Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: FLY DOES TIME  (Read 22987 times)

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
Re: FLY DOES TIME
« Reply #60 on: July 17, 2009, 09:01:03 AM »

'Wrastling' is a technical kitchen term.

It wouldn't be necessary if you'd just wear some gloves while you're putting those lobsters into your pot
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #61 on: July 17, 2009, 09:06:04 AM »

DR DAW--you've tweeted!

Don't spread it around....  Everyone will want some!        ;)

Either that...or some sugar.

Do you give out sugar....or is it rationed?
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Laura

« Reply #62 on: July 17, 2009, 09:07:24 AM »

You must be feeling better this morning, Cillaliz.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #63 on: July 17, 2009, 09:17:08 AM »

As far as my not knowing what I'm talking about as far as TV is concerned, I know crap when I see it.  I don't have to step in it to insure that it's crap--I walk around it.  And 90% of TV today is crap.

It may very well be crap to those who watch it, DR Dan (the Man).  But saying it's all (or 90%) crap without actually watching it carries no weight.   Your statement speaks for itself.  You are damning TV shows without watching them. 

It's like reviewing something without listening to it, reading it or watching it.

The idea of a TV show may not appeal to you....but you will never know whether that impression means anything until you've actually seen the show.

As for your contention that nominations in excess of five becomes meaningless -- except as a means of pandering to producers, et al -- consider this:  Nominating committees are a handful of people poring over videotapes submitted by production companies and networks.

For far too long, many wonderful shows and performers have been omitted while these committees confine their nominees to the shows they select for the top five.

Sure, there have been exceptions.  But this new way of doing things opens the choices up and allows many formerly disgruntled Emmy voters a greater opportunity to actually vote for whom "they" consider to be the best....not a select few designated by some nominating committee that was under pressure to submit five nominees from a vast field of deserving contenders.

As you have made it clear that you are contemptuous of TV, color me puzzled that you have anything to say about Emmy nominations at all.  Why would you care? 

As for your "crap" analogy, well....I know an uninformed opinion when I read one, too.  You have every right to hold and express opinions, but if you're going to post them, don't be surprised or offended that someone comes along and stickes a few pins in them.  You would certainly do the same thing, I believe.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2009, 09:30:17 AM by Ron Pulliam »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #64 on: July 17, 2009, 09:53:08 AM »

I don't know - I don't watch TV, but, for example, when I do have occasion to flip around the dial and watch things, a lot of the highly-lauded shows I see are, at least for me, indeed crap.  I've seen a CSI or two and just loathed it as well as some others.  But it's all horse racing and everyone is entitled to their opinion, informed or not, just as everyone is entitled to comment, hopefully in a nice way.  As to awards shows, well, I think they may as well just nominate everyone now - there are no rules anymore, so just put 'em all up and have three winners in every category.  The fact that the Tonys will now have only presenters and their ilk voting on those awards means it's going to even more meaningless than it was.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2009, 11:52:53 AM by bk »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #65 on: July 17, 2009, 11:01:15 AM »

Back from a three-mile jog - and let me just get this straight - no posts in an hour?

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #66 on: July 17, 2009, 11:07:28 AM »

I don't know - I don't watch TV, but, for example, when I do have occasion to flip around the dial and watch things, a lot of the highly-lauded shows I see are, at least for me, indeed crap.  I've seen a CSI or two and just loathed it as well as some others.  But it's all horse racing and everyone is entitled to their opinion, informed or not, just as everyone is entitled to comment, hopefully in a nice way.  As to awards shows, well, I think they may as well just nominate everyone now - there are no rules anymore, so just put 'em all up and have three winners in every category.  The fact that the Tonys will now have only presenters and their ilk voting on those awards means it's going to even more meaningless than it was.

Easy for you to say...twice.  :)
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #67 on: July 17, 2009, 11:16:28 AM »

Good Afternoon!

While I was out earlier, I stopped in to check in on DR elmore.  He's still dealing with quite a bit of discomfort, but he's moving around (his apartment) more than he was yesterday. He's trying his best to get his work done while dealing with the "distraction" of his pain, and since he has to get some of that work done, I'm pretty sure that explains his current errant and truantness here.  Hopefully, he'll finally hear back from his doctor and x-ray tech this afternoon, as well as get his pharmacy to deliver his meds.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #68 on: July 17, 2009, 11:19:07 AM »

So I'll continue watching and writing up THE LOVE BOAT today. Even if THE TOWERING INFERNO comes (and there has been no UPS truck so far this morning), I'll finish up with THE LOVE BOAT today (if I'm not overtaken by a diabetic attack due to its overly sticky sweetness).

Just what is the running time of each episode of "The Love Boat"? -Since there weren't so many commercials back then.

*And are you watching some of them back to back with "Fantasy Island" for that complete Saturday night TV line-up experience?  ;)  -Or were they on Friday night?
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #69 on: July 17, 2009, 11:36:14 AM »

Hmmm.. Tonight's free concert in Central Park presented by the New York Philharmonic will be featuring baritone, Nathan Gunn, singing Copland's "Old American Songs". Hmmm... I think I may have to dig out my blanket and picnic basket.  -Mahler's First Symphony is filling out the program too!
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #70 on: July 17, 2009, 11:53:24 AM »

Back from some errands and shall now finesse liner notes and get them sent to the designer.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #71 on: July 17, 2009, 12:43:01 PM »

...And now that I've packed my umbrella, I'm off to Central Park.

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #72 on: July 17, 2009, 12:43:45 PM »

Good Afternoon!

While I was out earlier, I stopped in to check in on DR elmore.  He's still dealing with quite a bit of discomfort, but he's moving around (his apartment) more than he was yesterday. He's trying his best to get his work done while dealing with the "distraction" of his pain, and since he has to get some of that work done, I'm pretty sure that explains his current errant and truantness here.  Hopefully, he'll finally hear back from his doctor and x-ray tech this afternoon, as well as get his pharmacy to deliver his meds.

Thank you for the update.  I've been thinking how much he would prefer my little leg pain to his.

LEG HEALING VIBES FOR DR ELMORE!!!

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #73 on: July 17, 2009, 12:48:21 PM »

CONTINUED VIBES FOR BILL, DBIL OF DR GINNY!!!

Ginny

« Reply #74 on: July 17, 2009, 12:51:27 PM »

Thank you, DR Jane!

All 3 daughters posted on Facebook about an hour ago that he's in recovery after triple by-pass and everything seems to be going well.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ginny

« Reply #75 on: July 17, 2009, 12:52:24 PM »

DR Jose - thank you for checking on DR Elmore and giving us a report.  I'd sent him an email earlier and have been concerned.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Laura

« Reply #76 on: July 17, 2009, 01:07:05 PM »

Good news, Ginny.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #77 on: July 17, 2009, 01:19:48 PM »

So I'll continue watching and writing up THE LOVE BOAT today. Even if THE TOWERING INFERNO comes (and there has been no UPS truck so far this morning), I'll finish up with THE LOVE BOAT today (if I'm not overtaken by a diabetic attack due to its overly sticky sweetness).

Just what is the running time of each episode of "The Love Boat"? -Since there weren't so many commercials back then.

*And are you watching some of them back to back with "Fantasy Island" for that complete Saturday night TV line-up experience?  ;)  -Or were they on Friday night?

The regular episodes run a tiny bit over 49 minutes.

And no, no FANTASY ISLAND episodes are included in the review box nor do I have any on hand here to supplement what I'm watching.

Frankly, if I hadn't been off for two weeks, I wouldn't have reviewed THE LOVE BOAT. CBS/Paramount sent it to me for review, and since I didn't have anything else, I went ahead and did it. If I had been swamped like I usually am, I would have offered other reviewers on the site a chance to review it. (I'm not sure anyone would have taken me up on it.)
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #78 on: July 17, 2009, 01:20:26 PM »

And, no, THE LOVE BOAT was a Saturday night staple.

Matt H.

« Reply #79 on: July 17, 2009, 01:21:34 PM »

I watched last night's ROYAL PAINS while I ate lunch. Pretty good episode. Again, the MacGyver aspects of his job are always interesting and fun.

Matt H.

« Reply #80 on: July 17, 2009, 01:23:22 PM »

I watched three more LOVE BOAT episodes.

The first had Fannie Flagg and Gene Rayburn, both dog lovers, romancing. Debbie Allen led poor Ted Lange on and then broke his heart by choosing her old boy friend over him. Dennis Cole also guest starred in the episode.

Someone on the regular cast/crew always seems to fall in love with someone making the voyage.

Matt H.

« Reply #81 on: July 17, 2009, 01:24:54 PM »

In the second one I watched, it was Gavin McLeod's turn to fall, this time for Samantha Eggar. Arthur Godfrey and Minnie Pearl were an item (I know!), and their children Elinor Donahue and Warren Berlinger objected (of course, they fell in love with each other, too).

Matt H.

« Reply #82 on: July 17, 2009, 01:29:04 PM »

In the one I just finished, Lauren Tewes fell for Paul Burke in a May-December romance. Arlene Dahl and Leslie Nielsen battled and fell in love while their children including Mark Shera also fell for each other. (Note a recurring pattern on the show.)

Biggest shock on this one was a thirteen year old boy who also had a crush on Lauren. Turns out the young actor's name was Patrick Labyorteaux who went on to star in all those seasons of JAG when he grew up. I knew he looked familiar, but I couldn't place him until I saw that unusual name, and then I knew exactly who he was.

Matt H.

« Reply #83 on: July 17, 2009, 01:30:02 PM »

I had time to watch the Phillip scenes and the Adam scenes on today's THE YOUNG AND THE RESTLESS. Phillip's son Chance looked spectacular in that army uniform!

Matt H.

« Reply #84 on: July 17, 2009, 01:30:47 PM »

Then I skimmed through today's AS THE WORLD TURNS. Nothing of interest, but Luke/Noah was in the previews for next week.

Laura

« Reply #85 on: July 17, 2009, 01:33:16 PM »

Did you get to review this Love Boat episode?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qaNIVbUvNs
« Last Edit: July 17, 2009, 01:37:53 PM by Laura »

Matt H.

« Reply #86 on: July 17, 2009, 01:42:48 PM »

I also have last night's THE LISTENER to watch. I know the pilot did not get good reviews. But i really like it. The lead guy is very good. AND it's always very interesting to watch.

Just read that NBC has canceled airing the show's remaining five episodes. They will be shown on-line but not on the network. Since it's a Canadian show, you can probably find it somewhere else.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #87 on: July 17, 2009, 01:44:59 PM »

Liner notes are finished and sent, as are the track titles (this release involves two complete scores and a bonus track from a third - all interrelated). 

Kerry

« Reply #88 on: July 17, 2009, 01:54:33 PM »

Thank you, DR Jane!
All 3 daughters posted on Facebook about an hour ago that he's in recovery after triple by-pass and everything seems to be going well.

Hooray!
I like boat races.

DAW

« Reply #89 on: July 17, 2009, 02:01:46 PM »

Good news, DR Ginny!!!!     :)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9   Go Up