   Small comfort that considering.  

I never was a big Steisand fan.  I like some of her music but know next to nothing about her.  I fear that is the same with most singers/celebs.    I enjoy their work but I don't go past that.  Yes, even in the case of Mr. Ball and Mr. Crawford.  Except for knowing they come from England, I know very little about either man.   :)

DR RPL, I think we have all posted something in haste or even not in haste but without thinking it all out.  I do that on a regular basis.    Sometimes much to my sorrow and sometimes much to my own amusement (Did I say THAT?  What was I THINKING?  Was I thinking?).  :)

Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Michael

« Reply #151 on: March 22, 2004, 06:41:19 PM »

When I used to drive from Montreal down to Florida I would take the thousand island bridge over into northern NY state through Watertown and other cities through Pennsylvannia before reconnecting with i-95 south of Washington DC.Which brings me to the reason for this post. Just as we leave the cities limits of that Northern NY state city I would always play Rodgers and Hart's I Wanna Go Back and It would drive my father crazy with it because I had it on repeat play.
Never stop dreaming.

Robin

« Reply #152 on: March 22, 2004, 06:57:15 PM »

I am playing my Goldsmith Box Set - very handsome.

I really wanted to get that set, but there was too much of it that was reprising material from Film Score Monthly's Goldsmith CDs that I already had, which made its' hefty, hefty, hefty price tag all that much more unattractive for moi.   I suppose I'll regret that decision someday.  But not today.

I like FSM's CDs.  But their liner notes leave a lot to be desired.  

Like readability.
Mankind needs God...like fish need bicycles!

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #153 on: March 22, 2004, 07:18:22 PM »

Brando is a great actor if only for his amazing performance in ON THE WATERFRONT. If you add STREETCAR and THE GODFATHER you have a trifecta.
This is not considering other stellar performances one of which is the not ever mentioned tour-de-force in the movie THE MEN.

Robin

« Reply #154 on: March 22, 2004, 07:31:36 PM »

Brando should've played Dick Tracy.  He looks exactly like how Chester Gould drew him.  
Mankind needs God...like fish need bicycles!

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #155 on: March 22, 2004, 07:39:03 PM »

Maya, all cynics were once romantics or idealists.  Take it from a cynical, romantic idealist.

Elmore, I still get back to Cincinnati and Northern Kentucky whenever I can (Born in Cincy, but grew up on the Kentucky side of the river).  Yeah, I know the place can be square and conservative, but  roots, you know...It also has lots of lovely cultural perks...a terrific Art Museum, natural history museum, and I always like Cincinnati Playhouse in the Park.  

But, of course, what really draws me back is Cincinnati Chili...I get two loaded conies and a four-way (spaghetti, chili, cheese, and onions. No beans!) in the airport, the minute I get off the plane.

Kerry

« Reply #156 on: March 22, 2004, 07:49:13 PM »

Some of my favorite Rodgers and  Hart:

It Never Entered My Mind

Where or When (but the verse MUST be included)

Little Girl Blue

Isn't It Romantic?

My Romance

Zip!

Falling In Love With Love

My Heart Stood Still

Nobody's Heart Belongs To Me

This Funny World
I like boat races.

Kerry

« Reply #157 on: March 22, 2004, 08:13:40 PM »

Welcome Home, Joe!  I'm happy for both you and WFO that it's over.
I like boat races.

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #158 on: March 22, 2004, 08:24:53 PM »

Rafi Ferrer was a high school friend of mine.

Throughout the 90's I worked with Letty Ferrer, Uta Hagen's daughter, but she thought of Rosemary Clooney as a second mother.

After hearing Donald's radio show, I'm thinking of adding A Lady Must Live to the Rodgers & Hart favorites list.  I'm always singing BK's favorite whenever I'm near Sutton Place (which isn't often).

Very small turn-out for song improv tonight, which made it more exhausting for all.  I'm hoping more people will show up for the Sunday night one-time-only class in songwriting.  3 hours of entertaining enlightenment for $20.  Where could you do better?
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #159 on: March 22, 2004, 08:30:49 PM »

I didn't get around to watching DEADWOOD today, but unquestionably I will get around to it tomorrow.

As for THE SOPRANOS, last season and this season, the writers have been deliberately slow setting up the players for their season. I look for things to pick up steam in a week or two. Oh, they've already hooked me for sure, but an episode without Carmella is kind of unthinkable to me, and we just had one last night.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #160 on: March 22, 2004, 08:35:01 PM »

Kudos (or Luna Bars) to both DRs RLP and Lulu for keeping this discussion on an adult level.  This is so refreshing from what goes on at ratm.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Kerry

« Reply #161 on: March 22, 2004, 09:02:06 PM »

If I'm not mistaken since it was rather early this morning, I posted a picture which now seems to have vanished.  Is thre a reason for this?  I'd like to know, so I don't make the same mistake in the future.
I like boat races.

Laura II

« Reply #162 on: March 22, 2004, 09:16:36 PM »

Hi all, I just wanted to post this. I got this news from Sarah.

Tonight at around 9:00 or 10:00, Nick Shomaker, a 15-year-old boy in Sarah's grade (and my bro's) at her/their school, was shot and killed in his basement. Apparently he was with two other kids, and shots were fired, but they don't know who did it yet.

Any thoughts, prayers, and good vibes for the family, friends, classmates, and anyone else affected would be greatly appreciated. May God rest Nick's soul.
"I believe that my life's gonna see the love I give returned to me."

MBarnum

« Reply #163 on: March 22, 2004, 09:16:56 PM »

Just finished watching SILK STOCKINGS which I had taped off of TCM the other week...oh, I had forgotten how much I enjoyed that movie! As a grade schooler that was one of my favorite musicals and I watched it every time it aired on TV! Cyd Charisse is such a joy to watch dance and Janis Paige's two big numbers are some of my all time favorites in movie musical history!

Maybe I should buy the DVD!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #164 on: March 22, 2004, 09:23:02 PM »

I have to put in my two cents worth on the Streisand bashing today....What I don't understand is the animosity - verging on contempt -  towards this woman....
Dear DR Panni: it's because those who cannot stand Streisand are all closet Republicans!

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

(As Bugs Bunny would say, "Ain't I a stinker!")
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

td

• td
« Reply #165 on: March 22, 2004, 09:25:46 PM »

Dear Readers Laura II and Swishy. . . . .

:'(

I can only offer up the best of vibes to you in this time of grief.
Too, too young.  Too, too sad.
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

MBarnum

« Reply #166 on: March 22, 2004, 09:48:34 PM »

that is very sad Laura. And it was just not too long ago that Sarah's young neighbor was killed. Very, very sad.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #167 on: March 22, 2004, 09:58:16 PM »

I honestly don't know how to react to Laura's news.  I'm just stunned.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #168 on: March 22, 2004, 09:58:48 PM »

Condolences to Swishy and YoungLaura. The death of a classmate is so very difficult. You are all in my prayers.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #169 on: March 22, 2004, 10:04:58 PM »

Re today's topics:

This will come as a great surprise to you all -- I have seen two Marlon Brando movies: Superman and Guys and Dolls.

I steam vegetables in the microwave. I rinse the veggies and cover the bowl with plastic wrap and microwave for a minute or so.

Not a fan of Barbra Streisand. I have no clue who the interviewer is.

I haven't heard enough Rodgers and Hart songs to pick a favorite. But Johnny One-Note is a lot of fun when Judy Kaye sings it.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #170 on: March 22, 2004, 10:23:45 PM »

I remember being in school in the late 50s and early 60s (graduated in 1966).  The worst thing that happened to one of my classmates is that he died of a ruptured appendix.

And at another school, a football player never recovered from a tackle during a game.

Those seemed like senseless tragedies at the time.  Plus we had the assassinations of Kennedy, King and Kennedy.

Today, things like Nick's death are all too common.  And always with guns.

Either accidental or gang-related or killing spree.  There is nothing truly innocent in the world any more.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Lulu

• "Big hair makes the rest of me look smaller!"
« Reply #171 on: March 22, 2004, 11:06:32 PM »

Arrggggggghhhh...I hate insomnia.

Dear Reader RLP: I didn't look up the original remarks because I took your word that you hadn't meant them the way I had interpreted them.  You are cool, man...cool.  :)

Sarah and Laura II:  Good thoughts headed out to both of you and your vicinity in general.

Jrand:  I didn't have a clue what Midwestern Hayride was when I read your post. :)  Now I see.  Being an Indy girl, my TV memories are of Cowboy Bob and Janie, Timothy Churchmouse and Sammy Terry.  Although yes, I DO remember Bob Braun.  

Charles Pogue: Would you believe Skyline Chili is now in South Florida??  Perhaps they'll work their way out to California eventually.  I lived very briefly in Cinti (at age 20) and quickly grew fond of Skyline.  I, too, preferred the Four Way.

Tonight we watched Alfred Hitchcock's Family Plot (1976 - his final film).  I surprised myself by really liking it.  In fact, I prefer it to The Trouble with Harry (1955), another black comedy, which I found rather flat and inert...yet I'm pretty sure Harry is considered by film scholars to be the superior film.  Go figure.

NOW: Becca in "Rabbit Hole."

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #172 on: March 22, 2004, 11:14:29 PM »

Kerry: I pulled the post with the photo because it turned that page into widescreen.  You'd have to size it down and post it again.  It was a great photo.

When I hear news like Laura's I just realize how screwed up the world we live in is.

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #173 on: March 22, 2004, 11:20:54 PM »

Re today's topics:

This will come as a great surprise to you all -- I have seen two Marlon Brando movies: Superman and Guys and Dolls.

Dear Reader Laura--

You should make sure we are all seated when you makes comments like that.  Imagine:  50% of all the films you have ever seen featured Marlon Brando.

;)

P.S.  You simply must see The Godfather (which features Mr. Brando) and The Godfather Part II (which does not.)
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #174 on: March 22, 2004, 11:52:46 PM »

I steam vegetables in the microwave. I rinse the veggies and cover the bowl with plastic wrap and microwave for a minute or so.
Yes, most people forget that the microwave is great for steaming veggies.  I find it much easier than on the stovetop, because I can control the amount of time I am steaming.  I usually forget how quickly steam can cook things, and on the stove turn things to a disgusting mush.

Carrots, on the other hand, I do prefer to cook on the stovetop these days.  Sliced into rounds, with some broth, some honey, and red pepper flakes, and let to simmer until the liquid becomes a glaze, makes for a very appetizing side dish.  Or, instead of the pepper, a sprig of rosemary, bruised and removed at the end of cooking.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #175 on: March 22, 2004, 11:53:20 PM »

News like Laura II's just leaves me speechless. What a world we live in! My thoughts go out to the boy's family and friends.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Up