Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: THE DAY OF REST THAT WASN'T  (Read 44325 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
THE DAY OF REST THAT WASN'T
« on: August 17, 2009, 12:19:02 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, the notes were, and now it is time for you to post until the rested cows come home.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re: THE DAY OF REST THAT WASN'T
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2009, 12:20:34 AM »

And the word of the day is: TRICHOLOGIST!

DAW

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2009, 12:22:54 AM »

***DENTAL VIBES***
for bk this morning!!!!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2009, 12:24:51 AM »

And here, as promised, is our new release announcement, for your eyes only.  I'm totally in love with this CD and I'm hoping it will appeal to many of you, given that half of it should be of interest to musical fans.  As always, if you'd like to get a jump on the pre-ordering (we'll be officially announcing on Thursday morning, and I'm expecting this to do very well), just pay directly via paypal.com to our paypal address of kritzerland at adelphia dot net.  It's the usual $19.98 plus 3.75 shipping.

“THERE WAS THIS REAL RELIGIOUS GIRL…”

Kritzerland is proud to present its newest limited edition –  a double bill of two never-before-released on CD soundtracks on one CD – 

Gaily, Gaily, music composed and conducted by Henry Mancini
The Night They Raided Minsky’s, music composed by Charles Strouse.

Gaily, Gaily is the 1968 film version of Ben Hecht’s fictional memoirs about coming of age in 1910 Chicago, and his beginnings as a journalist and author.  The film was directed by Norman Jewison (coming off an incredible run of hits with The Cincinnati Kid, The Russians Are Coming, The Russians Are Coming, In The Heat Of The Night, and The Thomas Crown Affair), and starred Beau Bridges, Brian Keith, Melina Mercouri, Hume Cronyn, and a very young Margot Kidder.  Henry Mancini provided the absolutely delightful score.  As was his wont back then, the album was a rerecording – it contains all the film’s themes, but not the actual film tracks.  The movie’s main theme, “Tomorrow Is My Friend,” is one of Mancini’s most beautiful and haunting melodies – it’s heard here in several variations, including a beautifully sung version by Jimmie Rodgers (the lyrics to this and the film’s other songs are by Marilyn and Alan Bergman).  The album also included a recitation by Melina Mercouri, accompanied by Mancini’s underscore.  As always, Mancini’s music is tuneful, memorable, and altogether wonderful.

The Night They Raided Minsky’s is the story of an innocent Amish girl who comes to New York in 1925, gets involved with a burlesque troupe at Minsky’s Burlesque, and inadvertently ends up inventing the striptease.  The film was directed by William Friedkin (his second, after the Sonny and Cher picture, Good Times), and starred Jason Robards, Norman Wisdom, Britt Eklund, Bert Lahr, and Harry Andrews.  It was a troubled film – Bert Lahr died during shooting, the first cut was, by all accounts, one of the worst first cuts in the history of film (so said David Picker, head of United Artists), Friedkin wasn’t around at all in post-production, and producer Norman Lear left the film in the hands of editor Ralph Rosenblum to fix.  It took Rosenblum a year, but fix it he did – restructuring scenes, shifting them around, using stock footage – he transformed Minsky’s from disaster into hit.  The score was by the great Charles Strouse, who’d written the Broadway shows Bye Bye Birdie, All-American, Golden Boy, and It’s A Bird, It’s A Plane, It’s Superman (he’d go on to write Applause, and the smash hit, Annie), as well as the score to the film Bonnie and Clyde.  With his lyricist, Lee Adams, he wrote several really clever and catchy songs for the film, as well as a bunch of clever and catchy themes to go with them.  It’s a wonderfully melodic score, and features vocals by Rudy Vallee, Dexter Maitland, Lillian Heyman, as well as the film’s stars, Jason Robards and Norman Wisdom.

It’s a tuneful, toe-tapping, and terrific double bill – the kinds of scores they simply don’t write anymore, by two great composers – Henry Mancini and Charles Strouse.

This release is limited to 1000 copies only.  The price is $19.98 plus shipping.

CDs will ship by the end of September – however, preorders placed directly through Kritzerland usually ship one to five weeks earlier (we’ve been averaging four weeks early).  To place an order, see the cover, or hear audio samples, just visit www.kritzerland.com.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2009, 12:41:42 AM »

First purchase!  Huzzah!!

;)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2009, 12:54:33 AM »

A Very Happy Birthday to DR S. Woody White!! ;D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2009, 12:55:36 AM »

BK, it's nice that you enjoyed your sixth grade reunion.  I never went to any of my high school reunions.  This year would've been 25 years.  I don't know if they had a reunion or not.  Anyway, it's not that I had a horrible experience or hated everyone in my class, but most of my friends were in choir (I had two choirs every semester for all four years), and most of them were in classes before or after me.  Very few friends of mine were from my class.  So, I don't really have a reason to go to the reunions. :-\

George

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2009, 12:59:18 AM »

Topic of the Day:  the only thing that I can think of that I had during high school that I still have is the wooden Rubik's cube that I made in wood shop.  My friend Andrew (one of my few friends from my class) had a Rubik's cube that he let me take apart.  I used the plastic middle piece from the middle and made the outside squares.  I didn't color them different colors for each side...I just left the wood its natural color. 

George

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2009, 01:03:15 AM »

I never got a seventh grade yearbook, but I still have my eighth grade and all four high school yearbooks.

George

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2009, 01:03:48 AM »

And to all, a good night. 8)

Ben

« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2009, 03:18:06 AM »

Happy Day to the Driver (that's Woody!)

Ben

« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2009, 03:18:42 AM »

I have my high school diploma. I don't think I have anything else. I have nothing from Junior High School.

DAW

« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2009, 04:14:39 AM »

HAPPIEST OF BIRTHDAYS
TO OUR VERY OWN DR SWW!!!!!!!!

Ginny

« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2009, 04:49:09 AM »

Monday morning greetings.  Unless I'm needed in Dayton today, I'm going to Cincinnati for another load of stuff from DS Rob's apartment.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ginny

« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2009, 04:50:06 AM »

Happy Birthday, DR SWW!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Michael

« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2009, 04:51:49 AM »

Happy Birthday to S Woody White
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2009, 04:55:02 AM »

TOD

I have absolutely nothing from my high school days. I have severed all connections to the school as they were painful years and the memories are still not happy ones. The school I attended was perfect it you were a WASP, but if you were Chinese, Black, French Canadian Jewish or Catholic you were picked on, beaten and ridiculed. The Jews and the Chinese were at the bottom of the list.
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2009, 04:57:05 AM »

The new cd is a buy especially for the Night They Raided Minsky's. I have found memories of that film. As a teenager it was the first film that I saw show a woman's boobs.
'
Never stop dreaming.

Ginny

« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2009, 05:31:16 AM »

DR Elmore - Richard and I did not attend the Christine Andreas concert.  It was Saturday night and, considering the day we'd had, I didn't think either of us was in the mood.  He didn't even realize we'd missed it until last night when he turned his calendar over for the new week.

td

• td
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2009, 05:34:55 AM »

Happy Natal Day S Woody White!
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2009, 05:37:13 AM »

Happy Birthday DR SWW.

Lovely card from the Vixter yesterday!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Laura

« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2009, 05:38:06 AM »

Happy Happy Birthday to DR SWoody White!

Laura

« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2009, 05:39:49 AM »

TOD: I have a small wooden box that contains items I collected while on hikes with the high school Hiking Club in my senior year. The Hiking Club was the only time I ever felt accepted. And the one person from my high school I ever cared enough to keep in touch with was from said club.

DAW

« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2009, 05:40:22 AM »

TOD:

I have a scrapbook/photo album of my high school musicals which I pull out and enjoy fairly frequently.

I do have somewhere a very small box of memorabilia from middle school and high school, stuff of a paper variety, which I haven't looked at in ages & ages.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2009, 05:40:44 AM »

New release preordered!

Now off to return costumes and pick up Molly's rental vehicle for the return to Seattle.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #25 on: August 17, 2009, 05:46:50 AM »

Good morning, all! I slept relatively well last night and I am off to Toyland to accomplish many things. Yesterday on Facebook I posted about the cheap shits at the Library of Congress and their lack of on-time payment that caused a panic among the copyists involved. I don't want to start a run on the bank, all I wanted to do was let the public know the Library has a crappy payment policy!

Well, I want a copy of the new soundtrack; I played myLP of "Minsky's" until it was transparent. I cannot do a thing about it before Wednesday or Thursday, if I get paid by PHI (who the hell knows at this point in my life?) or if the money from the Liz Callaway job shows up.

On my way back today from Toyland, I have to stop at Staples and buy a new drafting lamp; mine exploded yesterday and I have nuts, bolts, and springs all over my desk. Oy!

DR vixmom, the vixter's poem was wonderful! You did good raising her. It sounds like a great day for the birthday girl and the guests, and the food sounded great!

That's my news.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #26 on: August 17, 2009, 05:48:26 AM »

Except for this:

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hapy Birthday, DR S Woody White !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Laura

« Reply #27 on: August 17, 2009, 05:52:42 AM »

DR Elmore, I am sorry to hear that your clients are often very slow at paying.

Years ago I worked as a court reporter. So I know about clients not paying. I never got paid for some of my work.

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #28 on: August 17, 2009, 06:00:30 AM »

And the word of the day is: TRICHOLOGIST!

And The Song of The Day Is:  HAIR

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #29 on: August 17, 2009, 06:01:36 AM »

HAPPY HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO S. WOODY WHITE
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10   Go Up