Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Down

Author Topic: GAY MADCAP SPRITES  (Read 47009 times)

td

• td
Re:GAY MADCAP SPRITES
« Reply #180 on: March 26, 2004, 07:52:22 PM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]~~~~MINX  SENDS  GOOD  VIBES  TO  HER  FELLOW CANINES~~~~[/move]
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

td

• td
« Reply #181 on: March 26, 2004, 07:53:24 PM »

[move=right,scroll,6,transparent,100%]! ! ! NEW PAGE! ! ! [/move]
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Michael

« Reply #182 on: March 26, 2004, 08:03:39 PM »

Well Well Well
Never stop dreaming.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #183 on: March 26, 2004, 08:04:18 PM »

I watched the laserdisc of Al Jolson's THE SINGING FOOL tonight. A year after THE JAZZ SINGER and Warners was still making part talkies.

But I sure do love "There's a Rainbow 'Round My Shoulder." In fact, when Al re-recorded all his hits in the 1940s for Decca, that's the version of the song that I much prefer.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #184 on: March 26, 2004, 08:14:40 PM »

Oh, I just read that character actress Jan Sterling died today. I loved her in THE HIGH AND THE MIGHTY and FEMALE ON THE BEACH.

:(

Michael

« Reply #185 on: March 26, 2004, 08:16:51 PM »

Do people think Al Jolson was a good performer or how we see him in the later part of his career (30-50) he was just a character of himself like Newly, Davis Jr, Martin, Sinatra became. Or did his film roles really capture a master showman at work?
Never stop dreaming.

Matt H.

« Reply #186 on: March 26, 2004, 08:32:39 PM »

The movies at the period of his peak performing power, I think, were too primitive to catch best what he had to offer, but allegedly in person, he overwhelmed you with his passion for performing.

As I mentioned earlier, in the 1940s when he re-recorded his old songs for Decca, his voice had lowered, and I found his vocalizing more appealing.

MBarnum

« Reply #187 on: March 26, 2004, 08:36:00 PM »

Oh, I just read that character actress Jan Sterling died today. I loved her in THE HIGH AND THE MIGHTY and FEMALE ON THE BEACH.

:(

That is very sad. Keith Andes mentions in his interview about how much he enjoyed working with Jan Sterling in SPLIT SECOND. She sounded like she would have been a lot of fun!

I had heard that she was living at the Motion Picture Country Home recently, so I wondered how her health was.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #188 on: March 26, 2004, 08:36:15 PM »

Obsessing, Noel?
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Robin

« Reply #189 on: March 26, 2004, 08:36:35 PM »

Do people think Al Jolson was a good performer or how we see him in the later part of his career (30-50) he was just a character of himself like Newly, Davis Jr, Martin, Sinatra became. Or did his film roles really capture a master showman at work?

Well, I'd take umbrage at even the suggestion that Sinatra became a parody of himself, if I were the umbrage-taking type, which I'm most certainly not.  Sinatra's career had a number of phases.  Some I like more than others.  His final albums, the two "Duets" discs, were just a bad idea from the get-go, and even being a hardcore Sinatraphile, I have a difficult time listening to them.
Mankind needs God...like fish need bicycles!

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #190 on: March 26, 2004, 09:06:25 PM »

Obsessing, Noel?

Yes, now that I've been alerted that I make misstatements constantly, I've been reading old posts to see where people were kind enough to correct me.

DR Panni - Still waiting to hear about Kossuth and why there's a statue of him near my home.
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #191 on: March 26, 2004, 09:26:50 PM »

DR Panni - Still waiting to hear about Kossuth and why there's a statue of him near my home.
Once again proving my theory that Hungarians are responsible for everything that's significant in the affairs of the world...

"All for the People and All by the People;
Nothing About the People Without the People -
That is Democracy!"
Spoken before the Ohio State Legislature,
February 16, 1852

The speech from which the above is taken was given over a decade before Lincoln's "for the people, by the people" speech at Gettysburg in 1863. Kossuth was the first foreign Statesman officially invited to the US since the Marquis de Lafayette.  His upcoming speech in the Congress of the United States made the pre-civil war joint house nervous due to his democratic views on equality of all men. Kossuth learned English while in prison and exile and spoke to half the population of the US who enthusiastically greeted and flocked to hear him. Despite Hungary's epic struggle and Kossuth's brave and noble efforts, the US, the "Bastion of Democracy" turned him away, empty handed.  Hungary was alone again in its fight for democracy in 1956, and didn't gain freedom until 1989.

Kossuth (pronounced co-shoot) was Governor of Hungary during fight for independence and democracy which was eventually defeated by the union of the royalist Austrian Habsburg and Russian Czarist Armies (1848 - 1849). Kossuth envisioned a federation in the Kingdom of Hungary in which all nationalties participated in a vibrant democratic system based on fundamental democratic principles such as equality and parliamentary representation.  The bloody conflict eventually led to a partial victory for Hungary - a great compromise known as the "Austro-Hungarian Empire," in which Hungary gained some autonomy.

Today, there are many reminders of Kossuth's impact on America. There is a Kossuth County in the state of Iowa, a town with his name in Indiana, Ohio and Mississippi, and a settlement with a Kossuth Post Office is in Pennsylvania. In addition, there are three Kossuth statues in the US: New York, Cleveland and Washington. The Hungarian Reformed Federation's building on Dupont Circle, in Washington, DC is called Kossuth House with a memorial plaque commemorating his speech on democracy.

Ralph Waldo Emerson said in greeting Kossuth on his arrival at Concord, MA, May 11, 1852,

"[we] have been hungry to see the man whose extraordinary eloquence is seconded by the splendor and the solidity of his actions."

Kossuth even spawned a fashion craze (moustache-less beard with TopHat) in the ever trendy US. His statue now sits proudly in the US Capitol - it reads, "Father of Hungarian Democracy"

Excerpted fro

http://hipcat.hungary.org/users/hipcat/kossuth.htm
« Last Edit: March 26, 2004, 09:31:44 PM by Panni »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #192 on: March 26, 2004, 09:30:01 PM »

Sad news about Jan Sterling.  She was at the last Ray Courts show and did not look good.  I had the pleasure of sitting next to her at one of my cousins Passover dinners about ten years ago.  She was great, and I told her that she'd said my favorite line of dialogue in Ace in the Hole ("I don't pray - kneeling bags my nylons").

Back from a splendidly splendid supper with Mr. Charles Pogue.  I think we both veered from our respective diets a bit, and that's just fine - one has to do it every now and then.   We then went back to Casa Pogue and I gave him a brief tutorial on loading photos to the site, so he should be able to do so very soon.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #193 on: March 26, 2004, 09:53:24 PM »

BK, great time at Musso's.  Glad to get my KRITZER TIME, KRITZER TIME album, assorted goodies, laughs, and general good time.  If I have done this right, you should now be seeing my scowling mug everytime I post.  Night, all!

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #194 on: March 26, 2004, 09:54:19 PM »

By the by, td, thanks for properly sizing this for me.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #195 on: March 26, 2004, 10:07:23 PM »

Yes, the Pogue mug.  It worked!  Now, let's get some late-night denizens in here.

It was sad to see the Pogue dog Cully, now blind, bumping into walls.  Such a sweet, cute dog.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #196 on: March 26, 2004, 10:29:27 PM »

Evening all!  Spent the evening with my sister who's recovering from some minor but inconvienient foot surgery.  She wanted us to watch Barbershop.  At first I rolled my eyes and then thought that I'd just stick it out until her percocets set in and I could slip out.  But as it turned out I found it to be a wonderful little movie.  A very talented cast, some nice direction, a few scenes a little too handheavily written but overall funny and sweet.  I think this film could easily be developed into a weekly TV series (but only if Cedric the Entertainer signs on.)
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Panni

« Reply #197 on: March 26, 2004, 10:38:44 PM »

Dan de man - A sequel to BARBERSHOP is coming out.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #198 on: March 26, 2004, 10:39:24 PM »

My allergies are really doing me in and the damn Claritin D isn't doing anything for the first time since I started taking it.

Panni

« Reply #199 on: March 26, 2004, 10:42:24 PM »

FS Pogue - I like the photo. Very "Angry Young Man." Very "Don't Fool With This Writer if You Know What's Good for You."

Sorry to hear that old Cully is bumping into walls and such.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2004, 10:44:22 PM by Panni »

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #200 on: March 26, 2004, 10:51:41 PM »

Dan de man - A sequel to BARBERSHOP is coming out.

Yep.  This is the one with Queen Latifah, which I think is supposed to be a sort of prequel to her own Beauty Parlor movie (don't quote me on that title, though.)

Okay, I'm wussburgering out here.  I keep nodding off and my head is hitting the keyboard.  
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #201 on: March 26, 2004, 10:54:15 PM »

In a case of eerie coincidence, Miss Jan Sterling had been scheduled to appear at the Egyptian Theatre this evening following the screening of Ace in the Hole, which kicked off their "Not on Video" mini-festival.  

(Dear BK and Dear Reader Charles Pogue:  Were you even aware of what was being projected onto the silver screen across the street from your dinner rendezvous?)

You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Panni

« Reply #202 on: March 26, 2004, 10:55:44 PM »

HEALING VIBES TO MR. BK!

Panni

« Reply #203 on: March 26, 2004, 11:05:29 PM »

Turns out my daughter didn't have food poisoning, but possibly some virus she picked up on her recent travels to Hungary.
She was feeling really "spacey" and dizzy all day and finally went to get checked out. They ruled out various very serious things, but discovered in one of the tests they did that when she gets up after lying down, her blood pressure plummets and her heart beat goes way up -- or something abnormal of that sort. This combined with a fever and some other symptoms led to the ubiquitous virus diagnosis. Of course, they have no idea what it could be and told her to go to the University Health Services if it's not better by Monday. And return at once if it gets worse.
I told her to think Wheel of Fortune and will (or wheel) herself to good health. (Meanwhile, I won't get any decent sleep. Does being a parent ever get any easier?)
Vibes wouldn't hurt.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2004, 11:09:44 PM by Panni »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #204 on: March 26, 2004, 11:15:38 PM »

I wish I'd known about Ace in the Hole.  I do have a rather great copy taped off cable which I transfered to DVD.

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #205 on: March 26, 2004, 11:17:19 PM »

Healing vibes to Panni's darling daughter

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~[/move]

who impressed me on the night before Christmas
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

Panni

« Reply #206 on: March 26, 2004, 11:21:59 PM »

From an item about THE MOUSETRAP:

The surviving members of the original "Mousetrap" cast were re-united on Friday to celebrate the classic Agatha Christie whodunnit.

"She was quite remarkable. She was like Steven Spielberg. Certain people have a nose for what the public is interested in," Oscar-winning director Richard Attenborough told Reuters, reflecting on Christie's classic murder mystery set in an English country house.

On the first night of the play's pre-London run in the provinces, Attenborough was far from convinced it would succeed. Christie was.
He recalled: "She poked her head over the balcony of the hotel where we were staying and said 'Darlings, I don't know what the hell you are fussing about. I think we should get quite a nice little run out of it."'

Panni

« Reply #207 on: March 26, 2004, 11:24:05 PM »

Thank you, Noel!

Panni

« Reply #208 on: March 26, 2004, 11:27:41 PM »

I'd love to see ACE IN THE HOLE again. I ran across it some time ago purely by accident on TV. Knew absolutely nothing about the film and started to watch, intending to just spend a few minutes with it. Needless to say I watched the whole thing and was blown away.

Panni

« Reply #209 on: March 26, 2004, 11:28:38 PM »

What is this? A PPF? (Panni Posting Frenzy?)
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Up