Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: SHUFFLE/BALL/CHANGE  (Read 38901 times)

td

• td
Re:SHUFFLE/BALL/CHANGE
« Reply #90 on: March 24, 2004, 03:17:36 PM »

...And this may seem silly, but that first glorious shot of THE SOUND OF MUSIC is guaranteed to turn me into a blubbering mess.

Me, too!  Totally!  I am a blubbering boob as far as TSoM is concerned. . .don't even get me started on the Elsa/Maria scene just before Intermission!
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

td

• td
« Reply #91 on: March 24, 2004, 03:18:55 PM »

Whoops, sorry.  That is what happens when you don't keep up on the posts.

If you ever need any help keeping up, TCB, I'm your man.   ;)
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #92 on: March 24, 2004, 03:22:28 PM »

Welcome 23 GUESTS.  4 users, 23 GUESTS.  Let's switch that around and make it 23 users and 4 GUESTS.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #93 on: March 24, 2004, 03:57:18 PM »

FINALLY!

My "Jerry Goldsmith at 20th Century-Fox" boxed set has arrived, BK!

I was beginning to despair...but it's here, it's here!

"A-at last..............."
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Jennifer

« Reply #94 on: March 24, 2004, 03:57:37 PM »

Wow. I find it so interesting to hear about Verdon or Streisand skipping songs.  Does anyone think an actor could get away with that now?

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #95 on: March 24, 2004, 03:58:50 PM »

P.S.

"The Secret Garden" arrived today, BK.   It looks lovely!
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #96 on: March 24, 2004, 04:01:30 PM »

I think you will be very pleased with the Goldsmith.  The three discs that Nick was responsible for (4,5 and 6) are the best - well-ordered and, of course, all the rare material.  The first three discs are weak - not because it's repeated material, but because it's not a great listening experience because of the order.  Mr. Townson seems to have grouped the scores by genre as much as possible, which to my mind doesn't work.  I would actually have preferred the first three discs to be chronological.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #97 on: March 24, 2004, 04:02:15 PM »

The most exciting thing I have to post is that, at the moment, I'm making cabbage rolls.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #98 on: March 24, 2004, 04:21:44 PM »

P.S.

"The Secret Garden" arrived today, BK.   It looks lovely!

Is that the original cast CD?  One of these days I'm going to get it.  It is strange but since moving here I rarely go into a CD store.  I know I can order on line but I don't.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #99 on: March 24, 2004, 04:26:13 PM »

No, DR Jane, "The Secret Garden" I got is on Varese Sarabande and is a world premiere recording  with music by Sharon Burgett and lyrics by Burgett and Susan Beckwith-Smith and Diana Matterson.

Laura II

« Reply #100 on: March 24, 2004, 04:30:22 PM »

I never knew ordering sheet music was so much of a hassle. Oy. I ordered $232.32 worth of music and showtrax cds for the voice classes at work. $3.20 of that order is mine. I'm told I'll be reimbursed by Boss Man, but why do I get the feeling that I'm going to end up with the bill? I don't know if he'll be pleased with the fact that I decided to buy multiple copies of music for the kids (i.e. the legal way). Composers and arrangers and all those people need to make money, too, and I wasn't going to buy one copy and let him photocopy it. Here's to hoping that I'll get my money from him!

(Sorry, it's been a rough week, and it's only Wednesday. I can't wait until I'm back to my usual happy ways!)
"I believe that my life's gonna see the love I give returned to me."

Michael

« Reply #101 on: March 24, 2004, 04:31:24 PM »

Michael Rupert is a great guy and we've always had a good time working together.  He can really deliver whatever you ask of him.  I, too, saw him in The Happy Time and enjoyed him, and he was an excellent Pippin.  My only complaint about Michael was his inability to focus on doing a solo album.  We talked about it many times, he agreed many times, but he just couldn't focus.  Someone else (another producer) e-mailed me and said HE was going to do a solo album with Michael.  I rolled my eyes and said, "Good luck."  Needless to say, the album doesn't exist.

If memory serves wasn't the album supposed to be one of Kander and Ebb songs?
Never stop dreaming.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #102 on: March 24, 2004, 04:35:37 PM »

That was one of many things we talked about.

Michael

« Reply #103 on: March 24, 2004, 04:45:07 PM »

The first movie I remember crying at (actually I waited until i got home) was Old Yeller at age of 5 0r 6. I have not seen it since them or will I watch it again
Never stop dreaming.

Jane

« Reply #104 on: March 24, 2004, 04:53:30 PM »

Michael Shayne, at that young age, or any age, I can’t believe you waited until you got home to cry.  Was that due to the old theory that boys don’t cry?

Robin

« Reply #105 on: March 24, 2004, 05:03:57 PM »

I've only actually cried at one (count 'em, one) movie.  Which I will save for last.

Gods and Monsters
Pinocchio
Dumbo
City Lights
.  If you're not moved by the final scene in this movie, get yourself to a therapist.  
The Letter
Now, Voyager
Edward Scissorhands
Grand Hotel
Queen Christina
.  Garbo was the queen of the tearjerkers.
King Kong.  One of my all-time favorite movies, and the greatest tearjerker ever made, at least IMHO.  (That's "in my humble opinion" for you internet newbies.)  When I saw this as a kid, Kong terrified me at first, and then the big lug slowly won me over.  When poor Kong took the fall off of the Empire State Building, my ten-year-old heart was shattered.  
Mankind needs God...like fish need bicycles!

Jane

« Reply #106 on: March 24, 2004, 05:14:12 PM »

Robin, oh yes KING KONG was so sad.  But I thought Loretta Young was the queen of tear jerkers.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #107 on: March 24, 2004, 05:18:21 PM »

I shall be leaving soon to attend the popular song lecture.  You all be sure to keep the home fries burning, you hear?  I want loads of lovely posts when I return, for I shall need your usual excellence for my mental delectation.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #108 on: March 24, 2004, 05:24:17 PM »

The most exciting thing I have to post is that, at the moment, I'm making cabbage rolls.

As the Schmenge Brothers on SCTV used to sing:

"Cabbage rolls and coffee!
Mmmm!  Mmmm!  Good!"
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Robin

« Reply #109 on: March 24, 2004, 05:37:54 PM »

Gosh, and I've just finished a batch of raparperikiisseli.  (That's "rhubarb pudding" for you non-Finns out there.)  

Dee-lish.  

Michael

« Reply #110 on: March 24, 2004, 05:53:17 PM »

Michael Shayne, at that young age, or any age, I can’t believe you waited until you got home to cry.  Was that due to the old theory that boys don’t cry?

Well no one else was crying and I didn't want to be the only one. So I waited until I got home. My parents never encouraged that theory that boys don't cry.
Never stop dreaming.

Jane

« Reply #111 on: March 24, 2004, 05:54:37 PM »

No, DR Jane, "The Secret Garden" I got is on Varese Sarabande and is a world premiere recording  with music by Sharon Burgett and lyrics by Burgett and Susan Beckwith-Smith and Diana Matterson.

Thanks RLP.  I did a little research on this and definitely want it now.  I still want a cast version of it, so question to all readers.  Shall I get the original Broadway or London recording?  

Ben

« Reply #112 on: March 24, 2004, 05:54:48 PM »

Some time this week or week end we will pass the 35,000 message mark. Right now Robin's message put us at 34,579.

Movies that tear me up:

already mentioned the 1953 Titanic w/Clifton Webb and Barbara Stanwyck

also already mentioned Longtime Companion

I thing because I'm so late in posting lots of mine are already mentioned. There are parts of Dumbo that just rip my heart out.

Old Yeller

An Early Frost

I'll stop now because I'm just repeating.

Still tweaking the ole computer. I'll be back tomorrow morning.

Robin

« Reply #113 on: March 24, 2004, 05:55:56 PM »

I just won an eBay auction for Guy Haines' "His Way" on CD.  

Spiffy, eh?

Michael

« Reply #114 on: March 24, 2004, 05:56:17 PM »

Just wanted to say that I am still reading Kritzer Time and thoroughly emjoying it. It is the favorite of the trilogy. I can relate to so much that Benjamin was experiencing at the time only that it happened to be several years later.
Never stop dreaming.

Danise

« Reply #115 on: March 24, 2004, 05:57:35 PM »

Evening all!

Just call me the Goddess of Duh—I didn’t even know I had turned into one until I signed onto the board.  Thank you all for the lovely welcome to the clouds.   :D

And as for YOUR suggestion, Tom, Let me test my new powers.  ::snap:: What’s this?  Two tickets to go see Michael Ball.  ::Snap::Snap:: And this?  The airfare and hotel room.  Hummm Let’s see what else I can do.  ::::snap::::snap::::snap::::  Wow, I’m all booked for NYC!  

Well, that is true.  I paid for the NYC trip last night so it’s official.    I’m coming or going (depending on your point of view). I will be staying at the Milford.  It just seemed to make the most sense.

I woke up feeling ill last night and it has lasted into tonight.  I don’t know what the problem is.  My tummy is in knots and my head aching.  I don’t know if God-dum does that to a person, the pollen count or too much excitement about the trip and all.

Talking about hanky shows, I do hope I don’t see a sad one while in NYC.  I cry buckets at POTO.  I would be so embarrassed to be with someone and not be able to stop.

I think I’ve already said before that the Wizard of Oz was my yearly cry when I was growing up.  And The Ghost and Mrs. Muir is at least a 4 hankie film.   If/when we all meet, we’ll have to watch that one together and have group cry.  I’ll even spring for a couple of boxes of tissues.

Knightriders always gets me as well.

Bruce, how did you know where I stopped reading today?   :)

Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Jane

« Reply #116 on: March 24, 2004, 05:59:31 PM »

My parents never encouraged that theory that boys don't cry.

That's a relief but I can't believe no one was crying.  You just didn't hear them.  No one ever hears me cry at a movie, well maybe a sniffle but that's it.

Michael

« Reply #117 on: March 24, 2004, 06:00:25 PM »

Thanks RLP.  I did a little research on this and definitely want it now.  I still want a cast version of it, so question to all readers.  Shall I get the original Broadway or London recording?  

They are different scores.
The Broadway score is by Lucy Simon and Marsha Norman. The London cast is a studio recording with Barbara Cook, Judy Kaye and John Cullum is by a number of composers and lyricists and has many songs that I would recommend. Especially the song Something Special sung by Barbara Cook
« Last Edit: March 24, 2004, 06:01:11 PM by Michael Shayne »
Never stop dreaming.

Jane

« Reply #118 on: March 24, 2004, 06:07:14 PM »

Danise I hope you feel better by tomorrow.  I’m a bit dense so must ask, what is POTO?

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #119 on: March 24, 2004, 06:09:18 PM »

We just received the March 25 issue of the Canadian Jewish News, which features Passover recipes. Here's the first line in the recipe for the main course: "Clean turkey and prick all over."
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up