Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: LET ME COUNT THE WAYS  (Read 46635 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
LET ME COUNT THE WAYS
« on: April 20, 2004, 12:00:56 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, you know how many ways there are, and therefore you are now ready to post on a variety and also a hollywood reporter of topics. :P
« Last Edit: April 21, 2004, 12:01:11 AM by bk »

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
Re:LET ME COUNT THE WAYS
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2004, 12:17:00 AM »

Maybe today I get the frist post? No Jed around to steal it from me. (He didn't show up for our dawn Samurai duel at Hollywood and Vine.)
« Last Edit: April 20, 2004, 08:24:48 AM by Panni »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2004, 12:24:08 AM »

The nefarious Jed didn't even post.  C list, I'm afraid.  

Panni

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2004, 12:32:40 AM »

Favorite "epic" films: Ben-Hur, West Side Story, Sound of Music, Cleopatra (I loved it at the time!), Lawrence of Arabia, Abel Gance's Napoleon with a live symphony orchestra conducted by Carmine Coppola which I saw in Toronto at the O'Keefe Center.

Tomovoz

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2004, 12:59:44 AM »

Epics: the David Leans - Kwaii, Zhivago, Ryan's Daughter, Passage and Lawrence.  I guess Kubrick's 2001 was an epic of sorts too. (all those actors!). Barry Lyndon had some terrific cinematography but was too looooong. I can do without seeing most of the Biblical epics but do like "The Robe".
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2004, 01:08:36 AM »

I will add a personal favourite "The Legend Of 1900" to my list. Far more interesting than that ship hitting the icecube epic of a few years ago.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Jed

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2004, 01:24:31 AM »

C-list???  No!!!!!!!!  Say it ain't so, BK!

Was rather E&T yesterday doing more car shopping, and actually buying one by the end of the afternoon.  Nothing fancy, just a very simple 1990 Toyota Corolla, but a step up from my 1984 Honda, and I don't have to worry about my bad brakes sending me into a ditch now. :D  Then I had to hurry off to rehearsal for Children of Eden... oy, this show is not gonna be good.  Perhaps these kids can pull off some miracle in the next week, but I'm not holding my breath.  Returned home late, and had to deal with transferring my insurance over to my new car and upping my coverage a bit (as my financing mandates), so that I can actually take the car into my possession in the morning.

So, while I didn't manage to squeeze in a Samurai showdown, it was still a rather productive day.

Ahh, I hear rain on my window... always nice to fall asleep to.
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

Tomovoz

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2004, 01:34:53 AM »

Congratulations on your "new" wheels Jed.
James Thurber 1957

Michael

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2004, 04:17:22 AM »

Jay: Thanks for the good laugh from yesterday's posting
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2004, 04:22:54 AM »

The last show to be at the Playhouse Theater where The Miracle Worker played was the famous/infamous Springtime For Hitler by Franz Liebkind  and staged by Roger DeBris. Lorenzo St. DuBois played Adolph Hitler. The producers planned to close it on openning night, but it turned out to be a hit. So they blew up the theater.
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2004, 04:27:19 AM »

Epics:
Around the World in 80 Days
Ben-Hur
10 Commandments
The Sound of Music
West Side Story
Never stop dreaming.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2004, 05:03:24 AM »

Roadshow extravaganzas of the fifties and sixties? Spartacus is at the top of my list. Also: Around The World In Eighty Days, Dr. Zhivago, Oliver, Goodbye Mr. Chips.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2004, 05:04:20 AM by Dan-in-Toronto »

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2004, 05:09:40 AM »

Good morning, all!  I've got the SHERRY! CDs in my bag and I'm off to edit some Eubie Blake and Victor Herbert.  Strange double bill, n'est-ce pas?

TOD:  Epic films,  overtures, entr'actes, reserved seating, scheduled showings, the whole shebang:
CAMELOT
OLIVER!
FINIAN'S RAINBOW (I'm vague on this one now, but I swear there was an intermission!)
MY FAIR LADY
KING OF KINGS
CINERAMA 7 WONDERS OF THE WORLD (thought it was really hot in 1956 or so!)
BEN-HUR
AROUND THE WORLD IN 80 DAYS
IT'S A MAD, MAD WORLD
CLEOPATRA
SLEEPING BEAUTY (in Technirama 70! original showing in Dayton, OH, in reserved seating and showtimes)

"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2004, 05:10:27 AM »

How could I forget WEST SIDE STORY!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2004, 05:26:12 AM »

While The Alamo was not a favorite, the evening surrounding it was pretty epic. Bobby Fischman's parents always threw him an amazing party. That year it was dinner in his apartment (chili, I seem to recall), then on to see The Alamo. Each kid was given spending money for popcorn, drinks and candy. And after the party a chartered bus took each of us home.

(By the way, I wasn't on Bobby's A-list, or probably even his B-list. I was invited to three Bobby parties, but always by last-minute invitation. (I think it was because Bobby's mother put the pressure on.) "Sorrry, Bobby, I'm busy that night." Yeah, right.)
« Last Edit: April 20, 2004, 06:04:21 AM by Dan-in-Toronto »

td

• td
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2004, 06:14:07 AM »

Oh, yes, DR Elmore, FINIAN'S RAINBOW did indeed have an intermission!  It followed, not the rainbow, but "That Great Come and Get it Day."  I hope that when WB gets around to releasing the dvd that there are some extras, such as the recorded but not in the film, "Necessity."
As for TOD, the big event films of my childhood would be:
HOW THE WEST WAS WON
THE WONDERFUL WORLD OF THE BROTHERS GRIMM
IT'S A MAD, MAD, MAD, MAD WORLD
MARY POPPINS
MY FAIR LADY
THE SOUND OF MUSIC
THOROUGHLY MODERN MILLIE
HAWAII
FIDDLER ON THE ROOF
SWEET CHARITY
DOCTOR DOLITTLE
OLIVER!
FUNNY GIRL
HELLO, DOLLY!

And for epics:
HOW THE WEST WAS WON
GONE WITH THE WIND
CLEOPATRA
BEN-HUR
KING OF KINGS
THE TEN COMMANDMENTS
CIRCUS WORLD
55 DAYS AT PEKING
EXODUS
THE FALL OF THE ROMAN EMPIRE
DOCTOR ZHIVAGO
RYAN'S DAUGHTER
A PASSAGE TO INDIA
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

William E. Lurie

« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2004, 06:21:45 AM »

I know it is not considered very good by today's standards, but I loved AROUND THE WORLD IN 80 DAYS and I am looking forward to its release on DVD next month.  I also really enjoyed the eight hour, two part Russian film of WAR AND PEACE.

Last night was BROADWAY BY THE YEAR 1949, another excellent entry in the series which again presented both the familiar (songs from SOUTH PACIFIC) to the obscure ("The Humphrey Bogart Rhumba").  As the series contunues, more and more numbers are presented without amplification, and when you have singers like Martin Vidnovek who did the two Emile solos from SOUTH PACIFIC, you really get to hear the glory of the human voice.  Karen Ziemba was a delight as always, and her version of "Carefully Taught" was the best I'd ever heard outside the context of the show.  Cady Huffman showed she could do a lot more than look sexy like in THE PRODUCERS or WILL RODGERS FOLLIES... she sang a variety of numbers including some of Loreli's solos from GENTLEMEN PREFER BLONDES.  I had never seen Marla Schefler before, but she was wonderful, especially in MISS LIBERTY's cut "Mr. Monotony".  Except for Vidnovek, the male cast was less impressive.  However on the whole this was on a par with the best of the series.  Next and last for the season: 1963 with Raul Esparza and Julia Murney.
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2004, 06:41:21 AM »

DR S. Woody, Whoopi Goldberg's sitcom is taped with a live audience in NYC. I assumed Kelly Ripa's HOPE AND FAITH is also taped in NYC. I don't see how she can do her show with Regis every morning if her sitcom is done in LA, but there may be some allowances being made for her that allow the time away to be on the West Coast. To be honest, I've never watched an entire episode, so I've never seen the credits to see where it's being produced.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Ben

« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2004, 07:13:16 AM »

DRs Matt H. & Woody, Hope and Faith is taped in NY. It was part of Ripa's contract and her agreeing to do the show that it tape here in NYC. I don't know which studios they use (Astoria out in Queens or the 23rd Street Studios on the Hudson River) but it is shot here.

Ben

« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2004, 07:21:57 AM »

Posted my review of Kritzer Time at Amazon. Don't know if it's up yet, but it's there.

MBarnum

« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2004, 07:39:40 AM »

Golly, I just cannot keep my eyes open this morning! And I even went to be early last night.  Need more coffee.

Favorite epics would be THE TEN COMMANDMENTS (both the silent and sound versions).

Matt H.

« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2004, 07:43:48 AM »

Most fondly remembered epic film of my youth was HOW THE WEST WAS WON just because it was Cinerama in a gorgeous made-for-Cinerama theater, and that Alfred Newman music is, well, one of my favorite scores of all-time.

I, too, prefer KING OF KINGS to BEN-HUR. The latter has never been one of my favorite movies despite its popularity and 11 Oscars.

As for the musicals, well, THE SOUND OF MUSIC would have to rank first. It played a year and a half at one theater here in Charlotte easily breaking the long run record which CLEOPATRA had formerly held. No other movie, including DR. ZHIVAGO or 2001, was ever able to break its long run record here though they both played for several months at one venue.

Matt H.

« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2004, 07:46:55 AM »

Someone asked last night about Diet Coke with Lime. I absolutely LOVE it. I did not like Diet Coke with Lemon so I was wary of this new contoction, but the lime is much more subtle, and I think makes it just delicious. I have a pantry stocked full of it.

Panni

« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2004, 08:37:02 AM »

Jed, okay (as long as you get a note for the car dealer to excuse you) I forgive you for not showing up for the Samurai duel. Congrats on the new wheels.

And how could I forget My Fair Lady! University Theater on Bay St. in Toronto (also where I saw Sound of Music and Cleo).

Matt H - Yes "Regis and Kelly" comes out of NY. As does Letterman. Quite a few shows are done in NY - obviously not nearly as many as LA, but still, there are places for Broadway types to appear without leaving town.

Matt H.

« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2004, 08:39:42 AM »

Well, I don't have a definitive answer to why certain films need more restoration work than others, but it must have something to do with the storage. Maybe MGM had superior storage facilities to Columbia (LAWRENCE) or Universal (SPARTACUS). Remember that MY FAIR LADY (Warners) had also gone pale and needed a major restoration.

I know that in the 1980s and early 1990s when the first glimmerings of trouble with color films fading was beginning to be discussed, FILM COMMENT did a lengthy article with excerpts from Deluxe color films like CLEOPATRA and THERE'S NO BUSINESS LIKE SHOW BUSINESS showing how "pink" they had turned.

Panni

« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2004, 08:42:26 AM »

Sorry, I meant to address my "what comes out of NY" musings to SWW, not Matt H. ::)

Maya

• I've always wanted to see the lights of Broadway..
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #26 on: April 20, 2004, 08:45:26 AM »

I saw "Jersey Girl" last night!!  I liked it MUCH more than I was expecting to, and not just because there was a 7 year old Mrs. Lovett doing "God, That's Good" in her school pageant.  It was very sweet, funny and genuinely touching without being too treacly.  Well, maybe it WAS a little treacly actually, but it wasn't phony about it.  And Ben Affleck was very good, as he can be on occasion.  I liked Liv Tyler and George Carlin too, and J. Lo was tolerable since her character died within the first 15 minutes.  I hope Kevin Smith will make more films like this.

I went to see it with my mom because it's been sooo long since we've gone to a movie together.  We were both in tears at the end, and she kept going on about how the little girl reminded her of me at that age.  Both half-Hispanic, into musicals and just a bit precocious, lol.

WEL--I'm so jealous of you, seeing all those Broadway by the Years!

Marla Schaffel is faboo.  I was wondering what happened to her after "Jane Eyre."  I knew she had done a "Sound of Music" tour, but that's it.

TD--WOW, THANK YOU for listing me as a star-to-be, lol, in yesterday's posts!  :-*  And I can't believe I forgot to list Donna Lynne Champlin!  She's absolutely amazing.

I don't really know too many epic films, but I too shall list "The Sound of Music," "West Side Story" and "My Fair Lady."

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #27 on: April 20, 2004, 09:01:36 AM »

The Finian's intermission happened directly after the hilarious Al Freeman, Jr. scene of delivering the drinks.  I remember it as if it were yesterday.

Jennifer

« Reply #28 on: April 20, 2004, 09:08:10 AM »

« Last Edit: April 20, 2004, 09:10:26 AM by Jennifer »

Jennifer

« Reply #29 on: April 20, 2004, 09:11:52 AM »

Sorry about the temporary widescreen. Sometimes those links do it!

Fixed now.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up