Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: SHUFFLE/BALL/CHANGE  (Read 38622 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
SHUFFLE/BALL/CHANGE
« on: March 24, 2004, 12:00:54 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, you've danced around the notes, you've made the notes your own, and now it's time to post until the cows come home.  To it, I say.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2004, 12:02:15 AM by bk »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:SHUFFLE/BALL/CHANGE
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2004, 12:04:04 AM »

And a very happy birthday to Angela.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2004, 12:29:17 AM »

All right, I've got a question.

What the dingiddy-dang does "Shuffle/Ball/Change" refer to?  Yes, I've read the notes, and I even tried looking it up on-line, but this time, BK, you've got me stumped!
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2004, 12:35:27 AM »

Stop The Presses!  STOP THE PRESSES!!!!!
[size=20]Danise is now a Goddess!!!!![/size]
[move=up,scroll,6,transparent,100%]
[size=10]Welcome to Godhood, Danise!!![/size]
[/move]
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Tomovoz

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2004, 12:42:35 AM »

Congratulations Danise. For a celebration why don't you go and see Michael Ball in concert.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2004, 02:15:12 AM »

Welcome to the Newest HHW Goddess Danise!!

And speaking of Michael Ball,

I was reshuffling my bookmarks not too long ago and found that I had bookmarked his website[/i] a long time ago.  Just thought I'd share!  (I hope the picture's not too big.)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Michael

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2004, 04:22:43 AM »

Some questions about Anastais Affaire originally released on Bay Cities.

1) What were your memories about recording The Annastsia Affaire?
2) Why were only two pianos used?
3) What do you think of Wright and Forrrest as "original" composer versus their "based on themes" works?
4) In the photo below: Is Albin Knopka (One of the pianist and the musical director) the gentleman of the far left or far right? And who is the other person.

Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2004, 04:33:27 AM »

All right, I've got a question.

What the dingiddy-dang does "Shuffle/Ball/Change" refer to?  Yes, I've read the notes, and I even tried looking it up on-line, but this time, BK, you've got me stumped!

It is a choreography term. It references to tap dancing. Basically a time step

Go here for some more explainations

http://www.tappies.com/video_index.html
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2004, 04:34:49 AM »

and of course to ANGELA

Never stop dreaming.

Ben

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2004, 04:41:27 AM »

Happy Birthday Angela.

And now I will Shuffle Off to Buffalo (a 42nd Street Reference, a tap dance reference, an upstate NY reference, take your pick)

William E. Lurie

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2004, 06:18:25 AM »

Is a shuffle-ball-change anything like a pahdaybooray?

For Ask BK---
You had once stated (I think these were the figures) that BENJAMIN KRITZER was about 75% autobiographical and 25% fiction and that KRITZERLAND was 90% autobiographical and 10% fiction.  What are the figures for KRITZER TIME?

For Ask DRs (or BK)---
Most television shows today (and many movies) have a multitude of producer credits - Producer, Executive Producer, Co-Producer, Line Producer, Associate Producer et. al.  Are there specific meanings for each type of producer or are these credits negotiated along with the contracts and have different meanings on each show or what?  Why are so many producers needed in the first place and what does each of them do?
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2004, 07:29:16 AM »

MY BK question:  Who did the taps on Guy Haines' recroding of BE A SANTA and how were they done?

American Idol:  Simon just doesn't get country and never has.  Who should go...Carmen who should have been in the bottom three the last time or poor John, the red-head.  As much as I've rooted for him...he just isn't coming through and he has the personality of a dead fish.  Even when he's asked a question by Seacrest...he pauses interminably for an answer and comes up with something dull and bland.  His performance last night would be nice if he were in a high school variety show.  I think he still may have another week or two before he goes though, because he seems to have a following and Simon has been inordinately kind to him.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2004, 07:51:01 AM »

Charles, I think you mean Camile rather than Carmen. There is no Carmen in the competition this year (and last year's Carmen lasted FAR longer than she should have, just like this year's model, but her name is Camile).

This whole slam against the performers singing "safe" songs doesn't really have any validity. If you've ever stood in front of a live audience with three judges in front of you ready to tear you to shreds, cameras encircling you with lights going on and off and knowing that 25-30 million people are watching behind the lenses of those cameras and then tried to sing a ballad in soft tones which betray every ounce of nerves and where a crack in the voice would be more easily heard, there's nothing SAFE about that.

And frankly, I don't want the performers eating the audience with every performance. SOmetimes, quiet, controlled, honest singing is preferable and definitely a varient from the usual hysterical vocals so many singers do.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Jennifer

« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2004, 07:58:33 AM »

RE: Last night's American Idol

I actually enjoyed the performances more than the rest of you here seemed to like them.

I was very surprised that Jasmine, who everyone said was best last week, did not do well (the judges really turned on her).

I think the bottom three will be Matt, Camille and Jennifer.  And I really don't care who goes between Matt and Camille (I do really like Jennifer Hudson though).

As for what Fantasia said when Simon criticized her, I get what Matt was saying.  I also like to see contestants act maturely and accept criticism.  But in this case, I wasn't bothered by what Fantasia did.  I agree, she should have just accepted what Simon said.  But I thought she was just being funny (since as she walked off, Simon said he loved her, and she said she loved him back).  Although she did seem upset after.

Most of these songs did not sound country at all to me.  But I guess the rules are simply that the song must be country, not that the singers have to sing it that way.

I thought Fantasia was very good, as was Diana (who is a little bit too young and cute for me).

I still love JPL. But he wasn't great last night.

I also love, love, love John S.  I can't help it, I love the way his voice sounds.  And I truly hope his large fan-base will give him time to mature in this competition.

LaToya is very good, but I didn't like the song she chose or how she sang it.

Matt H.

« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2004, 07:58:43 AM »

BTW, shuffle/ball change is a tap dancing term, but it's not a time step. That's a somewhat different animal. (From someone with over 12 years of tap class experience).

For Ask BK Day: I'd like some thoughts about working with actor/singer Michael Rupert. I saw him first in THE HAPPY TIME and thought he was just wonderful, so sincere and winning with a wonderful voice, and I couldn't have been happier when he won that Tony for SWEET CHARITY. His surprise and genuine delight was exhilarating. I only wish I had seen him in PIPPIN. I'm sure he sang those terrific songs much better than original lead John Rubenstein or TV lead William Katt. And I missed him in CITY OF ANGELS since I saw the original cast. He's been on some of your CDs, and I'd just like some thoughts about working with him.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2004, 08:00:34 AM »

Some questions about Anastais Affaire originally released on Bay Cities.

1) What were your memories about recording The Annastsia Affaire?
2) Why were only two pianos used?
3) What do you think of Wright and Forrrest as "original" composer versus their "based on themes" works?
4) In the photo below: Is Albin Knopka (One of the pianist and the musical director) the gentleman of the far left or far right? And who is the other person.

It was a LONG time ago, back in 1991 or 92.  It was the first original show recording I produced.  It was fun - difficult, but fun, and even then I was ornery when the sound wasn't to my liking and the engineer (whoever it was) and I had many words about it (it was a "live" to two track recording, which I could not remix).  I learned from that experience, and when I did my other two-piano show recordings the pianos became a character, which they're not on The Anastasia Affaire.

Two pianos were used because it made the recording financially possible, and they wanted this chamber version to be able to be performed by amateur and stock companies.

I prefer Wright and Forrest's original music to their pastiche scores.  They've written some very nice things, and they were wonderful gentlemen.

Mr. Knopka is on the far left.  On the far right is our very own Mr. Nick Redman.  Somewhere nearby is the other pianist, the zany Mr. Seth Rudetsky.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2004, 08:30:07 AM by bk »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2004, 08:05:02 AM »

Mr. Pogue: The tapping on 99% of the CDs I produced that have tapping is done by the great Niki Harris.  Niki works with the musical director and me when we're arranging (routining) the song, and she has input into the dance music.  She then "choreographs" the number for the ear.  We record the track (and even the vocals sometimes), she comes in and she lays down the taps as an overdub.  She taps on a plank of wood called a tap board.  If she's tapping for two people (as she is on Be a Santa), she taps in character for each on a separate track.  If she's tapping for an entire chorus, we usually do four or five tracks of her.  In the mix, we pan the taps to make sure each "person" is in their own space.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2004, 08:30:52 AM by bk »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2004, 08:11:51 AM »

I just posted about producers and got that disgusting "website not responding" thing, which is an AOL glitch and has nothing to do with this website.  But, you lose the post.

Executive Producers and Associate Producers are usually negotiated credits and are fairly meaningless.  The producer usually is the one who's been there from the start of the project and who oversees everything.  The line producer is the one who tends to budgetary matters and makes sure the film tries to stick to its budget and schedule.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2004, 08:14:24 AM »

Michael Rupert is a great guy and we've always had a good time working together.  He can really deliver whatever you ask of him.  I, too, saw him in The Happy Time and enjoyed him, and he was an excellent Pippin.  My only complaint about Michael was his inability to focus on doing a solo album.  We talked about it many times, he agreed many times, but he just couldn't focus.  Someone else (another producer) e-mailed me and said HE was going to do a solo album with Michael.  I rolled my eyes and said, "Good luck."  Needless to say, the album doesn't exist.

Jennifer

« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2004, 08:17:21 AM »

BK, you can modify your post.  Just make sure the /quote thingie is at the end of the quote (before you start typing).  You probably just started typing inside the /quote (is this making sense? :))

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2004, 08:25:44 AM »

Good morning.

WEL - It could take all day to answer the producer question, so I'll start and continue later, or someone else might continue.

Many producer credits are negotiated and pretty meaningless. Others, like Line Producer, actually have a daily job. A real producer does everything from developing the script with the writer to casting to approving locations, etc. Other producer credits are just titles to pay off certain things - like bringing the attention of a production company to a book. Oh, this could go on for months...
Let's talk about me - since I'm an expert on the subject - If I'm hired to write a script once it's already in place at a network or studio, it's unlikely I'd get a producer's credit. But if I go in and pitch it and help set it up, then, yes, I'd get producer as well as writer credit. Or - if they're dying to have me, but the writing money is low, I might say to my agent, "I'll do it if i get a producer's credit." That way I get the credit and perhaps some extra money that comes out of another pocket.
...I just realized that I'm hungry and want to eat my breakfast, so this will have to continue later. There is, BTW, now a cap on the number of producers' credits because it was getting ridiculous.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2004, 08:27:52 AM »

Very good recapitulation of my post.   ;D 8) ::)

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2004, 08:28:04 AM »

BK's answer about the various producer credits doesn't really apply to network prime time dramas and sitcoms.

Most of the people receiving credit for being producers are actually writers.  A sitcom will employ about a dozen writers, all of whom punch up the script sitting around a table.  In the credits, these folks might be called Story Editor, Executive Story Editor, Producer, Associate Producer or even Executive Producer.  Most of these terms are meaningless, and credits are sometimes given in lieu of raises (or along with raises).

Then, there's sometimes a hierarchy.  A "punch-up" writer may just be there on rewrite night.  At higher levels, writers are sometimes involved in the casting process, or sit in the editing room.  And there is someone in charge: the show-runner.  He runs the show.  He decides when the script is so funny it no longer needs punching up.

That's a delicate question.  I've heard of show-runners who regularly kept the entire staff around the table punching up a script until 5 in the morning.  Others quit promptly at 6pm.  You'd think the number of hours around the table would have something to do with the quality of the final output, but it seems not to.  The "all-nighters" were pulled by the staff of Newsradio, which wasn't as funny as Frasier, which rarely had to order in dinner.

The show-runner usually gets the credit of Executive Producer, but then, so do the creators of the show, who may be different people.  The creators don't even have to be on staff, they still get their credits.  And, increasingly in recent years, stars of the show have gotten producing credits . . . not sure whether this means they did any extra work or whether the show used the credit to massage their egos.

When I was a little boy, my father was a producer.  And I'm still not sure what he did.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2004, 08:31:50 AM by Noel »
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

Matt H.

« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2004, 08:30:40 AM »

No, that same quote thing has happened to me, too; exactly the same thing that happened to bk and I'm sure both he and I know how to do the quote thing. I went back and double checked when it happened to me, and I saw no reason it wouldn't work. It just didn't.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #24 on: March 24, 2004, 08:32:51 AM »

MattH, I fixed it.  What happened was that I began typing after Michael's question - but before I did that I deleted his jpeg attachment link so it wouldn't appear in the quote.  However, it placed the very end close quote thing at the end of MY text rather than at the end of his.  I moved it back to the end of his and saved and that worked.

Panni

« Reply #25 on: March 24, 2004, 08:34:36 AM »

...And I now see bk already answered some of this, so I'm repeating what he said. But we all know repetition is funny - so laugh away.

Panni

« Reply #26 on: March 24, 2004, 08:37:10 AM »

Oh...And I now see that bk commented on my recapitulation. This is like a mirror within a mirror within a mirror...
And I still haven't had breakfast!

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #27 on: March 24, 2004, 08:38:38 AM »

Ask BK: If you were doing The Country's in the Very Best of Hands in a cabaret show next month, with a large group of young adults, would you need to change a single word of the Johnny Mercer lyric?
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

Panni

« Reply #28 on: March 24, 2004, 08:47:10 AM »

Noel, even what you outlined is not writ in stone. I co-created a sitcom that ran for 7 years, and I left it after the first year. (Didn't like where it was going.) But for six years after that, I'd see my name right up there any Wednesday night (I actually don't remember the night) that I'd care to tune in. And I couldn't have told you anything about the show if my life depended on it.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #29 on: March 24, 2004, 08:47:43 AM »

Matt...Camille/Carmen...you see how much I'm invested in her survival in this competition...I'm still pondering how and why she's there at all...She and red-head John both have a bad case of nerves that translates to their wavering voices.  Unlike John, she is usually out-of-tune or off-pitch. Poor John, alas, as much as I want him to succeed, I don't think is every really going to blossom.  As Simon said, he desperately needs to find his personality in this competition.  Unfortunately, I think we're seeing his personality.  Major Bland.

I actually thought...Amy?...the one with the punk red hair was the best country performer last night.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up