Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: SHUFFLE/BALL/CHANGE  (Read 38616 times)

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
Re:SHUFFLE/BALL/CHANGE
« Reply #60 on: March 24, 2004, 11:31:32 AM »

Maya: Yes, start on Kritzer Time.  By the time of LIBIII I had no problem calling composers or publishers about cut songs.  Everyone had loved the first two volumes, so doors were pretty much open.  Selecting was easy: I had to like the song, or, had to find it at least historically interesting.  For example, the cut song Waiting from The King and I is fairly awful, but very interesting historically, so I included it.  But some of these cut songs, as I've said many times, were/are as good or better as what ended up in the actual scores.

And you never mentioned those endless pages of cut songs I faxed you from every resource book I could lay hands on!

WEEPERS:

E.T.  still
THE DEAD (thank you, DR Panni, for that one, a great movie!)
A ROOM WITH A VIEW (that last shot in Florence)
TIME AFTER TIME (when Mary Steenburgen climbs in the time machine)

When I was 12 and saw the film CAROUSEL for the first time, I sobbed so loudly my brother changed seats.  Now I weep because I think the film's such a bad adaptation of a great show.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #61 on: March 24, 2004, 11:46:02 AM »

I still have all the rejects.  Especially bad were all the cut songs from Molly Brown - shocking really.  

Just had a lovely e-mail from someone via classmates, a Hamilton alumni who just read Kritzer Time.  He said it was like reliving his life.  

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #62 on: March 24, 2004, 11:49:05 AM »

Danise, our newest Goddess, WELCOME.

Happy Birthday Angela.

I cry very easily at movies so I can’t think of a particular movie that affects me since most do.  MBarnum named two excellent choices, THE GHOST AND MRS. MUIR AND PENNY SERENADE.

RPL also named a real tear jerker, OLD YELLER, except I do not watch those sad animal movies, or I turn them off way before the ending.  Reading OLD YELLER in my 7th grade history class cured me of ever reading during classes again.  I was reading the end of OLD YELLER when I, of course, began crying.  Fortunately I was sitting in the back of the class & the only person to notice was my friend sitting in front of me.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #63 on: March 24, 2004, 11:49:45 AM »

Bring out the Kleenex:

Magnificent Obsession
Limelight
An Affair to Remember
Philadelphia
Madame X
Goodbye Mr. Chips (Peter O'Toole)
Umbrellas of Cherbourg
Longtime Companion (thanks for the reminder, TCB)
« Last Edit: March 24, 2004, 01:44:40 PM by Dan-in-Toronto »

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #64 on: March 24, 2004, 11:55:01 AM »

A variation on the earlier ask-BK (and others) question:

Songs that should have been cut, but were not. Here are four that come to mind - two from hits, two from flops:

Now I Have Everything (Fiddler on the Roof)
Why Should I Wake Up? (Cabaret)
To Be Artistic (Henry Sweet Henry)
Suzy Is a Good Thing (Pipe Dream)

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #65 on: March 24, 2004, 11:56:28 AM »

I've never really been one to cry at movies.  I certainly can be manipulated into tearing up, but rarely going over the edge into "crying."  Actually, one of the very few shows that had me shed tears was the made-for-TV "Andre's Mother."  Richard Thomas was the lover of Sada Thompson's recently deceased son.  It was written by Terrence McNally and it was wonderful and sad and very uplifting.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2004, 11:58:43 AM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Jennifer

« Reply #66 on: March 24, 2004, 12:08:41 PM »

Do you guys find that you tend not to cry if anyone else can see you?

I am emotional and can burst into tears watching anything.  But never if anyone else can see me.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #67 on: March 24, 2004, 12:11:26 PM »

Nothing to be sorry about, TCB. Just shows what clever people we both are.

Just noticed I spelled "Cary" with two R's. Eeeeek. Forgive me, Mr. Grant. :P I hope DR Stuart removes the offending typo in his post with my quote in it. I've already modified the original.

« Last Edit: March 24, 2004, 12:12:56 PM by Panni »

Panni

« Reply #68 on: March 24, 2004, 12:16:51 PM »

WELCOME TO THE CLOUDS, DR DANISE!

Maya

• I've always wanted to see the lights of Broadway..
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #69 on: March 24, 2004, 12:37:33 PM »

Maya: Yes, start on Kritzer Time.  By the time of LIBIII I had no problem calling composers or publishers about cut songs.  Everyone had loved the first two volumes, so doors were pretty much open.  Selecting was easy: I had to like the song, or, had to find it at least historically interesting.  For example, the cut song Waiting from The King and I is fairly awful, but very interesting historically, so I included it.  But some of these cut songs, as I've said many times, were/are as good or better as what ended up in the actual scores.

I just read the first 60 pages or so of "Kritzer Time," and as I had anticipated, so far it's every bit as good as the first two!  I know I laughed out loud on numerous occassions.  

I agree about the cut songs in some cases being as good as the songs that stayed in the show.  I think "Travelin' Light" and "Pink Taffeta Sample Size 10" are my favorites of the songs from LIB III, just because they're both fine pieces and because they establish character so beautifully.  I really like "Mama's Talking Soft" too, but I had already heard that before, and I like "If Momma Got Married" even more.  

I didn't think any of the songs were really bad, but of them all, I think I can see why "You Don't Have to Kiss Me Goodnight," got cut from the Music Man, hehe.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2004, 12:39:07 PM by Maya »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #70 on: March 24, 2004, 12:42:03 PM »

I really love Pink Tafetta Sample Size 10, especially as sung by Lynne Wintersteller.  I'm sure it didn't work in Sweet Charity, but it's a great, great song.

Funnily, I really like both Now I Have Everything and Why Should I Wake Up.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #71 on: March 24, 2004, 12:48:55 PM »

Quote from: bk link=board=4;threadid=219;start=msg34551#msg34551
Funnily, I really like both Now I Have Everything and Why Should I Wake Up.
[quote

Et moi, aussi!  Why does DR Dan think they should be cut?  

Some of those songs are cut because they were early tries while the writers were  still finding their way into a show and its characters, sometimes it's because the singer can't carry it off, sometimes the audience doesn't care.  Dear friend BK, what other reasons can you think of?
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #72 on: March 24, 2004, 12:50:53 PM »

I've also been always been a big fan of "Now I Have Everything" and "Why Should I Wake Up."

If I ever got to "You-can-cut-shows-the-way-you-want" heaven, the first thing to go would be "Motherhood" in DOLLY.  I adore most of Mr. Herman's compositions, but to this I say "UUuuuugggchhhh"

And DR Panni, when I figure out how to edit posts, I will certainly take care of that grievous error.  (I wasn't going to say anything.......)   ;)

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #73 on: March 24, 2004, 12:52:19 PM »

And might I say, I wonder how the late great Bert Convy would feel about all of us even THINKING about cutting his big numbers in his two biggest hits.....

Jennifer

« Reply #74 on: March 24, 2004, 12:54:47 PM »

On your own posts you will see a "modify" button.  Hit it and you can make any changes you want to your post.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #75 on: March 24, 2004, 12:56:38 PM »

Motherhood was not written by Mr. Herman.

The reasons elmoore states are the most frequent reasons for songs being cut and/or replaced.  They don't suit the moment, or illuminate the character enough, or a character is cut from the show (10% from Chicago), or the show is too long, or a number is too much like another or is redundant.

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #76 on: March 24, 2004, 01:02:38 PM »

Thank you, DR Jennifer.

All taken care of, DR Panni.

And I knew that "Elegance" was not written by Mr. Herman.  But I didn't realize that "Motherhood" wasn't either.  More reason for it to be excised!

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #77 on: March 24, 2004, 01:07:14 PM »

I love many of the hankie films already mentioned including especially IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE, TERMS OF ENDEARMENT, IMITATION OF LIFE. I'll add one of my favorite classic tearjerkers:

DARK VICTORY
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #78 on: March 24, 2004, 01:11:39 PM »

I have no problem crying in front of others. If something is good enough to earn my tears, more power to the creators.

I was a soppy mess at the end of LORD OF THE RING: THE RETURN OF THE KING, and I couldn't leave my seat for several minutes after the end of LONGTIME COMPANION because I was so moved.

William E. Lurie

« Reply #79 on: March 24, 2004, 01:14:10 PM »

"Pink Taffeta Sample Size 10" was cut because Miss Verdon did not want to sing another solo.  If fact, once a show was open (at least in REDHEAD & SWEET CHARITY) she often cut a couple of songs at some performances depending on her mood.  The late Claudia Cassidy --- probably the best Chicago drama & dance critic ever --- suggested that whenever Miss Verdon cut a song in the National tour of REDHEAD that she played in Chicago, audience members should request a refund of 3% of the ticket price per song, as each song represented about 3% of the show's running time.
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #80 on: March 24, 2004, 01:18:24 PM »

Movies that make me cry?  Wow, I have got to be  careful or I could have a very long list.  Hell, Anacin commercials used to make me cry.  Let’s see:

Madame X
E.T. (sorry DR Charles Pogue)
Camelot
An Affair to Remember
The Way We Were
Something for Joey
Brian’s Song
An Early Frost
Longtime Companion
Carousel
Breakfast at Tiffany’s
Where the Red Fern Grows
Dumbo
Bambi
Random Harvest
A Night to Remember
Titanic (1953)
Spartacus

“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Jane

« Reply #81 on: March 24, 2004, 01:37:30 PM »

Yea, DARK VICTORY still gets me.

TCB if Anacin commercials make you cry, what do Hallmark commercials do to you? :D

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #82 on: March 24, 2004, 01:43:06 PM »

"The late Claudia Cassidy --- probably the best Chicago drama & dance critic ever --- suggested that whenever Miss Verdon cut a song in the National tour of REDHEAD that she played in Chicago, audience members should request a refund of 3% of the ticket price per song, as each song represented about 3% of the show's running time.

I saw Funny Girl at a Saturday matinee, and I imagine Barbra Streisand was trying to conserve her energy for the evening performance. When the moment came for "Who Are You Now" - my favorite song in the show - she merely asked the question to herself ("Who Are You Now, Nu?" Okay, maybe without the "nu"), and carried on. It was a thrill to see Barbra and Funny Girl, but I felt cheated.

As for "Why Should I Wake Up?" and "Now I Have Everything," I'm not particularly crazy about either lyric. And I suspected - rightly or wrongly - that each existed mainly to give its show a stand-alone hit.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #83 on: March 24, 2004, 01:51:11 PM »

Tear-jerkers:

I was wondering if anyone was going to mention Bambi.  Kudos to TCB.

Add to the list Edward Scissorhands.  It grabs right when you don't expect it to.  We played the film one Christmas for my father, sister, and bro-in-law.  My sister fell absolutely to pieces, and hated us for watching her use up the box of Kleenex.  (Which of course made it that much funnier for the rest of us.)
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Maya

• I've always wanted to see the lights of Broadway..
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #84 on: March 24, 2004, 02:15:22 PM »

"Pink Taffeta Sample Size 10" was cut because Miss Verdon did not want to sing another solo.  If fact, once a show was open (at least in REDHEAD & SWEET CHARITY) she often cut a couple of songs at some performances depending on her mood.  The late Claudia Cassidy --- probably the best Chicago drama & dance critic ever --- suggested that whenever Miss Verdon cut a song in the National tour of REDHEAD that she played in Chicago, audience members should request a refund of 3% of the ticket price per song, as each song represented about 3% of the show's running time.

Wow, WEL, that's fascinating!  And there ARE so many wonderful solos for Charity as is...but it's SUCH a good song!!!  (Charity is a role I would give just about anything to play, if only I could dance, hehe).

I really like "Why Should I Wake Up," actually, and I think it's even lovelier as a duet between the WSMA and Ruthie Henshall.  

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #85 on: March 24, 2004, 02:26:43 PM »

Yea, DARK VICTORY still gets me.

TCB if Anacin commercials make you cry, what do Hallmark commercials do to you? :D

Oh, I can't watch those.  I just change the channel.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Matt H.

« Reply #86 on: March 24, 2004, 02:28:13 PM »

"Why Should I Wake Up" is a beautiful song, and I also enjoyed the Sally-Cliff duet "Perfectly Marvelous," both from the original version of CABARET.

There are many, many things I like about the revised version of CABARET, but turning Cliff into a basically non-singing role is not one of them.

Panni

« Reply #87 on: March 24, 2004, 02:54:22 PM »

Yes, SWW, add EDWARD SCISSORHANDS to my growing list. The music alone makes me cry.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #88 on: March 24, 2004, 02:59:57 PM »

Welcome 18 GUESTS!  Yes, Virginia, you heard that right, 18 GUESTS.  3 users, 18 GUESTS.

Jane

« Reply #89 on: March 24, 2004, 03:02:49 PM »

Oh, I can't watch those.  I just change the channel.

Because you are crying too much, or gagging? ;D
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up