Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: THE FROLICSOME IMP  (Read 33596 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
THE FROLICSOME IMP
« on: March 31, 2004, 12:01:18 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, you've Marched for the last time this year to the notes, and now it is time to March right up and post your excellent interview questions (if you don't know whereof I speak, you haven't read the notes - do not pass go, do not collect More Hot Pies).
« Last Edit: April 01, 2004, 12:02:41 AM by bk »

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
Re:THE FROLICSOME IMP
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2004, 12:19:57 AM »

DR Jose: Just remember that the guy currently writing stage reviews for the Washington Post never knows what he's talking about.

Unless he actually likes your show.

And even then, the proverbial grain of salt is in order.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2004, 02:50:56 AM »

It's 2:40 AM in this neck (and elbow) of the woods. I went to sleep early-ish because I was totally TIRED. Okay. Except I woke up an hour ago, all refreshed and rarin' to go, thinking it was morning. It wasn't. So here I am.

Question for bk: If KRITZER TIME were made into a movie, and you could pick the perfect cast from every performer who ever existed, living or dead, what would be you ideal cast?

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2004, 04:00:13 AM »

In addition to Panni's question, let's add this, BK:

If you could be cast in any role, or roles, in films of the Kritzer novels, which role (or roles) would you like to play?  (Other than Benjamin Kritzer himself, of course; miniaturizing you through CGI doesn't strike me as the right idea.  Having you play every lead actor in every film young Benjamin sees is something else again...   ;D  )
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2004, 04:23:53 AM »

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm......

questions for the interview:

Does Teller talk during production meetings?

In Kritzer Time, Benjamin Kritzer has many random celebrity encounters.  Are any of them based on actual Bruce Kimmel encounters?  Which ones?
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2004, 05:23:54 AM »

I'm halfway through Kritzer Time, but here's my question for BK:

One of the wonderful things about the book is the way it combines precise details of time and place (theatres, prices, streetscapes, clothing) with Benjamin's reactions. Regarding the former - the specific details - how much was researched, and how much was based on memory? (I ask this because there's absolutely no feeling of "research.")

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2004, 05:33:43 AM »

Dearest BK, I'm still in KRITZERLAND, so my question can't concern the third book, but my question is this:  what prompted you in the first place to begin a biographal novel and did you think it would become that dreadnought of Miss Prism, a three-volume novel suitable for replacing a baby in a handbag?

I would also be curious why you chose the novel form over a play or a screenplay.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jennifer

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2004, 05:52:35 AM »

Good morning all!

Re: last night's American Idol

I was really underwhelmed.  The only person I really loved was Fantasia.

I could not even hear John S.  And I felt bad watching him there.  Jon Peter (my other fav) was flailing back and forth (he seemed constipated :)).

Oy.

I don't even know who will be in the bottom three. Camille will be one.  Maybe jon or john.  I really hope America gives John S another chance.

William E. Lurie

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2004, 06:23:37 AM »

1) Elaborating on a previous question, is the Judy Garland story in KRITZER TIME true?

2) Are you still a fan of wrestling and how do you compare wrestling today to wrestling of the late 50s/early 60s?
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2004, 07:03:22 AM »

I think the bottom three tonight will be Camile, John Stevens, and Jennifer Hudson. I called all of their numbers last night, and they were never busy. Yes, I know that registered a vote for them, but I wanted to vote for Jennifer, and her line was never busy. Jon Peter's line was only momentarily busy, and not at all later in the evening. Diana's line was constantly busy and so was George's.

After the first five singers, though, I was convinced that Motown was a bad idea for these singers. They just didn't get it. I really thought John Stevens was worse than Camile last night, but would rather see her go and give John one more chance to impress.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2004, 07:04:58 AM by Matt H. »
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2004, 08:05:42 AM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]HAPPIEST
OF
BIRTHDAYS
ANN
[/move]
« Last Edit: March 31, 2004, 08:07:22 AM by Dan-in-Toronto »

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2004, 08:41:34 AM »

For those who missed "American Idol," not to worry.  Tens of millions of folks tuned in, so no absences were noted unless they were somehow announced. And then, not even.   ;D

Last night -- John Stevens -- YEROUTAHERE! Reeked big time.  Camile -- NO EXCUSE -- I don't care what they said, she was horrible. Jennifer -- I think we've seen the best she can do...and it ain't good enough. Hey-yeah-ay!

Jon Peter -- last night's performance was, for me, like LaToya's first two performances -- well, okay..but where's the beef? LaToya -- FINALLY she does something I can relate to...figures Randy would find fault with the first REALLY good thing she's done since competition began.

Diana -- Dynamite! But, Simon's colors have flown and they're ugly. He simply does not like Diana...fails to acknowledge that she's unique and has a great voice (with a little too much Reba thrown in for my taste)...always picking at things that are totally insignificant (or irrlevant).

Amy -- another good week for Amy. She makes Motown sound soulful/countryish, but it's still Motown.  Fantasia -- Really good.  A bit over the top for me.  I don't like being growled at week after week.  

George -- WOW! He was truly awesome last night.  Jasmine -- Wonderful, wonderful! She and George may well be the final two!

(It took me forever to get through on JPLs and Diana's lines!!!)
« Last Edit: March 31, 2004, 08:44:44 AM by RLP »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Lulu

• "Big hair makes the rest of me look smaller!"
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2004, 08:42:19 AM »

BK, dear, I just want you to know I've read the notes, but I can't think of a single question for today's topic.  But I didn't want you to think I was avoiding the subject because I hadn't read the notes.  Oh, no.  Because I have read the notes and I do always read the notes, and I think everybody should read the notes, as said notes are swell.

OK.  NETFLIX:  well, it's happening.  I thought it would happen and it is beginning to happen, damn them, damn them all to hell.  I had read that the more active your account is (and also the longer you are a member), the more "short wait" and "long wait"s you get for movies on your queue.  And here we are, not quite out of our Free Trial Period (which ends April 3) and already there is a Short Wait for "The Ladykillers" (Peter Sellers and Alec Guinness), but a Long Wait for "Back to the Future" (which has only been available on DVD for the past 15 months).  

This phenomenon is, of course, attributable to the fact that the more rentals you receive in a month, the more money you cost them (postage both ways is included in the monthly subscription fee).  So it is of course to their advantage to slow down said rentals in any way possible.  

That said, I still intend to stay with them because the fact remains that in the last 10 days we have seen 4 movies (and have 2 more on the way), all but one of which are completely unavailable at the local level (HK, foreign, and classic films).  Since our local Blockbuster costs $4.50 a pop, we've already received our money's worth.  Besides, as long as stuff on our list like "Once Upon a Time in China" and "A Man and a Woman" and "Nothing Sacred" is listed as being available "NOW" (not to mention the ouevre of one Miss Doris Wishman), "Back to the Future" can go to H-E-double hockeysticks.  

Incidentally, for all the Lana Turner "Imitation of Life" fans, I highly recommend viewing the '30s version, which I saw yesterday for the first time.  Starring Claudette Colbert and Louise "Somebody bawl fo' Beulah?" Beavers, it's quite different and quite good.  Of course, the film provides a very anachronistic view of racial relations, but that's one of the things I like about it.  It's surprisingly complex, and whether the complexity is intentionally or incidentally there doesn't really matter to me.

And oh!  Has anybody seen Hitchcock's "Foreign Correspondent" with Joel McCrea?  I've been flogging myself since I missed taping it off TCM yesterday, and I was wondering if it's worth digging up a copy of the OOP tape.  I'm a McCrea fan, if that helps tip the scales at all.
NOW: Becca in "Rabbit Hole."

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2004, 08:43:38 AM »

Good morning all.
Thank you Dan!  I was beginning to think that HHW had forgotten my very own birthday.  I will be celebrating by driving up to Seattle and having dinner with my very own sister.  Then of course seeing Millie this weekend is my real birthday treat.  
I apologize for being E&T yesterday...I was around reading posts, just didn't get the time to respond.  
I must be off to a very intense choir rehearsal...

Lulu

« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2004, 08:43:42 AM »

Oh, and RLP...since you're online now, thanks for the kind words, RE: my "prodigious and vivid" candy memories!

Strangely, I really don't eat candy at all now...though I still love ice cream and good chocolate!

Lulu

« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2004, 08:46:04 AM »

Happy Birthday, Ann!

I'm sorry...I didn't see any reminder.  Hope you have a terrific day, anyway!

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2004, 08:46:09 AM »

Oh, and RLP...since you're online now, thanks for the kind words, RE: my "prodigious and vivid" candy memories!

Strangely, I really don't eat candy at all now...though I still love ice cream and good chocolate!

You're welcome.  And thank you.  Rarely have I ever read a reminiscence in which I felt the writer had so thoroughly researched/recalled the subject matter with such clarity.  
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2004, 08:46:35 AM »

Excellent questions so far, but really, TEN posts?  Come on, if you don't have a question post about something else.  Seems pretty simple, eh?  But look at the questions of others and ask one - I know there are some of you who haven't read the books so ask something about Bullshit or something else.

And I KNEW I should have looked at our handy-dandy calendar!

So, let's put on our pointy party hats and our colored tights and pantaloons, let's break out the cheese slices and the ham chunks, let's dance the Hora and also the Mashed Potato because we have a birthday to celebrate and that birthday belongs to our dear, dear reader Ann!  So, let's all wish Ann a VERY happy birthday on the count of three: One, two, three - HAPPY BIRTHDAY DEAR, DEAR READER ANN ON THE COUNT OF THREE!  I hope Ann will tell us all about what she's doing on this very special day.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2004, 08:48:56 AM »

The birthday wishes have been added to the notes.  Keep the questions coming, too, and post about whatever else you'd like to - like favorite flavors of ice cream when you were a KID.

Lulu

« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2004, 08:55:08 AM »

Rarely have I ever read a reminiscence in which I felt the writer had so thoroughly researched/recalled the subject matter with such clarity.  

Yes, well...that's how I am about food...capable of scathing brilliance!   ;)

MBarnum

« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2004, 08:58:07 AM »

Chocolate Chip ice cream was my favorite ice cream flavor growing up. Still like it!

Been trying to think of a good question. JRand53 took the question I had thought of (and a good one it was!) so I will have to think some more.

Lulu

« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2004, 09:01:52 AM »

Hey, you guys...BK is on AIM right now.

I IM'd him...let's see if he answers me or ignores me!

Lulu

« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2004, 09:03:23 AM »

He answered me, he answered me!

I'm walking on air...

MBarnum

« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2004, 09:04:30 AM »

BK, in Kritzerland you had a friend named Paul Daley (this is the chapter in the book that I am on currently). Was he based on an actual childhood chum of yours and if so is he still around today?

Lulu

« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2004, 09:06:29 AM »

MBarnum, what is your favorite episode of MST3K?

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2004, 09:12:02 AM »

HAPPY BIRTHDAY DR ANN!!

DRLULU - "Foreign Correspondent" is well worth searching for if only to see Mrs Odets from MY LITTLE MARGIE climbing out of a sinking airplane and clutching the wing!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Lulu

« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2004, 09:12:57 AM »

My faves:

The Corpse Vanishes
Untamed Youth
Pod People
Gamera Vs. Guiron
Teenagers from Outer Space
Manhunt in Space (Rocky Jones, Space Ranger meets old General Hospital!)
Crash of the Moons (Ditto!)
The Unearthly (featuring Allison "JRand's Crush" Hayes!)
Tormented (featuring Susan Gordon!)
It Conquered the World
Manos, the Hands of Fate  (the legend)
I Accuse My Parents
Girlstown

Lulu

« Reply #27 on: March 31, 2004, 09:13:46 AM »

Jrand: Mrs. Odets?  I'm not conversant enough with My Little Margie to remember who she is... (I remember Mr. Honeywell, though!)

Lulu

« Reply #28 on: March 31, 2004, 09:16:29 AM »

By the by, there was a VERY strange episode of My Little Margie on FamNet this morning.

Margie inadvertently bought a wrestler!  Yes, a wrestler.

I went into The Hubby's office, where he was fooling around on the computer, and said, "Margie Albright has accidentally bought a wrestler.  Why can't I lead such an interesting life?  Never in my life have I accidentally purchased a wrestler."  To which he - naturally enough, I suppose - said, "Thank goodness!"

td

• td
« Reply #29 on: March 31, 2004, 09:21:35 AM »

HAPPY NATAL DAY TO DR ANN!

My question, since I have just returned from it, is:
How many DRs  (and BK) have done JURY DUTY?  
Any interesting tales to tell?

I was actually deferred today since the dockets only held three to seven day civil trials.
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up