Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: HIGH INTO THE GUMS  (Read 20113 times)

DAW

Re: HIGH INTO THE GUMS
« Reply #90 on: July 16, 2009, 01:03:13 PM »

Johnny Depp:  "My dream role would be to play musical legend Carol Channing in a biopic of her life. I love her, I really do. She's amazing. With all the digital technology available these days I could probably pull it off.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #91 on: July 16, 2009, 01:05:06 PM »

Johnny Depp:  "My dream role would be to play musical legend Carol Channing in a biopic of her life. I love her, I really do. She's amazing. With all the digital technology available these days I could probably pull it off.

Johnny likes her corn.
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #92 on: July 16, 2009, 01:18:55 PM »

Emmy nominations were announced this morning and there were BIG surprises:

No best comedy nominations for UGLY BETTY, THE BIG BANG THEORY, TWO AND A HALF MEN, or DESPERATE HOUSEWIVES. Instead, FLIGHT OF THE CONCHORDS and WEEDS and FAMILY GUY and HOW I MET YOUR MOTHER landed in the category.

No best drama nominations for GREY'S ANATOMY, THE SHIELD, RESCUE ME, '24,' THE MENTALIST, BURN NOTICE, THE CLOSER, or TRUE BLOOD. Instead, only two network shows (LOST and HOUSE) are represented with the other nominees coming from cable: BIG LOVE, MAD MEN, DEXTER, DAMAGES, BREAKING BAD.

Nice to see Jim Parsons finally win a nomination (Best Comedy Actor) but I was very disappointed for the actors in THE SHIELD, all of whom did award-winning work and who lost out to less deserving nominees.

Since I watch very little network TV, the Emmy's don't mean a lot to me, but really--six to seven nominees for each category?

Between this and the ten Best Picture nominees for the Oscars and the Tony Awards Committee cutting out the critics in voting, this is truly the year of dumbing down entertainment awards.

But doesn't the fact that you DON'T watch much network TV mean that your opinion is not really based much on the facts?

The fact is that the quality of TV dramatic shows has never been as high or rich, and they could have EASILY filled the deserving nominee slots with ten or more drama series that are truly worthy.

There are fewer comedies that I would say that about, and my own feelings about increasing the Best Picture Oscar nominees to ten is well known (I think it's absurd).

But you don't know what you're talking about in terms of drama series.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #93 on: July 16, 2009, 01:20:41 PM »

How ridiculous. He said this with a straight (no pun intended) face?

Matt H.

« Reply #94 on: July 16, 2009, 01:22:58 PM »

It was very hot and uncomfortable today. Humidity has returned, and it's just "wilting weather" outside.

Matt H.

« Reply #95 on: July 16, 2009, 01:26:18 PM »

When I got in, I started watching THE LOVE BOAT. Because lunch ran late, I only had time for two episodes.

THE LOVE BOAT is great for star watching, but was there ever a more innocuous show that was this immensely popular? Even when they bring up something trendy or controversial such as open marriage, it's handled in such a bland, predictable way that it's not very interesting. A the comedy is mild at best, even though the boisterous laugh track would make you think it's a laugh riot.

Matt H.

« Reply #96 on: July 16, 2009, 01:27:31 PM »

The first episode (the one with the open marriage plot) had Barbara Rush and Peter Marshall experimenting. Ray Bolger and Martha Raye got paired together. And Tina Louise played one of Bernie Kopell's many ex-wives. She latches on to Lyle Waggoner.

Matt H.

« Reply #97 on: July 16, 2009, 01:30:24 PM »

The second episode had Bobby Van and Elaine Joyce offering Gopher (Fred Grandy) a job as a hotel manager. Abe Vigoda is paired with Nancy Walker while magician Ron Palillo ends up with his brother's female magician assistant.

This one did feature some location filming on board a real cruise ship rather than just the studio mock-ups used on most of the episodes.

DAW

« Reply #98 on: July 16, 2009, 01:30:31 PM »

How ridiculous. He said this with a straight (no pun intended) face?

Sorry; I don't know the context.

Matt H.

« Reply #99 on: July 16, 2009, 01:31:52 PM »

I did have just enough time to skim through today's THE YOUNG AND THE RESTLESS. Phillip was on (Adam too), but there was just more of the same guilt trip stuff. Lord, they are going to milk that for all it's worth!

Nothing in the previews with Phillip or Rafe.

Kerry

« Reply #100 on: July 16, 2009, 01:48:22 PM »

In general, on the average and as a rule, I tend to avoid all things Jim Carrey, even when they air on TV.

Life seems much more livable that way.

LOL
I like boat races.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #101 on: July 16, 2009, 02:29:40 PM »

Back from Jerry's deli and a turkey sandwich.  Only one package arrived today - very annoying.  I was not intending to eat just yet, but Time Warner was down for almost an hour and I got fed up and then literally got fed up at Jerry's.  We're back online now.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #102 on: July 16, 2009, 02:43:48 PM »

Okay, someone really needs to explain to me where all the errant and truant people are - where the HELL are S. Woody and der Brucer?  Where is Jane?  Where's Laura?  And the list goes on and on and on. 

Kerry

« Reply #103 on: July 16, 2009, 02:44:58 PM »

I want more  favorite book covers from people too!
I like boat races.

Kerry

« Reply #104 on: July 16, 2009, 02:45:54 PM »

Speaking of which, a book that I read in the 5th grade (I think) had a cover that I alwasy liked.  The title was, "Berries Goodman."
I like boat races.

Matt H.

« Reply #105 on: July 16, 2009, 02:46:36 PM »

I have to start on my review (though I've only seen the first two of twelve episodes in the package. Hopefully, I can get at least four more done tonight so I will be halfway through and be able to finish it tomorrow).

WBBL.

Kerry

« Reply #106 on: July 16, 2009, 02:49:12 PM »

TOD"  John Kobal's "People Will Talk"  (design by Danny Pelavin)

"Square Meals" (design by Sara Renolds)
I like boat races.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #107 on: July 16, 2009, 03:00:47 PM »

...... while magician Ron Palillo ends up with his brother's female magician assistant.

And so utterly funny in an absurd way...
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #108 on: July 16, 2009, 03:02:20 PM »

It was very hot and uncomfortable today. Humidity has returned, and it's just "wilting weather" outside.

We have attained today's high -- 77 degrees Fahrenheit.  Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Kerry

« Reply #109 on: July 16, 2009, 03:07:25 PM »

I'd like to see that.
I like boat races.

Kerry

« Reply #110 on: July 16, 2009, 03:09:03 PM »

We have attained today's high -- 77 degrees Fahrenheit.  Thank you, thank you, thank you.

We have not yet attained today's high of 110 or 118 or whatever ridiculous astronomical number we're supposed to hit today; we're still a few degrees "cooler."
 :-\ :-[
I like boat races.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #111 on: July 16, 2009, 03:14:43 PM »

I'd like to see that.

Instead of actually playing Carol, perhaps he could do a new version of Lorelei Lee in "Gentlemen Prefer Blondes">

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #112 on: July 16, 2009, 03:17:13 PM »

What's interesting about book covers is how different the different editions can be.  Here's the first(?) cover of Fredric Brown's "Space On My Hands" from 1953:

And here's a reissue from 1980:

Not in a gazillion years would I have guessed that these are for the same book.  Of course, it's a book of short stories, but still...

;)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #113 on: July 16, 2009, 03:27:05 PM »

In the past I have shown my favorite paperback covers, so this time I will show my newest obsession interest, a series of children's books from the 30s, 40s, and 50s, most by author Ruth Dixon and all with photos by Harry Whittier Frees. the pictures just make me smile.

Do you have anyone who can help you read them?
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #114 on: July 16, 2009, 03:28:33 PM »

Have taken a first pass on the liner notes - I at least found a way into them, and now I can finesse and add to what I've done.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #115 on: July 16, 2009, 03:33:32 PM »

DR TCB - we were referring the June Kenney star of ATTACK OF THE PUPPET PEOPLE, TEENAGE DOLL, and SORORITY GIRL.....oh and CAT BURGLAR.....who has some residuals at SAG.....  She has not provided them with a current address.... 

Allison's case is to be expected, she's been dead since 1977....Ms. Kenney is a mystery.  All books that contain interviews with her co stars say they enjoyed working with her, she was very serious about her acting.....but no one knows where she is.

Thank you Jack.  I could remember the story of her disappearing, but I couldn't for the life of me remember her name.  And as you said, in Allison's case it is understandable.
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #116 on: July 16, 2009, 03:39:34 PM »

DR TCB - I have shopped regularly at OLDIES.com since DR RLP posted the link last year.  Their shipping is slow.....but they have good bargains on lots of DVD's. 

You are correct about their shipping being slow.  I looked back and the reason I didn't remember what I ordered is because it was one month ago.  And all of the titles I bought were "in stock."
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #117 on: July 16, 2009, 03:41:41 PM »

I am still in awe of the fact that teeth can move.

Out of the glass you put them in?
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #118 on: July 16, 2009, 03:43:07 PM »

Antonia:

I am in love with Antonia!
“One thing’s universal,

Ginny

« Reply #119 on: July 16, 2009, 03:43:35 PM »

We went to the hospital this afternoon to visit DH Richard's brother, whose surgery is scheduled for noon tomorrow.  He looks good and is ready to get the show on the road.  His oldest daughter, Amy, was there, working on her sermon for Sunday (she's a Methodist minister).

Soon I'll be off to my book group's discussion of The Friday Night Knitting Club.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8   Go Up