Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down

Author Topic: I MUST DANCE!  (Read 9457 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re: I MUST DANCE!
« Reply #120 on: August 18, 2010, 08:35:51 PM »

Here's the link to the German site with the cut Psycho footage - I do think I posted this at some point yesterday:

http://www.movie-censorship.com/report.php?ID=1921

Cillaliz

« Reply #121 on: August 18, 2010, 08:36:07 PM »

I think if you broke your arm you'd know it. I knew it. Boy, did I know it.

When I had the two hairline fractures in my wrist I immediately knew even though no one believed it until the x-rays.  When I broke my shoulder in four places I didn't know it. ;D  I assure you the pain level was so high I should have known.  I began to suspect on the way to the hospital I would need surgery.

Seriously, I thought I broke it when it happened.  I was shocked after icing it that everything seemed to work

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #122 on: August 18, 2010, 08:37:30 PM »

I'll go check out South Pacific now.

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
« Reply #123 on: August 18, 2010, 08:37:40 PM »

Good morning, all!

Apropros of not much: Reading the notes about Stravinsky, I'm reminded of when I first listened to "Rite of Spring" (Le sacre du printemps for all you French snobs out there) in an undergraduate music elective, and was absolutely blown away. Back then, I had just started to explore Sondheim's works, so hearing an earlier composer using "dissonances" melodically was an absolute thrill.

Somewhere in my LP collection is a recording of "Rite of Spring" performed as a two-piano piece from Stravinsky's early scoring (i.e. what the Ballet Russe rehearsed to before they got the full orchestra in). I really have to dig that up again...

In one of our music theory classes we spent the whole quarter on the Rite of Spring. We had to do a piano reduction, conduct it, other stuff I can't remember. It was fun to delve so deeply into one piece. The professor was obsessed with it.
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #124 on: August 18, 2010, 08:39:22 PM »

Here's the link to the German site with the cut Psycho footage - I do think I posted this at some point yesterday:

http://www.movie-censorship.com/report.php?ID=1921

Thanks--very interesting.

The only post by you I saw yesterday said "here's the link:" followed by nothing.  :)  It was your Zen moment.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

JMK

« Reply #125 on: August 18, 2010, 08:41:46 PM »

The Stravinsky two piano version of Le Sacre is performed quite regularly.  I've done it a few times and it's a bear.  In fact I think I posted here some time ago about a very interesting ballet DVD I reviewed which had the dancers performing first to the 4 hander and then to the orchestrated version.

Though BK is right that the Columbia releases conducted by Igor are wonderful and wonderful sounding, it's my considered opinion that the master was sometimes not the best conductor of his own material.  Much like Copland, I might add.  ;)

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

JMK

« Reply #126 on: August 18, 2010, 08:42:45 PM »

It is interesting to hear Stravinsky's different approaches on material he conducted several times over the years.

Edisaurus

« Reply #127 on: August 18, 2010, 08:44:37 PM »

Everybody must have been watching SOUTH PACIFIC.  I had some quibbles with the TV direction.

'night!

We haven't even gotten to intermission yet! I have some quibbles about the audio...
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

Cillaliz

« Reply #128 on: August 18, 2010, 08:49:52 PM »

I enjoyed watching South Pacific!

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #129 on: August 18, 2010, 08:50:18 PM »

Night, all.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

Cillaliz

« Reply #130 on: August 18, 2010, 08:50:50 PM »

Today is DR Jhvw and his twin david's birthday!

Cillaliz

« Reply #131 on: August 18, 2010, 08:52:58 PM »

Jon had a good day.  He's getting over a cold, but that's about it.  He's starting back to school this fall and will continue restoring historic buildings with his friend Joe.  He's actually doing the work I read about.  He's been trained in lead paint removal and all the other stuff you have to be trained in.   He'll keep working on the days he's not in class.  He told me he's buff now...

Edisaurus

« Reply #132 on: August 18, 2010, 08:53:22 PM »

I saw South Pacific with LeBeque played by an understudy who looks like one of the guys in the ensemble. And Nellie was played by Laura Osnes...Kelli O'Hara was on pregnancy leave. So I'm glad I get to see her in as Nelly. I did like Laura; she was a very good dancer, too!

Cillaliz

« Reply #133 on: August 18, 2010, 08:54:37 PM »

Better go.  I really do need to get up very early and want to be rested.  Night

Sam

• " The best things in life are free "
« Reply #134 on: August 18, 2010, 09:07:45 PM »

Bed time is 10PM, it's now 8:59, think I'll watch  The Robe  for a hour.
"Shoot for the moon.  Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars..."  (Unknown)

Sam

« Reply #135 on: August 18, 2010, 09:08:21 PM »

NO BAD DREAMS FOR ANYONE.   ;)
"Shoot for the moon.  Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars..."  (Unknown)

Sam

« Reply #136 on: August 18, 2010, 09:09:03 PM »

VIBES, VIBES, AND MORE VIBES FOR A GOOD THURSDAY.
 ;D

Sam

« Reply #137 on: August 18, 2010, 09:12:23 PM »

I miss the fireworks from the fair that just ended.  But I still do hear the train every night.

This weekend to the beach.  :-[  I've been here since March and have not put my toes in the sand.

Sad  :(

Sam

« Reply #138 on: August 18, 2010, 09:12:37 PM »

Night all.

Sam

« Reply #139 on: August 18, 2010, 09:14:51 PM »

Love, love, love.   Rite of Spring.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #140 on: August 18, 2010, 09:19:47 PM »

The audio on South Pacific is horrible.  And the director is spending most of his time trying to make sure we don't see the mics on the actors - note to director:  Shoot the show - it's not brain surgery.  And he completely blew the magical orchestra reveal by cutting to the conductor BEFORE it happened - Directing 101 would be a good place for this director to start - I haven't seen who it is but one has a suspicion, oh, yes, one has a suspicion.

FJL

« Reply #141 on: August 18, 2010, 09:38:44 PM »

Is Bartlett Sher also doing the direction for TV?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #142 on: August 18, 2010, 09:56:39 PM »

I can't imagine he would be this inept.  There's only one guy who seems to now do all the TV/show things - we'll see if it's him when we get to the end.  You do know I'm coming to NY, don't you, FJL?

Edisaurus

« Reply #143 on: August 18, 2010, 10:04:53 PM »

Greg, suffering from credit whiplash, thinks he saw Alan Skog listed as the director.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #144 on: August 19, 2010, 12:05:08 AM »

I haven't watched it, but I did record South Pacific.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #145 on: August 19, 2010, 12:05:30 AM »

Tomorrow at work, we're having our annual summer pot-luck!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #146 on: August 19, 2010, 12:06:42 AM »

I baked some Schwann's frozen chocolate cookie dough for home-baked chocolate chip cookies. :D

George

« Reply #147 on: August 19, 2010, 12:07:44 AM »

I also had a couple of boxes of banana bread mix, so I made some banana bread muffins.  I don't have a loaf pan to make banana bread, so I made cupcakes.

George

« Reply #148 on: August 19, 2010, 12:08:58 AM »

The bananas that I had were quite ripe (and very brown), but they made good banana bread muffins...I had to make sure that they were good.

George

« Reply #149 on: August 19, 2010, 12:09:20 AM »

And since we're so close...
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up