Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: I REMEMBER IT WELL  (Read 41613 times)

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
Re: I REMEMBER IT WELL
« Reply #60 on: July 15, 2010, 12:30:34 PM »

one two buckle my shoe

three four open the door

five six pick up the sticks

seven eight....ain't "Big Brother" great?

Thanks, Jennifer!
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #61 on: July 15, 2010, 12:55:56 PM »

It must be a week for finishing books--I finally got through the Charles M. Schulz bio on the train this morning.  Very sad.  For all his success, his fame and his wealth, for all the happiness he instilled in the fans of his Peanuts, the man lived a life of bitterness and regret and never truly felt he was ever loved by anyone to the very end.

As for the book itself, I found it to be wildly uneven.  The author, David Michaelis, goes into such minute details in many aspects of Schulz's life but almost totally ignores others.  For instance, I've learned more about the husband of the woman who was the life model of the Little Red Headed Girl than of most of Schulz's own children, who remain ciphers throughout the book.  Also, Michaelis takes a few tangents from biography and slips into analyzing the Peanuts strip.  While what he has to say about it is interesting, he pretty much ignores the early years of the strip along with any discussion of some of the major characters like Peppermint Patty.

All in all, I guess I'm glad that I read it even though my feelings about its subject have been vastly altered (Charles M. Schulz was one of my childhood heroes.)  I feel a need to go back and read the Peanuts collections to remind myself that I fell in love with the work and not the man.
I was not thrilled with the bio either. I know many people who make others laugh are often depressed or otherwise downhearted. But I had a problem with the writing. So there's little known about Schulz's early years. Why not say so, instead of analyzing a family photograph and trying to interpret how that fits in with a rather lame theory on the man's life. The author spent way too much time on a single photo as his only source for the early years and ended up with way too much conjecture.

In other words, too much Michaelis and not enough Schulz.  

Exactly said, DR John G
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaďs Nin

Ginny

« Reply #62 on: July 15, 2010, 02:01:07 PM »

I am off to the grocery store to buy one (or two) of each - bye for now!

one or two of what?

That's just my way of saying that we needed EVERYTHING, DR Elmore.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ginny

« Reply #63 on: July 15, 2010, 02:14:02 PM »

DR Ginny. It's been years since I was in your town. And I can't remember asking this before, but is either Chardelle Webber or Iona (last name escapes me) still with us? They were the newspaper's gossip/hometown news writers for years. Iona's column was called Incidentally.

DR John G - As far as I can determine, Iona is still around, but I have a vague recollection that Chardy passed away.  She and my late mother-in-law were friends, which helped my wedding picture get a nice placement in the paper the morning after the event.  I will try to verify my speculations and get back to you.  There's really very little local "presence" to the Journal any more.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #64 on: July 15, 2010, 02:54:10 PM »

DR Ginny. It's been years since I was in your town. And I can't remember asking this before, but is either Chardelle Webber or Iona (last name escapes me) still with us? They were the newspaper's gossip/hometown news writers for years. Iona's column was called Incidentally.

DR John G - As far as I can determine, Iona is still around, but I have a vague recollection that Chardy passed away.  She and my late mother-in-law were friends, which helped my wedding picture get a nice placement in the paper the morning after the event.  I will try to verify my speculations and get back to you.  There's really very little local "presence" to the Journal any more.

Did you call JoAnn? More importantly, did the cordials arrive in great shape?
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #65 on: July 15, 2010, 03:17:22 PM »

Whatever happened to the Marilyn Beck interview that wasn't conducted by Marilyn beck because Marilyn Beck is retired?
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #66 on: July 15, 2010, 03:22:06 PM »

The Beck interview is online for the next week or so - I'm not sure of the address, but do a Google and you'll find it.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #67 on: July 15, 2010, 03:24:01 PM »

My helper and I got everything done that needed doing - did the royalty statement, did the publishing stuff, did the Costco run (and I now have pretty roses in the house and lots of low cal low fat snacks for my sweet tooth), and shipped a few things.  After she left, I picked up a couple of packages and no mail, then ate a sandwich and onion rings.  I'm full, I'm tired, and since I got the Warners noir box I think I'll watch a movie or three.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #68 on: July 15, 2010, 03:24:06 PM »

Is anybody else watching SO YOU THINK YOU CAN DANCE?  Sad another injury. And my favorite people keep going down.

THEY SHOOT HOURSES DON'T THEY?
“One thing’s universal,

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #69 on: July 15, 2010, 03:24:23 PM »

Oh, and get me off this damn page.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #70 on: July 15, 2010, 03:30:38 PM »

BK, if you and this Genghis Cohen woman are going to be courtin' (and possibly even sparkin') don't you think she ought to get her tush over her to HHW, so that she can meet your family and see if we approve?
“One thing’s universal,

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #71 on: July 15, 2010, 03:32:44 PM »

Sorry to hear that about the Journal. I can now look back fondly on my year there. There were many great experiences, from all the Cincinnati Reds games I saw courtesy the paper to just being with good people, several of whom I'm still in touch with. It probably wasn't the best job for a young someone who wanted to be in a much livelier environment at that time.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #72 on: July 15, 2010, 03:35:04 PM »

“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #73 on: July 15, 2010, 03:37:12 PM »

Be very careful of e-mails from paypal - if it seems at all suspicious (saying you ordered something for ninety bucks of thereabouts) and that it wants you to visit your account, do not click on any of the links from the e-mail directly.  I've gotten several of these today - for me it was easy to tell it was fake because it went to an address I never use for amazon stuff.  So, if you have ANY question or doubt, go to amazon directly and NOT through the e-mail links.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #74 on: July 15, 2010, 03:37:53 PM »

Oh, I don't know that we'll be goin' courtin' - but I will suggest she pay a visit.

Ginny

« Reply #75 on: July 15, 2010, 03:49:35 PM »

Calling JoAnn is on my agenda for tomorrow.  All the other chocolate arrived safe & sound, so I assume the cordials are fine.  Shall I open the box and sample one just to make sure  ;)

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #76 on: July 15, 2010, 03:49:39 PM »

Well, didja ever?

Can you believe the number-one hot topic in the Gold Box Forum is STILL the one about whether folks wash their towels after only 1 use?
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #77 on: July 15, 2010, 03:50:43 PM »

All the other chocolate arrived safe & sound, so I assume the cordials are fine.  Shall I open the box and sample one just to make sure  ;)

You'd better sample two...

Ginny

« Reply #78 on: July 15, 2010, 03:59:49 PM »

Off to find out how my book group friends liked reading graphic novels - bye for now!

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #79 on: July 15, 2010, 04:00:59 PM »

Slow news day!
“One thing’s universal,

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #80 on: July 15, 2010, 04:01:56 PM »

Calling JoAnn is on my agenda for tomorrow.  All the other chocolate arrived safe & sound, so I assume the cordials are fine.  Shall I open the box and sample one just to make sure  ;)

I love Jo, but if you tamper with her cherry cordials, she'll cut you. Now, you've been warned! :)
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #81 on: July 15, 2010, 04:02:39 PM »

Slow news day!

That's what comes from livin' in Sleepy Hollow West!

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #82 on: July 15, 2010, 04:06:15 PM »

T.O.D.

I watched MTM and AITF whenever I wasn't doing a show or rehearsing a show(which wasn't all that often).  I can't say that either show was a favorite.  I don't think I could name a favorite episode of either show.
“One thing’s universal,

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #83 on: July 15, 2010, 04:16:59 PM »

UPS just brought me Season Five of THE CLOSER and my friend Chris' band's Hanukkah album.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #84 on: July 15, 2010, 04:25:21 PM »

And here's Chris' band Gods of Fire. They never win the dreidel spinning contest and I've given up hope.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #85 on: July 15, 2010, 04:29:02 PM »

The publisher approved my book cover, so now it's posted on FB and other sites.

:)

Jane

« Reply #86 on: July 15, 2010, 04:30:04 PM »

One of my favorite episodes was when she moved to her new apartment and, after all the excitement died down, she stood alone in the middle of the living room and wailed, "I hate it!"

that is what I did when  I bought my house!

That's sad.  I hope you felt differently as you made it your own.

Jane

« Reply #87 on: July 15, 2010, 04:38:17 PM »

Off to find out how my book group friends liked reading graphic novels - bye for now!

My book group has decided to discourage this kind of discussion.  We prefer to all read the same book.

Jane

« Reply #88 on: July 15, 2010, 04:39:31 PM »

From Vixmom:
these 14 hour days are killing me -

I thought things were going to slow down.  Is there any end in sight?

Jane

« Reply #89 on: July 15, 2010, 04:40:04 PM »

From Laura:
Kitten Sam fell asleep in my arms.

Awww!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Up