Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: KNOCK ON WOOD  (Read 47536 times)

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
Re:KNOCK ON WOOD
« Reply #30 on: April 17, 2004, 09:30:54 AM »

How impolite of me ::) ...  I forgot to say

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, NICK REDMAN!

(And hi to Rebecca!)

Panni

« Reply #31 on: April 17, 2004, 09:32:31 AM »

Speaking of Doris Day, she turned 80 earlier this month. Does that make me feel old or what?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #32 on: April 17, 2004, 09:40:30 AM »

It's predictable.  They also go on and on about how the Equity and AFTRA cast album rates must change.  Again, they may have said this in private, but I'm the only one that I know of who was publicly vocal about this from the beginning.  I'm the only one who went in and tried to take them on - I even tried to enlist support from others - no dice.  It's just funny to see your own words and thoughts being spouted by others (again, some of whom I know and who I've said these very things to, and some who've been told exactly how I work with singers in the studio).  It's funny because before I began and before I said these things, none of these people knew much about recording or had these ideas (except Phil Ramone).  I am at least invoked by an album I produced, Lucky Stiff, although my name is not mentioned anywhere.  Considering that I don't think a certain label would even be in existence if it weren't for my being a role model, it's just downright, well... funny.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #33 on: April 17, 2004, 09:50:08 AM »

Happy Birthday to Nick Redman!

When I need to relax, I usually play Lee Lessack or MusicGuy.

Or I go for a walk.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #34 on: April 17, 2004, 09:52:49 AM »

Well, she of the Evil Eye is Evil Eyeing me but good, so keep the home fries burning - I must get going.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #35 on: April 17, 2004, 10:10:42 AM »

.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #36 on: April 17, 2004, 10:11:57 AM »

No it's not funny, MR BK, it's irritating!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #37 on: April 17, 2004, 10:12:42 AM »

DRPANNI....Doris Day cannot be 80 years old, she can't....although I think she shares a birth DATE with Marlon Brando.

I just saw her last night in PILLOW TALK and she looks just the same!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #38 on: April 17, 2004, 10:16:53 AM »

And she starred in one of DRMBARNUM's favorite movies April in Paris!   ;D

We love you, Doris....watch out for that Midnight Lace!

PennyO

• Ah, if I knew then what I know now...
    • Penny Orloff
« Reply #39 on: April 17, 2004, 10:21:20 AM »

Relaxing music: Most JS Bach - especially, for some reason, the Brandenburg Concertos. And slow movements to other Baroque-era concertos: like Marcello Oboe Concerto. In fact, slow movements to most pre-Mendelssohn composed symphonic stuff.

Barber Adagio. Albinoni Adagio. The two Mozart flute concertos, flute/harp concerto, clarinet concertos. Gregorian chant is so relaxing. Fidelio quartet, Sous le dome epais from Lakme, Sull'aria from Figaro. Not much other vocal stuff - the words grab and engage the mind. What I love is to feel my frontal lobes evaporate.

DRs Charles Pogue and Panni, would you be willing to mentor a beginning screenwriter, in a small way?

BK - Damn them, damn them all to hell -- uncredited work, especially intellectual property, is so easy to steal. But "getting away with it" doesn't make it right. Let those of us who are blameless string 'em up. (PS - I'm not so blameless, unfortunately...)
PennyO

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #40 on: April 17, 2004, 10:31:48 AM »

Going to see PRIVATE LIVES this afternoon....and getting a program to send to WEL.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #41 on: April 17, 2004, 10:40:09 AM »

Happy Birthday, Nick.  Thanks for all your incredible releases.

Re:  Mike Danton--just read the article.  Is it just me, or is it implied he's a closeted gay who was trying to off his male lover?
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #42 on: April 17, 2004, 10:52:45 AM »

Re:  Mike Danton--just read the article.  Is it just me, or is it implied he's a closeted gay who was trying to off his male lover?
Not just you.  Sounds like no more goals, no more points, and a whole lotta minutes in the penalty box coming up.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #43 on: April 17, 2004, 10:53:53 AM »

[size=20]Happy Birthday, Nick Redman![/size]
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #44 on: April 17, 2004, 10:54:46 AM »

I gather it was a screwed up gay relationship from reports on other sites.

Dear Friend BK,  I understand your feelings.   There are many of us in the business who can yell about lack of credit or the short memory of good friends.  Work and prosper.  There's much to be said for longevity.

To quote Sir William S. Gilbert, "The world is but a broken toy, its pleasures hollow, false its joy."  

I'm not sure I truly believe Sir William, but on the days I feel like Lear raging on the heath, I do believe him.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #45 on: April 17, 2004, 11:03:45 AM »

Yes, I think Michael Danton aka Mike Jefferson was taking the really hard way out of a relationship.

And what made him think that 19-year-old girl would KNOW a hitman to begin with?

MBarnum

« Reply #46 on: April 17, 2004, 11:28:45 AM »

First off good vibes to those that need them, and you know who you are!!

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]  ;D   :D   ;)   :)   ;D   :o   8)   :-*   :D   ;D   ;)   :) [/move]

Happy Birthday DR Nick R wherever you are.

I am going to attempt to get many things done today...must read more KRITZER TIME...must work on some interviewes...must finish my Bollywood movie that is started last nigh...must watch some other DVD entertainment as well if I have time...must continue posts on what will soon be the most popular internet site of all...

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #47 on: April 17, 2004, 11:41:26 AM »

Sir Edward Elgar's "Enigma Variations" conducted by Sir John Barbirolli is one of a few recordings that elevates me to near-out-of-body status and helps me to regroup.

Does anyone here have the new 2-CD special edition of "A Room With A View"????  It's maddening and infuriating, but I am unable to find any information on the audio offering.  On the single CD it's Dolby 5.1 mono and Dolby 2.0 mono (which is just fine, if one has no other choices), but since this special edition was remastered, I'm wondering about the sound.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

PennyO

• Ah, if I knew then what I know now...
    • Penny Orloff
« Reply #48 on: April 17, 2004, 11:43:04 AM »

WFO - re: your post yesterday asking about NY musical theatre fest - sort of a juried Fringe Fest for new musicals. They pick about 2 dozen shows, and mount them cheaply in and around NYC in a short time, with lots of publicity. There are also "Partner" productions - which are self-produced pieces, that have the advantage of piggy-backing the publicity and hype surrounding the rest of the fest. I'm submitting 2 shows. Deadline is early May, I think.
PennyO

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #49 on: April 17, 2004, 12:03:01 PM »

DRMBARNUM what movies did you watch last night - that you didn't get to pick?

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #50 on: April 17, 2004, 12:07:20 PM »

Hello all
For relaxation, I have a CD of choral pieces by Morten Lauridsen.  Nothing relaxes me more than that.  If you like choral music, I'd highly reccomend checking out his work.
I'm off to a jazz choir rehearsal...I wish I wasn't, but I have to.    

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #51 on: April 17, 2004, 12:44:21 PM »

Off to Privates Lives....and NO it isn't the Mike Danton musical!

Panni

« Reply #52 on: April 17, 2004, 01:03:15 PM »

DRs Charles Pogue and Panni, would you be willing to mentor a beginning screenwriter, in a small way?

It depends on many things...
One would be what exactly is neant by "mentor in a small way."
Two would be if the person has any talent. I hate to sound so black and white about this, but quite a few times (before I said I won't do this ever again) I found myself in a situation where it was obvious that no matter what I imparted to the would-be-writer, it didn't matter because they were never ever going to write a decent screenplay. That's no crime - not everybody is supposed to be able to do that. Just like not everybody can take apart an engine or design a building. But I hate to be cruel to people - although you're not doing anyone a favor by not telling them what they need to hear. So eventually I tell them and I feeel horrible and they feel horrible. Who the hell needs to volunteer to do that? ...So that long explanation is alll about why I think the person should have some talent
And lastly, it depends on how busy I am at the time I'm asked to do it.

Panni

« Reply #53 on: April 17, 2004, 01:06:51 PM »

Ann - Have you ever listened to the Ars Nova Singers? A wonderful choral group based in Boulder. They have qute a few albums

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #54 on: April 17, 2004, 01:12:18 PM »

I was lucky enough to see Barbara Cook in two of her glorious shows: SHE LOVES ME and the Lincoln Center revival of SHOW BOAT, and she was stupendous in both of them. How I wish I could have seen all of her shows.

Her MOSTLY SONDHEIM show is available on DVD for those who have never seen her before.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #55 on: April 17, 2004, 01:17:56 PM »

After I finish with my afternoon surf, I'm going to brave that movie curiosity called THE LITTLE PRINCE.

A friend is coming over tonight and we're watching LOST IN TRANSLATION (which a friend loaned me weeks ago and I've never gotten around to looking at it.)

Will have full reports later tonight or tomorrow.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #56 on: April 17, 2004, 01:18:17 PM »

I'm back from banishment, and am going to do some work.  Got Star and Sweeney Todd - full reports, of course.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #57 on: April 17, 2004, 01:27:02 PM »

Music that soothes Pogue's savage breast...Rozsa...particularly PROVIDENCE soundtrack and a lot of his classical concert pieces.  Ravel. Debussy. Katchaturian.  Vaughn Williams' Sinfonia Anarctica.  Rimsky-Korsakov.  Symphonically, I prefer Russians, Hungarians, English, by and large.

Of course, the most soothing way for me to relax is with a bottle of good wine on the back balcony with a smooth singer.  Johnny Hartman and Vic Damone are favourites...but I've got a vast array who will fit the bill.

PennyO, it depends on what is meant by mentoring?  I've pretty much gotten out of the habit of reading other people's scripts...simply because it just got so overwhelming...friends of friends of friends and if you did it for one, suddenly you felt obligated to do it for others.  Secondly, in all my years of reading scripts, I only found one writer who I thought actually had a chance of making it as a screenwriter...he hasn't yet and might be getting discouraged about it, despite being a wonderful talent.

Thirdly, I find most people dont really want to hear  realistic feedback, they want compliments, pats on the back.  I'm not that kind of mentor.  I believe if you can be discouraged you should be discouraged.  If you can't be discouraged in the face of harsh realities, maybe you'll survive.

On rare occasions that I do agree to do this, I am blunt, brutal,  no-mincing-of-words. Some have suggested even cruel.  I don't care.  No matter how cruel I am, the realities of the business are crueller. I take a copy of the script and mark my comments in the margin.  They usually get more acerbic as I go along, since most scripts unravel before the end.  I judge by professional standards...one doesn't get graded on the curve because they're just starting out.  But if you've got the nerve, the advice is always sound and you'll get an excellent lesson in screenwriting, depsite any perceived harsness.

Now if it's just advice you want about the business that doesn't involve reading work, I'm pretty free with that...though I can't say it'll be anymore optimistic in tone.  I don't help people to get agents (I wouldn't know how) nor will I volunteer to show people's work to my agent or other people I know in the business, my credibility's on the line (again, the only time I have ever given a script to an agent was that one writer.  I don't think the agent ever read it).

I don't know who needs mentoring, but I suggest they visit my friends,Terry Rossio and Ted Elliott's screenwriting site which is the best site around for offering no-nonsense pragmatic advice on screenwriting and is visited by several professionals.   Yours truly included...where I am more or less regarded as the Simon Cowell of screenwriting advisors.  Terry and Ted wrote Pirates of the Caribbean, Shrek, and Mask of Zorro...so are at the top of their game.  The advice is geared to giving  wannabes and newbies, but those serious about pursuing a career in this precarious profession, a realistic viewpoint.  Their message boards are always engaging and full of lively, often brutal, debate (Their boards are always down on the weekends, however).  T & T's column are great tools...I recommend starting with column 34. THROWING IN THE TOWEL. It seperates the chaff from the wheat real fast. The site is called WORDPLAY at  www.wordplayer.com.  It is not for the meek, the squeamish, or dilletantes.  

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #58 on: April 17, 2004, 01:30:36 PM »

Happy Birthday Nick Redman!

Bruce, why not simply post Juliana’s journal instead of doing a link?

JMK happy anniversary.  I hope Gabe’s arm just looks peculiar as it has been in a cast for so long and will improve now.  Will he need therapy for awhile to get the strength back?  Good luck with the second opinion.

Music that sooths me changes from day to day.  It really depends on my mood.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #59 on: April 17, 2004, 01:38:27 PM »

Wow Charles Pogue.  I am now in awe of you.  If I had the ability to write a screenplay you would be just the person I would want to read it.  Then I would go to a very private corner, with a box of Kleenex, and read your notes. :D
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up