Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: SUB-HUMAN CREEPS  (Read 17524 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
SUB-HUMAN CREEPS
« on: July 21, 2009, 12:17:14 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, the notes exposed the sub-human creeps for what they are, and now it is time for you to post until the sub-cow cows come home.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re: SUB-HUMAN CREEPS
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2009, 12:18:26 AM »

And the word of the day is: NYCTALOPIA!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2009, 12:22:41 AM »

And without further ado - the new Kritzerland release.  You know the drill - if you want to pre-pre order this title, simply go to paypal.com and use our paypal address of kritzerland at adelphia dot net.  It's 19.98 plus 3.75 shipping.  We're officially announcing on Friday and I'm hoping this will move quickly.

“SHUT UP AND DEAL”

Kritzerland is proud to present its newest limited edition CD – the original motion picture soundtracks from two classic Billy Wilder/Jack Lemmon films, The Apartment and The Fortune Cookie.   

In 1959, Billy Wilder (along with co-writer I.A.L. Diamond) made movie history with one of the funniest films ever made – Some Like It Hot.  In that film, Jack Lemmon gave a brilliant performance as Jerry/Daphne.  The following year, Wilder and Lemmon struck gold again, this time with The Apartment, a funny, rueful, biting comedy/drama, completely unlike Some Like It Hot.  The film also starred Shirley MacLaine, Fred MacMurray, and Jack Kruschen.  It was a huge success, and garnered an incredible ten Academy Award nominations (including one for Lemmon), and won five, including Best Picture.  Adolph Deutsch, an underrated and really terrific composer, wrote the wonderful and popular score.  However, the score’s well-known main theme was, in fact, by Charles Williams, a British composer, and had been used years earlier in an English film.  That theme, entitled “Jealous Lover” was made so popular by the film that the publisher agreed to re-name it “Theme From The Apartment.”   The music served the film perfectly, and the soundtrack album was hugely popular, as was the Ferrante and Teicher version of the theme.   

A few years later, Wilder and Lemmon re-teamed for their fourth film together, The Fortune Cookie, a very funny and, at times, oddly touching film.  Mr. Lemmon turned in another great performance, and this was the breakout film for his co-star, Walter Matthau, who won a well-deserved Oscar for his performance as the deviously devious Whiplash Willie Gingrich (Lemmon and Matthau would, of course, go on to make screen history as The Odd Couple).   For The Fortune Cookie, the composer was Andre Previn, also doing his fourth Wilder film (after One, Two, Three, Irma La Douce, and Kiss Me, Stupid) – in fact, The Fortune Cookie would be Mr. Previn’s last original Hollywood film score.  And what a score it is – sly, beautiful, moody, funny – it has it all.  In fact, it gives the film a surprising depth, and is just further proof of what an amazing film composer Mr. Previn was. 

The Apartment and The Fortune Cookie were previously released on CD only as part of a very big and very expensive box set called The MGM SoundtrackTreasury from Film Score Monthly – that set sold out very quickly, so for people who missed it, or may have wanted only one or two scores, it was a lost opportunity.  Therefore, we’re very pleased to bring out this single release of two of the best scores in the set.  We’ve also added a bonus track from the Wilder/Lemmon film, Irma La Douce – the great Andre Previn main title music, which incorporates all the major themes from the film (both by Mr. Previn, and his adaptation of Marguerite Monnot’s music from the original stage musical).

Opening The Fortune Cookie, your fortune is – this CD will give you much pleasure, listening-wise. 

This release is limited to 1000 copies only.  The price is $19.98 plus shipping.

CDs will ship in late August or the beginning of September – however, preorders placed directly through Kritzerland usually ship one to five weeks earlier (we’ve been averaging four weeks early). 

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2009, 12:29:14 AM »

Ordered! ;D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2009, 12:36:12 AM »

Here's a Topic of the Day suggestion (I think we may have had this or something like it, but too bad):  when something bad happens, or you're in a funk, feeling blue, etc., etc., etc....what do you do to make yourself feel better?

I like to listen to music...specifically The Manhattan Transfer!  I love them and have seen them in concert eight times.  Technically, nine:  I saw two sets in one night...and I paid twice for them, too.

Anyone else?
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2009, 12:39:14 AM »

I take a hot shower and wash it off - but that didn't work tonight.  By the time I get up, I hope to be done with it.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2009, 12:43:40 AM »

Welcome six GUESTS.

George

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2009, 12:56:31 AM »

And now, I must go to bed.  Good night BK.  I hope today is much, much, much (that's three muches) better for you than it was yesterday.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2009, 01:07:52 AM »

Here's a Topic of the Day suggestion (I think we may have had this or something like it, but too bad):  when something bad happens, or you're in a funk, feeling blue, etc., etc., etc....what do you do to make yourself feel better?

What I like to do is jump into a hot Jacuzzi and soak it away. We had a nice four-seater in Long Beach, but it was too big to move and Delaware is not climate conducive to outdoor spas. To compensate, I had a big indoor tub/Jacuzzi installed in the house - even had to make the bathroom bigger just so it would fit. The contractor was to either install a double size water heater, or add a second heater for the tub. He did neither! So we have a very pricey tub in the bathroom that drains the hot water heater before it has enough water to cover the jets. In desperation we turned on all eight burners of the stove and heated pots of water, but that took forever. You can fill the tub until the heater is empty, turn on the bathroom ceiling heater to try and hold the temperature, then wait a half hour or so for the water heater to fill again. Once the tub is full, the in-line heater in the recirculater will hold the temperature. The utility cost for this luxury is really steep and the aggravation makes the tub basically unusable (except to hold pots of new greenery).

Which is why sometimes I have the disposition of the fabled Hippogater.

der Brucer

We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

DAW

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2009, 01:07:56 AM »

CONGRATULATIONS to DR Sam on her lofty new perch in the HHW firmament!!     :D

DAW

« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2009, 01:08:20 AM »

DR Jane - So sorry to hear about the loss of your friend.   My condolences.

DAW

« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2009, 01:17:02 AM »

I keep meaning to make some time to check out all the Kritzerland YouTube videos, but I don't think it's gonna happen today or tomorrow...     :(

DAW

« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2009, 01:18:36 AM »

We are finally getting the rain here.

DAW

« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2009, 01:19:24 AM »

DR dB - have you at least inquired how much it would cost to switch out your water heater?  It's a shame you can't use the jacuzzi.      :(

DAW

« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2009, 01:20:28 AM »

TOD:

Reading, or taking a walk with the dog, or listening to favorite music.  Or logging in to HHW.

DAW

« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2009, 01:27:41 AM »

I am so relieved...

The toilet on the space station was fixed!

DAW

« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2009, 01:31:00 AM »

;)

DAW

« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2009, 01:32:06 AM »

Patrick & David Cassidy:

DAW

« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2009, 01:33:20 AM »

“That’s The Way It Was,” an hourlong CBS News special honoring Walter Cronkite, delivered network television’s largest audience in prime time on Sunday, as 7.4 million viewers tuned in during the 7 o’clock hour

Michael

« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2009, 05:19:54 AM »

Great vibes to BK today.

I've hide my gps in the arm rest when I'm not using it. It's a pain, but out of sight no temptation.
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2009, 05:21:24 AM »

DR Jane

Sorry to hear about the loss of your friend
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2009, 05:24:25 AM »

Just heard a major tropical depression is on its way. That means a lot of rain. I hope it arrives after I leave on my brief trip on Thursday.
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2009, 05:33:07 AM »

TOPIC OF THE DAY SUGGESTIONS

Favorite Walter Matthau films

Have you ever been robbed or had items stolen from you?

Never stop dreaming.

Laura

« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2009, 05:38:50 AM »

I woke up at 5 a.m. to the sound of blessed RAIN.

DAW

« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2009, 05:39:34 AM »

:D

Michael

« Reply #25 on: July 21, 2009, 05:41:09 AM »

TOPIC OF THE DAY SUGGESTIONS

Favorite Walter Matthau films

Have you ever been robbed or had items stolen from you?

WM

Hopscotch
The Sunshine Boys
Charley Varrick
The Taking of Pelham of 123
Charade
California Suite
Never stop dreaming.

DAW

« Reply #26 on: July 21, 2009, 05:46:49 AM »

And now, for your mental delectation, the lyrics to my two elementary school songs, which popped into my head this morning for no known reason.  At Honeyhill Elementary School, we sang one of them each morning on alternating days.

Up on a hill where the honeybees roam,
There is a school not far from home.
Honeyhill's its name-
I think it's grand-
It is the best school that is in our land.

Not exactly Sondheim, is it?

We are very proud of Honeyhill
Our challenging work we do.
The good teachers we salute;
Our complaints are very few.

Our school is very beautiful,
But it's not the outside that counts.
It's the quality of the work we do.
And every year it mounts.

We also sang the Pledge of Allegiance each morning as well, but that's a story for another day.     :)

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #27 on: July 21, 2009, 05:51:16 AM »

And the word of the day is: NYCTALOPIA!

And The Song Of The Day Is:  IN THE STILL OF THE NIGHT

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #28 on: July 21, 2009, 05:54:10 AM »

Favorite Walter Matthau Movies:

The Sunshine Boys
Charley Varrick
The Taking of Pelham of 123
Charade
California Suite
House Calls
You can dream…or you can do.

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #29 on: July 21, 2009, 06:01:09 AM »

Years ago, I was at a Golden Globes function at the Ambassador Hotel.  This was at the time that HELLO, DOLLY was filming.

It was "known" in the industry that Walter Matthau and Barbra Streisand were not getting along on/off the set.

Matthau was at this affair, talking to some people.  After awhile, Streisand made her entrance

Matthau did a total about face; never looked at her the rest of the evening.
You can dream…or you can do.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Up