Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: ALL THINGS CONSIDERED  (Read 43443 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re: ALL THINGS CONSIDERED
« Reply #60 on: July 08, 2010, 09:28:17 AM »

This LA weather has been so odd.  It is completely overcast and gray out.  Yesterday it was the same - until four, at which point the sun came out and it got really hot for two hours, then cooled down instantly.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #61 on: July 08, 2010, 09:29:26 AM »

Thanks, DRGinny-I hope you have a nice weekend away.

Thank you, DR KevinH - we're going to see DR Elmore in Canton, OH.

Bring extra money. I may need a loan to get back to Manhattan!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #62 on: July 08, 2010, 09:31:37 AM »

the original Full Score and Vocal Score for the first version of MADAME BUTTERFLY, which is a harsher version than the one normally performed.

"Harsher"  in dramatic content or "Harsher" in musical execution?

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #63 on: July 08, 2010, 09:37:13 AM »

the original Full Score and Vocal Score for the first version of MADAME BUTTERFLY, which is a harsher version than the one normally performed.

"Harsher"  in dramatic content or "Harsher" in musical execution?

der Brucer

Dramatic context; Pinkerton's a complete sexist bigot with no final aria. There are a lot of minor changes as well.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

MBarnum

« Reply #64 on: July 08, 2010, 09:38:24 AM »

Great leg breaking vibes for JRand, cast and crew!

MBarnum

« Reply #65 on: July 08, 2010, 09:46:56 AM »

A couple of reminders, for those that care and those that dare....

DRAGNET 1968 season was released this week...lots of interviews with with cast members and my friend Jackie Loughery, who was Jack Webb's wife for a time (a horrible experience, it was).

And, the new season of the competition show BIG BROTHER begins tonight! Next to THE AMAZING RACE, it is my favorite show of it's type.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #66 on: July 08, 2010, 09:54:19 AM »

Dramatic context; Pinkerton's a complete sexist bigot with no final aria. There are a lot of minor changes as well.

Well, Pinkerton expressing the giref he will have to bear does show "consequences".

Is the "harsher" version the Two Act Opera he later revised to three?

der Brucer

Time sure wreaks havoc on paper backs (and their readers). My poor Milton Cross Opera book has all the now-brown pages falling from the deteriortating spine - the book was pinted in 1955!

DERBRUCER

« Reply #67 on: July 08, 2010, 09:58:17 AM »

..those that dare....

Those that dare keep dating Doctors :D

der Brucer

Ginny

« Reply #68 on: July 08, 2010, 10:29:42 AM »

LOL, DR Elmore!  Will it help if we feed you while we're there?
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #69 on: July 08, 2010, 10:30:52 AM »

Just had a very nice telephonic interview with the gal who writes for Marilyn Beck.  I'll post a link whenever it shows up.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #70 on: July 08, 2010, 11:18:02 AM »

LOL, DR Elmore!  Will it help if we feed you while we're there?

If that transfer doesn't happen before Monday, I may be in serious trouble and i am not happy about it,

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #71 on: July 08, 2010, 11:25:56 AM »

Well, Pinkerton expressing the giref he will have to bear does show "consequences".

Is the "harsher" version the Two Act Opera he later revised to three?

Yep! After the 1904 premier at La Scala, he had three or four months to make changes for the next performances in Brescia. Act Two was divided, a scene at the American Consulate was cut (I think), and there were other adjustments as well. I think the opera went through two revisions and the final version is essentially the third.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #72 on: July 08, 2010, 11:40:20 AM »

Last night I commented that I wouldn't want to watch an amazon download if i had to watch it on my computer.

DR TCB asked why.

Cause my tv is MUCH bigger than my computer screen!

;D

Jane

« Reply #73 on: July 08, 2010, 11:42:56 AM »

There is nothing NOTHING that could make me be interested in reading a book OR seeing a movie called THE GIRL WITH THE DRAGON TATTOO......just as I have avoided THE SISTERHOOD OF THE TRAVELING PANTS and THE SECRETS OF THE YA YA SISTERHOOD....

NOTHING!!!

That isn't what you would be watching.  The true title of the movie is MEN WHO HATE WOMEN which is also the original title of the book.  Can you watch it now? ;)

Jane

« Reply #74 on: July 08, 2010, 11:43:31 AM »

WELCOME HOME DR KevinH!
« Last Edit: July 08, 2010, 11:52:37 AM by Jane »

Jane

« Reply #75 on: July 08, 2010, 11:44:49 AM »

Opening night break-a-leg vibes to DR JRand and the cast & crew of BLITHE SPIRIT!!!

DITTO!!!

Jane

« Reply #76 on: July 08, 2010, 11:45:28 AM »

BK et Al

The Second Movie in The Series Opens Tomorrow

THE GIRL WHO PLAYED WITH FIRE

:D

Jane

« Reply #77 on: July 08, 2010, 11:48:40 AM »

And just to be clear - I HATE and LOATHE movies with explicit violent action.

There is no explicit violence like those things you listed above. GIRL WITH THE DRAGON TATTOO is a different kind of violence. Btw, i'm curious if you and DR Jand watched it dubbed or with English subtitles. I'm curious if the dubbing is any good.

I'm also curious about people's enjoyment if they've read the book vs not having read the book. I knew what was going to happen. So it was different.

If you watch it again I suggest you watch it with English subtitles and experience the actors voices.  Cilla is correct that these subtitles are easier than most.

Keith, like Bruce, had not read the book.  He gave the movie five stars.

Jane

« Reply #78 on: July 08, 2010, 12:09:21 PM »

I personally felt The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo was one of the best adaptations of a book to a movie I have seen.  Where DR Jennifer was bothered by the changes, or deletions, from the novel I felt it was an improvement.  Most of the changes were the parts I wasn't keen on in the book.

There was not one bit of gratuitous violence in the movie and every moment was necessary to the story.  They could easily have made it more visual.  I agree with Bruce, excellent presentation. 

I also noticed the terrific music score and I don't always do that.  What I didn't notice was how long the movie is.

I had been nervous about the casting and how I would feel about the two leads.  Now it is difficult to imagine anyone else in the roles.

Jane

« Reply #79 on: July 08, 2010, 12:10:00 PM »

From Cilla:
We can still talk on the phone, eat dinner, put on make up, read the paper, watch tv....do anything but text

;D

Jane

« Reply #80 on: July 08, 2010, 12:10:17 PM »

DR DB, cute kitten photo.

Jane

« Reply #81 on: July 08, 2010, 12:10:31 PM »

DR MBarnum, how is DD Bosco?

Cillaliz

« Reply #82 on: July 08, 2010, 12:11:54 PM »

There is nothing NOTHING that could make me be interested in reading a book OR seeing a movie called THE GIRL WITH THE DRAGON TATTOO......just as I have avoided THE SISTERHOOD OF THE TRAVELING PANTS and THE SECRETS OF THE YA YA SISTERHOOD....

NOTHING!!!

I'll get 5 people to vote for you if you see the movie ;)   Would it help you to know that the Swedish title is Men Who Hate Women?

Cillaliz

« Reply #83 on: July 08, 2010, 12:12:51 PM »

BK et Al

Same cast?

Jennifer

« Reply #84 on: July 08, 2010, 12:15:59 PM »

There is no explicit violence like those things you listed above. GIRL WITH THE DRAGON TATTOO is a different kind of violence. Btw, i'm curious if you and DR Jand watched it dubbed or with English subtitles. I'm curious if the dubbing is any good.

I'm also curious about people's enjoyment if they've read the book vs not having read the book. I knew what was going to happen. So it was different.

Ah, the dubbing - I forgot to mention it in the notes, so thanks for bringing it up.  I watched the film in Swedish with subtitles - easy to read and follow and that's the only way I'll watch a foreign film anyway.  After, I switched over to the dubbed track to see what it was like - HORRENDOUSLY BAD.  Especially whoever voiced the lead guy is terrible.  The girl isn't much better, and it's just a typical 1960s-like terrible foreign film dub - it should be avoided like the plague.

When i saw the movie in january i had a choice of Swedish with French subtitles or dubbed French with French subtitles. Since French is my second language I didn't think I would find it easy to listen to Swedish and try to read French. So i watched the dubbed version. And i thought it was really well done. Although i don't really watch dubbed movies to know how it would compare.

Cillaliz

« Reply #85 on: July 08, 2010, 12:18:30 PM »

Ok, I didn't read all the posts before posting the Swedish title of the movie, funny how many of us mentioned it.

Jane

« Reply #86 on: July 08, 2010, 12:20:18 PM »

BK et Al

Same cast?

I believe they filmed all three movies consecutively.

Cillaliz

« Reply #87 on: July 08, 2010, 12:23:55 PM »

I went to lunch with Paul today and he said he stopped at a friend's house last night just in time to watch....you guessed it "The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo"  .  He absolutely loved it.   We discussed the violence and he said he didn't notice any....then he said ....well I guess... and went on to describe the "exacting revenge" 
I agree with those who say it wasn't a violent film in terms of seeing graphic violence.  I was very impressed by that.  I thought the book was much more violent. 
I think I have one more day on the download.  I may watch it tonight....then again, i may clean house

Cillaliz

« Reply #88 on: July 08, 2010, 12:24:43 PM »

So Paul said they found a partially finished 4th novel in Sieg Larsson's computer when he died.  Is that a rumor or is it true?

Jennifer

« Reply #89 on: July 08, 2010, 12:25:24 PM »

If you watch it again I suggest you watch it with English subtitles and experience the actors voices.  Cilla is correct that these subtitles are easier than most.

Keith, like Bruce, had not read the book.  He gave the movie five stars.

Yeah if my library gets the movie i will definitely watch it with English subtitles. But i'd also like to try the dubbed version.  I am curious if the dubbed version is shown anywhere?

For some reason I feel like the french dubbed version would be what they show in theatres here. But i'm not sure. If the English dubbed version is only for the dvd maybe they took less care than the french dubbing to get good voices.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Up