Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Down

Author Topic: SHUFFLE/BALL/CHANGE  (Read 37556 times)

MBarnum

Re:SHUFFLE/BALL/CHANGE
« Reply #150 on: March 24, 2004, 07:53:22 PM »

Boy so many hankie movies! I am glad to know we can all have a good cry now and then and enjoy it! LOL!

I will also add certain episodes of LASSIE can get me teary eyed...and now that I think about it the orignal version of THE INCREDIBLE JOURNEY had me balling like a baby in the movie theater (or course I was practically still a baby as I was only 6 years old) when the cat falls into the creek and is swept away! Man that really upset me at the time!!

Also, I used to get quite a lump in my throat while watching MENTOS commercials...I just loved who no matter what the difficulty or trouble everyone was happy and nice at the end of the commercial! I guess I am just a softy! LOL!

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #151 on: March 24, 2004, 08:07:32 PM »

td, Yes, I have a couple of copies of The Making of Dragonheart.  I actually a couple of boxes of Dragonheart merchandising from shampoo to action figures to colouring books...

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #152 on: March 24, 2004, 08:12:44 PM »

Well, here I am, putting off studying for the two tests I have tomorrow. Whoever invented the essay exam really needs to be shot.

That's really all I have to say.
The mountains are pretty.

"I'm gonna put the little fish in the big tank, and the big fish in the little tank." -- talkative bus driver

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #153 on: March 24, 2004, 08:24:10 PM »

I cry at anything.  Most recently at A Thousand Clowns.  I think I even cried at The Court Jester.  Since moving away from a beloved home town was the major trauma of my childhood, I've always wept at Margaret O'Brien's bashing the snow people in Meet Me In St. Louis.

Why Can't I Wake Up may be my all-time favorite Kander & Ebb song.  And, on Broadway now, Now I Have Everything is the most emotional song that doesn't involve the chorus in Fiddler on the Roof.

I love Pink Taffeta Sample out of context.  But if you're watching a musical about a prostitute, the last thing you want to hear about it the woman's happy family life.  It just starts the mind racing - in the wrong way - and you ask "How'd she get to be a prostitute."  Better to avoid the subject entirely, as the final draft of Sweet Charity does.

Picked up The Country's In the Very Best of Hands today.  I may have to cut some things - for length, not for sense.  It's parity that no one understands.
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #154 on: March 24, 2004, 08:25:36 PM »

Well, I have to say that I wasn't particularly surprised by the outcome of tonight's AMERICAN IDOL but I was somewhat disappointed. (More about that tomorrow.) But, just like last week, there was one BIG shockeroo among the Bottom Three. And the fact that this week's bottom three was totally diffferent from last week's bottom three was also significant. Fans of those two saved last week must have called in in force to assure their favorites another week to sing.

Moral: Fans can't get complacent about their favorites. If you want them to stay in, you have to vote.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2004, 08:27:27 PM by Matt H. »
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #155 on: March 24, 2004, 08:47:42 PM »

I'll bet you could get a flight from Washington to Pennsylvania, TCB....

Are you kidding?  I can't even afford a cross-town bus ticket.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

td

• td
« Reply #156 on: March 24, 2004, 08:56:08 PM »

So, what's stopping you from doing a Claudette Colbert? ? ?
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #157 on: March 24, 2004, 09:00:05 PM »

More movies that made me cry, or at least sucker punched me into a huge sob:

Ordinary People
Places in the Heart
Field of Dreams
Country
Empire of the Sun
Dead Poets Society
The Color Purple
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #158 on: March 24, 2004, 09:10:14 PM »

DR MattH may not have been surprised by tonight's "American Idol" results, but I was...and more than shocked and disappointed.

Only one of those three deserved to go...and didn't.  Only one of those three cannot carry a tune to save her life...and hasn't.
Only one of those three will compete again next week...and totally destroy another song.

Simon's comment about not being surprised at the two women in the bottom three confirms for me that Simon has no use for one whom Randy and Paula continue to praise...and with valid, solid reason. Simon is always very catty about her and says nothing about her performances.

But that's all right.  I have my "Jerry Goldsmith at 20th Century-Fox" 6-CD boxed set to warm my heart.  

TCB:  Do we need to take a collection????
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #159 on: March 24, 2004, 09:16:26 PM »

My List of Potential Sugar Daddies
Ian McKellen
Richard Hatch
Gore Vidal
TCB
Edward Albee
Bruce Webber
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

SwishySarah

• Swish On!
« Reply #160 on: March 24, 2004, 09:19:47 PM »

Quick remark:

Last night I said something along the lines that BK should stop damning people to hell.

I suppose I should stop trying to be sarcastic when I'm not in a good mood.

It was not meant seriously, I know BK always says that, and I know it's from Planet of the Apes, and I know that it sounded rude and annoyed.

I know.

Purely an accident. Whoops!

I heart HHW and everyone, damn them all to hell.
...Walk in the sunshine...

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #161 on: March 24, 2004, 09:41:41 PM »

I heart HHW and everyone, damn them all to hell.

Sarah, I've only know you a short time but I know you didn't mean anything mean last night.  You're far too lovely a soul.

Sarcasm is usually difficult to convey on message boards or newsgroup unless everyone is hep to the same kind of delimiting of words.  Usually I see it done with the sarcastic words surrounded by asterisks, as in "Oh, yeah--that's a *really* good explaination of how to do sarcasm."  This could, of course, be followed by a <haughty smirk> (I don't think we have a smiley here for haughty smirks.)
-- Anaïs Nin

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #162 on: March 24, 2004, 10:16:53 PM »

Lovely posts all.  Had a good time tonight, and you'll hear all about it in tomorrow's notes.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #163 on: March 24, 2004, 10:47:56 PM »

We've had an Attack of the Wussburgers!

Jed

« Reply #164 on: March 24, 2004, 11:16:16 PM »

Alright, finally caught up on all of today's posts!

First off, Pink Tafetta Sample Size 10 is probably my favorite song from any of the Lost In Boston CDs.  Simply love it.

I've never been one to cry at movies.  Not due to any "boys don't cry" conditioning or anything, just not my nature.  Still, I have been known to tear up a bit from time to time.  First one that comes to mind at the moment is Sophie's Choice.  A few episodes of M*A*S*H will get me now and then, too.  Oh, and I do remember crying at My Girl when it came out.  I was probably 12 or so, and had never cried at a movie before... rather surprised me! :)
« Last Edit: March 24, 2004, 11:21:32 PM by Jed »
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #165 on: March 24, 2004, 11:23:08 PM »

Dan-in-TO - I'm glad to see that the Canadian Jewish News is as good as ever.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #166 on: March 24, 2004, 11:28:42 PM »

Noel mentioned MEET ME IN ST. LOUIS in the tears department... I agree.  Judy Garland is so beautiful and just breaks your heart. As does little Margaret O'Brien.

Laura II

« Reply #167 on: March 24, 2004, 11:29:42 PM »

Oh, Jed, I love My Girl!! Yeah, I think I probably cried at that and My Girl 2.
"I believe that my life's gonna see the love I give returned to me."
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Up