Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: I MUST DANCE!  (Read 9271 times)

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
Re: I MUST DANCE!
« Reply #60 on: August 18, 2010, 11:46:09 AM »

THE QUIET MAN is one of my very favorite films, but there are some shots in there that are strange if not downright wacky.

When I was in Ireland back in 1999, I visited the village of Cong where the movie was filmed.  Indeed, the entire economy of that town is now based on the fact that THE QUIET MAN was shot there.  There's "THE QUIET MAN pub," THE QUIET MAN laundry," etc.

I have some photographs of the village in my upcoming book.

LOL!  I was thinking about how nice it would be to look for TQM locations in Ireland as I was watching the movie last night.  I should have known that it would all be commercialized.

"...and for an evening of impetuous and Homeric romance, be sure to spend a night at the Woman of the House Inn.  Free souvenir stick to beat your lovely lady.  Wipe your feet!"

Actually, they've rebuilt the cottage that Wayne/O'Hara lived in.  It's a museum.

I have a photo of it in the book.

I'm looking forward to that.

Have you ever seen my picture of the schoolhouse from THE BIRDS?  I'll have to dig it out for you...
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #61 on: August 18, 2010, 11:47:46 AM »

I just typed in your zip coade and got the same bad info!
« Last Edit: August 18, 2010, 12:36:58 PM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #62 on: August 18, 2010, 11:48:13 AM »

Page Three Dance:

And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #63 on: August 18, 2010, 11:51:08 AM »

Me at THE BIRDS schoolhouse, which is actually a loooooong trek up the road from Bodega Bay.  Those kids really had to sprint to get away from the crows...

IIRC, the schoolhouse was a bed and breakfast.
-- Anaïs Nin

PennyO

• Ah, if I knew then what I know now...
    • Penny Orloff
« Reply #64 on: August 18, 2010, 12:02:42 PM »

Kidz!!! I'm high in the sky over northern California on my way back to Seattle, RIGHT THIS MINUTE!!! OH, m'gosh!! Wireless internet while flying (speaking of flying gazelles!!) is so mind-blowing!!!!
PennyO

PennyO

• Ah, if I knew then what I know now...
    • Penny Orloff
« Reply #65 on: August 18, 2010, 12:03:12 PM »

So, onward and upward!!! more later, probably!
PennyO

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #66 on: August 18, 2010, 12:04:26 PM »

Wednesday morning greetings!  Good sleeping last night with our windows open.  Today we're going to Kenwood Towne Center for my Vera visit and then come home to rest and enjoy SOUTH PACIFIC on PBS.

I keep forgetting about SOUTH PACIFIC.  I wonder why the 8:30 start time?

Maybe it's a delayed broadcast?

It starts at 8:00 pm on the Seattle PBS station.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #67 on: August 18, 2010, 12:11:46 PM »

Kidz!!! I'm high in the sky over northern California on my way back to Seattle, RIGHT THIS MINUTE!!! OH, m'gosh!! Wireless internet while flying (speaking of flying gazelles!!) is so mind-blowing!!!!

The Miracle of Modern Technology! ;D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #68 on: August 18, 2010, 12:12:30 PM »

The sucky thing about these three hour plus GREAT PERFORMANCES broadcasts (of which SOUTH PACIFIC will be a part of tonight) is that while I'll have no problem recording the entire broadcast, my DVD recorder cannot burn anything longer than a two hours to a disc.  I can still copy an entire show to disc, but I have no control over where the split will occur.  There's always the hope that a GREAT PERFORMANCES broadcast will be sold commercially, but I have the feeling that the R&H organization won't allow this one to go immediately on the market.

I really need to get off my butt and start looking for a Blu-Ray player and recorder so I can save these longer broadcasts to one disc.

My DVD burner can be set to record any length of time on a DVD...of course, the more time, the lower the quality. 

You could put act one on one disc and act two on another.  Just a suggestion.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #69 on: August 18, 2010, 12:21:18 PM »

Penny in the sky with wireless!
-- Anaïs Nin

Jennifer

« Reply #70 on: August 18, 2010, 12:30:01 PM »

According to the "Live From Lincoln Center" site, it will be shown at 8 pm, not 8:30 on Channel 13.
http://www.pbs.org/livefromlincolncenter/airdates.html

I keep getting "[an error occurred while processing this directive]" for my local PBS station when I lookup the show time.

Grrrrrrrr...

Does your tv have a schedule? The local paper? Weekly tv guide?

One of my PBS stations has it from 8-11pm and the other from 9-midnight. But i think many are reshowing it this weekend.

Jennifer

« Reply #71 on: August 18, 2010, 12:30:52 PM »

I think I figured out why my legs were hurting this morning.  It was very windy on my way back yesterday. So i think it took a lot of extra leg power.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #72 on: August 18, 2010, 12:53:45 PM »

According to the "Live From Lincoln Center" site, it will be shown at 8 pm, not 8:30 on Channel 13.
http://www.pbs.org/livefromlincolncenter/airdates.html

I keep getting "[an error occurred while processing this directive]" for my local PBS station when I lookup the show time.

Grrrrrrrr...

Does your tv have a schedule? The local paper? Weekly tv guide?

One of my PBS stations has it from 8-11pm and the other from 9-midnight. But i think many are reshowing it this weekend.

Im just going to tell Tivo to start recording at 8:00.  If it doesn't start at 8:00, I'll just reset to 8:30.
-- Anaïs Nin

Ginny

« Reply #73 on: August 18, 2010, 01:04:00 PM »

Back from a delightful outing that had nothing to do with my physical condition - how refreshing!  Visited the Vera Bradley store and chatted briefly with my friend Patty from northern KY.  Just did my 15:30 walk and realized that I'm now more than halfway to the 30/day goal of Phase 1!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #74 on: August 18, 2010, 01:25:14 PM »

Rehearsal was fun and Alet is a wonder.  Shelly isn't nearly familiar enough with the arrangements we did - so he'll work tonight on his own so he's more prepared tomorrow.  Alet will be back, then Jason, Damon, and hopefully Lesli.  Pam doesn't work until the day before the show.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #75 on: August 18, 2010, 01:25:53 PM »

I have a late lunch meeting at the West Hollywood Hugo's at two-thirty.  Must have something different today.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #76 on: August 18, 2010, 02:19:56 PM »

Ooh-ooh! Cold Wipes!  Cold Wipes!
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #77 on: August 18, 2010, 02:23:40 PM »

I think I figured out why my legs were hurting this morning.  It was very windy on my way back yesterday. So i think it took a lot of extra leg power.

You should have worn one of these!!!
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #78 on: August 18, 2010, 03:27:33 PM »

It's nearly one hour since my last post....and the last post to this forum.

Is.any.body.there?

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #79 on: August 18, 2010, 03:30:17 PM »

I think if you broke your arm you'd know it. I knew it. Boy, did I know it.

When I had the two hairline fractures in my wrist I immediately knew even though no one believed it until the x-rays.  When I broke my shoulder in four places I didn't know it. ;D  I assure you the pain level was so high I should have known.  I began to suspect on the way to the hospital I would need surgery.

Ginny

« Reply #80 on: August 18, 2010, 03:34:15 PM »

One of my Vera Bradley Facebook friends has granted me permission to use one of her quotes as my cardio rehab motto:

"That which doesn't kill you shouldn't get a second chance to."  --Trisha Hamilton
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Jane

« Reply #81 on: August 18, 2010, 03:36:30 PM »

Kittens:

John:

What wonderful interesting face markings! :)

Funny quote from your little neighbor. ;D

Jane

« Reply #82 on: August 18, 2010, 03:39:14 PM »

That will do it.

Jane

« Reply #83 on: August 18, 2010, 03:39:39 PM »

Back from a delightful outing that had nothing to do with my physical condition - how refreshing!  Visited the Vera Bradley store and chatted briefly with my friend Patty from northern KY.  Just did my 15:30 walk and realized that I'm now more than halfway to the 30/day goal of Phase 1!

:D :D

Jane

« Reply #84 on: August 18, 2010, 03:46:24 PM »

After Keith's colonoscopy today we had a short walk around town and ate lunch out.  Thanks to the storm last night the morning was pleasant.  While Keith had the procedure I did an errand and then took Sherlock for a nice walk around the outside of the park.  Because we were stopped so often while people admired Sherlock Keith was actually ready a few minutes before I reached my car to drive the few minutes to pick him up.   During lunch people stopped every few minutes to pet Sherlock & chat with us about him.  Almost everyone passing exclaimed about his size or beauty.

Keith only had two small polyps this time. :)

Jane

« Reply #85 on: August 18, 2010, 04:06:26 PM »

While driving in town this morning I saw a stag with four doe and two fawns crossing the street.  Since there wasn't anyone behind me (quiet street) I stopped to watch them.

KevinH

« Reply #86 on: August 18, 2010, 04:17:48 PM »

Less than an hour till South Pacific! It's scheduled for 8 pm on the DC and Maryland PBS stations. 

KevinH

« Reply #87 on: August 18, 2010, 04:19:03 PM »

I'm so happy I'll be able to re-live this show.  I saw it twice--in Feb .2009 with my friend from England and last November.  The cast is so great!

Ginny

« Reply #88 on: August 18, 2010, 04:24:38 PM »

DR Jane - I'm so impressed that Keith was able to function after his procedure and glad it went well with a good outcome.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #89 on: August 18, 2010, 04:47:38 PM »

I will be getting partial plates from the dental clinic, and today I had another tooth extracted to facilitate the procedure. When my mother was about my age, she had nearly every tooth in her head pulled for plates. While i'd rather keep what i have, 20 years of no dental insurance and congenitally missing teeth because of my Appalachian white trash background have made the plates a necessary evil and I hope i come to love them.

While the pain is not so excruciating as the last extraction in July, it is still painful, and I'm just uncomfortable enough to be unhappy about it. I just took two Tylenol with codeine and a Tylenol PM. As soon as I know the VCR is taping SOUTH PACIFIC, I am turning off the lights and passing out. I have to be up tomorrow morning at 6:30 for the McGlinnventory, and I want to get plenty of rest tonight.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up