Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: EARTING  (Read 14963 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
EARTING
« on: May 22, 2010, 12:04:29 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, the notes were written whilst earting, and now it is time for you to post until the earting cows come home.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re: EARTING
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2010, 12:05:03 AM »

And the word of the day is: BAKSHEESH!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2010, 12:20:55 AM »

Welcome six GUESTS. 

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2010, 12:21:28 AM »

I wonder if I'll hear from Michael John LaChiusa - he's written when I didn't have something good to say - so, I hope he sees today's notes :)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2010, 12:39:32 AM »

Welcome twelve GUESTS.

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2010, 02:54:47 AM »

Up early for work again. Too early.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2010, 02:55:02 AM »

Let's kick-start the head.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2010, 02:58:13 AM »

TOD: I would have to say that Flaherty and Ahrens are my favorites writing for today's theater, though I have noticed them using some of the same framing techniques in several of their shows. The "we tell this story" from "Once on This Island" comes up in "Dessa Rose" and "The Glorious Ones." It may work on each show, but not when you listen to them back to back. "Once on This Island" is probably my favorite of their works, though "Ragtime" has some powerful moments. I have a soft spot for "Ragtime," too, beccause I read the book three or four times in high school.
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2010, 03:04:02 AM »

To respond to a comment from DR Edisaurus last night: Are you using "Sitting Watching Jason (Play Baseball)" from "Falsettos"? It was one of the first references I can remember to Jews and Baseball. And certainly hilarious.
― Voltaire

Michael

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2010, 04:00:31 AM »

TOD: I would have to say that Flaherty and Ahrens are my favorites writing for today's theater, though I have noticed them using some of the same framing techniques in several of their shows. The "we tell this story" from "Once on This Island" comes up in "Dessa Rose" and "The Glorious Ones." It may work on each show, but not when you listen to them back to back. "Once on This Island" is probably my favorite of their works, though "Ragtime" has some powerful moments. I have a soft spot for "Ragtime," too, beccause I read the book three or four times in high school.

My favorite is Lucky Stiff. No framing there
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2010, 04:08:13 AM »

To respond to a comment from DR Edisaurus last night: Are you using "Sitting Watching Jason (Play Baseball)" from "Falsettos"? It was one of the first references I can remember to Jews and Baseball. And certainly hilarious.

If you have and if you don't get William Finn's Infinite Joy. A cabaret of his songs. Stephen DeRose does a hilarious take on the baseball game. He sings all the parts from the Falsettos Production at the East Milford Community Center Benefit Reading.
Never stop dreaming.

Ben

« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2010, 04:32:36 AM »

Morning all.

That is all.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2010, 04:42:52 AM »

Hmmmmmm - I shall have to hear some other choices for TOD.....I certainly like AVENUE Q....
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2010, 04:43:39 AM »

It is a work day today.....we are also having a free Aura Cleansing- Chakra Balancing Demonstration at 2 p.m. which means the store will be crowded with people looking for FREE stuff.....

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2010, 05:45:03 AM »

Well, I guess I'm up early thanks to an allergy attack - first one in a long, long time.  I've taken a pill.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2010, 05:49:34 AM »

Welcome nine GUESTS.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2010, 05:52:44 AM »

I shall now be off to work.  Oh well.

Danise

« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2010, 05:53:00 AM »

Good morning all!
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Danise

« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2010, 05:53:20 AM »

Have a good day at work, DR JRand!
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Danise

« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2010, 05:57:21 AM »

Looking forward to the last LOST but I'm going to miss it.  I also miss UGLY BETTY.  Sigh.

I have to go out and find a nice pair of heel shoes today.  Toby ate the only comfortable pair I had.  He's a good boy for the most part but he is a puppy and has made a few "mistakes".  I'm also learning to put the things out of his little mouths way.
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Danise

« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2010, 05:58:25 AM »

And I'm off to the hunt!
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2010, 06:01:04 AM »

I am merrily sneezing away waiting for the allergy pill to kick in.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2010, 06:46:37 AM »

Good morning, all! I slept in and now I am bathed and dressed and ready for whatever fresh hell comes down the pike.

Today I have to finish a big portion of THE ROSE OF ALGIERS so I can send the edits back to the conductor, and at 3:45 I will meet Bruce Pomahac at this new Dowling Music store on West 57th. We will browse, then go for dinner, and spend the evening watching DVDs and dishing. I bought earlier in the year his Christmas gift, but it's so good I think I will give it to him today.

DR vixmom, to answer your qustion from last night about my collection going to Miami U, there were two reasons: the first is that all the recording work I did for BK, the NY State Theatre Institute, other recordings, pretty much all my work from 1982-1999 has gone to the Library of Congress, but I stopped sending them things because of various disappointments, the last being the big disaster of LIFE BEGINS AT 8:40.

So, in 2008, because of the bed bug madness in the building I live in, I needed to clean out the apartment for extermination and further prevention; I inherited my mother's packrat gene, and this apartment was interesting, like a 19th Centry curio shop, but impossible to move around much.  After my dad's death, I had decided to redo my will to eliminate the Macbeths, and I decided then to leave the theatre collection and work to the Miami University Theatre Dept, since I am an alumnus, along with some royalty payments.

I threw out tons of old magazines, like the complete runs of AFTER DARK, and SHOW MUSIC, 10 years of GRAMOPHONE and FANFARE, and the Kurt Weill Foundation Newsletter, carted a ton of books to a dealer who offered me very little but it was take it or tote the books elsewhere. I threw out tons of videocassettes as well, and whatever didn't end up in the Manhattan Mini-Storage space I rented needed to be tossed or go somewhere, Every trash collection day, I dragged down two or three huge trashbags with things for the garbage men, but I still had a ton of books and personal things that needed to be sorted. My first thought was the Miami University Theatre Dept.  I called the director of theatre, Liz Mullenix, and asked if they would like all of the theatre-related books, plus a lot of librettos and scripts, like all of Noel Coward, Brecht, Ibsen, Chekhov, a ton of English versions of authors I like like Feydeau, Anoulh, Giraudoux, etc. Liz said yes, so I started packing up everything for the theatre.

Then, she decided there was really not enough space in the theatre dept for what I was threatening to send but she did offer from the dept's petty cash to pay for half the shipment to Oxford and she told me she would look into Special Collections at the Miami U Library. And that's how I met the wonderful Janet Stuckey, who's in charge of the Special Collections, and her staff. The initial shipment was huge, around 64 cartons as I recall, and there was a lot of tsuris about the cartons sitting in my buidlings 3rd floor hallway while I was waiting for the authorization to send them. They were finally shipped to Ohio around the end of February 2008 and later in the year I sent Janet another 20 or so. I sent more last year, and I'm up to 17 cartons to ship now.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2010, 07:18:55 AM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jennifer

« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2010, 06:49:00 AM »

I really wanted to watch the season finales of GHOST WHISPERER and MEDIUM last night. But I got home too late. I will definitely try to watch them today. Although my niece (the 1 year old) is being dropped off in a few minutes. Her mom (my sister) and sister (my niece) are going to Megan's best friend's 5th birthday party!

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2010, 07:08:09 AM »

And the word of the day is: BAKSHEESH!

And The Song Of The Day Is:  BIG SPENDER

Ginny

« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2010, 07:32:28 AM »

Saturday morning greetings!  DH Richard is off to the post office to pick up a week's worth of main - hope I gave him a big-enough tote bag.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #26 on: May 22, 2010, 07:42:08 AM »

thank you for sharing all that Elmore!  I am sure that generations of college students will benefit from your generosity.  I hope that you are able to gain some sort of tax benefit  - but of course that is FJL's area!!

I developed a packrat gene myself - in strict opposition to my mother's toss everything out gene -  I still think that the fact that i save everything dates back to the day when I was 12 and went to the library to research and write  a paper for school -  I was away for about 4 or 5 hours --

when I arrived home I found that my mother had ,in my absence, taken to the GoodWill every single one of my dolls, stuffed animals,doll crib, all my childhood books, etc - she decided I had "grown out" of them and therefore they were no longer needed - never considering that I might have had a sentimental attachment to at least some of them

The difference between my stuff and yours however is that no one else will probably ever want it!  (Except of course that ever present Good Will!)   
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

vixmom

« Reply #27 on: May 22, 2010, 07:46:54 AM »

On the other hand whenever the Vixter or her friends need costumesor props  for plays, schoolpresentations, Halloween etc they know to come here!!

vixmom

« Reply #28 on: May 22, 2010, 07:48:21 AM »

well I really slept in this morning - did not get up until 10 AM! I need to get moving so I can go visi WFO so laters!!!

Ben

« Reply #29 on: May 22, 2010, 08:10:01 AM »

It must be a sleep late day.

Anthony slept almost 12 hours. That's unheard of for him. He went to bed at 8:30pm and got up just after 8am. I, too, went to bed at 8:30 (we were both falling asleep in front of the television) but I got up at my usual 6am.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up