Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: THE TRIP  (Read 47479 times)

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
Re: THE TRIP
« Reply #90 on: August 24, 2009, 07:56:52 AM »

Oh, I forgot to mention that on that first NYC trip, we stayed at the Taft Hotel (long gone).

That was where my brother, Chuck Smith, and I staed in December 1966! I had forgotten that.  Speaking of Chuck, I saw him last at my dad's funeral. He and his wife no longer keep company with the Macbeths; Randy and I think that Lady M has driven off another of Tom's best friends. She does it effortlessly.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Cillaliz

« Reply #91 on: August 24, 2009, 08:17:27 AM »

Here's a little "momento" from my friend Daniel's trip to NYC this weekend... :)

this is wonderful!

Cillaliz

« Reply #92 on: August 24, 2009, 08:26:47 AM »

And to add to the other's sad news, my friend Mustafa learned that his cousin and his cousin's wife (who was 7 months pregnant) were both killed in the bombing at the Iraq Foreign Ministry Center last Wednesday, where they both worked.

The couple had just been transferred back to Baghdad from Brussel's due to the husband's promotion, and they were expecting their first child.

Mustafa's brother, Achmed, who visited here last year, used to work at this same building but had been transferred to Moscow several months ago, fortunately.

So sorry about your friends, MBarnum

Cillaliz

« Reply #93 on: August 24, 2009, 08:31:35 AM »

Thanks all for the vibes for Steve and Gretchen and family.   It's hard being 2 hours away and not being able to be there.   I'm probably going to go up for at least a day this weekend and will go for Labor Day Weekend as well.  They only live 5 or 6 houses from my parents' house at the lake, so I can be there without being "a guest".  They have lots of family and are a very close knit family so I'm sure there are many who will be there for support.   

Cillaliz

« Reply #94 on: August 24, 2009, 08:34:04 AM »

Day 1 without Edith (she's on vacation).  I realized when I came in that she didn't schedule much at all for me this week.  I'm sure she looked at the calendar and said to herself "We can't do it that week, I'll be gone" lol. 

I plan to use the week for catching up, going through all the files to make sure nothing has slipped through the cracks, maybe redoing my website, learning new software etc.

Jennifer

« Reply #95 on: August 24, 2009, 08:40:00 AM »

DR Cillaliz sorry to read about your friend's husband.

DR MBarnum sorry to read about your friend's cousin and his wife.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~`

Jennifer

« Reply #96 on: August 24, 2009, 08:45:05 AM »

I'm trying to remember the first time i was in NYC. I seem to think it was early 90s and I know i saw MISS SAIGON and SUNSET BLVD.

Laura

« Reply #97 on: August 24, 2009, 08:51:19 AM »

My first trip to NYC was when I was about 18, working for a costume jewelry company as the Phoenix person. They sent us all to NYC for some reason (I guess to get acquainted with the others and bond), and I didn't fit in with the others at all. After the daily meetings, they all decided to go out to the bars. I was too young, so they sent me back to the hotel in a cab. It was horrible and I quit the job after I got back home.

Laura

« Reply #98 on: August 24, 2009, 08:53:22 AM »

And I knew even then that their product was junk.

DAW

« Reply #99 on: August 24, 2009, 08:59:38 AM »

with the wrong appendage. 

The title of my next novel:   With the Wrong Appendage

DAW

« Reply #100 on: August 24, 2009, 09:03:06 AM »

Here's a little "momento" from my friend Daniel's trip to NYC this weekend... :)

this is wonderful!

It sure is!    :D

DAW

« Reply #101 on: August 24, 2009, 09:03:33 AM »

their product was junk.

Another wonderful title for something or other.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #102 on: August 24, 2009, 09:07:56 AM »

Good Morning!

I'm up, I'm up... And unless DR MBarnum knows something I don't know, my godfather in Boston is in good health and good spirits.

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #103 on: August 24, 2009, 09:14:17 AM »

I love this photo!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #104 on: August 24, 2009, 09:17:29 AM »

Still waiting to hear what my PT will entail.  I will say that I had a major wake up call yesterday, playing the 9 foot concert grand at my church gig--as soon as I hit the pedal, my leg/knee was in incredible pain, so I do think part of this is something akin to "carpal tunnel" syndrome, although with the wrong appendage.  :)

Ooohh! I remember dealing with that during my bout of sciatica. OUCH!  Thankfully, I had remembered some of the pointers I received from an Alexander Technique teacher, and adjusted the height of my bench and the type of shoes I was wearing - the "height" of the sole and heel can make a much bigger difference than one would think.

However, the biggest adjustment that I had to make was relearning just how much pressure it does not take to de/press the piano pedals.  Yes, it may "look" impressive stomping down on the pedals - and one can really get physically involved when playing certain types of music - but once the pedal is down, there's really no need to keep pressing it into the floor.  -Especially when dealing with keyboard pedals.  In any case...

DR JMK - Stretching and muscle relaxers can and will do wonders.  ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

Jane

« Reply #105 on: August 24, 2009, 09:19:13 AM »

DR Cilla, I’m very sorry to hear the news of your best friend’s husband.  Wishing them peace & comfort during this time.

DR Michael S, vibes to your father.

DR MBarnum, such horrible & sad news!!

HUGS AND VIBES ALL AROUND!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #106 on: August 24, 2009, 09:19:29 AM »

And, yes, I LOVE that photo too!

*Daniel asked me if I preferred that he not post it publicly (on his Flickr account), just in case I wanted to preserve the "magic" of Monkey.  Nah! It's a great pic, and there's still some "magic".
Make Your Own Luck.

DAW

« Reply #107 on: August 24, 2009, 09:20:51 AM »

muscle relaxers can and will do wonders. 

Yes, indeed.

Jane

« Reply #108 on: August 24, 2009, 09:24:37 AM »

DR elmore, congrats on the deposit. 

May the next one be in the very near future!!!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #109 on: August 24, 2009, 09:30:18 AM »

Back from the gym - virtually empty at ten-thirty.  I did an hour on the treadmill - forty-five minutes to do four miles at a brisk pace, then fifteen minutes of brisk "walking" to cool down.  It felt good.  I've shaved, will now shower, and then will head out to greet the day.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #110 on: August 24, 2009, 09:33:14 AM »

Since Rodzinski is not amongst tonight's guests I'm beginning to think this has something to do with me personally, since he attended a do two weeks ago at the same address.  This is, of course, baffling to me, since I have thought long and hard and also hard and long to think of something that I did that might have bothered him - I come up with a big 0.  In fact, I have been nothing but nice to him since meeting him online and several times in person.  And please don't use "paranoia" - I think his prolonged absence from here, coupled with the fact that I have never heard from him once in all that time, takes paranoia out of the running.  So, I will continue to be baffled and that's that.

Jane

« Reply #111 on: August 24, 2009, 09:33:51 AM »

And, yes, I LOVE that photo too!

*Daniel asked me if I preferred that he not post it publicly (on his Flickr account), just in case I wanted to preserve the "magic" of Monkey.  Nah! It's a great pic, and there's still some "magic".

It is very magical to see the man behind the Monkey photos.

Jane

« Reply #112 on: August 24, 2009, 09:36:35 AM »

Good news DR Matt H.  Vibes it all works to relieve your pain.

PAIN FREE VIBES TO DRS JMK, ELMORE & MATT H. AND EVERYONE ELSE WHO NEEDS THEM!!!

MBarnum

« Reply #113 on: August 24, 2009, 09:43:07 AM »

BK, to my knowledge Rodzinski enjoys your company very much. I have never heard him even whisper a bad thing about you.

However, he does work two jobs, so that keeps him a very busy, missing HHWer.

Jane

« Reply #114 on: August 24, 2009, 09:43:53 AM »

Bruce, and maybe Rodzinski just has a date or something. 

MBarnum

« Reply #115 on: August 24, 2009, 09:44:18 AM »

My apologies to both DR Jose, whose godfather is still among the living, and DR Michael Shayne, who I meant to send my regards to.

MBarnum

« Reply #116 on: August 24, 2009, 09:44:59 AM »

For the life of my I cannot find my DVD of I MARRIED A MONSTER FROM OUTER SPACE.

MBarnum

« Reply #117 on: August 24, 2009, 09:47:04 AM »

Thank you all for the nice thoughts for Mustafa. He just lost his dad to cancer a few weeks back, and now to lose two more relatives in such a tragic way...well, it has just been a pretty rough time for him lately.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #118 on: August 24, 2009, 09:48:27 AM »

bk - Rodzinski, if I'm remembering correctly, is attending another event tonight.  One that was planned weeks ago, and not just last week.

*Actually, there's a lot of stuff going on tonight in the city: Sally Maye's birthday celebration at Birdland; Christopher O'Riley at The Highline Ballroom (which I may try to catch tonight since it's a "late concert"); Opening Night of The Bacchae in Central Park; Jarrod Emick and Eric Anthony at Joe's Pub; Britney Spears at Madison Square Garden...

**Did you contact him personally to see if he was coming to tonight's dinner? Did you try to contact to see if he wanted to meet up at some other time this week?

Mohammed and the Mountain, I guess.
Make Your Own Luck.

MBarnum

« Reply #119 on: August 24, 2009, 09:48:28 AM »

My first trip to New York was for "The Great HHW Get-together of 2004"

It was one of the most enjoyable times of my life!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8   Go Up