Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: THE VODKA CRUST  (Read 45720 times)

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
Re: THE VODKA CRUST
« Reply #120 on: August 25, 2009, 10:33:36 AM »

Thank you all for the good vibes for FINIAN'S RAINBOW.  DR cillaliz, "Necessity" is one of my favorite numbers. It was originaly meant to be sung by the black gospel brothers but it never worked and was cut. Supposedly, Milton Rosenstock - I think he was the original MD - worked up the version in the show with the ladies of the chorus, presented it to Harburg and Lane, who loved it, and that's how you ended up with it.

I just saw "Mandy" in blackface in THIS IS THE ARMY, and Senator Rawlins looked nothing like that! He looked like a Metropolitan Opera baritone darkened up to sing Amonasro in AIDA. Oy to Camner!

"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Laura

« Reply #121 on: August 25, 2009, 10:34:22 AM »

The pastor's wife stopped by to play with kittens, and we were quite dismayed that Antonia hissed and wriggled to get away from her. She needs some work!

Ginny

« Reply #122 on: August 25, 2009, 10:37:43 AM »

DR Elmore - Richard says, "Congratulations!" too!  I've discovered that your show opens about the time Ragtime previews begin, so we're thinking a late October/early November visit would be a good idea.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Laura

« Reply #123 on: August 25, 2009, 10:38:21 AM »

Elmore has a thing for hair. He is always climbing onto our necks and playing in our hair -- he did this to the pastor's wife, too.

Ginny

« Reply #124 on: August 25, 2009, 10:45:59 AM »

Off to Kroger...bye for now!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ben

« Reply #125 on: August 25, 2009, 10:49:41 AM »

Good Morning! Good Afternoon!

I'm up, I'm up... And I'm going to win the $252 Million Mega-Millions Lottery tonight!  ::)

Then you can afford to take everyone (first class) with you on your potential project since you will need, as VixDeb said yesterday, an extensive entourage  ;D

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #126 on: August 25, 2009, 10:54:03 AM »

DR Ben - First class? What?!?!? If I did win, I'd just go ahead and charter a private plane. ::)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #127 on: August 25, 2009, 10:54:36 AM »

Hmmm... I guess I should stop being a lazy slug sometime this afternoon..

But when?
Make Your Own Luck.

Ben

« Reply #128 on: August 25, 2009, 11:06:19 AM »

DR Ben - First class? What?!?!? If I did win, I'd just go ahead and charter a private plane. ::)

That works too!

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #129 on: August 25, 2009, 11:31:09 AM »

From a CL ad in Portland:

I was born in Poland and have traces of accent while singing. Contact me if you'd like to help me polish my songs.

He obviously meant to say,  "help me Polish my songs."
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

DAW

« Reply #130 on: August 25, 2009, 12:00:02 PM »

Oy, you're making me Hungary!

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #131 on: August 25, 2009, 12:04:55 PM »

I dropped my big announcement at last night's event, and here's the news for everyone who could not be there. I will be working on the Broadway revival of FINIAN'S RAINBOW as the orchestrator for the  adjustments being made for the production. I love Rob Berman, the musical director, and I'm very honored to be asked to work on the show. I loved it at Encores!

CONGRATULATIONS, LARRY!! ;D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Laura

« Reply #132 on: August 25, 2009, 12:18:58 PM »

This afternoon I went into my backyard, and this is what I saw:

Desert firetail damselflies in a "mating wheel"

Cillaliz

« Reply #133 on: August 25, 2009, 12:25:56 PM »

Thank you all for the good vibes for FINIAN'S RAINBOW.  DR cillaliz, "Necessity" is one of my favorite numbers. It was originaly meant to be sung by the black gospel brothers but it never worked and was cut. Supposedly, Milton Rosenstock - I think he was the original MD - worked up the version in the show with the ladies of the chorus, presented it to Harburg and Lane, who loved it, and that's how you ended up with it.

I just saw "Mandy" in blackface in THIS IS THE ARMY, and Senator Rawlins looked nothing like that! He looked like a Metropolitan Opera baritone darkened up to sing Amonasro in AIDA. Oy to Camner!

We actually had the sharecroppers in blackface, at least in make- up to make us appear to be black. I'm almost ashamed to admit that now.  Thanks for the history, Elmore, I didn't know that.

George

« Reply #134 on: August 25, 2009, 12:27:58 PM »

Happy Birthday to Leonard Bernstein.  He would have been 91 today.

According to my Futurama calendar, today is also Walt Kelly's birthday (born 1913, died 1973) and Elvis Costello's birthday (born 1954). :)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #135 on: August 25, 2009, 12:28:23 PM »

Re Two's Company - yes, I finally got the replacements in, so anyone who wants one, it's ten bucks, and that will include postage.  Same routine for paying, and be sure to put the title in the invoice or I really will get confused.  Just do me one little favor and don't place orders until Friday - that way I can print them out when I get home.

Thanks, BK!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #136 on: August 25, 2009, 12:30:16 PM »

Make Your Own Luck.

George

« Reply #137 on: August 25, 2009, 12:48:34 PM »

DAW

« Reply #138 on: August 25, 2009, 01:13:53 PM »

So it was all an experiment...

The title of the next volume of my memoirs.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #139 on: August 25, 2009, 01:19:51 PM »

I tried to take a nap when I went back down, but I couldn't drop off. Sure enough, get a hot lunch in me, and I was out like a light for thirty minutes. Of course, I was working at the time, so that part of the work had to be rewatched.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #140 on: August 25, 2009, 01:21:44 PM »

And in other theater news...Producers Withdraw from Broadway-Aimed Busker Alley Production.

:-\

This poor show has been cursed from day one. I think maybe it should be left alone to die a quiet death.

Matt H.

« Reply #141 on: August 25, 2009, 01:23:29 PM »

When I couldn't drop off, I watched two more episodes of DOLLHOUSE. The first was a marvelous murder mystery with Echo playing the reincarnation of the dead woman. Excellent show, spoiled only by some silliness with comic relief that took away from the interesting stories being told.

Matt H.

« Reply #142 on: August 25, 2009, 01:25:00 PM »

The second episode guest starred the sensational Alan Tudyk who had much comic business to perform early in the episode that had me in stitches. Then, when a shocking twist was inserted into the story, I couldn't have been more taken aback.

Matt H.

« Reply #143 on: August 25, 2009, 01:26:17 PM »

While I ate lunch, I watched the summer season finale of RAISING THE BAR. Both cases were very involving, and I greatly enjoyed the episode.

Matt H.

« Reply #144 on: August 25, 2009, 01:28:01 PM »

No Blu-ray discs arrived in the mail, so I went ahead with CRIMINAL MINDS. I got four episodes watched, all of them quite dramatic. I especially liked one that guest starred Wil Wheaton as a motel manager who had an elaborate kidnap/rape/murder spree going.

Matt H.

« Reply #145 on: August 25, 2009, 01:28:48 PM »

Bonus features on disc one included two deleted scenes and two behind-the-scenes featurettes on the making of particular special effects sequences in the season premiere and in the Wil Wheaton episode.

Matt H.

« Reply #146 on: August 25, 2009, 01:30:47 PM »

With nothing special coming on TV tonight for me other than RESCUE ME (which I'll record and watch tomorrow while I eat lunch), I should be able to get through four more episodes on disc two and on into some episodes on disc three.

CRIMINAL MINDS did 26 episodes last season (four more than the usual dramatic show), so I have seven discs in all to get through and I need to make every second count.

Ginny

« Reply #147 on: August 25, 2009, 01:31:12 PM »

Back from the grocery.  Not only am I set up for the next 2 nights' dinners, they will both generate leftovers:

Meatloaf --> sandwiches
Roast chicken --> chicken salad

Also, several kinds of fresh fruit and some dark chocolate M & Ms.

Matt H.

« Reply #148 on: August 25, 2009, 01:31:45 PM »

I did have time to scan through today's ONE LIFE TO LIVE. Kyle and Fish were on, and Layla has finally been clued in to what's going on with Fish. Good! Hopefully, that will be ending soon, and we can get to the real love triangle I'm interested in with the show.

Ginny

« Reply #149 on: August 25, 2009, 01:38:44 PM »

TOD - not many pies I don't like, except rhubarb and mincemeat.  I've tried to like both, but it's not to be.  I like to make blueberry pie in the summer (graham cracker crust, fresh blueberries, currant jelly glaze, sour cream topping) and pumpkin and pecan for holidays.  One of the most spectacular pies from a restaurant is the chocolate cordial pie at the Grande Finale in Glendale, a Cincinnati suburb:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9   Go Up