Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: LET ME COUNT THE WAYS  (Read 46646 times)

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
Re:LET ME COUNT THE WAYS
« Reply #90 on: April 20, 2004, 02:33:35 PM »

Another from Hong Kong Confidential co-starring with Mr Gene Barry.  Notice the red toreador pants with black embroidered trim, hoop earrings, and heart-shaped ring - on Miss Hayes, of course.
Mr. Barry getting his chance with La Cage aux Folles (but, gentleman that he is, letting Mr. Hearn have the honors instead).
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #91 on: April 20, 2004, 02:41:04 PM »

JRand53 - RE toreador/capri/clamdigger: Surely no one can say that this is not THE most educational site on the internet.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #92 on: April 20, 2004, 02:49:52 PM »

Just realized - wasn't Ron Randell from KING OF KINGS the actor who played Cole Porter in KISS ME KATE?
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #93 on: April 20, 2004, 02:50:51 PM »

Ain't it the truth DRPANNI?

MBarnum

« Reply #94 on: April 20, 2004, 02:59:30 PM »

Wow, and what about Peddle Pushers?

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #95 on: April 20, 2004, 03:00:05 PM »

Or culottes.

And poodle skirts?
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #96 on: April 20, 2004, 03:06:15 PM »

Did any Dear Reader experience shock, as I did, upon discovering that the melody for "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star" is the same as that of "The Alphabet Song?"  And that of "Baa-baa Black Sheep?"  And that of "Ah!  Vous Dirais-je Maman?"

(Well, truth be told, my discovery of the latter came long after the others.)
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

MBarnum

« Reply #97 on: April 20, 2004, 03:07:50 PM »

Speaking of culottes, has anyone ever noticed that in SILK STOCKINGS Cyd Charisse is wearing a brown skirt during one of the dance numbers and that brown skirt turns into culottes in a couple of the shots? This has disturbed me since I was a child.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #98 on: April 20, 2004, 03:20:18 PM »

Yes, Ron Randell played Cole.  When I did Forget-Me-Not Lane at the Mark Taper Forum, I showed up at rehearsal one day to find Mr. Randell there - he understudied John McMartin.  He never got to go on, which is too bad.  Terrific actor, and he was thrilled that I remembered him right away from King of Kings and some sci fi movie I can't think of the name of right now.

MBarnum

« Reply #99 on: April 20, 2004, 03:34:06 PM »

I do believe Ron Randall was in THE SHE CREATURE (1956).

Jennifer

« Reply #100 on: April 20, 2004, 04:04:44 PM »

Hey nobody did the Page Four dance.

Almost time for American Idol!

Barry Manilow night.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #101 on: April 20, 2004, 04:11:04 PM »

Panni, my bad it was the Sunday supplement, somehow it was cluttered in with today's paper.

Jane, What were you saying about me?  I've been up to my ass in pre-production notes. I've spent the last two days responsing to the directors' notes which he sends at 11:00 on Sunday evening.  Do I have to go back and check Sunday's posts?

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #102 on: April 20, 2004, 04:11:32 PM »

Yes MBARNUM that CydCharisse costume change has bothered me, too, nearly as much as Ann Miller's change from heels to flats in the middle of the scene in EASTER PARADE.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #103 on: April 20, 2004, 04:12:46 PM »

Was Randall the one who played the Centurion?  Nice role, good job.

Robin

« Reply #104 on: April 20, 2004, 04:12:54 PM »

Went to the post office earlier today to mail some packages. Got the new Henry Mancini stamp. Nice to see him honored in this way.

I simply must get me some of the Mancini stamps.  

One of my (many!) quirks is that I am incapable of using those generic "American Flag" stamps...I always buy something colorful and fun.  Like the "Famous Movie Monsters" or "Hollywood Film Composers" stamps, which I bought lots and lots of.  And I still have sets of them, secreted away...
Mankind needs God...like fish need bicycles!

Panni

« Reply #105 on: April 20, 2004, 04:19:02 PM »

I think I may rename my dog "Wussburger"... I'm sitting at my desk working away and suddenly he gallumphs over and lies down as close as he can possibly get to me. ...Why? Because under the open window a cat is meowing.

Panni

« Reply #106 on: April 20, 2004, 04:21:17 PM »

I simply must get me some of the Mancini stamps.  
One of my (many!) quirks is that I am incapable of using those generic "American Flag" stamps...I always buy something colorful and fun.

When you go to get the Mancini stamps, make sure to ask if they have any of the recent Dr. Seuss stamps left. They're great fun.

Robin

« Reply #107 on: April 20, 2004, 04:23:18 PM »

ask if they have any of the recent Dr. Seuss stamps left. They're great fun.

Will do!

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #108 on: April 20, 2004, 04:27:28 PM »

Yes MBARNUM that CydCharisse costume change has bothered me, too, nearly as much as Ann Miller's change from heels to flats in the middle of the scene in EASTER PARADE.

What truly disturbs me is that you guys NOTICE these things!!!

:)
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Robin

« Reply #109 on: April 20, 2004, 04:32:15 PM »

In the movie Anatomy of a Murder, Lee Remick changes from slacks to a skirt (or was is a skirt to slacks?  It's been years since I've seen the movie...) during the course of a scene.  

Dunno what it was about Lee Remick...I could never take my eyes off of her.  

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #110 on: April 20, 2004, 04:35:38 PM »

Forgot about that one DR ROBIN.  

And yes, CP, Randell was the Centurion.

LOL RLP - what bothers me is that YOU don't!

Jennifer

« Reply #111 on: April 20, 2004, 04:37:16 PM »

I made the most delicious shrimps tonight.

I got them at Club Price. They are shrimps but called scampi shrimps.  They are frozen in butter sauce.

You heat it in a pan and watch the butter melt, and the shrimps turn white with orange edges.

I made it with mushy cauliflower and it was like heaven!

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #112 on: April 20, 2004, 04:40:03 PM »

I notice things like the disappearing/reappearing soda glass and coffee cup in the soda shop scene in "The Natural."

But today is the first time I can remember men discussing capri pants, toreador pants, clamdiggers and peddle pushers outside of an Andy Warhol movie.

:)
« Last Edit: April 20, 2004, 07:00:54 PM by RLP »

Panni

« Reply #113 on: April 20, 2004, 04:42:41 PM »

I'm sure Stephen Sondheim will be relieved to hear that as of today he is permanently on my A-List. He has tenure, so to speak. The reason is that I'm just now catching up with the Arts&Leisure section of the Sunday NY Times. Among the Letters to the Editor, there is one from him which begins...
"The headline accompanying Zachary Pincus-Roth's article (Apr.11) -- "Murderers' Row: Who Plays Whom in Stephen Sondheim's 'Assassins'" -- should have read "John Weidman and Stephen Sondheim's 'Assassins.'" Book writers rarely receive the credit they deserve for musicals, and this omission was an especailly egregious one." ... and he goes on.
I love you, Steve!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #114 on: April 20, 2004, 04:46:57 PM »

...But today is the first time I can remember men discussing capri pants, toreador pants and peddle pushers outside of an Andy Warhol movie.
Clearly, somebody has never been on a gay motorcycle club run.

::)
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #115 on: April 20, 2004, 05:02:46 PM »

Sometimes there are things that I miss out on, having moved from SoCal.  

A major example is that a couple of friends of ours in that area, Daniel and James (and yes, I do mean couple), have expanded their family, giving six-year-old Caleb a four-year-old brother named Alfred.  These guys are great dads, and I'm so glad to know that their family is now even more complete.

So, the question remains: if this is a family, why can't the parents marry?

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #116 on: April 20, 2004, 05:05:44 PM »

Der Brucer has American Yodel on the television.  It'll be a great opportunity to hear Barry mangled so.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #117 on: April 20, 2004, 05:11:29 PM »

Will someone who is good at this sort of thing tell me what the Thursday date around April 26th in 1969 would have been.  Whichever Thursday falls during the third week of April, that's what I need.

td

• td
« Reply #118 on: April 20, 2004, 05:28:50 PM »

Will someone who is good at this sort of thing tell me what the Thursday date around April 26th in 1969 would have been.  Whichever Thursday falls during the third week of April, that's what I need.

Thursdays in April 1969 would have been: 3, 10, 17, and 24.
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Danise

« Reply #119 on: April 20, 2004, 05:39:26 PM »

Evening all!

I’m sorry, Jane, I took the old avatar down because it’s no longer Easter but just didn’t get around to posting the new/old one.  I’ll work on it.

You guys stole all of my epic choices!  I demand you give some back!  That’s the trouble when you post so late in the day.  All the good stuff is already gone!

As far as the first Star Trek movie, everyone knows it’s REAL title was/is: Star Trek: The Motionless Picture.   I love Star Trek but I couldn’t stand it.  Talk about  “Are we there yet?”.    ZZZZZZ.  Sorry, Robin.

Jed, congrats on the new (to you) car!  I’ve never owned a new car/van/truck of any type so anything I didn’t own before is brand new to me!

Jennifer, are there any kind of recipes you are looking for?  I have the South Beach book which has some recipes in it that I’m sure could be used for Adkins.

I'm kinda doing my own thing.  A mix of Adkins/South Beach/just cutting back.  
Touch Magic, Pass it on!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up