Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: AN ANCIENT ARTIFACT FROM A DIFFERENT ERA  (Read 12742 times)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
Re: AN ANCIENT ARTIFACT FROM A DIFFERENT ERA
« Reply #30 on: March 03, 2010, 07:26:50 AM »

Does this take us to page Two?
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #31 on: March 03, 2010, 07:27:04 AM »

It does!!!

Page Two Dance!!!

Matt H.

« Reply #32 on: March 03, 2010, 07:27:51 AM »

Oh, I forgot that I also have SOUTHLAND from last night on the DVR. Hope I can find some time to watch that today. I think it might be a bit too violent for lunchtime.

Matt H.

« Reply #33 on: March 03, 2010, 07:28:33 AM »

Now, I'm heading downstairs and should be able to squeeze in at least two MATT HOUSTON episodes before lunch.

WBBL.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #34 on: March 03, 2010, 07:36:51 AM »

I'm up too early, especially as I was up for thirty minutes in the middle of the night with some stomach pains (shortlived).

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #35 on: March 03, 2010, 07:41:21 AM »

I have many floppy disks FULL of information and photos - and I bought a small external Floppy Drive reader.....I think I still have a box of 5 1/4" floppy disks, which were sort of floppy....I used them in my Tandy 1500, the first computer I owned....in 1992.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #36 on: March 03, 2010, 07:57:52 AM »

Today my work project is a B-movie called BITCH SLAP. Looks like it was made as sleazy and gross as possible since the liner notes seem to revel in its over-the-top aspects.

I am honestly dreading having to sit through this (if I'm to believe the cover, there is a COMMENTARY with this). SOmetimes this job is NOT fun.

Can't you pass it on to DR MBarnum to ghostwrite, if you can submit a review written in crayon?
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #37 on: March 03, 2010, 08:05:11 AM »

DR JohnG - I'm enjoying your photos because there's some Botswana interest stirring here in SW Ohio due to that country being selected as the feature for 2010's Middfest International.
I remember that festival. Back in the 1980s, when I lived in Middletown, there was one on Japan. First time I ever tried sushi, as I recall. I really enjoyed the event.
Don't know if you read them or watch the series, but the "No. 1 First Ladies Detective Agency" is set there. They're are quite enjoyable.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #38 on: March 03, 2010, 08:07:35 AM »

Wow what a great photo, DR JOHNG.

Judy Kuhn looks wonderful in that leopard coat!
Meow.

heheheheheheh.....that was for DR ELMORE.

I'm just sorry to hear she's like that. But it doesn't take away from how much I enjoy her voice, including on DR Elmore's orchestration.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

FJL

« Reply #39 on: March 03, 2010, 08:09:40 AM »

Getting into a frenzy at All that Chat when i should be spending time doing returns, or better than that, posting here.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #40 on: March 03, 2010, 08:12:05 AM »

I love Judy Kuhn's voice and ultimately enjoyed doing her CD.  She is a bit of a pill, which is why I haven't used her on any other CDs since doing the album.  I did invite her to join in on The Stephen Schwartz Album CD and she said yes and was slated to do Meadowlark.  Because of my arrangement (starting the song slow and rubato, which was the first time that approach had been taken) she was concerned about the tempo of the rubato, since we were recording the band in LA.  The musical director worked with her very carefully on it and took precise metronome markings for the feel and tempo of that section.  We recorded it that way.  She heard the track and said she could not sing to that rubato section, even though we'd done exactly what she'd rehearsed.  She dropped out two days before the session.  Thankfully, Susan Egan was in town, learned it, and gave an amazing performance of the song.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #41 on: March 03, 2010, 08:12:32 AM »

Getting into a frenzy at All that Chat when i should be spending time doing returns, or better than that, posting here.

Which frenzy?  About that "person" Jessie21?

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #42 on: March 03, 2010, 08:39:16 AM »

I love Judy Kuhn's voice and ultimately enjoyed doing her CD.  She is a bit of a pill, which is why I haven't used her on any other CDs since doing the album.  I did invite her to join in on The Stephen Schwartz Album CD and she said yes and was slated to do Meadowlark.  Because of my arrangement (starting the song slow and rubato, which was the first time that approach had been taken) she was concerned about the tempo of the rubato, since we were recording the band in LA.  The musical director worked with her very carefully on it and took precise metronome markings for the feel and tempo of that section.  We recorded it that way.  She heard the track and said she could not sing to that rubato section, even though we'd done exactly what she'd rehearsed.  She dropped out two days before the session.  Thankfully, Susan Egan was in town, learned it, and gave an amazing performance of the song.

I like the album a lot. It isn't my fault that she never acknowledged my work on the album and that she has snubbed me several times in the past 10 years. I did a lot to save that album and I really liked working with Michael Skloff. Since a lot of the work I get comes from singers I've worked with before, I'd bet good money I'll never see a phone call about a job from Ms Kuhn.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

FJL

« Reply #43 on: March 03, 2010, 08:45:11 AM »

BK - Not a frenzy of posts, just literally a mental frenzy.  I find his inability to separate the play form his view of the production scary.  He's making believe via fantasy that he's a real reviewer, yet has none of the attendant journalistic responsibility - he behaves like a "critic" when he wants, and seems to hide behind being just a poster on ATC when that suits him.  which is smart, but doesn't seem right somehow. 

FJL

« Reply #44 on: March 03, 2010, 08:45:54 AM »

BK - is the writerkev gentleman someone you've dealt with before?

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #45 on: March 03, 2010, 08:51:44 AM »

No word from Mr Spirtas yet, and I cannot waste my day waiting for him.

So, I guess I will hit the post office for a package, and then head down to the NYPL to see what Herbert materials I can find. After that, a rehearsal with bass Valerian Ruminsky, whom I've not seen since London, 2001, when we recorded the still-unreleased BABES IN TOYLAND.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #46 on: March 03, 2010, 08:52:03 AM »

Every time I visit ALL THAT CHAT, I remember why I don't post there.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #47 on: March 03, 2010, 08:55:44 AM »

Golly, an entire column dedicated, by title, to DR ... umm....never mind.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #48 on: March 03, 2010, 08:57:50 AM »

Am at work for the first day this week.  Woke up Sunday with "major" sinus flow and flu-like symptoms.

Sicker on Monday...and yesterday wasn't a picnic, although I began feeling better in the afternoon and felt nearly almost, but not quite, my usual self by bedtime.

We shall see what we shall see as the day progresses.

The day here is drear....most drear....decidedly drear.

Rain, rain and more rain.   We haven't had such rains since 8 or 9 years ago.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #49 on: March 03, 2010, 09:00:22 AM »

I loved, loved, loved "Lost" last night.

But if questions were answered, the questions must have been asked by folks who haven't been paying attention.

Still....it's moving along.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #50 on: March 03, 2010, 09:03:10 AM »

DR td:  Your comment about last night's "Lost" -- LOL!

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #51 on: March 03, 2010, 09:03:45 AM »

DR JoseSPiano:  LOVED the quote about "the key of Bea Arthur".   I'll bet Bea was roaring over that one from wherever she is right now.

FJL

« Reply #52 on: March 03, 2010, 09:08:36 AM »

Happy birthday to Adriana

Jennifer

« Reply #53 on: March 03, 2010, 09:36:36 AM »

re: last night's AMERICAN IDOL.

My 2 previous favorites (andrew garcia and casey (kara's boy) were just okay.

But my new favorite is Alex Lambert. He was so nervous and awkward last week. But this week he was the standout. And i love the tone of his voice!

I am also liking lee Dewyze.

But still there are so many who could just go now.

I honestly thought Alex Lambert was THE worst one last week, so I'm glad he's improved. If he makes it to the final 12, I'll see him then.

Yep he was a wreck last week.  You would not believe how much he improved. All the judges agreed.  They could not believe he was the same guy.

In his chat piece he said he had basically no experience on stage and that he threw up last week prior to going on stage. So i think a lot of it was his nerves and inexperience. I expect him to be one of the final guys standing.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #54 on: March 03, 2010, 09:38:19 AM »

BK - is the writerkev gentleman someone you've dealt with before?

I can't keep track of who my little "fans" are - dcb is definitely one - always misrepresenting what I post, and when I correct, always disappears without a word.  These people are beyond pathetic and that goes for Jesse21.  If I were Ann I would preclude him from making those "review" posts the way he does - they have a reviewer and he reviews under his full name.  It's only the other amateurs who defend him - for we do live in the time of the amateur.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #55 on: March 03, 2010, 09:39:07 AM »

I'll watch Lost this evening, but questions better damn well be answered because that pontificating putz who speaks the voiceovers in his pretentious way told the world that questions would be answered.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #56 on: March 03, 2010, 09:39:17 AM »

I'm very tired.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #57 on: March 03, 2010, 09:43:49 AM »

The Time of the Amateur.....that is the title of my new musical.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #58 on: March 03, 2010, 09:52:24 AM »

I'll watch Lost this evening, but questions better damn well be answered because that pontificating putz who speaks the voiceovers in his pretentious way told the world that questions would be answered.

That Pontificating Putz should be the title of your next novel.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #59 on: March 03, 2010, 09:52:51 AM »

Is Alex Lambert Adam's little brother?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Up