Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: DISTRACTED  (Read 19015 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re: DISTRACTED
« Reply #60 on: August 03, 2009, 09:47:18 AM »

I decided that if I'm going to jog it will be after the dentist.  I'm just not in the mood right now, and I had to put labels on boxes, so that they're ready to address later or in the morning.

Kerry

« Reply #61 on: August 03, 2009, 09:53:18 AM »

Does "What's My Line?" count as a reality show?  If it does, I'll choose that!
I like boat races.

Kerry

« Reply #62 on: August 03, 2009, 09:53:37 AM »

Page 3 dance!
I like boat races.

Kerry

« Reply #63 on: August 03, 2009, 09:54:19 AM »

I need to talk with printer salesmen this week. I think I would prefer to jump into a tank full of sharks.

I think they are one and the same!
I like boat races.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #64 on: August 03, 2009, 09:54:19 AM »

Speaking of "Big Brother":

SPOILERS

SPOILERS

Xlkdj ;lkj kjlk jajfkj aslkj a;lkj a; lskjf ;lkja;glkj ;lkjkj sgfjklafdsr; klajf;glkj qrgjh;lkj;lk jkj fdsk l  fsdkljad sflkjadflk;ja ;lkj l think the current season is fairly entertaining.  It was an interesting concept to have four cliques as you might have in high school.  They cast it well, but I loathe (yes, there is that word again in today's postings) Jesse this season.  He seems to believe he's 'in charge'. 

I find it amusing that talk in last night's televised show centered around putting up Kevin and Lydia because, as Jesse and Natalie would claim, they've just been coasting.  I wracked my brain trying to figure out what Natalie has done that is any different from what Kevin has done.  And gosh...I can't think of a thing except she's crawled as far up Jesse's butt as she can go.  Neither she nor the loathsome (!!!!) Chima has done a thing but hang around Jesse and Russell.  That's what they consider "playing the game", I suppose.  Lydia has been maneuvering and spying and lying and conniving almost as much as, but nowhere near as successfully as, Ronnie.   Chima is one of most ludicrous-looking women I've ever seen on TV.  Her makeup is in very laugh-out-loud BAD TASTE.  Except for being HOH twice, and having to nominate people for eviction, I can't think of a thing Jesse has done, either, except sit around with his cronies and bitch about everyone else.  Just what, exactly, constitutes "playing" as opposed to "coasting"?  Kevin has voted with Jesse (and Natalie and Russell and Chima) every time, so he's actually been on "their team" the whole time, doing their bidding.

I am not a fan of Russell's, but I have hopes that he is not as retarded as I thought.  I'm very intrigued that it was he who proposed an alliance with Jeff.  I think this bears watching.  It may be ve VERY  interesting. My favorites are Jeff and Jordan.  Michelle is a close second.  Russell would be next on the strength of the lastest developments.  After that, I don't care.  Natalie, Jesse, Chima and Lydia are tiresome.  Kevin is ... something else.  What a sad sack of potatoes he is.  Haven't quite made my mind up about him, but thus far he's the one player doing NOTHING but being weird.

I want Jeff to get the "Coup d'Etat" power.  I've voted for him about 35 times.  I think it's really funny that Ronnie thinks he will be America's choice.  Who knows....they actually might.  After all...America chose Taylor Hicks and Jordin Sparks and Fantasia over much better singers in "American Idol".

End SPOILAGE

« Last Edit: August 03, 2009, 10:02:15 AM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #65 on: August 03, 2009, 09:55:35 AM »

While it may have aired live when it was new, I think it's classified more properly as a "game" show.  Even though some of the current "reality" shows also have prizes and are games, we never had to learn about the private, personal lives and eccentricities of the judges or contestants.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ginny

« Reply #66 on: August 03, 2009, 10:02:46 AM »

watching a film get made is like watching grass grow.

Agreed. While it may seem glamorous and exciting to be on a movie or television set it is mostly hurry up and wait and excruciatingly boring. I've been on both movie and television sets and they are great places to catch up on your reading or finish up business like balancing your checkbook or talking with friends (when you're not on the set).

Sounds like court.

Or the ICU waiting room, where we are now with John's youngest daughter, Lauren.  They are waiting for a doctor to decide if he needs platelets before doing today's procedure.  We're prepared to stay - everyone's equipped with computers, reading material, etc.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #67 on: August 03, 2009, 10:45:03 AM »

You're the top
You're Mariah's Glitter.
You're the top
Of my list on Twitter.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #68 on: August 03, 2009, 11:13:05 AM »

TOD:

I would like to be a contestant on THE AMAZIN' RACE, also.  If I understood fashion and could sew better, I wouldn't mind being on PROJECT RUNWAY (I always wanted to see if one could make an evening gown out of pot holders.)

As for visiting a current TV show's set, I go along with the LOST crowd primarily to (hopefully) catch one of Matthew Fox's skinny-dipping parties.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #69 on: August 03, 2009, 11:20:14 AM »

You're the top!
You're a foot that's cubic!
You're the top!
You're the cube of Rubik!
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #70 on: August 03, 2009, 11:24:35 AM »

And just because I don't think I should be the only one who has watched this clip and suffered (not for the faint of heart...)
-- Anaïs Nin

MBarnum

« Reply #71 on: August 03, 2009, 11:27:08 AM »

I would love to be on THE AMAZING RACE,  but my racing partner woudl surely kill me, as I would always want to stop and chat with the locals or sight see or eat.

MBarnum

« Reply #72 on: August 03, 2009, 11:35:53 AM »

I am very curious how many of the people here who detest "reality" shows, actually have ever watched any, and what do they consider to be "reality shows."

I myself have no problem being a fan of what I would consider "reality competition shows" which really are just game shows.

To flat out hate or detest "reality shows" seems to be very small minded, to me. I can certainly understand if you are not drawn towards these shows, like I am not drawn towards certain types of programs, but I would never say that I hate Shakespear or loathe CSI: Miami and it's ilk or detest soap operas.

This "reality" genre has been around since the beginning of television from QUEEN FOR A DAY to BEAT THE CLOCK to HOW TO BE A MILLIONAIRE to SURVIVOR. REAL PEOPLE, THE REAL WORLD, CANDID CAMERA...all of that you hate? I just don't understand this attitude.  It is like now when I talk people who "hate" anything in black and white or hate musicals.

I just think it is so much nicer if people keep an open mind to things, and it always shocks me so when HHWers do this.

Ok, I'm off of my soapbox and shall have another cup of Chock Full O Nuts coffee.

MBarnum

« Reply #73 on: August 03, 2009, 11:41:39 AM »

As for TV sets I would like to visit, frankly any set would be fun, for me. Even during the down time I could chat with performers or technichians. I have always had a fascination for filmmaking and had things in my life been different, I would have gone into a behind the scenes profession.

Of course DR JoseP and I are still planning to open the Bi-Coastal casting agency.

MBarnum

« Reply #74 on: August 03, 2009, 11:42:56 AM »

RLP, I did not watch last nights Big Brother episode, so I skipped your message just in case, but I had been wondering if you were watching this season. I do always enjoy you thoughts on the contestants.

MBarnum

« Reply #75 on: August 03, 2009, 11:46:17 AM »

we never had to learn about the private, personal lives and eccentricities of the judges or contestants.

And you know, I think that is why I find many of these "reality" game shows so intriguing as I am always wanting to know more about the contestants. When I was recording episodes of THE NAME'S THE SAME and WHAT'S MY LINE I would often look up the contestants on Ancestry.com or Google and see if they were still alive, etc. A couple of times I even contacted relatives of the contestant to find out if they needed a recording of their mom or dad's episode. I just have this curiosity about people and love to know more about them.

Ben

« Reply #76 on: August 03, 2009, 12:08:28 PM »

Not that I watch them with any regularity but I don't consider "game shows" to be hard core reality shows. They have changed over the years to become more "real" but I don't hold them to the same level of disgust that I hold the other shows.

I find shows like Survivor, Big Brother, Real Housewives of ..., Flipped, etc. to be vile and a sad reflection of the dumbing down of American (or the world because they are just as popular in other countries) society. I don't need to watch a full episode of Real Housewives or Survivor or one of the other hard core shows to know that the genre will not grow on me and I'll become a fan. I've seen previews and segments of these programs and find the people so repulsive and ugly (inside soul kind of ugly, and yes, I know it's editing) that I can't imagine watching these vultures for a full half hour or hour or 90 minutes. To reward this kind of venal, hateful behavior with hundreds of thousands of dollars repulses me. If people choose to watch this stuff that's a choice they make. I choose not to watch it and I'm not being close minded just because I find the man on Big Brother who throws around the word "faggot" as a weapon to be a hateful sod. The fact that it wasn't broadcast over the air makes no difference to me. We are glorifying these people as if they are important. We reward people for mean, manipulative backbiting, vulgar behavior. There is enough horrible activity going on in the world. I don't need to see Gordon Ramsay cursing at someone and vilifying them because they didn't do something he thought they should do. I will not apologize or water down my disgust at the content of these shows and what they have done to civil behavior in general!
« Last Edit: August 03, 2009, 12:11:03 PM by Ben »

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #77 on: August 03, 2009, 12:25:13 PM »

The only "reality" show that I would go on would not be any kind of contest or game show.  I would LOVE to be on "Kathy Griffin: My Life on the D-List," just to be able to meet Kathy! ;)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #78 on: August 03, 2009, 12:27:20 PM »

That said, I agree with what Ben said...not as strongly, but I have no interest in people being famous (and getting paid for it) just for the sake of being famous. 

At least Kathy Griffin is a stand-up comic and earns her money. :)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #79 on: August 03, 2009, 12:32:24 PM »

On Playbill.com, there's an article about the new Kritzerland CD, SHOW GIRL

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #80 on: August 03, 2009, 01:01:49 PM »

George-

How was Your Murder Mystery Evening?

George

« Reply #81 on: August 03, 2009, 01:08:28 PM »

George-

How was Your Murder Mystery Evening?

Well...it could've been better:

Last night, I went to a friend's house and played a murder mystery game.  We all had personae of actual people in the court of Queen Elizabeth I and I was Christopher Marlowe.  We each had secrets, we each had goals, we each had abilities, we all had to try and figure out who killed the cardinal and I had no clew as to what the heck was going on. :-\ Each person had so much to read and try to remember (a Fantasticks reference) that it all just went over my head.  Other friends of mine who were there also said that they've played murder mysteries with a lot more structure to the game...less back-story and knowledge of the time was necessary.  If they (my other friends) do a murder mystery night, I might try that, but otherwise, I don't think I have any interest in trying this again.

FJL

« Reply #82 on: August 03, 2009, 01:11:20 PM »

Would Murder Mystery Evening actually  make a good reality show?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #83 on: August 03, 2009, 01:12:18 PM »

Back from Dr. Chew.  I must say, the Novocain shot was the worst ever - he's really good, though, and pinches the cheek and moves it around while he's doing the injection, so at least he's good in the art of misdirection.  But he had the needle in there a long time and was moving it hithe and thither and even yon.  However, subsequent to that there was no pain anywhere while he drilled and filled the chipped tooth and put a temporary crown on it.  I'm quite numb right now.

Laura

« Reply #84 on: August 03, 2009, 01:18:42 PM »

I hate the novocain shots, but would never go without them. Our wonderful dentist retired, and I have not yet had work done by the young guy who bought the practice. Hopefully I never will need to.

Laura

« Reply #85 on: August 03, 2009, 01:19:12 PM »

I'm glad you came through the procedure ok, BK.

I survived the sharks this morning.

td

• td
« Reply #86 on: August 03, 2009, 01:20:10 PM »

My fortune cookie says, "Be unconventional, even visionary."
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

td

• td
« Reply #87 on: August 03, 2009, 01:22:35 PM »

I will be seeing the "invitational" final dress rehearsal of INTO THE WOODS at Pittsburgh's CLO this evening.  Reception:  6:15pm. 
Jennifer Cody and her hubby Hunter Foster are in the show, as is Beth Leavel.
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Laura

« Reply #88 on: August 03, 2009, 01:23:29 PM »

I told today's printer salesmen (I was surrounded by four) what our current company is offering us, so hopefully they can beat it. They must really want our business, because in the lobby there was a lit-up sign welcoming me by name.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #89 on: August 03, 2009, 01:27:01 PM »

I had a huge array of review discs come in today, and just when my muscle problems were at their worst! Isn't that always the way! At any rate, I had planned to take the day off, but seeing as four of the things that arrived today come out tomorrow, I knew I couldn't.

Thankfully, the one I chose was the least demanding on me. More about it later.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9   Go Up