Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: WHAT KIND OF FOOL AM I?  (Read 34975 times)

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
Re:WHAT KIND OF FOOL AM I?
« Reply #120 on: April 01, 2004, 07:59:25 PM »

Does anyone know why they're called Jordan Almonds?

I just found this at www.fda.gov:

Sec. 570.100 Jordan Almonds - Common or Usual Name (CPG 7112.01)

BACKGROUND:

Administration Information Letter (AIL) No. 173, October 20, 1941, stated that the term "Jordan" almonds was not considered misleading solely because almonds were not of Palestinian origin. This AIL read as follows:

"We have your letter of September 28 inquiring as to the use of the term 'Jordan Almonds' on labels for sugar-coated almonds in which almonds other than 'genuine Spanish Jordan Almonds' are used.

"Upon receipt of a similar inquiry as to the present-day consumer understanding of the term 'Jordan Almonds" in connection with the confection you have in mind we undertook a little research as to the origin and evolution of the term. As far as we can determine the term 'Jordan Almonds' according to one source of information came from the French word 'jardin,' meaning 'garden,' 'hence, a cultivated almond' (Webster's New International Dictionary). Another source of information indicated that at one time the term referred to a variety of almonds originally grown along the Jordan River in Palestine characterized by long, thin, slender, rather smooth kernels in thick, heavy shells.

"The information we were able to elicit as to present-day trade and consumer understanding led us to conclude that to consumers the term may have no significance other than identification of the confection consisting of candy-coated almonds so long as the almonds used are of a certain type or shape that has been found most suitable for candy coating -- in other words, a shape similar to that of the original Jordan almond which would be a long, thin, slender, rather smooth kernel in a thick, heavy shell.

"In the light of our present information we have not been disposed to institute action against this confection labeled 'Jordan Almonds' if the almonds used are of a variety having the physical characteristics described above no matter what may be their source. Of course if it should develop that consumers are in fact being misled as to the identity of the almonds used by this term it would be necessary for us to recall this opinion and advise the trade accordingly."

POLICY:

The term "Jordan Almonds" is considered the common or usual name for candy-coated almonds. The almonds used are varieties that are long, thin, slender, rather smooth kernels.

Issued: 8/20/73
Reissued: 10/1/80, 12/2/88

And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #121 on: April 01, 2004, 08:15:37 PM »

Oh, crap--it's my big number and I'm not ready!

PAGE FIVE DANCE

[move=right,scroll,6,transparent,100%] ;D[/move]
[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%] ;D[/move]
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #122 on: April 01, 2004, 08:25:45 PM »

Hehe...who is your favorite 2-name?

The writing team of Richard Maltby, Jr. (hope no one counts that as three names) and David Shire - aces in my book.  I very much enjoyed their famous Broadway flop, Big (some flop, though - it ran six months), and was thoroughly entertained by Closer Than Ever, Baby and Starting Here Starting Now.  If we're looking for a single person (for, after all, the 3 3-named-wonders often write alone), I'd go with William Finn.  I was very favorably impressed by many of the John Bucchino songs on his Grateful album.  I also admire Craig Carnelia greatly.  Does Stephen Schwartz count as post-Sondheim?  I love a lot of his shows, too.
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #123 on: April 01, 2004, 08:36:11 PM »

Jordan almonds -- hadn't thought of them in ages, and my mouth just watered thinking of them.

WONDERFALLS will not only be facing off against THE APPRENTICE but also against CSI. Not much chance for a spike in ratings. I wonder why Fox didn't try it on Mondays at 8 where BOSTON PUBLIC used to be? That would seem to be a perfect time slot for it.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #124 on: April 01, 2004, 09:00:49 PM »

You'll read all about it tomorrow, but I am without computer until tomorrow afternoon.  Please keep the home fries burning with loads of lovely posts.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #125 on: April 01, 2004, 09:07:23 PM »

You'll read all about it tomorrow, but I am without computer until tomorrow afternoon.  Please keep the home fries burning with loads of lovely posts.

DR Panni, are you channeling the spirit of BK?
-- Anaïs Nin

Panni

« Reply #126 on: April 01, 2004, 09:28:16 PM »

Tha was bk on my computer. I guess he forgot to clarify that.

Panni

« Reply #127 on: April 01, 2004, 09:29:58 PM »

Or... If that's YOUR picture Dan (the Man) -- then there's no problem with bk's "new" picture for April Fools Day.

MBarnum

« Reply #128 on: April 01, 2004, 09:32:05 PM »

Back from wedding rehearsal! Whew! Rehearsal dinner was yummy and I had a Sour Apple Martini too!  I don't have to anything much for the wedding except watch after 2 year old Taylor, my nephews daughter as my nephew is a groomsman and his wife is a maid of honor. I do get to sit up front with my the bride's parent's (my sis an brother-in-law).

Still no Freddy, however. That little (big) dickens is never going outside again, ever! Tomorrow I will check with the neighbors to see if they have seen him (he is best cat friends with the cats on either side of me) and check out the Humane Society before the wedding, if I have I am able.

MBarnum

« Reply #129 on: April 01, 2004, 09:36:17 PM »

Jane, the Ginger Rogers Theater used to be the Craterian Theater. That is where we would go to see all of the Disney movies when I was a kid. My brother Allen would take me and my little brother there to see the Sinbad movies, and that is also where I saw Star Wars when it first came out! What memories I have to that place!

In the 1980s it started showing X-Rated feature films! Quite a switch from showing Disney stuff! When we were of age my friends Steve and Marci and I went there and saw WANDA WHIPS WALLSTREET! LOL!

MBarnum

« Reply #130 on: April 01, 2004, 09:37:32 PM »

And thank you for the Freddy vibes...I am really holding out hope that he has just gotten himself locked in someones garage or something! I just could not bear to lose that little guy!

Panni

« Reply #131 on: April 01, 2004, 09:43:53 PM »

FREDDY COME HOME VIBES!

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #132 on: April 01, 2004, 09:45:30 PM »

Or... If that's YOUR picture Dan (the Man) -- then there's no problem with bk's "new" picture for April Fools Day.

You know it, girlfriend!
-- Anaïs Nin

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #133 on: April 01, 2004, 10:09:36 PM »

I have just returned, Dear Readers, from an evening with Miss Patti LuPone at the Cinegrill, in the historic Hollywood Roosevelt Hotel in downtown Hollywood, California.

Although it's been over a year since the Cinegrill was given a new, elegant space in the hotel, this was my first foray since it reopened.  The new space (and a beefed up lineup relative to the acts they previously had there) coincided with a name change to "Feinstein's [as in Michael] at the Cinegrill," though I saw in the paper yesterday that Mr. Feinstein is withdrawing his name from the deal due to some kind of disagreement with management (whatever that means.)

The room is quite nice, with a small stage front and center.  Four concentric semi-circles of seating rise from the stage level, so sight lines are good.  The seating on the first two rings consist of banquettes and small round tables.  The back two rings offer barstools in front of a sweep of a bar-like counter.

When a show is well-sold, as tonight's was, the seating is tight.  A three course prix-fixe dinner precedes the show.  Wolfgang Puck is listed as the chef de cuisine.  My dinner was OK.  Not great, but not bad either.  Mr. Michael Feinstein himself was seated at a table on the second ring, just below my third ring seat.

This was Miss LuPone's first venture into cabaret in twenty-five years.  She did not do any of her Broadway stuff, but rather a show devoted to songs of torch.  The familiar material ("Some Day He'll Come Along," "Frankie and Johnnie," etc.) tended to be of the belt-it-out-Patti variety.  The songs that were unfamiliar to me tended to be of more introspective nature, and La LuPone managed to tone down her effort accordingly.  The highlight of the set (which ran about 55 minutes) was a brief "revenge" sequence, during which Miss LuPone magnificently nailed "Who's Sorry Now?" and "I Want to Be Around."
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Panni

« Reply #134 on: April 01, 2004, 11:07:10 PM »

Just because bk isn't around -- we have one post every hour?! Pretend this is his picture and post away, my duckies!

Panni

« Reply #135 on: April 01, 2004, 11:09:50 PM »

...keep the home fries burning.

Panni

« Reply #136 on: April 01, 2004, 11:10:43 PM »

Say something DRs Ann and Jed.

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #137 on: April 01, 2004, 11:34:23 PM »

okay, I'm speaking.  I'm sorry, I haven't had much to say...  I had a great birthday...i went to dinner with my sister and her boyfriend...they each got me a present, and we had some delicious Thai food, my current favorite.  Only two more days 'till Jed and I get to see Millie!  Of course I will post a full report after we see it. :)

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #138 on: April 01, 2004, 11:35:07 PM »

Hey, 400 posts for me!  yay!

Panni

« Reply #139 on: April 01, 2004, 11:57:04 PM »

Yay, Ann! Happy post-birthday!

Panni

« Reply #140 on: April 02, 2004, 12:13:02 AM »

Jed, do you see the new notes?

Jed

« Reply #141 on: April 02, 2004, 12:13:39 AM »

No, I see no new notes.
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

Jed

« Reply #142 on: April 02, 2004, 12:26:07 AM »

Mmmm, crackers with peanut butter... is there a more delightful snack?  I think not.

Ahh, but I DO see new notes now!
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up