Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down

Author Topic: PUT A LITTLE PEPPER ON IT  (Read 13721 times)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
Re: PUT A LITTLE PEPPER ON IT
« Reply #120 on: April 10, 2010, 05:30:56 PM »

Did you want me to mention your impending visit to BRAINEX when I see it tomorrow, MR BK?
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #121 on: April 10, 2010, 05:33:05 PM »

Now this is the spot that the guy was trying to pull into without striking the curb (which he didn't strike) and my car is exactly where it was yesterday.

I can see why it was so difficult to park. ::)

Where were you at the time?

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #122 on: April 10, 2010, 05:41:02 PM »

Now this is the spot that the guy was trying to pull into without striking the curb (which he didn't strike) and my car is exactly where it was yesterday.

I can see why it was so difficult to park. ::)

Where were you at the time?

I was backing out of my space.  I was going very slowly, because on the other side of me was this jackass with his long bed pick-up.  I was afraid I would be hit by a car I couldn't see coming, but I was still within the white lines.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #123 on: April 10, 2010, 05:44:03 PM »

Just finished Mr. BIG's book.  A very brief 160 pages (plus about sixty pages of great photos), he has some lovely stories about his childhood and intro into the business, although one might have wished for more info.  The style of the book is fine, and Bert is a good storyteller, and I've been told that some errors in the text will be corrected.
And yet newspapers and some publishers are doing away with copy editors, saying they are an unnecessary expense. Fact checkers (I did type that "fat" checkers first) are also in short supply. One of my favorites of those errors was in the Fosse bio, "Razzle Dazzle," in which a photo of Thelma Oliver in "Sweet Charity" is identified as Thelma Ritter.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2010, 12:20:53 PM by bk »
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #124 on: April 10, 2010, 05:44:24 PM »

Oh...I just looked....and my review of the BRAIN FROM PLANET X cd is the "most helpful favorable review."  And 12 out of 13 people found the review "helpful."

I don't think I need to cast a wide net to imagine who number 13 was.

td

• td
« Reply #125 on: April 10, 2010, 05:51:17 PM »

>>>>HUGS DR TCB<<<<<
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #126 on: April 10, 2010, 06:03:33 PM »

Did you want me to mention your impending visit to BRAINEX when I see it tomorrow, MR BK?

I've mentioned it to the director - as a possibility.  It's going to have to be this coming weekend - looking forward to your report.  I think I'd fly directly to Indianapolis, since that's where the theater is, stay overnight, and then go visit the Pogue's for a couple of days.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #127 on: April 10, 2010, 06:05:22 PM »

Just finished Mr. BIG's book.  A very brief 160 pages (plus about sixty pages of great photos), he has some lovely stories about his childhood and intro into the business, although one might have wished for more info.  The style of the book is fine, and Bert is a good storyteller, and I've been told that some errors in the text will be corrected.
And yet newspapers and some publishers are doing away with copy editors, saying they are an unnecessary expense. Fact checkers (I did type that "fat" checkers first) are also in short supply. One of my favorites of those errors was in the Fosse bio, "Razzle Dazzle," in which a photo of Thelma Oliver in "Sweet Charity" is identified as Thelma Ritter.

It's really pretty shocking, actually.  I'm praying we've caught almost everything during the last go-through, where I caught about five name misspellings and got them fixed. 
« Last Edit: April 11, 2010, 12:21:21 PM by bk »

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #128 on: April 10, 2010, 06:15:02 PM »

I've mentioned it to the director - as a possibility.  It's going to have to be this coming weekend - looking forward to your report.  I think I'd fly directly to Indianapolis, since that's where the theater is, stay overnight, and then go visit the Pogue's for a couple of days.

Okay......I didn't know you had been in contact with Scott.  I shall report tomorrow....and we will go from there.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #129 on: April 10, 2010, 06:18:21 PM »

Time for some TEE VEE.

John G.

« Reply #130 on: April 10, 2010, 06:20:37 PM »

It's really pretty shocking, actually.  I'm praying we've caught almost everything during the last go-through, where I caught about five name misspellings and got them fixed. 
If there's time and you want an extra set of eyes on it, I've got the time to give it a look.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2010, 12:21:41 PM by bk »
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

Laura

« Reply #131 on: April 10, 2010, 06:40:00 PM »

This morning I went for a walk, and this is what I saw:

DR Laura, I never tell you enough, but your photos are really something amazing.

Thanks, Elmore. Two out of about fifty photos worth keeping. The big kids had real cameras. I always let them get in front to get their shots first.
"That's a lotta hamsters."

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #132 on: April 10, 2010, 07:05:11 PM »

Well, I have sent my photos off to the claims adjuster, so there is nothing more for me to do until Monday.
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #133 on: April 10, 2010, 07:05:47 PM »

Bedtime for Bozo.

G'night!
“One thing’s universal,

Ginny

« Reply #134 on: April 10, 2010, 07:07:20 PM »

DR TCB - I'm sorry to hear about yesterday's accident.  Sleep well...
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ginny

« Reply #135 on: April 10, 2010, 07:08:46 PM »

I've been away from the computer for several hours - taking a nap, dining with family, and doing crossword puzzles while they watched a movie, Heaven's Prisoners.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #136 on: April 10, 2010, 07:09:18 PM »

If there's time and you want an extra set of eyes on it, I've got the time to give it a look.

Too late now - it's on its way to the printer.  But we were pretty thorough the last five times through, I think - at least I hope we were.  If not, it won't be anything too too horrible, I hope.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2010, 12:22:00 PM by bk »

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #137 on: April 10, 2010, 07:09:27 PM »

I got an e-mail from Disney alerting me that the Blu-rays of ARMAGEDDON and TOMBSTONE are in the mail. They are scheduled to arrive mid-week, but they don't come out until the 27th so that's plenty of lead time.

I also see that two "monumental masterpieces" of cinema art are scheduled for release in the coming months, and it will fall on me to review them more than likely: ELECKTRA and SHOWGIRLS. Oy!

Wouldn't that be more of a warning than an alert?

I think I would rather sit through SHOWGIRLS than to endure ARMAGEDDON for a second time.

And I feel just the opposite. ARMAGEDDON, for all its cheesiness, is a guilty pleasure I enjoy revisiting. I know lots of people find SHOWGIRLS campy fun, but I think it ranks with the all-time worst movies ever made and is PAINFUL to sit through. I don't even find it funny on an Ed Wood level. It's just bad.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #138 on: April 10, 2010, 07:10:48 PM »

Okay, I've booked the Indiana trip.  I arrive in Indianapolis at seven-twenty on the 15th.  See the show on the 16th.  Go to Kentucky afterwards to stay and visit with the Pogues, and then come back to LA on the morning of the 18th. 

Matt H.

« Reply #139 on: April 10, 2010, 07:18:02 PM »

When I went back down, I finished the last 75 minutes of THE NEGOTIATOR. Continued to find the transfer one of the best I've seen in a while.

Matt H.

« Reply #140 on: April 10, 2010, 07:18:48 PM »

Then, I felt like a musical, so I watched CHICAGO on Blu-ray. I loved it from the first moment I saw it, and I still love it.

Matt H.

« Reply #141 on: April 10, 2010, 07:20:34 PM »

I also took the time tonight to watch ALL of the bonus features on the Blu-ray (ported over from the second DVD release). By that time, the film had won its Oscars, so several people commented on that. I really enjoyed the stories about the stage version, a nice set of interviews with folks who were there.

Matt H.

« Reply #142 on: April 10, 2010, 07:21:12 PM »

But CHICAGO finished after I LOVE YOU, MAN had started, so I'll have to watch it another time. Maybe tomorrow night. We'll see.

Matt H.

« Reply #143 on: April 10, 2010, 07:22:09 PM »

Tomorrow will be a work day since I took today off. I'll be working on RIDE WITH THE DEVIL, the Ang Lee Civil War film I've never seen. That should be an interesting movie. The cast looks very good, so I'll be interested to see how it all comes together.

John G.

« Reply #144 on: April 10, 2010, 07:32:38 PM »

Finishing off the day with "Make Way for Tomorrow," which just arrived at the library. Great to see Victor Moore do a drama, and I can really feel where this would have inspired "Tokyo Story," one of my all-time favorites.
― Voltaire

Matt H.

« Reply #145 on: April 10, 2010, 07:44:25 PM »

Finishing off the day with "Make Way for Tomorrow," which just arrived at the library. Great to see Victor Moore do a drama, and I can really feel where this would have inspired "Tokyo Story," one of my all-time favorites.

I enjoyed the film very much, especially the idyllic sequences at the end which were really heartrending.

Matt H.

« Reply #146 on: April 10, 2010, 07:45:17 PM »

Now, I guess I'll turn everything off up here and head downstairs to bed. Lots to do tomorrow with laundry and that long, long movie with two commentaries for my work project.

Good night!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #147 on: April 10, 2010, 07:49:17 PM »

R.I.P. Dixie Carter

:(
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #148 on: April 10, 2010, 07:56:31 PM »

Good Evening!

Is it still Saturday?
Make Your Own Luck.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #149 on: April 10, 2010, 07:57:17 PM »

I just wached my favorite episode of the BONES Second season: the car burial and the Gravedigger. The next one's the Blair Witch parody, which I've never seen complete on TNT, so I think I will watch that and go to bed.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up