Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: SHUFFLE/BALL/CHANGE  (Read 38925 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:SHUFFLE/BALL/CHANGE
« Reply #30 on: March 24, 2004, 08:50:20 AM »

No, I wouldn't change a word of Johnny Mercer's lyric.  It's quite timeless, sadly.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #31 on: March 24, 2004, 08:50:30 AM »

Or funnily.

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #32 on: March 24, 2004, 08:56:43 AM »

I co-created a sitcom that ran for 7 years, and I left it after the first year. (Didn't like where it was going.) But for six years after that, I'd see my name right up there any Wednesday night (I actually don't remember the night) that I'd care to tune in. And I couldn't have told you anything about the show if my life depended on it.

Yes, Panni, that's an example of exactly what I said about creators:

The creators don't even have to be on staff, they still get their credits.

And you're right that nothing's set in stone.  Unlike a union job like "key grip" there is no specific definition of what a producer does set down anywhere.
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #33 on: March 24, 2004, 09:00:22 AM »

"American Idol" -- yet again!

1.  Does anyone else think that the orchestra is just way too LOUD most of the time?  Even Simon commented to one of the singers in one of his patented gobbledygook commentaries that the sound was so loud he wouldn't be able to know for sure until he saw a playback, but he thought she was off pitch (I think he was talking to Camille).

2.  Something occurred to me last night as I was winding down -- a lot of Simon's comments, as totally off-the-map as they seem to be, remind me of things being said on the "Idol" message board about various contestants.  And I started thinking that Simon might be throwing those comments out there to see how the singers will respond, but maybe more importantly, to gauge audience response.  

Some horrible things are posted to the message boards about virtually all the singers by people who don't like them for one reason or another and they're pretty strange comments, most of them.  I've often thought Simon was playing devil's advocate when he would start arguments with the other judges.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #34 on: March 24, 2004, 09:03:42 AM »

Yep, Amy had a sensational night last evening. She finished 3rd from the bottom last week (I couldn't argue since she chose a song last week that required too much of her weak head voice), but unless someone was asleep at the switch last night, she should be safe tonight after that performance. I did vote some for her.

I recorded the show last night and plan to rewatch the performances today. (Thank goodness I can skip over all the commercials and product placement features.) I just want to hear the singing again.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #35 on: March 24, 2004, 09:06:27 AM »

DR RLP, I don't have as much a problem with the orchestra as I do the offstage singers who sometimes totally overwhelm the singers. Even on Clay's first single, the backup singers on "Bridge Over Troubled Water" are WAY too loud.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #36 on: March 24, 2004, 09:18:57 AM »

What the heck is a "Best Boy" that's sometimes listed in credits?

(I was twice bestowed the title "Boy of the Month" while in Catholic grammar school!)
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #37 on: March 24, 2004, 09:22:03 AM »

WEL: I'd say Kritzer Time falls in the Kritzerland territory - about ninety percent "based on" and about 10% fiction.  But, you must understand, even the "based on" gets manipulated for story purposes.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #38 on: March 24, 2004, 09:31:26 AM »

(I was twice bestowed the title "Boy of the Month" while in Catholic grammar school!)
Where is DR TCB when we need him?   ;D ::) 8)
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #39 on: March 24, 2004, 09:48:04 AM »

He (or she) is the assistant to the main electrician (gaffer)  or lighting person. 8)

MBarnum

« Reply #40 on: March 24, 2004, 10:01:35 AM »

For ask BK day (and ask DR day too) what are your top 5 or 10 favorite 4 hankie movies....those movies that always have you sobbing or in tears..tears of sadness or tears of happiness.

Mine are:

ANAND: a 1970 Bollywood movie that had me crying more then any film I have ever seen in my life. It is about a man who is dying but lives his remaining months trying to make others happy.

STAND UP AND CHEER: For some reason the final song number is so emotional for me. I don't know why.

BORN FREE

GHOST AND MRS. MUIR

SENTIMENTAL JOURNEY: This is the first movie I can remember making me cry. I was only about 8 or 9 when I first saw it.

A CHILD IS BORN: 1940s movie about a maternity ward.

AN EARLY FROST

BLOSSOMS IN THE DUST: Greer Garson fighting for the rights of illegitimate children

SYMPHONY OF SIX MILLION: Ricardo Cortez in an old RKO melodrama as a Jewish doctor. With Irene Dunn.

PENNY SERENADE: How could you watch this one and not cry!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #41 on: March 24, 2004, 10:09:02 AM »

Hankie movies:

It's a Wonderful Life
The Miracle Worker
City Lights

William E. Lurie

« Reply #42 on: March 24, 2004, 10:10:30 AM »

Thanks for the producer info.  It seems to me from what I read that many of the producers are writters with the ego to ask for producer credits and others get the credit as a reward for something else.  I don't watch that much network television, but when I do, I notice that the opening credits run about five minutes (mostly names of various producers) and since they are usually superimposed over the actual show they can be very distracting.

One movie I always cry at is UMBRELLAS OF CHEROURG.  The site of Ms. Denuve in that mink starts the tear ducts flowing and they remain so through the whole gas station scene in the snow as the beautiful Legrand music swells up.
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #43 on: March 24, 2004, 10:11:07 AM »

What a great subject, DR MBarnum!  I, for one, am not embarassed to admit I cry at the movies:

TERMS OF ENDEARMENT (Saw this alone on New Year's Day 1983.  Poor woman next to me -- also there for a good cry, I could tell -- finally put her little Kleenex "purse pack" in my lap at one point.  Buckets, I cried.  Buckets.)

NOW, VOYAGER

STEPMOM (I hate to admit this one, but remember being manipulated into tears....)

I'm sure there are others.....

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #44 on: March 24, 2004, 10:15:15 AM »

Was this a school title, or ...

And for TCB:

..and, Oh! My! TWICE! You WERE a good boy, weren't you...!!!
« Last Edit: March 24, 2004, 10:24:47 AM by RLP »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #45 on: March 24, 2004, 10:22:53 AM »

Hanky movies:

Imitation of Life (both)
A Star is Born (1954)
Old Yeller
Terms of Endearment
Goodbye Mr. Chips (1969)
Field of Dreams (this one grabs me about a half hour from the ending and wrings me and wrings me and wrings me)

Jennifer

« Reply #46 on: March 24, 2004, 10:25:07 AM »

Re: American Idol

I HATE that in most songs the back-up track/singers seems to overtake the actual singers.

I must disagree about Simon.  I love him.  And how exactly would we know what he actually says with Paula and Randy always interupting him.  I mentioned this weeks ago.  But it is starting to drive me crazy.  Why do P & R think that whatever they say is correct and whatever Simon says is wrong.  Just let him give his freakin opinion AND THEN comment.

It's sort of funny when the audience boos (when Simon starts to say something negative).  But it's not as amusing (to me at least) when the other judges do it.

Oh and I agree, that pink-haired Amy had the best country voice last night.  I just really don't like the pink hair though.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #47 on: March 24, 2004, 10:28:18 AM »

Was this a school title, or ...

Yes, a school title--it had nothing to do with the priests.

..and, Oh! My! TWICE! You WERE a good boy, weren't you...!!!

Good had nothing to do with it, dearie!  ;)  

(Aww, c'mon!  You had to expect that answer. )
« Last Edit: March 24, 2004, 10:31:06 AM by Dan (the Man) »
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

MBarnum

« Reply #48 on: March 24, 2004, 10:30:45 AM »

I think City Lights is on TCM this early evening! I meant to tape it and I forgot to set my timer.  I must go home and set it before I go to the gym. The discussions of that film on HHW have convinced me that I must see it!
« Last Edit: March 24, 2004, 10:34:09 AM by MBarnum »

Maya

• I've always wanted to see the lights of Broadway..
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #49 on: March 24, 2004, 10:31:48 AM »

Hey, everyone!  

I was so happy in math class today!  The professor ran out of time, because it took so long for everyone to finish a quiz, and so I have no homework for tonight!

ASK BK Question
I recently acquired "Lost in Boston III" and I love it (was very pleased to hear Guy Haines' charming rendition of "The Bee," cut from Where's Charley?, the show I'm currently in) ...I really need to get the rest of the series.  I was just wondering; how did you find the trunk songs that you put on the albums, and did you have any kind of system for selecting them?

Some favorite weepies

Camille (with Garbo)
Carousel
Dancer in the Dark
Umbrellas of Cherbourg
A Star is Born
Thirteen

Well, since I have some spare time, I think I shall start on "Kritzertime!"

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #50 on: March 24, 2004, 10:47:44 AM »

Git-Out-Yer-Hankerchief Movies:

Terms of Endearment
Kramer vs Kramer
It's a Wonderful Life
LOTR:  The Return of the King
To Kill a Mockingbird

The first time I saw ET was about two weeks after my father died and I cried buckets.  Oddly, the movie hasn't effected me much at all in subsequent viewings.  

I was also brought to tears with the recent Hallmark Hall of Fame TV movie The Blackwater Lightship.  That one was a stunner.
-- Anaïs Nin

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #51 on: March 24, 2004, 10:58:06 AM »

Where is DR TCB when we need him?   ;D ::) 8)

The Best Boy is an assistant gaffer.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Panni

« Reply #52 on: March 24, 2004, 11:07:45 AM »

Hankie movies:
UMBERTO D
TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD
CASABLANCA
OLD YELLER
THE DEAD
THE PAWNBROKER
GLEN OR GLENDA (just kidding)

I'm sure I'll think of more later.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #53 on: March 24, 2004, 11:11:04 AM »

Maya: Yes, start on Kritzer Time.  By the time of LIBIII I had no problem calling composers or publishers about cut songs.  Everyone had loved the first two volumes, so doors were pretty much open.  Selecting was easy: I had to like the song, or, had to find it at least historically interesting.  For example, the cut song Waiting from The King and I is fairly awful, but very interesting historically, so I included it.  But some of these cut songs, as I've said many times, were/are as good or better as what ended up in the actual scores.

Panni

« Reply #54 on: March 24, 2004, 11:11:44 AM »

...And this may seem silly, but that first glorious shot of THE SOUND OF MUSIC is guaranteed to turn me into a blubbering mess.

Panni

« Reply #55 on: March 24, 2004, 11:16:39 AM »

Must get back to work.. But HOW could I leave out AN AFFAIR TO REMEMBER (the Cary Grant-Deborah Kerr version, of course). Bring on the buckets.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2004, 12:06:56 PM by Panni »

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #56 on: March 24, 2004, 11:18:58 AM »

IMITATION OF LIFE, of course!  How could I forget all those Douglas Sirk/Universal weepers??!!??

Also, the Bette Midler STELLA.  Cried and cried and cried.  (I loathe to admit that I can't recall ever seeing the Stanwyck version in its entirety.)

And Harry Bailey's toast gets me every time.  For one brother to express those emotions to another.....

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #57 on: March 24, 2004, 11:20:59 AM »

Must get back to work.. But HOW could I leave out AN AFFAIR TO REMEMBER (the Cary Grant-Deborah Kerr version, of course). Bring on the buckets.

Another one, and I agree with you about SOUND OF MUSIC, too.

Along those lines (and I hate to admit this, too), the title song in MAME makes me cry.  Both onstage, and in the movie.  But for different reasons......
« Last Edit: March 24, 2004, 12:59:22 PM by Stuart »

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #58 on: March 24, 2004, 11:23:07 AM »

But, you must understand, even the "based on" gets manipulated for story purposes.

And it was done beautifully.  :)

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #59 on: March 24, 2004, 11:24:58 AM »

He (or she) is the assistant to the main electrician (gaffer)  or lighting person. 8)

Whoops, sorry.  That is what happens when you don't keep up on the posts.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up