Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: LET ME COUNT THE WAYS  (Read 46636 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:LET ME COUNT THE WAYS
« Reply #30 on: April 20, 2004, 09:12:52 AM »

Men with loud machines are outside my window.

Jenny

• May we come to trust the dreams we must fulfill.
« Reply #31 on: April 20, 2004, 09:32:44 AM »

I don’t quite understand what makes a film "epic".  I was expecting people to list painfully long movies like "The Ten Commandments"!  

Yesterday, SWoodyWhite offered "New concept for Hello, Dolly!  Since it's based on a play by Thornton Wilder, who also wrote Our Town, let's merge the two and have a setless HD!  Dolly enters the Harmonia Gardens by way of a step-ladder."

I’m sad to say that you’re not far off target.  Yesterday, the cast was introduced to our beautiful sets: large planks of wood.  I assume that they will be painted, but they’ll still be large planks of wood.  Also, they’re not on wheels, so in order to move said planks of wood, we have to push them over thin strips of carpeting.  

Dolly enters the Harmonia Gardens by way of two stairs.  The stairs were once a platform that the school librarian used to access books on the top shelf.

More later, for the bell has rung and chemistry is calling!
"I am always thinking of myself, and I expect everyone else to do the same.  That is what is called sympathy." -Oscar Wilde

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #32 on: April 20, 2004, 09:41:43 AM »

Now, where in tarnation IS everyone?

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #33 on: April 20, 2004, 09:43:12 AM »

This morning I went for a walk, and this is what I saw:
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #34 on: April 20, 2004, 09:44:17 AM »

I don't know from epics, but I suppose I'd like anything with Gregory Peck.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #35 on: April 20, 2004, 09:44:46 AM »

I'M STILL HERE!!!

BK-

Where is your promised DVD review of SWEENEY TODD??

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #36 on: April 20, 2004, 09:46:01 AM »

Tomorrow's notes for Sweeney

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #37 on: April 20, 2004, 09:47:22 AM »

BK, there is an advertising supplement for the Festival of Books in today's LA TIMES.  Your publisher has taken an ad out for its authors, of which you are one, of course, tagged with a snippet of my blurb for KRITZER TIME.

Favourite roadshow epics:  El Cid, Spartacus.

I also bits of KING OF KINGS last night.  It's quite well done in the way they have integrated all the disparate stories of John the Baptist, Herod, Pilate, Salome, Judas, Barabas, the Centurion, etc.  And what a wonderfully strong and odd cast, featuring two of my favourite quirky actors..Hurd Hatfield as Pilate and Frank Thring as Herod...three, if you count Rip Torn as Judas.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #38 on: April 20, 2004, 09:47:25 AM »

Major film fare for me in my early years included "Old Yeller" (which was a major box-office hit) and "Sleeping Beauty" (which Disney set high hopes upon, only to be disappointed by its reception).  I loved both those films.

My mother took me to see "Exodus", which was overwhelming to me, and "King of Kings", which was, again overwhelming.  I never saw "Ben-Hur" or "El Cid" or "Spartacus" in their first releases.

Two epics captured my attention, though, through magazine articles and newspaper stories:  "Mutiny on the Bounty" and "Cleopatra."

Brando in Tahiti and Liz in, first, London, and later, Rome, were the primary "movie stars" of the early 1960s.  Both were given extraordinary salaries for these movies and both wielded enormous influence over how the productions were being handled.

I wasn't able to see "Mutiny on the Bounty" until early in 1963, but meanwhile:

A huge event for me came in the summer of 1962 when I was visiting an aunt and uncle in Asheville NC and my aunt took me to see "The Music Man."  The theater was decked out in all kinds of National Theater Service regalia...lots of posters and huge banners and tons of lobby cards and stills all over the entry and in the lobby.  And what a great movie!!!!

Later that summer, I discovered "Gypsy" (which I thought merited as much fuss as "The Music Man," but didn't get any of it).

It was in the fall of 1962 that I encountered one of the most remarkable films I'd ever seen (and it's true to this day):  "To Kill A Mockingbird."

When "...Bounty" opened, it was clear across town and my mother and I went to see it.  I was mesmerized and thoroughly delighted with it.  One of my Christmas presents had been the boxed deluxe edition of the soundtrack with the souvenir book and it was well-played for years and years.

After the Oscar show that year, one which delighted me for Gregory Peck's acting Oscar and Ray Heindorf's music adaptation Oscar for "The Music Man," I was pretty much bummed that "...Bounty" hadn't won anything and more than a little curious about this film called "Lawrence of Arabia."  It was several months before "Lawrence..." came to town, too, but when it did, I had my first major dose of David Lean and the power of a great vision.  As overwhelming a visual masterpiece as I think this film is, it still doesn't hold a higher place in my esteem than "TKAM," but being from the South and understanding what that meant in Harper Lee's story, I connected more readily to it.  I still do.

In the spring of that year, I saw a rerelease showing of "The Robe".  It was the most amazing display of CinemaScope I'd ever seen...the Carolina Theater in Greenville had the state's first and largest CinemaScope screen but I'd never seen the screen filled up, with the curtains all the way open before.  It was electrifying for me.  I still hold a special place in my heart for this film, especially for its astounding music score.

The first true roadshow to hit Greenville, SC (where I grew up) that I recall, where you had to reserve seats, was "Cleopatra."  This was in 1963, several months after its big city engagements had begun.  It seemed fitting, somehow, because it was the most-talked about, most-reported on, and easily the most-hyped film ever made up to that time (and possibly since).  Infamous is also what it was, but it was an international cause de celebre.  Fox had spent more money on that film than any other and it nearly bankrupted them.  What we saw in Greenville was a cut version of the film that opened in New York.  It played two performances a day, though and was well over 3 hours long.  I remember being in awe of its production design, its spectacle, but a little less impressed with Taylor and Burton than I thought I'd be.
The next roadshow film to hit Greenville was "The Sound of Music" in May 1965.  "Lawrence..." and "...Bounty" had certainly been roadshows in major cities, but were in continuous runs and popular prices by the time they hit Greenville.  I'm not sure why Fox didn't put "Cleopatra" into popular prices earlier than it did, but they handled "The Sound of Music" much differently than any other film.  This was an extraordinary event.  20th-Fox cannily saw early on that this film resonated with audiences more than anything they'd ever experienced.  They made more prints for "roadshow" performances than they'd ever done with any movie and got this movie out into circulation very quickly.  We had to reserve seats to see "SOM" in Greenville and that made it very special to us.  I was in the first night audience, dead center, and I was enthralled.  I saw the film again and again and again over the three-plus months it played to packed houses in Greenville.  The film was a phenomenon wherever it played, which included four years in London.

In early 1966, "Doctor Zhivago" opened as a roadshow.  I carted my mom off to see that and it remains her favorite film, although I'm not "that" fond of it.

Other films would play as roadshows in future years, too, like "Oliver!" and "Funny Girl" and "Camelot."  while "The Fall of the Roman Empire" and "Finian's Rainbow" would weigh in at popular prices.  

None were as satisfying to me as "TKAM", but they were "events".

Those were staggeringly difficult years for me, too:  My teens, high school, assassinations of John Kennedy, Robert Kennedy and, when I was in college, Martin Luther King Jr., plus we were experiencing the cold war, and we had problems in Cuba, including the Bay of Pigs -- all this going on while I was trying to cope with growing up and dealing with my peers.  The horors of Viet Nam were their own worst nightmares and they got worse and worse throughout the decade.  Guys I went to high school with and to college died in Viet Nam before I graduated from college.  So it was, in some cases, the movies -- special movies -- that made a huge impact on a lot of people during those times.

I know that we are still in trying times and I'm sure some movies resonate with young people more than they do for those of us who have our own special memories.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2004, 11:42:35 AM by RLP »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

MBarnum

« Reply #39 on: April 20, 2004, 09:49:30 AM »

I want a job where I can sleep in as long as I like and I can surf the internet, take naps, and shop. Is there such a job availalbe that I can apply for?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #40 on: April 20, 2004, 09:51:35 AM »

My reaction to seeing the roadshow of Exodus is in Kritzer Time.

I've been championing Frank Thring since I first saw King of Kings at the Egyptian back in '61.  "Dansssssssssssssse, Sssssssssalome."  Love Frank.  And WEHT Bridget Bazlen?

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #41 on: April 20, 2004, 10:03:52 AM »

I want a job where I can sleep in as long as I like and I can surf the internet, take naps, and shop. Is there such a job availalbe that I can apply for?

If you find one, I'll be your competition for it!!

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #42 on: April 20, 2004, 10:12:17 AM »

RLP - Enjoyed reading your memories around the various films.

The one roadshow film experience that I have the strongest memories around is THE SOUND OF MUSIC. My mother, stepfather and I were all set to go - reserved seats, a very special treat for me. I'd been looking forward to it for weeks. Some friends of theirs were also coming. But about an hour before we were to leave, my stepfather found out that my mother had bought me a new winter coat -- and a huge fight errupted. Not only a coat, but expensive movie tickets! (BTW - I needed the coat and it was my mother's money, earned from her work.)
My mother decided that to keep the peace she would stay home with my father and I would go with their friends, use my ticket and sell the other two. So I wound up going to the film with people I barely knew. I was really upset -- but once the movie started with that glorious shot, I forgot everything and was transported to another world - where I was VERY glad to be (and would have preferred to stay rather than go home). That's what movies are all about.

Jennifer

« Reply #43 on: April 20, 2004, 10:18:46 AM »

It looks like that squirrel stopped to pose for you!

How did you get it to do that?

Jennifer

« Reply #44 on: April 20, 2004, 10:21:51 AM »

Btw, if anyone has any Atkins friendly recipes, please share them.  So many things I want to make have sauces full of flour/corn starch.

I tried something quite interesting last night.  It was stuffed zucchinis (sp?).  The recipe said to half them and core them.  And stuff them with ground meat, feta. And I also used onions, mushrooms and tomatoes.  It was quite good.

<made some stuffed peppers too.>

MBarnum

« Reply #45 on: April 20, 2004, 10:43:56 AM »

Jennifer, that zucchini recipe sounds tasty. I might have to try that one!

Elmore3003 and Tomovoz, watch for the mailman this week!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #46 on: April 20, 2004, 10:59:11 AM »

Oh my - roadshow and epic movies.

I would scan the newspapers waiting for these movies to come to town.

Among my favorites (most already listed):

The Ten Commandments - the modified Paramount Logo and the Elmer Bernstein music just sent you off on a wild ride.

The Sound of Music - played for YEARS at the Lyric Theatre in Indy...saw it three times and loved it each time.

Ice Station Zebra & Where Eagles Dare - big "war" pictures that played the big house with souvenir books and EVERYTHING.

Cleopatra - to be sure.  Seemed like a mixed up mess to me.

King of Kings - Jeffrey Hunter and EVERYONE except Royal Dano, who gets on my last nerve!

West Side Story - the stereo was fantastic!

I loved it when people got dressed up to go to the movies, and were quiet and watched the film, and you had a good time!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

William E. Lurie

« Reply #47 on: April 20, 2004, 11:00:54 AM »

BK---
I think that hilarious scene in FINIAN'S RAINBOW --- the non-musical highlight of most productions --- is cut from the revival (which keeps getting more raves).  I saw the one-night benefit that this production is based on and it was out then.  People don't realize that this scene is not making fun of Black stereotypes... it is the college grad Blackman who sticks it to his White boss.  
« Last Edit: April 20, 2004, 11:01:33 AM by William E. Lurie »
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #48 on: April 20, 2004, 11:01:23 AM »

Oh - and a film that RLP mentioned in his great post:

Mutiny on the Bounty with Marlon Brando.  I love this movie as well.  The music is wonderful.

And I am not sure if it was a roadshow engagement, but I saw a movie at a BIG house in Indy

The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse with Glenn Ford that I also loved.  Again great music...Andre Previn...and I think it came out on CD last year!

Jennifer

« Reply #49 on: April 20, 2004, 11:05:18 AM »

Jennifer, that zucchini recipe sounds tasty. I might have to try that one!

I boiled them first cause I wanted them softer.  But the recipe just said to bake it at 350F for about 20 minutes. I baked it longer. But I think it depends if you like your veggies firm.

Jennifer

« Reply #50 on: April 20, 2004, 11:06:59 AM »

Wow not much action here today!

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #51 on: April 20, 2004, 11:12:53 AM »

BK, there is an advertising supplement for the Festival of Books in today's LA TIMES.  Your publisher has taken an ad out for its authors, of which you are one, of course, tagged with a snippet of my blurb for KRITZER TIME.

I'm confused. ???  Either one of us is Time Traveling or I missed something in today's Times. The supplement you describe was one I saw in Sunday's paper (bk posted about it, as well).

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #52 on: April 20, 2004, 11:15:01 AM »

Someone asked last night about Diet Coke with Lime. I absolutely LOVE it. I did not like Diet Coke with Lemon so I was wary of this new contoction, but the lime is much more subtle, and I think makes it just delicious. I have a pantry stocked full of it.

I loved Diet Coke with Lime when it first came out but it seems to me that subsequent shipments of it are indistinguishable in taste from Diet Coke with Lemon.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2004, 11:15:42 AM by Dan (the Man) »
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #53 on: April 20, 2004, 11:17:54 AM »

DR S. Woody, Whoopi Goldberg's sitcom is taped with a live audience in NYC. I assumed Kelly Ripa's HOPE AND FAITH is also taped in NYC. I don't see how she can do her show with Regis every morning if her sitcom is done in LA, but there may be some allowances being made for her that allow the time away to be on the West Coast. To be honest, I've never watched an entire episode, so I've never seen the credits to see where it's being produced.

I have a friend who works occasionally on HOPE AND FAITH, and I believe she told me it's shot in Queens.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #54 on: April 20, 2004, 11:20:05 AM »

WEL: If they cut that scene they are beyond stupid.  It's the whole point of the scene - that that character is getting the white idiot back in a way that the white idiot will understand.  How dumb can you get?

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #55 on: April 20, 2004, 11:27:41 AM »

Yes, DR MBarnum, there is:  I believe they're called kept men,
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #56 on: April 20, 2004, 11:30:57 AM »

Yes, DR MBarnum, there is:  I believe they're called kept men,

But remember:  it stops being fun when it starts being work

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #57 on: April 20, 2004, 11:35:57 AM »

I’ve never seen a "road show" presentation of a movie...they were before my time.  As for my favorite "epic" films (the official Topic of the Day), here are most of my favorites:

10 Commandments
Around the World in 80 Days
Gone With the Wind
It’s a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World
Sound of Music
Star Trek:  The Motion Picture
Star Wars (a.k.a. "Star Wars IV: A New Hope")
West Side Story
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #58 on: April 20, 2004, 11:47:58 AM »

Panni:  How awful parental fights can be.  And over something like a coat?

If you had been a spoiled princess getting a coat you did not need, there might be cause for words, but to ruin a family evening over what you described.

I can tell you this, in commiseration:  The dinner table is where all my parents' gripes and grievances were aired.  I remember many meals being virtually unswallowable.  To this day, if someone starts chastising someone at a table where I'm dining, I get up and leave.  
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #59 on: April 20, 2004, 11:57:21 AM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up