Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: THE TRENCH COAT  (Read 44446 times)

Cillaliz

Re: THE TRENCH COAT
« Reply #120 on: July 07, 2010, 05:18:08 PM »

No, actually I meant to mention that the timing of the subtitles was very good. I didn't feel like I missed anything. I am a fast reader, but the words were all centered on the screen, not too many at one time and I thought it made it easier to both read and see the screen at the same time.   

Cillaliz

« Reply #121 on: July 07, 2010, 05:21:50 PM »

Plus it seems to take 10 Swedish words to say one English word.  there was plenty of time to read

Cillaliz

« Reply #122 on: July 07, 2010, 05:22:37 PM »

Since I have it, I'm watching it again

Cillaliz

« Reply #123 on: July 07, 2010, 05:23:54 PM »

We just had us a leetle earthquake here in Los Angeles, California.  Very annoying.

Stop vibrating vibes....

Cillaliz

« Reply #124 on: July 07, 2010, 05:24:44 PM »

Magnitude-5.4 earthquake shakes Southern California, centered near Borrego Springs.

From CNN

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #125 on: July 07, 2010, 05:36:43 PM »

And now for something completely different, and to cheer up DR Elmore (I hope).  I've been learning to use my scanner today and have created an album of photographs from the production of YOU'RE A GOOD MAN, CHARLIE BROWN, for which DR Elmore made me try to learn to sing.  Here's the album on Facebook:

You're a Good Man, Charlie Brown

Great photos.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #126 on: July 07, 2010, 05:38:50 PM »

Anti-vibes for those in California. Or just plain calm.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #127 on: July 07, 2010, 05:44:28 PM »

Magnitude-5.4 earthquake shakes Southern California, centered near Borrego Springs.

From CNN

I'm surprised Bruce felt it.

Jane

« Reply #128 on: July 07, 2010, 05:45:47 PM »

No, actually I meant to mention that the timing of the subtitles was very good. I didn't feel like I missed anything. I am a fast reader, but the words were all centered on the screen, not too many at one time and I thought it made it easier to both read and see the screen at the same time.  

Good.  I'll tell Keith.  The house is cool enough so we'll watch on the big screen.  I also sit closer to that screen making it easier to see.

Ginny

« Reply #129 on: July 07, 2010, 05:46:25 PM »

Thank you, DRs Cillaliz and JohnG!

DR Jane, it was January 1976, so I'd just turned 25.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Jane

« Reply #130 on: July 07, 2010, 05:46:40 PM »

Plus it seems to take 10 Swedish words to say one English word.  there was plenty of time to read

;D

Jane

« Reply #131 on: July 07, 2010, 05:48:04 PM »

You looked younger.

Jennifer

« Reply #132 on: July 07, 2010, 05:48:50 PM »

DR Cillaliz, re: THE GIRL WITH THE DRAGON TATOO.

How did you watch it that you didn't have both the English subtitles and the English dubbed version? (since I assume the dvd has both).

I would be curious to watch it both ways.

I downloaded a rental from Amazon on my Roku.  It was the first time I did an Amazon rental so I had a $10 credit and got it free.  It's usually $2.99 to rent.  You download and can watch it for 3 days, but you have to pick how you want to view it and you don't get the specials, just the movie.  You do get it immediately however

But you have to watch it on your computer instead of on your tv?  I would not like this part.

Jennifer

« Reply #133 on: July 07, 2010, 05:50:04 PM »

I think I would choose the dubbed version. Although if it comes to my library I"m going to experiment with both.

The thing for me is I would need my glasses to read the subtitles. And I don't normally wear my glasses to watch tv.

Jennifer

« Reply #134 on: July 07, 2010, 05:51:26 PM »

DR Jane you really don't remember the violence?

That was my thought exactly,  DR Jennifer

;D  Since I'm being pressured ;) to remember it, I do.  There are parts I hope are not shown too great extent in the movie.  I don't remember finishing the book and thinking "gosh that was violent".

I didn't really find the book overly violent (although obviously it was violent).  But the movie is extremely graphic. And personally I would describe it as excessively violent.

Ginny

« Reply #135 on: July 07, 2010, 05:55:28 PM »

You looked younger.

:-*
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Jane

« Reply #136 on: July 07, 2010, 05:56:56 PM »

I think I would choose the dubbed version. Although if it comes to my library I"m going to experiment with both.

The thing for me is I would need my glasses to read the subtitles. And I don't normally wear my glasses to watch tv.

I should wear my distance glasses when I watch tv, instead I leave on my progressive lenses in order to see when I look away from the tv.  The glasses make it harder to read, still I like to hear the actors voices.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #137 on: July 07, 2010, 05:57:18 PM »

Might I just add - get me off this damn page.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #138 on: July 07, 2010, 05:57:41 PM »

I had a turkey sandwich and onion rings for lunch and I am now quite full.

Jane

« Reply #139 on: July 07, 2010, 05:57:46 PM »

DR Jane you really don't remember the violence?

That was my thought exactly,  DR Jennifer

;D  Since I'm being pressured ;) to remember it, I do.  There are parts I hope are not shown too great extent in the movie.  I don't remember finishing the book and thinking "gosh that was violent".

I didn't really find the book overly violent (although obviously it was violent).  But the movie is extremely graphic. And personally I would describe it as excessively violent.

I can understand why.  I have warned Keith without the details of the kind of violence.

Jane

« Reply #140 on: July 07, 2010, 05:58:04 PM »

Now I want onion rings.

John G.

« Reply #141 on: July 07, 2010, 06:02:26 PM »

Seems that Eddie Mekka, of whom much was written recently concerning his role in "Fiddler on the Roof," is now tackling another American classic: "Grease."

http://www.broadway.com/buzz/152937/eddie-mekka-to-hand-jive-in-grease-national-tour/

Dig the photo.

― Voltaire

Jennifer

« Reply #142 on: July 07, 2010, 06:03:01 PM »

For DR Cillaliz (and DR Jane when she watches the movie) The GIRL WITH THE DRAGON TATTOO

MOVIE/BOOK SPOILER

one two buckly my shoe one violence and two and then there were three then there when and where one
one two buckly my shoe one violence and two and then there were three then there when and where one
one two and then we went in the house and out there and then i say hey and they when they came around
I'm curious what you both think about one major plot point that was changed from the book.
1. Erika was barely in the movie (mikael's sometime lover and owner of millenium). She was only in it at the beginning and end, they never showed her visiting him, or even them being lovers.
2.And because of #1 i remember near the end of the book lisbeth saw mikael and erika kissing and she freaked when she realized she loved him. But none of this happened in the movie. Which is sort of weird because this seemed sort of important for the book. one two three four and then there were more one two three dour and then there were more
one two and then we went in the house and out there and then i say hey and they when they came arou

Jennifer

« Reply #143 on: July 07, 2010, 06:04:10 PM »

Although it's funny that I think i didn't find the first book violent DR Jane. But when I look back to the time i read it, I emailed you and wrote "i think the book is very violent!"

Jennifer

« Reply #144 on: July 07, 2010, 06:05:00 PM »

I think I will go watch SO YOU THINK YOU CAN DANCE now.

John G.

« Reply #145 on: July 07, 2010, 06:05:36 PM »

Had an excellent Pakistani dinner tonight. Teka Fish with potatoes (a kind of spicy saute),  lentils, chicken and chana masala made with garbanzo beans. Everything organic and halal and fresh. Dessert was a saffron rice pudding that was warm and comforting.
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #146 on: July 07, 2010, 06:07:05 PM »

For DR Cillaliz (and DR Jane when she watches the movie) The GIRL WITH THE DRAGON TATTOO

MOVIE/BOOK SPOILER

one two and then we went in the house and out there and then i say hey and they when they came around
I'm curious what you both think about one major plot point that was changed from the book.
1. Erika was barely in the movie (mikael's sometime lover and owner of millenium). She was only in it at the beginning and end, they never showed her visiting him, or even them being lovers.
2.And because of #1 i remember near the end of the book lisbeth saw mikael and erika kissing and she freaked when she realized she loved him. But none of this happened in the movie. Which is sort of weird because this seemed sort of important for the book. one two three four and then there were more one two three dour and then there were more
one two and then we went in the house and out there and then i say hey and they when they came arou

I'm wondering if the sequel films will deal more with that issue. I found it odd, until I considered the length of the film and them just realized that it wasn't quite as important as other aspects of the story.
― Voltaire

Jane

« Reply #147 on: July 07, 2010, 06:07:36 PM »

Although it's funny that I think i didn't find the first book violent DR Jane. But when I look back to the time i read it, I emailed you and wrote "i think the book is very violent!"

LOL. 

I now get what you were talking about earlier, the part I couldn't remember.  It is your "one two, etc" code before the spoiler, not anything to do with the violence. ;D

Jane

« Reply #148 on: July 07, 2010, 06:08:27 PM »

Had an excellent Pakistani dinner tonight. Teka Fish with potatoes (a kind of spicy saute),  lentils, chicken and chana masala made with garbanzo beans. Everything organic and halal and fresh. Dessert was a saffron rice pudding that was warm and comforting.

Sounds yummy.

Cillaliz

« Reply #149 on: July 07, 2010, 06:17:10 PM »

DR Cillaliz, re: THE GIRL WITH THE DRAGON TATOO.

How did you watch it that you didn't have both the English subtitles and the English dubbed version? (since I assume the dvd has both).

I would be curious to watch it both ways.

I downloaded a rental from Amazon on my Roku.  It was the first time I did an Amazon rental so I had a $10 credit and got it free.  It's usually $2.99 to rent.  You download and can watch it for 3 days, but you have to pick how you want to view it and you don't get the specials, just the movie.  You do get it immediately however

But you have to watch it on your computer instead of on your tv?  I would not like this part.

No, the Roku http://www.roku.com/roku-products is a little thing that connects to my TV and my wireless network in the house.  So the movie is downloaded and plays on the tv
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Up