Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8   Go Down

Author Topic: KIMMEL ON KINDLE  (Read 21739 times)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
Re: KIMMEL ON KINDLE
« Reply #180 on: February 23, 2010, 06:10:30 PM »

I go back and forth on the Kindle.  I have looked at other "readers" in stores and while I think they are cool. But, after spending a good portion of the day looking at computers for work and enjoyment, I like reading off of paper.   I also can see getting to the best part of a book and having the batteries die.  THat would be my luck

You don't have batteries.  You charge it like a cell phone.  I only need to charge my Kindle maybe once a week, and it only takes about a half hour.  And yes, I can continue to read while it is charging.

lol, i'm thinking how often my cell phone charge as almost run out & i've had to turn it off.  How many hours of reading do you do in a week?  On a sleepless night i can read for 5-6 hours.

DR Jane - The Kindle's battery life varies according to usage and whether or not you have the "whispernet" activated. If you just use the Kindle as a "reader" - and not a "downloader", the battery can last anywhere from 30-60 hours depending how many page turns and images you display.
Make Your Own Luck.

Cillaliz

« Reply #181 on: February 23, 2010, 06:11:30 PM »

So for the ice dancing last night, none of you guys would cheer for the US pair to win if you liked another team's performance better?

Maybe it's because we don't have that many gold medalists here.  But it is a huge deal for us to be going for a gold medal.

I've cheered for another team over the US competitor if I thought they were better.  If the US team had won last night, I would have felt they deserved it too.  I don't think there was much difference between the silver and gold. They were completely different types of skates

Ginny

« Reply #182 on: February 23, 2010, 06:12:40 PM »

Today was my 3rd day in a row of having to be up and out of the house before 9am and I'm looking forward to a leisurely morning tomorrow.  My mom saw an orthopedist today for her sore back and legs and found out that it's neuro-muscular (no fractures, whew!).  She's been put on an intensive regimen of ibuprofen and acetaminophen, which I hope she will follow.  After appointment we shopped a bit (she loves being pushed around Kroger in a wheel chair) and had lunch.  Back at her apartment, I rearranged some boxes for her and took out some trash, and then went for a quick visit with my aunt.  I took a 2-hour nap when I got home in order to be able to stay up tonight for the Olympics.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #183 on: February 23, 2010, 06:13:15 PM »

As for the Kindle...

Since I'm not a "constant" reader, the Kindle (and/or Nook and/or...) has no "immediate" appeal to me.  However, if I were to receive one as a gift, I would definitely not return it. ;)

*I do have the complete works of Shakespeare (FREE) and the "Stanza" (FREE) and "Kindle" (FREE) apps on my iPhone for those extra long subway rides.  -Yes, there are a bunch of FREE titles out there.

Keith has an iPhone.  I didn't know he could download books.  That would be great when we travel, then I only have to carry my books, not his.  He only takes one on a flight while I usually carry 2 books or more.

DR Jane - Yep, he can download books!  There are a couple of "book" apps in the store, but Stanza and Kindle are the most popular.  Stanza features mainly free - public domain - titles, so there's lots of classics available.  There is a "Shakespeare" app that has all the plays and sonnets.  Both apps also make it possible to adjust the print size for ease of reading.  iTunes itself also has a "book store" - which has a bunch of free titles.
Make Your Own Luck.

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #184 on: February 23, 2010, 06:15:13 PM »

I found Taylor Leigh.

She is sending me a photo of herself as Carole Lombard for use in my book.

:)
You can dream…or you can do.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #185 on: February 23, 2010, 06:15:35 PM »

PAGE SEVEN KINDLE 2 DANCE!!!!!!!

Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #186 on: February 23, 2010, 06:19:40 PM »

I found Taylor Leigh.

Again... Happy Birthday To You!!
Make Your Own Luck.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #187 on: February 23, 2010, 06:22:11 PM »

I found Taylor Leigh.

Congrats on the successful find!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #188 on: February 23, 2010, 06:23:34 PM »

And now, I'm work to buy some hollow wall anchors/crews.  I need to put up some adjustable shelves for my DVDs and I don't have any screws.

Until later!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #189 on: February 23, 2010, 06:26:01 PM »

DR Ginny - Does your mother ever like to get a good "push-off" while she's being wheeled about? Wheeeeeeeee!!!! ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

Cillaliz

« Reply #190 on: February 23, 2010, 06:30:08 PM »

DR Cillaliz, I"m not sure if you and your mother have specific favorite pros on DANCING WITH THE STARS.

But it looks like the show has decided not to have some favorites: Lacey, Karina and jonathan won't be back (very unhappy about the first two). It looks like Cheryl, Chelsie, Edyta, Derek, Mark, Tony,  Maks, Tony and some guy named damian are back too. I guess they are gonna be very heavy on female celebs this year. I don't like that idea.

We've never been big fans of Lacey or Jonathan, but I'll miss Karina

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #191 on: February 23, 2010, 06:32:01 PM »

However...

As for e-Readers...

The one thing I do find advantageous - not for me personally at the moment - about Apple's upcoming iPad, is that they've paired up with some textbook companies. That arrangement should not only lower the cost of a textbook, but also all that physical weight in a student's backpack.

*And it wasn't until very recently that I learned that some textbook companies are now making their textbooks available electronically for rent.  They can be downloaded as a file which "expires" at the end of the semester.
Make Your Own Luck.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #192 on: February 23, 2010, 06:34:34 PM »

Very good news DR DRUXY.

Well.....of course.....13 short years ago, I would have told you that you were crazy if you told me I would be on the computer AT my HOUSE EVERYDAY......shopping, visiting friends, and generally making a nuisance of myself....and here I am doing all three - sometimes all at once.

So I will say that there MAY be a Kindle in my future.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #193 on: February 23, 2010, 06:35:05 PM »

Survived THRILLER and DISCO and watched many of the other routines....interesting.....we may not win.....but we won't be LAST!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Ginny

« Reply #194 on: February 23, 2010, 06:36:44 PM »

Yeah, DR Jose, once in a while, especially on a downhill slope, I'll ask my mom if she wants me to let go.  That kind of wakes her up!

We did see some excitement in the Kroger parking lot today.  When we got there a fire truck was parked out in the lot - not an unusual sight around here.  I often see firefighters doing their grocery shopping.  As we were walking into the store we heard a crash and the fire truck had totaled the front end of a nearby car.  My sister told me she and her husband saw a snowplow do the same thing in their Walmart parking lot in Michigan.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Cillaliz

« Reply #195 on: February 23, 2010, 06:40:21 PM »

Yeah, DR Jose, once in a while, especially on a downhill slope, I'll ask my mom if she wants me to let go.  That kind of wakes her up!

We did see some excitement in the Kroger parking lot today.  When we got there a fire truck was parked out in the lot - not an unusual sight around here.  I often see firefighters doing their grocery shopping.  As we were walking into the store we heard a crash and the fire truck had totaled the front end of a nearby car.  My sister told me she and her husband saw a snowplow do the same thing in their Walmart parking lot in Michigan.

Not too long ago the blood mobile knocked down a brick pillar at the courthouse here

Cillaliz

« Reply #196 on: February 23, 2010, 06:41:30 PM »

So what's the difference between a Kindle and the other readers I've seen?  I was looking at ... I think it was a Sony and wondered how it compares to the Kindle

Laura

« Reply #197 on: February 23, 2010, 06:42:27 PM »

Not long ago Sheriff Joe's tank ran into someone's car.
"That's a lotta hamsters."

Cillaliz

« Reply #198 on: February 23, 2010, 06:45:49 PM »

Not long ago Sheriff Joe's tank ran into someone's car.

I think we were talking about accidents!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #199 on: February 23, 2010, 06:54:07 PM »

WHOA!!!!!
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #200 on: February 23, 2010, 06:54:25 PM »

-In case you were wondering, that was in reference to "Lost".
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #201 on: February 23, 2010, 06:56:08 PM »

Make Your Own Luck.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #202 on: February 23, 2010, 06:58:39 PM »

Mt cousin Sue just sent me info on Uncle Bob; she thinks his liver is shutting down and writes that the nurses told her his kidneys are failing. The hospital's advised his sons to get him into hospice. Please keep the vibes coming!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Ginny

« Reply #203 on: February 23, 2010, 07:00:46 PM »

Vibes for DR Elmore's Uncle Bob and all those who love him.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #204 on: February 23, 2010, 07:07:18 PM »

DR George - I hope your sister's pipe are back in proper working order.
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #205 on: February 23, 2010, 07:15:19 PM »

I don't tend to worry about how other people watch, enjoy, or appreciate the Olympics. I do my own thing as I always have.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #206 on: February 23, 2010, 07:16:32 PM »

Vibes for Uncle Bob and for the father of a friend who was given about a month to live today. She's headed up to Idaho to be with him.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #207 on: February 23, 2010, 07:16:46 PM »

And now for something completely different...

My Little Pony Sings Showtunes!

*You can watch the whole clip, or just the first half and then the second half. ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

« Reply #208 on: February 23, 2010, 07:19:57 PM »

When I went downstairs, I watched L.A. CONFIDENTIAL on Blu-ray. I was so excited to get that excellent transfer with Dolby TrueHD sound (but I had to switch it on the fly; this Warner disc defaults to Dolby Digital. Thankfully, Warner has stopped doing this in their most recent releases.)

What a truly masterful movie. It's breathtaking from beginning to end, so filled with so many interesting characters and a very convoluted plot that all works out beautifully at the end. How did that trio of male leads not get nominated for Oscars! Wow!

Matt H.

« Reply #209 on: February 23, 2010, 07:22:25 PM »

Next I started watching tonight's AMERCAN IDOL semifinals. I saw  maybe five singers, and I was not bowled over by any of them.

Simon said the first one had probably the best female voice in the competition, and I thought that if he's not exaggerating, then it was going to be a VERY weak slate of ladies. A couple of the later ones I saw were better than that first girl. Two blondes in the first 45 minutes had the best voices of the ones I've heard, but I didn't get quite halfway through the 12 women tonight. I'll have to finish watching tomorrow.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8   Go Up